Outdoors
Sponsored by

My dog growled at my wife

25,726 Views | 194 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bpriefert
S.A. Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jbob04 said:

Where did OP go?

Burying the dog.
Slawster
Was she trying to pull him by the collar?
El Chupacabra
Take the dog to the range for ballistics testing!
warrington74
AG
Time to make a decision.

Your wife

Or

Your dog

She will always relay back to this decision in your marriage.
combat wombat™
AG
I'm a dog lover and a wife.

I don't know that you need to put the dog to sleep, but your wife should never have to be afraid in her own home. If you are going to be out of the house put the dog in its kennel. If you are going to be out of town, boqrd the dog at a kennel.. Your wife should not have to be responsible for even the most minor of dog care activities if she has fear of the dog.

That said, if you can do something to establish with the dog that the wife is alpha over her that would be a good thing. Dog thinks it's in charge.
fixer
The crap my lab put up with without a bark snarl or even a faint growl was astonishing. This was when she was young.

When she got very, very old and had bad hips she could get a nasty attitude. This was a large reason I had her put down. Too much serious liability with her being around rowdy kids all the time.

Still I had to teach my in-laws kid to ( please!!!) not chase my dog around with a hatchet, or hit her anymore with a hammer ( lol) , or belt.
rootube
AG
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Treat the dog for an acute Lead deficiency

Or

Assess things in context and consider training or the above kenneling solutions when you are away
PneumAg
AggieOO said:

We can agree to disagree.

IMO, it's the individual dog, not necessarily the breed. I've seen aggressive dogs across all breeds, and also known lots of pits that were docile. But I know I won't change your mind, so go ahead and roll your eyes.

No.we can't agree you disagree. We can be right, and you can be wrong, because you're wrong.
AggieOO
ok buddy. have a nice day.
Texasyankee
When our dog growled at my wife, she swept its legs out from under him and pinned him to the ground by laying on him to assert that he was beta to her as well as me. Also simple things like making sure YOU lead them through doors and controlling when they eat can go a long way.

Not sure this will work with every dog, and it takes a strong will and forcible energy to accomplish this. Say what you will, dogs can sense fear and trepidation. When dogs sense that, they challenge. You have to prove them wrong.
RDV-1992
The dog was on the bed - she had curled up in the pillows. My wife was getting into the bed and pushed/tried to push her aside. That's when the dog growled. I've heard her growl in bed previously, but it was never at a person. Maybe at a cat, or some random scent? Idk.

Sorry I don't have a ton of time to follow this discussion. I'll try to check back in tonight.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
RDV-1992 said:

Dog in question is a roughly 5 to 6 year old pit mix

First mistake was mentioning "pit" on TexAgs. You'll never get through to any of the good ol' boys who post here, nor will you get unbiased advice now that you've let the cat out of the bag. Good luck with your pup.
AggieTarheel
AG
OP, you sure the dog has perfect vision? Or that your wife wasn't in the sun or in a shadow? Dog's perspective may have been confusing and he growled until he was sure. More likely with you gone. Means nothing except he was scared. More pits react from fear than true aggression. If they're fearful and not aggressive it can be trained out of them with work. I have one I have to work with but her capacity for damage is far lower than most pits (having a smaller jaw and head). If she was larger, I would have had a tough decision.
trouble
AG
Was the dog sleeping?
Jbob04
AG
RDV-1992 said:

The dog was on the bed - she had curled up in the pillows. My wife was getting into the bed and pushed/tried to push her aside. That's when the dog growled. I've heard her growl in bed previously, but it was never at a person. Maybe at a cat, or some random scent? Idk.

Sorry I don't have a ton of time to follow this discussion. I'll try to check back in tonight.

If the dog was asleep, that makes sense then.
NoahAg
"He was such a sweet dog. He'd never hurt anyone!"

/Every pit owner after it mauls a 2 year old to death
Ulrich
It's not just why the dog was growling (although I assume that if she thought it was worth bringing up later that the dog wasn't growling because he wanted to play), it's also the relative strength of the dog and the person. My 50 pound mutt growling at me is a lot different than an 80 pound block of muscle growling at a woman half my size and strength. You don't have to know the breed to know that one situation is a lot more dangerous than the other.

