Outdoors
Sponsored by

Lawn Mower thieves (with pictures)

29,901 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OnlyForNow
$240 Worth of Pudding
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stupe said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

Why do you feel the need to explain that? Yeah, we all get it. We're all grown men who've worked hard to acquire things honestly. We all despise the scum who take the easy way out. You're not telling us anything we don't know.

The fact remains, taking a life because of a lawnmower seems to run counter to the values that make one an honest, hardworking man. I want him caught and I want him punished. However he's stealing a lawnmower, not raping children.

This time.

According to another poster, this guy's rap sheet is a mile long. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't hesitate doing harm to another person if he were caught in the act.

Using that logic we need to kill every kid that steals a piece of candy from the store.

There are times deadly force is necessary and absolutely justifiable. Keeping a lawnmower doesn't check off that box for me....and I doubt a jury would slough it off either, and I damn sure wouldn't want to be the guinea pig that found out.
Long Live Sully
AG
Quote:

There are times deadly force is necessary and absolutely justifiable. Keeping a lawnmower doesn't check off that box for me....and I doubt a jury would slough it off either, and I damn sure wouldn't want to be the guinea pig that found out.
Texas law would disagree with you. I wouldn't want to kill someone over property, but I certainly am not going to criticize someone who does.
Stupe
S
Ditto.

I'm not sure how I would react because I hate thieves with every fiber of my being.

Hate.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Cow Hop Ag said:

Quote:

Texas law would disagree with you. I wouldn't want to kill someone over property, but I certainly am not going to criticize someone who does.

Need a lawyer to clarify but I'm pretty sure you're wrong here. If it was night time then yes, it's justified. During the day, it's not.
Long Live Sully
AG
Thanks for adding a qualifier in an attempt to make what I said wrong. Point remains.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Cow Hop Ag said:

Thanks for adding a qualifier in an attempt to make what I said wrong. Point remains.

Uh, a qualifier? It's the law. And the pictures posted clearly show that this happened in the middle of the day.
Are we discussing this case or not?
Long Live Sully
AG
You are making a blanket statement that theft of a lawnmower is not enough to justify using force. That is wrong. Even in daylight there are circumstances where force can be used.

You weren't posting only about this event.

Rex Racer
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

Cow Hop Ag said:

Uh, a qualifier? It's the law. And the pictures posted clearly show that this happened in the middle of the day.
8:37 PM is when it happened. But since it is daylight savings time, that may qualify as daytime. I think the camera makes it appear lighter than it actually is, however.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Cow Hop Ag said:

You are making a blanket statement that theft of a lawnmower is not enough to justify using force. That is wrong. Even in daylight there are circumstances where force can be used.

You weren't posting only about this event.

Lol. How in TF do you presume to tell me what I was and wasn't posting about? Are you a wizard? FFS.
We are discussing the issue at hand....this dirt bag stealing this particular lawnmower in those particular pictures. I responded to someone who said that they'd have shot 'em, or something to that effect.
The fact remains that while there are justifiable reasons for the use of deadly force during the day, I do not believe this is one of them (though I will gladly concede the point if shown otherwise by someone in the know). Why is this upsetting you. It's a legitimate discussion and frankly, one the board could probably use a refresher on (myself included).
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Rex Racer said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

Cow Hop Ag said:

8:37 PM is when it happened. But since it is daylight savings time, that may qualify as daytime. I think the camera makes it appear lighter than it actually is, however.

Good call, just noticed the time stamp. For some reason I thought I had read that it happened mid-morning....must be mixing up two different incidents.
Long Live Sully
AG
I am not upset. You said I was wrong when I said you can use force to protect your property. Then you added the daylight condition.

And as someone said it was past 8:30 at night.

EDIT... I am just picking at you. It is a good discussion.

And the answer is always that you were in fear for your or someone else's life.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Cow Hop Ag said:

I am not upset. You said I was wrong when I said you can use force to protect your property. Then you added the daylight condition.

Are you seriously that dense? THE LAW CHANGES DEPENDING ON WHETHER IT'S DAYTIME OR NIGHTTIME. I'm not making it up and didn't 'add' any condition. It's quite literally the law. So the fact remains that you (or I) may very well be wrong.
Long Live Sully
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

Cow Hop Ag said:

Are you seriously that dense? THE LAW CHANGES DEPENDING ON WHETHER IT'S DAYTIME OR NIGHTTIME. I'm not making it up and didn't 'add' any condition. It's quite literally the law. So the fact remains that you (or I) may very well be wrong.
Speaking of dense..

Here is your original post about this. You are saying a lawnmower does't justify force.

Quote:

Later you added the daytime / night time condition. Even though this happened after 8:30.

Kenneth_2003
AG
My understanding you're justified if you have no reasonable belief the peppery will be recovered.

Yeah, got lucky this time. Rarely is that the case. If he got killed over a lawnmower, i wouldn't lose a minute of sleep. If i were on a jury, I'd need something beyond "i shot him for stealing" to convict.

As four comparing to a kid stalling candy... nice stawman. Don't pull a muscle with that stretch.

F thieves... play stupid games, win stupid prizes
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Cow Hop Ag said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

Cow Hop Ag said:

Speaking of dense..

Here is your original post about this. You are saying a lawnmower does't justify force.

Quote:

Later you added the daytime / night time condition. Even though this happened after 8:30.

