Outdoors
Sponsored by

Gator Pit update (*I'm not the OP)

23,993 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gwellis
PFG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
**Note to Mods - if you want me to send you my e-mails from Mr. Robin, owner of Gator Pits, I'd be happy to forward to you and corroborate what I'm posting.**

Back when the thread was still alive (RIP), I e-mailed the owner to let him know what was happening on the OB. Sent him the link and told him that it would be great to hear his side since the OB loves em some BBQ, smoker pits, Texas BBQ, etc.

I did get a response today:

"Aware of it. It has been locked or shut down. My attorney advised not to enter into that. Thank you."

I replied asking if he wanted to tell me his side of the story. Response:

"All good. Thanks"

Sounds like we won't be hearing from Mr. Robin with his version of events, which is an interesting choice. We live in a world where a business that provides a product or a service has to monitor reviews on Yelp, Amazon, Facebook, Google, internet forums, etc. I'm not a business owner, but I'm sure thats an absolute PITA to juggle along with running the day-to-day.

Not responding on a public forum is probably the safe thing to do if he's got legal concerns (whatever that may be), but it sure doesn't leave Gator Pits in a good light with anyone on the OB.

schmellba99: Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug
EskimoJoe
I have an extra pitchfork if someone needs one.
aggieland09
AG
Whats the back story. Missed the original.
AggieChemist
AG
Weak AF
DannyDuberstein
AG
Short term decisions inspored by greed tend to cost a business a lot more in the long term
aggielostinETX
thann07
AG
When I was in the planning stages of building my own put I emailed the guy. My intent was to fish for some helpful hints and advice, see if he had material to sell (at the time I was still finding the right steel suppliers, etc.) and, if a positive enough response came, I may have just gone ahead and asked him to build one for me.

His response was essentially "I don't give out plans, won't sell materials, goodbye."

Left a very bad taste in my mouth. WhateverI guess he has plenty of backlog as-is.
Brush Country
chris1515
AG
What's so special about this guys pits that he would have such a backlog?
aggielostinETX
AG
chris1515 said:

What's so special about this guys pits that he would have such a backlog?
He made a stupid ass TV show
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Just a suggestion for any similar future thread- don't send it to the person or business that is being discussed unless you want the thread locked or deleted, i.e. Doss. In this litigious age and based on the track record of TexAgs mods, once they receive a complaint, it's gone.
PFG
AG
I see it differently.

If a business owner - like the dude who owns the whole shebang- gets wind of a customer complaint and chooses to lawyer up instead of address it head on...terrible optics. And even worse customer service.
schmellba99: Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug
FishingAggie
Why would he have a lawyer?

I'm under the impression it's a done deal. Picking it up Monday.
Nothing on the original thread was slanderous or untrue. No one posted anything that was his response.

He's not been friendly in his emails but he's allowing the pick up.

Idk. That lawyer thing has me nervous. None of this had to be this way to begin with. Geesh. Freaking BBQ pit.
PFG
AG
Did you miss the part where the business missed a deadline by a LOT, then wanted to charge a daily fee for holding the pit once it was ready?

Laughable.
RK
AG
Every business owner has a lawyer. It doesn't mean he's using one specifically for this transaction. Just an easy out to not have to come out with an explanation (and likely a smart move as I'm sure his involvement in these discussions wouldn't win many people over).
Ptery83
Hope the mods leave this thread alone. Very interested in how this plays out.
Cancelled
AG
Just buy a lifetyme from HEB.
gig em 02
RK said:

Every business owner has a lawyer. It doesn't mean he's using one specifically for this transaction. Just an easy out to not have to come out with an explanation (and likely a smart move as I'm sure his involvement in these discussions wouldn't win many people over).

"Every business owner should have a lawyer"

I've seen a lot that don't that end up getting hosed one way or another.
fido00
AG
No way would I wade into strange and hostile waters of that thread if I was the business owner.
DannyDuberstein
AG
His best bet would be to do what it takes to make the transaction right and hope the buyer(s) publicize it. Doesnt seem concerned about that, which from what i'm guessing, this one pit is going to cost him several future pits. But i guess he's getting enough business to not GAF. The watch out is that doesnt last forever.
FishingAggie
DannyDuberstein said:

His best bet would be to do what it takes to make the transaction right and hope the buyer(s) publicize it. Doesnt seem concerned about that, which from what i'm guessing, this one pit is going to cost him several future pits. But i guess he's getting enough business to not GAF. The watch out is that doesnt last forever.

