Outdoors
Sponsored by

Gator Pit update (*I'm not the OP)

23,854 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gwellis
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agfan2013 said:

My guess is 3 pages max before locked or deleted. In.
I will take the under.
PFG
AG
Eh, no reason for this one to get deleted. I've got my e-mails from the owner if Mods want to verify. Just wanted to pass along to the OB that the owner knew about the original thread, has no intentions of coming here to clean things up, and wasn't interested in sharing his side of the story with me.

schmellba99: Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug
CanyonAg77
AG
NM, found the original thread
fishag04
AG
In my experience attorneys are always analyzing the downside of a specific situation and often give you advice to protect you from that downside. They often don't give much thought to the commercial impact of that advice beyond the specific situation. Guy could have easily come clean in this situation. He could have admitted to making a poor decision and offer to fix it. He didn't so he gets to enjoy thel impact of that decision. Maybe it won't be material to his business....maybe it will.
G-Town Cracker
AG
Geez. Glad I went with Lang.
dubi
AG
nonameag99 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

In. I wouldn't worry too much about the attorney talk, FishinAg. Think that's all smoke.

I do like getting to hear that added wrinkle from the guy asking about materials on this thread from Gator Pit.

Who hires an attorney over a $5k bbq pit, LOL

I really wonder who buys a $5k bbq pit?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
chris1515 said:

What's so special about this guys pits that he would have such a backlog?

I had Gator build my smoker and I shopped hard. They're in the top 1% in terms of quality and design.

I had a positive experience and I was not able to hold Gator to a specific due date. A month or two would pass and he'd either email an update or I'd reach out and ask for one.

When I purchased, the timeline was based on generalities.
aggielostinETX
AG
I am getting a better bigger smoker cheaper faster on better payment terms from a nicer guy who has been 1000% easier to deal with than this guy. He even called me this morning about some specific details.

Not everyone in the world who is good at what they do is an *******.
BanderaAg956
Ducks4brkfast said:

chris1515 said:

What's so special about this guys pits that he would have such a backlog?

I had Gator build my smoker and I shopped hard. They're in the top 1% in terms of quality and design.

I had a positive experience and I was not able to hold Gator to a specific due date. A month or two would pass and he'd either email an update or I'd reach out and ask for one.

When I purchased, the timeline was based on generalities.

If the guy has a business and he can't confirm and confirm to a schedule he is a poor planner and poor businessman.

He is a guy that welds and employees welders. It isn't that hard. Unless he is very poor with people and he runs off or screws his welders and customers.

It is that simple!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Deats said:

I am getting a better bigger smoker cheaper faster on better payment terms from a nicer guy who has been 1000% easier to deal with than this guy. He even called me this morning about some specific details.

Not everyone in the world who is good at what they do is an *******.

Nice. Who's building it? We were talking about getting another one for the office I'll check them out.
BrazosDog02
AG
Is Gator Pits the one who I've seen drive around Katy and Houston in a 50,000 dollar truck with about 20,000 dollars in green wraps and suspension upgrades and accessories?
aggielostinETX
AG
yep
BigPuma
AG
dubi said:

nonameag99 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

In. I wouldn't worry too much about the attorney talk, FishinAg. Think that's all smoke.

I do like getting to hear that added wrinkle from the guy asking about materials on this thread from Gator Pit.
Competition teams and guys that like to do BBQ for charities and what not. Basically in my opinion when you need to make them mobile.

This one the trailer cost more than $5k.

But we also placed in brisket in Houston in February.

I also have a small Lyfetime offset in my back yard that does good work too.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
dubi said:

nonameag99 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

You should wander around Kyle Field in the fall on game days. They're everywhere.
wadd96
AG
Y'all should really look at Mobergs... Sonny builds a hell of a pit. I've cooked on 3 of them and they are spot on!
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
FishingAggie
So I watched his video about this pit to see what I'm getting ....

This man is a welder. He takes pride in his work. I don't know a lot about BBQ pits , but he went to extreme lengths to show he uses 1/4 inch steel.

The attention to detail is in every part of the pit.

