Outdoors
Sponsored by

Gator Pit update (*I'm not the OP)

23,693 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gwellis
jcatam99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Storage fee is all fine and dandy, but it goes out the window when the agreed upon deadline is missed so egregiously.
There was NO deadline.
DannyDuberstein
AG
jcatam99 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

A combo of arrogance, and as someone has mentioned before, we're not exactly talking about a sophisticated business person. Some businesses are run by uneducated jackwagons tnat happened to have/build a particular skill (ie welding). These tend to be the types that just don't get it and eventually screw up the golden goose.
WOW, are you kidding me. You are making a conclusion of a persons education based on the skill of welding? Stereotyping at its finest.

Wow. You missed the point completely. This is not about welders. I'm simply saying because someone has a great skill doesn't make them a great and reasonable business person. Could be any number of trades or skills. But yeah, many are not educated and run into problems with other parts of the business. This is a very common issue.
FishingAggie
jcatam99 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Storage fee is all fine and dandy, but it goes out the window when the agreed upon deadline is missed so egregiously.
There was NO deadline.

Paid in full 7/12/2017. Completed 3/16/2018.

Event pit was needed passed and pit was not ready
Those are facts.

Gator pit doesn't guarantee anything. So I guess you could say there was no deadline.

8 months for a pit. Lol.
jcatam99
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

jcatam99 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

A combo of arrogance, and as someone has mentioned before, we're not exactly talking about a sophisticated business person. Some businesses are run by uneducated jackwagons tnat happened to have/build a particular skill (ie welding). These tend to be the types that just don't get it and eventually screw up the golden goose.
WOW, are you kidding me. You are making a conclusion of a persons education based on the skill of welding? Stereotyping at its finest.

Wow. You missed the point completely. This is not about welders. I'm simply saying because someone has a great skill doesn't make them a great and reasonable business person. Could be any number of trades or skills. But yeah, many are not educated and run into problems with other parts of the business. This is a very common issue.
. You he was an "uneducated Jackwagon". You are making an assumption he is uneducated.
jcatam99
AG
FishingAggie said:

jcatam99 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

There was NO deadline.

Those are facts.

Gator pit doesn't guarantee anything. So I guess you could say there was no deadline.

8 months for a pit. Lol.
Yep, I read that too. The customer states there was a deadline. However, I know for a fact that Gator Pit does not do "Deadlines". So if there was an agreement between Gator Pit and the original purchaser please share the contract.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I said "some are uneducated jackwagons".

Although I will admit that in Robins case, he is from Louisiana, so "uneducated jackwagon" pretty much comes with the territory regardless of how much schoolin' they got.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Someone's relative/buddy found the thread. First post in 5 years.
FishingAggie
jcatam99 said:

FishingAggie said:

jcatam99 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

There was NO deadline.

Those are facts.

8 months for a pit. Lol.
Yep, I read that too. The customer states there was a deadline. However, I know for a fact that Gator Pit does not do "Deadlines". So if there was an agreement between Gator Pit and the original purchaser please share the contract.

You're obviously affiliated with gator pit.

I'm sure the purchaser wouldn't have paid in full AND in advance for a pit he knew wouldn't be ready. I'm sure SOMEONE told the purchaser it'd be no problem getting it in time for his event. The purchaser is guilty of trusting gator pit and not getting it in writing.

Unfortunately , he didn't read the fine print that states " gator pit guarantees nothing except there's no refunds and no time limit on when your pit will be ready. ""

Purchaser missed his event. Sold the pit at a loss.
But yes. Gator pit honored their no guarantee contract to the letter and took the money up front. Then charged late fees if the pick up wasn't within 10 days ....classy

You're not helping their case here.....
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Those of you that think it's LOL and so rediculous s it takes months and months to build a pit, don't ever look into buying custom boots.

I can't imagine the negative Yelp reviews you'll leave when you're told the wait is 8-10++ months and they'll let you know when they're ready.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't think anyone has an issue with a long waitlist. I don't. But I do think you start to venture into questionable territory if you aren't able to provide an estimated timeframe and at least somewhat live up to it when you have taken payment in full upfront, even if it isn't contractual. It's just good, ethical business.

