Outdoors
Sponsored by

My dog growled at my wife

25,756 Views | 194 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bpriefert
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Growl, grumble, snarl. Same general sound, but different in detail and very different meaning in context.

Grumble: annoyed, sometimes even happy
Growl: concerned, very annoyed, playing, asking not to be touched
Snarl: warning of intent to attack or defend if provoked
RDV-1992
SoupNazi2001 said:

Who names their dog or wife Hilda?
That was the name Austin Pets Alive gave her. I didn't change it.
cupofjoe04
AG
Rattler12 said:

Long way to go before it reaches "Slaughtered Tree" status

Well, there are plenty of tangents we've been ignoring that can us there

I'll go first: all this "piss on their head", "choke slam the dog", and the ridiculous displays of dominance suggested in this thread- they are completely unnecessary to establish a healthy social order and proper training.

Being a bully to your dog isn't teaching them healthy submission- it's teaching them that they can bully anyone they see as lesser than themselves.

&ct=g

AceAggie05
AG
Here's my 2 cents. The OP didn't give us much context.

My sons dog (Pyredoodle) has growled at my wife before. It was the middle of the night, she was sick, so she went to bed on the couch where she could keep her head well elevated. He came into the living room in the middle of the night, didn't know anyone was in there, saw something, and growled. The second she moved he freaked out like a baby and jumped on top of me. That's not a dog being aggressive.

Another time I was asleep. I hear a mean growl from another of our dogs, and turned on the light. The dog was facing the door. Would I have known that in the pitch black of night? No.

I don't like pits, but we need more context
RDV-1992
AceAggie05 said:

Here's my 2 cents. The OP didn't give us much context.

My sons dog (Pyredoodle) has growled at my wife before. It was the middle of the night, she was sick, so she went to bed on the couch where she could keep her head well elevated. He came into the living room in the middle of the night, didn't know anyone was in there, saw something, and growled. The second she moved he freaked out like a baby and jumped on top of me. That's not a dog being aggressive.

Another time I was asleep. I hear a mean growl from another of our dogs, and turned on the light. The dog was facing the door. Would I have known that in the pitch black of night? No.

I don't like pits, but we need more context
I'm sorry about not providing context - I've been incredibly busy. Friday was the end of the fiscal year for my company. I've been swamped with billing and presentations and just keeping projects moving forward.

Also we are moving - will close on our new house in Driftwood in mid July, and our current house in Barton Creek (Austin suburb) goes on the market next week.

Also I have travel planned for next week and was out of town all last week as well (which is when my dog growled at my wife).

We've had people in and out of our house the last few weeks helping us prep for the move and sale. I've been gone a lot, so my wife Jennifer has been managing that stuff. She's an introvert (maybe a better description would be an extreme introvert) who has taken to working from home like a fish to water. But she also isn't well equipped to force Hilda (the dog) to mind her. Hilda barks and whines and makes a big to do anytime someone new is in the house. I can control that, Jen can't. Just stresses her out. I think the imminent change is stressing both of them out, which might have led to the growling.

Hilda is also not really aggressive. She will bow up and act aggressive (which I think is something she learned at the big/problem dog pound), but when push comes to shove she will run. I've seen her piss herself she was so frightened. Hilda and our cats share a water bowl. The cats sniff her food. She is fine with all that. So she's not some prototypical pit bull from an aggression stand point. She's just strong and stubborn. That's why I'm going with training. I've been very careful with her. If I thought she was a bomb waiting to go off I wouldn't have solicited opinions.

Finally, when the trainer was over he indicated that his aggressive dog training was typically six weeks, but that he thought that he would only need four with Hilda. Its not a sure thing that they will take Hilda, but hopefully if they can she will come back a less stubborn dog that Jennifer can manage if I'm gone. I've also starting a new relationship with a kennel in Driftwood so I can place Hilda there when I'm on the road. My last trip snuck up on me - I wasn't ready for the world to be open and I couldn't use my typical kennel (Bark and Zoom at the airport) and couldn't find anything else. But hopefully that won't happen again and I can kennel Hilda when I'm gone.