I understandhow he works. He won't commit to deadlines. His warranties and policies are 100% in favor of gator pit. He states states that in the beginning. The guarantee is there is NO guarantee. Lol

Like I said. He's a welder. Since he was 14. He's got a big truck he speaks highly of as well

Very proud of his work. He builds a good product

His only problem is his service after the sale
I think he hired the woman to help , but she's his worst enemy.

I don't agree with the way the original purchaser or I have been treated, but I do believe he builds a high quality pit. Yes. He could/should have handled this differently, but I honestly don't think he knows how.

I do not mean that as an insult in any way. I believe he didn't think it through.

The only true mistake I see is charging $25 for the storage fees. That's bad no matter how you look at it. Not holding it for 10 days was bad as well. He wanted to make the fees ....or make enough to keep the pit. Idk.

Bottom line is the product is high quality. You are told upfront you don't know when you'll get it. Lol
And you're dealing with a great welder. Just not a great businessman.

I'm hoping to shake his hand and tell him thanks.

Please let's not bash this guy any more. Watch his video and you'll understand .......

I'll post one more time after I pick it up. The biggest thing going unnoticed is the ob helped two Aggies help each other out! That's the Aggie network right there.

My offer still stands. If you're in Port A and need a BBQ pit. PM me and it's yours.

Now if y'all can help me figure out how to haul that thing on a golf cart....
DeWrecking Crew
I didn't see the OP, was this customized in any way, or was it one of the models he sells off the website?
htxag09
AG
As posted, I have no doubt he makes a great pit, but top 1%? Maybe if your comparing them to Oklahoma joe, etc. But if you're talking too 1% of all custom pit builders, c'mon, that's probably a bit of an exaggeration. I looked at them and ended up going with klose. He was behind schedule, but he kept me updated. He also delivered it for free because it was a month or so late. And he was great to deal with. Liked him so much told my dad he needed to come meet him. Ended up in his shop bs'ing about his pits for 2 hours.
CanyonAg77
AG
DeWrecking Crew said:

I didn't see the OP, was this customized in any way, or was it one of the models he sells off the website?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. Why in Hades give someone 100% of the price, months before they finish? I'd say a 50% deposit, tops. If the pits are that good, the manufacturer should be able to sell it at a profit, even if the original purchaser backs out.

I'm like DeWrecking Crew, are these intensely personalized? If not, I don't see a need for more than about a 10% deposit to hold your place in line.
Al Bula
AG
I waited and waited for my Gator Pit. One year to be precise. After four months it looks like this:

FishingAggie
RPM said:

I waited and waited for my Gator Pit. One year to be precise. After four months it looks like this:

Is that really a gator pit? Those are bad welds. You're joking right? Please say yes.
DeWrecking Crew
Lol...that's just silly, the firebox is on the wrong side
labmansid
htxag09 said:

.......Ended up in his shop bs'ing about his pits for 2 hours.
And that's how you end up so far behind schedule!
htxag09
AG
Well my dad lives on the island in corpus and was about 5 seconds from pulling the trigger on a $20k 1/2" & 1" solid stainless steel smoker. So it was almost well worth his time. But alas, my dad had a moment of weakness and realized he'd probably need a new house for said pit once my mom saw the price tag.

But his shop really is awesome, has an old steel baby carriage turned into a pit, a phone booth, a torpedo, all sorts of cool stuff.
Hoss
AG
RPM said:

Looks just like the one I built in high school shop class about 25 years ago.

I don't know or care anything about Gator Pits, but I'm watching this just to see if FishingAggie drives away with the pit or not.
John1248
AG
FishingAggie said:

So I watched his video about this pit to see what I'm getting ....

This man is a welder. He takes pride in his work. I don't know a lot about BBQ pits , but he went to extreme lengths to show he uses 1/4 inch steel.

The attention to detail is in every part of the pit.

I understandhow he works. He won't commit to deadlines. His warranties and policies are 100% in favor of gator pit. He states states that in the beginning. The guarantee is there is NO guarantee. Lol

Like I said. He's a welder. Since he was 14. He's got a big truck he speaks highly of as well

Very proud of his work. He builds a good product

His only problem is his service after the sale
I think he hired the woman to help , but she's his worst enemy.