Yawn.
Actually that's not my original post. You need to go further back.
You're right in that I did write that I wouldn't shoot anyone over a lawnmower, and I still feel that way. In furthering my point I added that there's a judicial component to the equation that should be considered as well in this discussion. To which you matter of factly responded that "Texas law would disagree" with me. When I pointed out that the law differs from day to night, for whatever reason, you went off the deep end and refuse to understand that it's not that cut and dry and seem to be taking it personally. Furthermore, I don't care if it says 8:30, if it was as bright as those pictures seem to indicate, it's not going to be considered "nighttime", that goes against the very spirit of the law.
So load up more of your oh so clever gifs or pound sand, I don't give a **** anymore. You clearly have no desire to do anything other than be "right".
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

My understanding you're justified if you have no reasonable belief the peppery will be recovered.

Yeah, got lucky this time. Rarely is that the case. If he got killed over a lawnmower, i wouldn't lose a minute of sleep. If i were on a jury, I'd need something beyond "i shot him for stealing" to convict.

As four comparing to a kid stalling candy... nice stawman. Don't pull a muscle with that stretch.

F thieves... play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Oh good lord. I love that you call me out for "stretching" yet you're giving a pass to the "well it's okay to shoot him because if he's stealing now, he'll only graduate to something worse" crowd. Now THAT'S a stretch and my reply simply pointed out the absurdity in that logic.
tx4guns
AG
Joe Horn case proves you wrong. He shot and killed 2 thieves in the daytime. In the back. Robbing his neighbor's house. And he got no-billed.

Yelnick McWawa said:

Cow Hop Ag said:

Quote:

Need a lawyer to clarify but I'm pretty sure you're wrong here. If it was night time then yes, it's justified. During the day, it's not.
OnlyForNow
AG
It's simple. This dude is a thief. Cut off both of his hands and ensure he nor anyone he is related to ever gets govt. benefits.

Nothing, no Medicaid, welfare, WIC, social security, nothing! However, if the family brings his head to the county corners office, they can have those benefits back or be eligible for them later on.

It's time we stop being such a soft society.
Tecolote
AG
tx4guns said:

Joe Horn case proves you wrong. He shot and killed 2 thieves in the daytime. In the back. Robbing his neighbor's house. And he got no-billed.

Yelnick McWawa said:

Cow Hop Ag said:

Quote:

Would you please post your comments after the quoted piece. I know I'm simple minded and totally anal retentive but reading your comments first while later trying to see what your referencing is not intuitive.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
tx4guns said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

Cow Hop Ag said:

Quote:

I remember the Joe Horn case well. Not really the best example as it was (and still is) very controversial and it's kind of an apples to oranges situation in comparison to this anyway. Horn claimed that the two men approached him when he stepped outside and he fired in self defense and that's what saved his bacon.
ellebee
So was it on the news?
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Cow Hop Ag said:

Quote:

This lawnmower looks to have been stolen in the daytime..... Good luck in court killing someone over property in the daytime.

https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-9-42.html
Al Bula
AG
ellebee said:

So was it on the news?
FInally something useful on this thread rather than two sissies pillow fighting.

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Stolen-lawnmower-gets-returned-to-owner-after-social-media-posting-480894771.html
CactusThomas
AG
So this whole thread was just an add for kbtx?
Rex Racer
AG
Really wish the owner would press charges. He knows EXACTLY who took it.
proc
AG
It is important get them arrested, and also to get them jail time on a conviction. You need two prior thefts (class B or higher) with jail time attached, for the third theft to be enhanced to a felony.
AgFan131
Yes. Killing a kid over a candy is the same as killing a repeat thief who hasn't learned his lesson.
AgFan131
This thread sucks. Not ob material.
Long Live Sully
AG
If you read back someone said it was after 8:30. The camera made it look like daylight.
Thisguy1
Hang on. The KBTX article says the guy realized his lawnmower was stolen and since his neighbor had cameras, he went to HIS house to check them, which the cameras had it all on tape. Why do the cameras show the mower being stolen from the neighbor's house and not the guy who is missing a mower?

What am I missing?
rather be fishing
AG
Thisguy1 said:

Hang on. The KBTX article says the guy realized his lawnmower was stolen and since his neighbor had cameras, he went to HIS house to check them, which the cameras had it all on tape. Why do the cameras show the mower being stolen from the neighbor's house and not the guy who is missing a mower?

What am I missing?

Looks to me like it's a shared driveway, maybe a duplex. The camera is angled toward the paved access route to the door, which happens to be the shared driveway.
Stupe
S
AgFan131 said:

Yes. Killing a kid over a candy is the same as just I've against a repeat thief who hasn't learned his lesson.
Yep. That comparison was when my conversation with him was over.
putu
AG
Xmas lights still on the house in late April is definitely Outdoors...
"Cal (9-3) vs. Texas A&M (9-3). On the list of rare sights in Southern California, a team running the option -- as the Aggies like to do with QB Stephen McGee -- ranks right up there with real breasts and 12 inches of snow." Stewart Mandel CNNSI
Stucco
The owner doesn't have to press charges. The police know what happened and could pursue it if they chose.
Aggies Revenge
AG
Not the best approach though. Odds are this turf is on probation. Get this information to them and go that route. Victim doesn't want to press charges? Fine, violate his parole.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.