But being a ;pain in the balls on allowing a different person to pick it up, being uncooperative with it being picked up, and then having the gall to want to charge for storage after presenting both of the previous difficulties starts to venture beyond questionable territory and into jackass territory.
jcatam99
AG
FishingAggie said:

jcatam99 said:

FishingAggie said:

jcatam99 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

There was NO deadline.

Those are facts.

8 months for a pit. Lol.

I'm sure the purchaser wouldn't have paid in full AND in advance for a pit he knew wouldn't be ready. I'm sure SOMEONE told the purchaser it'd be no problem getting it in time for his event. The purchaser is guilty of trusting gator pit and not getting it in writing.

Unfortunately , he didn't read the fine print that states " gator pit guarantees nothing except there's no refunds and no time limit on when your pit will be ready. ""

But yes. Gator pit honored their no guarantee contract to the letter and took the money up front. Then charged late fees if the pick up wasn't within 10 days ....classy

It does not matter what my affiliation is with Gator Pit, I could be a past customer, friend, family member, Lawyer, or just Texags lurker. The bottom line is I am an Aggie and after reading these 2 threads I have way more questions than facts.
Don't get me wrong, I to felt bad that he was not able to use his new pit for the event and I think it is very noble of you to purchase this pit from the original purchaser. From what I can tell you are getting one hell of a pit for one heck of a discount. However, there are way too many questions for me to jump on this bandwagon and try and lynch a small business owner.

Before I leave this thread, here are some questions to ponder:
1. Did the original Purchaser tell Gator pit they no longer wanted the Pit?
2. Did he tell Gator Pit he wanted a refund?
3. Did the he tell Gator Pit he sold the pit to you?
4. How do you transfer the ownership of a trailer to another owner without owner's signature?
5. How do you transfer ownership of a trailer unless there is a bill of sale?

I am sure all be fine picking up that pit tomorrow.
FishingAggie
jcatam99 said:

FishingAggie said:

jcatam99 said:

FishingAggie said:

jcatam99 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

There was NO deadline.

Those are facts.

8 months for a pit. Lol.

It does not matter what my affiliation is with Gator Pit, I could be a past customer, friend, family member, Lawyer, or just Texags lurker. The bottom line is I am an Aggie and after reading these 2 threads I have way more questions than facts.
Don't get me wrong, I to felt bad that he was not able to use his new pit for the event and I think it is very noble of you to purchase this pit from the original purchaser. From what I can tell you are getting one hell of a pit for one heck of a discount. However, there are way too many questions for me to jump on this bandwagon and try and lynch a small business owner.

Before I leave this thread, here are some questions to ponder:
1. Did the original Purchaser tell Gator pit they no longer wanted the Pit?
2. Did he tell Gator Pit he wanted a refund?
3. Did the he tell Gator Pit he sold the pit to you?
4. How do you transfer the ownership of a trailer to another owner without owner's signature?
5. How do you transfer ownership of a trailer unless there is a bill of sale?

I am sure all be fine picking up that pit tomorrow.

No one is lynching anyone.

Gator pit is hanging themself without any help.

1. Yes
2. Idk but it was not offered i.e. Selling at a loss
3. Yes. I called to work out pick up and that's what started this entire mess. You didn't read the original thread. His female phone person was beyond rude.

In fact (in original thread you couldn't have read or you'd know these things) I was interested in purchasing additional pits and tailgating units.

She was so rude I wouldn't buy the last glass of water on earth from her. She's the reason for this entire event.

4, he won't transfer title to me. We have to send the title back and forth. Classy move. He's paid in advance. Has letter from original purchase, yet won't title it to me.

5. Again. He won't work it out. He's making all documents to original purchaser. His secretary's exact words were " you're making this hard on me so I'm not going to make it easy on you". I asked to speak to someone else and she said " the owner agrees with me and my decisions".

Thanks for saying you read both threads when obviously you didn't. There's your rehash.

We asked if we could delay pick-up until 4/14 to coincide with the spring game. We can at $25/day storage fees. Lol.

Look if you read even this thread you'd see I said I think he makes a quality product. This was handled beyond poorly on his part.

Answer this....if there's such a demand. Why not sell the pit for $500 off original price to the multitude of people waiting and refund the original purchaser his money less $1000??

Op loses $1000 for not reading the iron clad gator pit contract that basically says "give us money and you'll get a pit someday" and gator pit makes extra $500??

Instead the op is losing $2000. Except im going to pay the man extra as it's not right to lose all that.