I don't agree with the way the original purchaser or I have been treated, but I do believe he builds a high quality pit. Yes. He could/should have handled this differently, but I honestly don't think he knows how.

I do not mean that as an insult in any way. I believe he didn't think it through.

The only true mistake I see is charging $25 for the storage fees. That's bad no matter how you look at it. Not holding it for 10 days was bad as well. He wanted to make the fees ....or make enough to keep the pit. Idk.

Bottom line is the product is high quality. You are told upfront you don't know when you'll get it. Lol
And you're dealing with a great welder. Just not a great businessman.

I'm hoping to shake his hand and tell him thanks.

Please let's not bash this guy any more. Watch his video and you'll understand .......

I'll post one more time after I pick it up. The biggest thing going unnoticed is the ob helped two Aggies help each other out! That's the Aggie network right there.

My offer still stands. If you're in Port A and need a BBQ pit. PM me and it's yours.

Now if y'all can help me figure out how to haul that thing on a golf cart....

Not defending the guy, but the storage fees are to encourage you to pick your stuff up. Now he's getting paid up front, but it can still be a PITA to store stuff for people. We had a good customer ask to drop off some oilfield pipe off at our yard for a week until they shipped it off. 6 truckloads and a year later that crap is still clogging up our yard. He's about to start getting bills for storage.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Storage fee is all fine and dandy, but it goes out the window when the agreed upon deadline is missed so egregiously.
BenFiasco14
AG
In
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
HouseDivided06
AG
And when the original OP wanted to transfer ownership to someone else and the owner wouldn't allow it at first. And then when FishingAggie WANTED to pick it up, he said that time and day wouldn't work for him so he was going to charge for storage. Bottom line the owner had a number of chances to make this right or help his image or make some sort of good faith effort, and instead he kept doubling down on being a ******bag. And he's going to lose business because of it, as he should.
John1248
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Storage fee is all fine and dandy, but it goes out the window when the agreed upon deadline is missed so egregiously.

You sure there was a hard deadline agreed to by gator pits or a round about date? The customer may have had his own deadline for the job he had coming up. Maybe there was but I kinda doubt there was one in the contract or the customer would have got his money back. Again not defending the guy he certainly didn't handle it the way I would have. I mean I've shipped $5000 engine blocks to Latin America even though I know the customer blew the engine up due to their own negligence. You just hope to make it up in the future.
John1248
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

And when the original OP wanted to transfer ownership to someone else and the owner wouldn't allow it at first. And then when FishingAggie WANTED to pick it up, he said that time and day wouldn't work for him so he was going to charge for storage. Bottom line the owner had a number of chances to make this right or help his image or make some sort of good faith effort, and instead he kept doubling down on being a ******bag. And he's going to lose business because of it, as he should.

It's really a head scratcher. Sure makes you think there's more to the story or the guy is incredibly hardheaded.
Hoss
AG
John1248 said:

HouseDivided06 said:

It's really a head scratcher. Sure makes you think there's more to the story or the guy is incredibly hardheaded.

I would guess it's more arrogance than hardheadedness, but I know nothing about the guy so that's just my perception from reading the two threads.
DannyDuberstein
AG
A combo of arrogance, and as someone has mentioned before, we're not exactly talking about a sophisticated business person. Some businesses are run by uneducated jackwagons tnat happened to have/build a particular skill (ie welding). These tend to be the types that just don't get it and eventually screw up the golden goose.
AggieChemist
AG
At this point I'm over it. Wake me up when we attempt to take delivery.
jcatam99
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

A combo of arrogance, and as someone has mentioned before, we're not exactly talking about a sophisticated business person. Some businesses are run by uneducated jackwagons tnat happened to have/build a particular skill (ie welding). These tend to be the types that just don't get it and eventually screw up the golden goose.
WOW, are you kidding me. You are making a conclusion of a persons education based on the skill of welding? Stereotyping at its finest.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.