Bigger stronger dogs ought to have a shorter leash on this sort of thing, and pits are extremely strong.
BCOBQ98
AG
Most dog trainers would say that dogs shouldn't be sleeping in the bed with you nor on the furniture. They need to understand their place and this teaches them they are on par with you.

That said, I don't follow this with my 15lb Jack Russel.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Obviously a Sock said:

A good friend of mine got a Doberman not long after getting married. Both he and his wife absolutely loved that dog. The day she got home from the hospital after delivering their firstborn, she put the baby into his crib and the dog came over and started growling at the baby and made a single bark. The dog didn't do anything more than that, but it was over immediately. Easy decision.
While I understand the decision, what did they expect? You have to train your dog in this scenario (bringing home firstborn), and hopefully they are trainable and listen to you. There are ways to introduce the family addition and get the dog used to it. You have to let them know they are not alpha to anyone in the house.

Like the guy before me just said, the issue is a lot of people don't train their dog much or have many boundaries, then when it comes time where they actually need to do it for a reason like this, they can't do it and they take the easy way out.
TarponChaser
We had Irish Setters when I was really little and when I was about 3 I rode my tricycle across the tail of Seamus who was sleeping in the sun at my grandparents old farm. He snapped at me and bit me on the head. I still have a very thin, faint scar on one temple from that. You know what my parents and grandparents did after they stopped me crying & bleeding? Told me not to run over the dog when it was sleeping.

My sister has a scar on her lip where she got bit by the English Setter our neighbors had. Jack was sleeping and she was messing with him and he snapped at her biting through her upper lip. Again, want to know what our parents did after getting her settled down and cleaned up and then taking her to get stitches? Told her to not mess with a sleeping dog.
AggieOO
can't believe your parents didn't disembowel those two dogs on the spot and put their heads on stakes. Those dogs could have ripped your face off.
MrWonderful
AG
Makes a big difference to me in this scenario if the dog was asleep or not. I can see a pretty simple scenario where she startled him awake and he had a reaction before the rest of his brain woke up. Only incident I've ever had in my house was when someone startled the dog awake (by grabbing / smacking both sides of the head) and got a quick nip as a result. I was ready to put the dog down but got voted down (namely by my wife). Dog only weighs 50lbs and is missing a good chunk of its teeth anyway. While I'm sure it has pit in it, its more mutt than anything.

I would want to know if dog was zonked out and got startled, or if it was awake and asserting dominance. Would also depend on the weight of the dog / risk. At a minimum the dog is losing sleeping privileges in bed. Plenty of nice dog beds out there.

But at the end of the day, your first priority is to your wife's safety. I can't imagine having a woman be uncomfortable in her own bedroom will work out well for you...on many levels
El Chupacabra
TarponChaser said:

We had Irish Setters when I was really little and when I was about 3 I rode my tricycle across the tail of Seamus who was sleeping in the sun at my grandparents old farm. He snapped at me and bit me on the head. I still have a very thin, faint scar on one temple from that. You know what my parents and grandparents did after they stopped me crying & bleeding? Told me not to run over the dog when it was sleeping.

My sister has a scar on her lip where she got bit by the English Setter our neighbors had. Jack was sleeping and she was messing with him and he snapped at her biting through her upper lip. Again, want to know what our parents did after getting her settled down and cleaned up and then taking her to get stitches? Told her to not mess with a sleeping dog.
A few years ago I was at my dad's house in Abilene. After a long day of golfing and drinking in the TX heat, I took about a half hour nap on the recliner. It would have been longer but his dog Doc (Jack Russell) came and jumped up on my lap and woke me up. I bit part of his ear off then punted him across the room. Not much blood but he yelped and squealed for a good bit. My dad was all pissed off at me but I told him he needed to train his dog not to mess with sleeping humans.
shalackin
AG
is your wife hot or wealthy? If not........................................... opportunity awaits!
RDV-1992
shalackin said:

is your wife hot or wealthy? If not........................................... opportunity awaits!

Actually she's both.
Get Off My Lawn
Context absolutely matters, and the wife's version of events is probably sufficient. If she thinks it an unprovoked or disproportionate growl (and you want to keep the wife) - then the dog goes. If she thinks the dog was reacting to being hurt / surprised / annoyed, then it's probably reasonable to wait for the next data point.