That's all the backstory and context I can think of (outside of Rule #1, which won't be followed on this thread).
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's a lot of info. Some of which is relevant. Glaringly missing though, is what actually happened the day of said incident that set this whole thread off.
RDV-1992
I thought I had provided all of the information I have. The dog was on the bed. My wife was getting into the bed to go to sleep. That's when the growl happened. That's all I know.
ReloadAg
AG
When I was a kid our ****zu growled and snarled at my mom one time and my dad took him out in the back yard and dispatched him immediately.
Wildman15
AG
RDV-1992 said:

I thought I had provided all of the information I have. The dog was on the bed. My wife was getting into the bed to go to sleep. That's when the growl happened. That's all I know.
was the dog asleep and your wife startled it? That would be a pretty valid reason for the growl
03_Aggie
ReloadAg said:

When I was a kid our ****zu growled and snarled at my mom one time and my dad took him out in the back yard and dispatched him immediately.

A ****zu? Your dad had been waiting for his opportunity and jumped at the first chance.
RDV-1992
I don't know.
cbr
AG
El Chupacabra said:

TarponChaser said:

We had Irish Setters when I was really little and when I was about 3 I rode my tricycle across the tail of Seamus who was sleeping in the sun at my grandparents old farm. He snapped at me and bit me on the head. I still have a very thin, faint scar on one temple from that. You know what my parents and grandparents did after they stopped me crying & bleeding? Told me not to run over the dog when it was sleeping.

My sister has a scar on her lip where she got bit by the English Setter our neighbors had. Jack was sleeping and she was messing with him and he snapped at her biting through her upper lip. Again, want to know what our parents did after getting her settled down and cleaned up and then taking her to get stitches? Told her to not mess with a sleeping dog.
A few years ago I was at my dad's house in Abilene. After a long day of golfing and drinking in the TX heat, I took about a half hour nap on the recliner. It would have been longer but his dog Doc (Jack Russell) came and jumped up on my lap and woke me up. I bit part of his ear off then punted him across the room. Not much blood but he yelped and squealed for a good bit. My dad was all pissed off at me but I told him he needed to train his dog not to mess with sleeping humans.
Lol did you seriosuly bite a chunk out of a dogs ear? Thats baller man.
wtmartinaggie
AG
i had a 12 year old dog i put down for taking a snap at my kiddo. he was my best friend for a long time, but he was getting old and his mental faculties were failing him. i took him to the vet and they explained that dogs have mental degradation issues like dimensia/alzheimers happen and folks rarely notice it.

pits are natually aggressive dogs that have the tendency to snap, but my suggestion is to consult your vet, explain the situation, and gather some information. unfortunately it's probably going to be best to move on from the dog one way or another. i'd suggest talking it through with the vet. he could have something wrong with him that's got him in pain or some other issue.
Wildman15
AG
RDV-1992 said:

I don't know.
Holy crap. How do you not know?!?!?! You've considered killing your dog and spending money on additional training when there's a pretty good chance that your dog did nothing wrong and it might be your wife's fault. &ct=g
Chipotlemonger
AG
Exactly my reaction as well
Wildman15
AG
I even triple checked his novel he posted earlier, not a single question answered
&ct=g
BusterAg
AG
So, my dog is asleep right now, and growling during his dream.

He even let out a couple of small yips.

My wife is in the easy chair in the same room.

He does this all the time. He dreams a lot.

This thread has convinced me that this cannot be tolerated. I'm thinking of waking the dog up with an elbow drop from the top of the couch.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms … disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

--Thomas Jefferson
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'd highly recommend a handgun, just make sure you use a .40 or bigger don't want to risk injuring the dog with a small caliber like 9mm
mAgnoliAg
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

Dog just growled at me playing tug of war, better load up the shotgun.