Agree 100%

Refund original purchaser. If There's a waiting list why wouldn't this sell fast and everyone wins?

Makes no sense. If demand is greater than supply charge more for a unit ready to go. No waiting.

I don't get it....

SabineAg
AG
Dude is clearly a d-bag. I hate these kind of people that go out of their way to be a bad business man. But my response is always: treat your customers poorly, then you get treated poorly. I've alreay done so but will continue to advise people to stear clearbof their product. Garbage people over there at gator pit.
nonameag99
PFG said:

**Note to Mods - if you want me to send you my e-mails from Mr. Robin, owner of Gator Pits, I'd be happy to forward to you and corroborate what I'm posting.**

Back when the thread was still alive (RIP), I e-mailed the owner to let him know what was happening on the OB. Sent him the link and told him that it would be great to hear his side since the OB loves em some BBQ, smoker pits, Texas BBQ, etc.

I did get a response today:

"Aware of it. It has been locked or shut down. My attorney advised not to enter into that. Thank you."

I replied asking if he wanted to tell me his side of the story. Response:

"All good. Thanks"

Sounds like we won't be hearing from Mr. Robin with his version of events, which is an interesting choice. We live in a world where a business that provides a product or a service has to monitor reviews on Yelp, Amazon, Facebook, Google, internet forums, etc. I'm not a business owner, but I'm sure thats an absolute PITA to juggle along with running the day-to-day.

Not responding on a public forum is probably the safe thing to do if he's got legal concerns (whatever that may be), but it sure doesn't leave Gator Pits in a good light with anyone on the OB.

Why don't you mind your own business?
Chipotlemonger
AG
In. I wouldn't worry too much about the attorney talk, FishinAg. Think that's all smoke.

I do like getting to hear that added wrinkle from the guy asking about materials on this thread from Gator Pit.
BrazosDog02
AG
Oh snap.

We gunna run this fuggin thread again!

Bdog is in, bruhs.
nonameag99
Chipotlemonger said:

In. I wouldn't worry too much about the attorney talk, FishinAg. Think that's all smoke.

I do like getting to hear that added wrinkle from the guy asking about materials on this thread from Gator Pit.
Who hires an attorney over a $5k bbq pit, LOL

BrazosDog02
AG
nonameag99 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Who hires an attorney over a $5k bbq pit, LOL

Business owners have attorneys because if you've been in business long enough and you do enough business...you WILL need one sooner or later.
PFG
AG
Quote:

Why don't you mind your own business?

This is more about taking care of a fellow Ag and wanting to see him done right by a Texas company that has probably done a lot of business with Aggies.
Post removed:
by user
FishingAggie
The wait period for these is months upon months....according to the website

He missed the deadline. No problem. Refund the money and sell the product to the folks waiting months for delivery....

Does that not solve the problem????

The problem is there's something else going on

This man has a 3-6 month waiting period yet can't sell a finished pit? What's the excuse for that????

Something's not right. Then he charges $25/day storage on a pre-paid pit (with a waiting list ) ?

You spin this however you like. It's wrong. It's bad business, but it's his business. He chose this path. Now he lives with it.

I find your post offensive. He missed a deadline. No big deal. Sell his quality ( waiting list) product to the next guy waiting........

Yeah. No one is in line. That's the problem. That's exactly why this has been a mess. He can't sell it.

You don't think the original purchaser ( who paid in full) would mind taking a $500 loss instead of a $2000 loss to unload this pit???

I'm buying it to help an Aggie. I'll pay him more than he asked as well. You can check that next week.

Im disgusted with the whole deal.

Edit ...how about gator pit refunds original purchaser all but $1000. Sell the pit to the waiting list of purchasers for $500 off regular price.

Gator makes extra $500 for doing nothing??? Lol

Makes too much sense right?

aggielostinETX
AG
Exactly. The story from GatorPits doesn't add up.
Post removed:
by user
agfan2013
AG
My guess is 3 pages max before locked or deleted. In.
the pit man
I gonna watch this until the end. I really want to see how it comes out.
Prune Tracy
I looked at Gator in the past. I wound up with a Klose. After seeing this whole debacle, I'm damn glad I went with Klose.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.