Caveat: if you have young kids in the house - skip GO and get rid of the dog.
RDV-1992
We don't have kids - we are dinks in our early 50s. Jennifer says she was scared.

I haven't decided yet. Too busy to focus on the dog right now. As long as I'm here she's controlled.

If I put her down it will be soon. If I don't I will focus on making sure the dog knows my wife is the alpha female.

BTW, I did a DNA analysis on the dog a few years ago. She is:

38.5% Pit Bull
12.5% Great Pyrenees
12.5% Lab
38.5% Unknown (some of this is Shar-Pei)
Complaint Investigator
AG
Trainer of police dogs here, with some aggressive pet dogs thrown in.

Dog is probably left to do what it wants in the house and decided your wife can kick rocks and let her know as much. Time for a bit of training to put it back on the low end of the pecking order. Dog works for food, sleeps in the crate, not on furniture or the bed. It's going to cost money if you want it done right, and time if you want to do it yourself.

End of story. Ignoring the issue isn't going to solve anything. Not doing anything is also not going to solve anything. Beating the dog isn't going to solve anything. Training the dog? Most likely thing that is going to work. Your other choice is to put the dog down, but don't get another one if you're going to let it have free rein over your household. Even a golden will take advantage of opportunities to put itself in a higher position if given the opportunity.

If you're anywhere near Austin - we can help. contact e-mail is on my website. https://rgrmalinois.com
RDV-1992
I've got more money than time. I'm in the Austin area. I'll contact y'all to discuss.

Thank you!

Edit - left you a voicemail.
Rattler12
powerbelly said:

03_Aggie said:

powerbelly said:

AggieOO said:

We can agree to disagree.

IMO, it's the individual dog, not necessarily the breed. I've seen aggressive dogs across all breeds, and also known lots of pits that were docile. But I know I won't change your mind, so go ahead and roll your eyes.

The breed matters. Different breeds have different abilities to cause harm. I have a Rottweiler and the first time he is aggressive towards my family will be the last. Pittbulls are no different.

What about labs? He said it is part pit and part lab? Maybe it's like 5% pit and 95% lab.

It's a dog from the pound. I doubt he has any idea what is, but it's enough pit to lead with that
Two strikes against it to start ...1 it's a Pit and 2 it was probably in the pound for a reason.....the growl at the wife =3rd strike
78_Pacecar
AG
I don't have a dog in this fight....., but if my wife tells me the dog scared her the dog is gone. Don't care about the breed, or how long I've had him/her etc.
Rattler12
rudy99 said:

CS78 said:

AggieOO said:

KT_Ag08 said:

If this was a kid and not your wife it wouldn't even be the same discussion. It's no different.

My dog growled at my 2.5 year old about an hour ago. My daughter was hitting him with a Tupperware lid. Guess who got in trouble...it wasn't the dog.

Context is everything. The dog was voicing his displeasure with being hit with a plastic lid. He wasn't being aggressive.

......... a bunch of people telling me I need to put down my 9 year old weim, who has never bitten either of my kids.

You'll wish you did if it rips your baby's face off. Of course I'm wrong but its sad that you're willing to bet on it.
Wow. 99.99% of the time a growl is fair warning that you are hurting the animal.

You're trying to tell me you've never had a pet growl at you? Do you just carry a pistol and shot'em when they growl at you?
I can say I've never had a pet dog growl at me nor MZ R and we've had numerous over the last 26 plus years. We raised all of them from pups and they learned early on who the alpha dog was and what their position was in the pecking order. I beg to differ with your 99.9 % assessment. 99.9% of the time a yelp is the way a dog reacts to being hurt. A growl is a challenge to your authority and should be dealt with early.
Rattler12
RDV-1992 said:

It's your and your wife's bed not the dogs. The dog thinks it's his. Who's at fault here, you and your wife or the dog. BTW how long did you have the dog before you and your wife got married ? If she came into the household after you already had the dog there, therein possibly lies your problem.
OasisMan
AG
its predominantly pit
it growled at your wife, while you were gone, and she was trying to get in her bed
your wife felt scared

im not really sure how this is a discussion,
unless you are trying to ditch the wife?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.