Jesus
S.A. Aggie
AG
Half pit, full pit, or even just a touch of pit. They need to be disposed of.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/oklahoma-mom-mauled-to-death-in-dog-attack-while-housesitting-for-friend/ar-AALmc6h?ocid=uxbndlbing

Shoot the dog already.
Complaint Investigator
AG
Responsible dog owner is sending his dog to a no BS trainer (mine) that is going to ensure this doesn't happen again. Dog is far from needing to be euthanized. I have seen plenty that are past the point (genetically messed up or via too many bad experiences) of being rehabbed and need to be PTS. We've had to take dogs out of kennels in bite suits and using catch poles before. This isn't the case here.
Badace52
AG
As an emergency physician, I have looked into the data on dog bites on many occasions. Keeping in mind that almost all studies have inherent bias based on who performed the study and what their initial hypothesis was, I have been able to determine the following based on the numerous studies that are out there on the dangers of pit bulls/American bulldogs and their mixes vs other breeds:

1. It does not appear that pits/bulldogs and their mixes are responsible for any more bites than any other breed of dog. Dogs of all breeds are somewhat unpredictable and will bite for any number of reasons. As such, there are inherent risks in keeping them as pets.

2. Dogs are responsible for far more morbidity and mortality in humans than most other animals. A lot of this is the much higher level of exposure humans have to dogs due to their propensity for keeping them as household pets across the world, but the fact remains people should be more wary of a dog with which they are unfamiliar than they are with say a snake or shark. The animal which is by far and away the most dangerous to humans is OTHER HUMANS.

3. While pits/bulldogs and their mixes are not responsible for a higher rate of bites than any other breed, they are by far and away responsible for the most deaths related to any breed. These dogs don't play around when they attack. They are also responsible for more gruesome injuries and the injuries cost more in medical management and rehabilitation.

Having said these things, I still own a dog and love dogs. I can also say with absolute certainty I would never own a pit/American bulldog or mix with obvious phenotypic tendency towards those breeds.

I do feel the data shows it is inherently more risky (in regard to chance of serious injury or death) to own these breeds of dog. However owning any dog is risky and all dogs will bite. Even your family pet you have had for 15 years.

In fact, as many dogs get older they become much less tolerant of humans. I think you could say the same thing about humans as we get older and our tolerance of other humans.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Micropterus
AG
A young girl was trudging along a mountain path, trying to reach her grandmother's house. It was bitter cold, and the wind cut like a knife. When she was within sight of her destination, she heard a rustle at her feet.
Looking down, she saw a snake, which spoke to her. He said, "I am about to die. It is too cold for me up here, and I am freezing. There is no food in these mountains, and I am starving. Please put me under your coat and take me with you." "No," replied the girl. "I know your kind. You are a rattlesnake. If I pick you up, you will bite me, and your bite is poisonous." "No, no," said the snake. "If you help me, you will be my friend. I will treat you differently." The little girl sat down on a rock for a moment to rest and think things over. She looked at the markings on the snake and had to admit that it was the most beautiful snake she had ever seen. Suddenly, she said, "I believe you. I will save you. All living things deserve to be treated with kindness." The little girl reached over, put the snake gently under her coat and proceeded toward her grandmother's house. In a moment, she felt a sharp pain in her side. The snake had bitten her. "How could you do this to me?" she cried. "You promised that you would not bite me, and I trusted you!" "You knew what I was when you picked me up," hissed the snake as he slithered away.
McInnis
AG
Complaint Investigator said:

Responsible dog owner is sending his dog to a no BS trainer (mine) that is going to ensure this doesn't happen again. Dog is far from needing to be euthanized. I have seen plenty that are past the point (genetically messed up or via too many bad experiences) of being rehabbed and need to be PTS. We've had to take dogs out of kennels in bite suits and using catch poles before. This isn't the case here.
This is today's winner for "user name checks out".
tandy miller
AG
My last dog was attacked by a pit bull that broke off of it's leash. I'm a dog lover, but have no use for the breed.

https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/2804978/replies/47729291
FJB
RDV-1992
Thank you - I appreciate you taking Hilda on!

To all of the pit haters: I get it. But I'd like to challenge you to go to austin pets alive or any other big city, no kill pound and just look at the dogs there. I'd say the population there is at least 80% pit or pit mixes. The rest are rots, dobermans, and other aggressive or powerful breeds. These dogs need homes. I don't know that I'll get another pit mix after hilda. But I'll say that I love hilda and it was a blessing when I got her.

Ogre09
AG
Yup. My dogs not only don't have the temperament for it, but are physically incapable of seriously injuring or killing my children. Breed matters.
Sea Speed
AG
There are some weird people that post on this board.
Rattler12
RDV-1992 said:

To all of the pit haters: I get it. But I'd like to challenge you to go to austin pets alive or any other big city, no kill pound and just look at the dogs there. I'd say the population there is at least 80% pit or pit mixes. The rest are rots, dobermans, and other aggressive or powerful breeds. These dogs need homes. I don't know that I'll get another pit mix after hilda. But I'll say that I love hilda and it was a blessing when I got her.

Sorry but IMHO the 80% representing the breeds you named are there for a reason and I would suspect that reason to be they have been aggressive. Any one taking one of these breads home from a pound as a family pet is playing with fire. See the "little girl/rattlesnake" story above...did you have Hilda before you married your wife?
MarylandAG
I don't know how to post gif's but this thread is like that scene from the movie Gladiator with the thumb up or down. Hilda is Russel Crowe's character and Texags outdoor board is Joaquin Phoenix's character
03_Aggie
Rattler12 said:

RDV-1992 said:

Sorry but IMHO the 80% representing the breeds you named are there for a reason and I would suspect that reason to be they have been aggressive. Any one taking one of these breads home from a pound as a family pet is playing with fire. See the "little girl/rattlesnake" story above...did you have Hilda before you married your wife?

Good lord. Not sure how dogs aren't ruling the world by now.
The Shank Ag
Pretty simple.

If the wife wants the dog gone, bye bye.

You marry your spouse, you don't marry animals. One is for life, one is for at absolute maximum 20 years.

We have a blue merle sheltie (Mr. Merle Waggard). 25 pounds of love and energy. I love him to death and would protect him from any harm be it human or animal. But he does something that makes my wife uncomfortable enough to say he has to go, he's gone. He gets aggressive with her or my toddler, he's gone. You can love animals, but your family always comes first.

ABATTBQ11
AG
El Chupacabra said:

TarponChaser said:

We had Irish Setters when I was really little and when I was about 3 I rode my tricycle across the tail of Seamus who was sleeping in the sun at my grandparents old farm. He snapped at me and bit me on the head. I still have a very thin, faint scar on one temple from that. You know what my parents and grandparents did after they stopped me crying & bleeding? Told me not to run over the dog when it was sleeping.

My sister has a scar on her lip where she got bit by the English Setter our neighbors had. Jack was sleeping and she was messing with him and he snapped at her biting through her upper lip. Again, want to know what our parents did after getting her settled down and cleaned up and then taking her to get stitches? Told her to not mess with a sleeping dog.
A few years ago I was at my dad's house in Abilene. After a long day of golfing and drinking in the TX heat, I took about a half hour nap on the recliner. It would have been longer but his dog Doc (Jack Russell) came and jumped up on my lap and woke me up. I bit part of his ear off then punted him across the room. Not much blood but he yelped and squealed for a good bit. My dad was all pissed off at me but I told him he needed to train his dog not to mess with sleeping humans.

Username checks out
StoneCold99
AG
Jesus, what a weird thread filled with internet tough guys.
Rattler12
03_Aggie said:

Rattler12 said:

RDV-1992 said:

Good lord. Not sure how dogs aren't ruling the world by now.
Please explain how my OPINION translates to dogs ruling the world ?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.