Defend that sir. Next time don't say you've read all the threads when you haven't. It's a waste of time.

DeWrecking Crew
The very second the original purchaser was willing to lose significant money on the transaction in favor of the owner, it should have been the easiest business transaction the owner ever made. How does one mess that up? Unless it was customized in a way that renders it harder to sell, I'm still lost at how this happened
Wildman15
AG
Page 3 and still going strong
Chipotlemonger
AG
Answers to those questions (regardless of the lean) do not excuse Gator Pit from terrible service and behavior.
Hoss
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

But I do think you start to venture into questionable territory if you aren't able to provide an estimated timeframe and at least somewhat live up to it when you have taken payment in full upfront,

Quite honestly, I'd never buy a product from someone that can't commit to some sort of time frame. To me that's a major red flag and warning that I should expect absolute no customer service or support from this business. Especially if payment in full is required up front. You expect people to pay in full and then just say "you'll get it when you get it"? I don't care if you make the best pit in the world, no way I'm giving you my money. To provide NO guarantee of any kind to your paying customers reeks of arrogance and shady business practices. No way this dude will stay in business.
TexasAggie_02
AG
jcatam99 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Yeah, I'd rather draw a conclusion of his education based off of his coonazz social media postings, and his sheety public relations skills
DannyDuberstein
AG
I wouldn't either. Especially not with a major purchase and full upfront payment like this. I think it's actually quite dumb to enter into such a one-sided arrangement. I'm just willing to initially call it "questionable" because there are buyers willing to enter a deal where they have little to no recourse. But with terms so one-sided, I think it behooves the seller to at least communicate well, provide some expectations, and live up to them even if their terribly skewed arrangement doesn't formally require it. You have your customer over a barrel. No need to take every advantage of it.
ursusguy
AG
Nothing to add, just getting in on this train wreck.
BosAG06
AG
I learned early on most people that require 100% up front are floating jobs with others money. We had this happen when we had a $1500 door installed in our home. The "3-4 week" timeframe on the door turned into 6 weeks. The guy started getting wishy washy on us not returning calls. When I finally got a hold of him he told me the door company damaged it during manufacturing and it would be a few more weeks. I called the door company directly and they told me the guy had just put the order in and no there was never a damaged door. When all the dust settled he spent my upfront money likely on another project he was behind in and had to wait for the next persons up front money to fulfill my order once I started putting the fire on him to get my job done.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree. There has never been a business so strong that the initial profit it makes can't be pissed away. These smokers may be awesome. He may make great margins on them. But it doesn't mean he still hasn't pissed that cash away and is using new orders to fund old.
Burdizzo
AG
If you are a customer having problems with a vendor with no foreseeable end to the strife, send a Demand Letter. Make sure you detail all the efforts you have made to be made whole, give the vendor reasonable opportunity to complete the work with a deadline, and detail the consequences if you are not made whole (threaten to take the to small claims). It usually gets their attention. My neighbor and I had problems with a fence contractor whom we both made down payments to and he soon got wishy washy on us. I sent a Demand letter and got refunded in full because he didn't want the hassle with the cops or small claims. Neighbor went easy on them, and never has gotten all her money back.
ellebee
BosAG06 said:

I learned early on most people that require 100% up front are floating jobs with others money. We had this happen when we had a $1500 door installed in our home. The "3-4 week" timeframe on the door turned into 6 weeks. The guy started getting wishy washy on us not returning calls. When I finally got a hold of him he told me the door company damaged it during manufacturing and it would be a few more weeks. I called the door company directly and they told me the guy had just put the order in and no there was never a damaged door. When all the dust settled he spent my upfront money likely on another project he was behind in and had to wait for the next persons up front money to fulfill my order once I started putting the fire on him to get my job done.

The Bernie Madoff of door manufacturers. In financial services, we call this a Ponzi scheme.
wadd96
AG
Had this happen to us on a payout for one of our bull events last year... the scumbag even admitted he had to borrow $250K from a Canadian backer to pay winnings from the 2017 events... and that was after all the owners paid our entry and qualification fees up front in accordance with the expectations of our industry.... We called him out on it and he finally told our contractor, and NOT US, that he would pay, but not because one of the contractors (he called us a customer, not a partner) called him a crook.

Haven't said two words to the a-hole since then.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
ellebee
They just don't know when to cut their losses and think they can make it up.
wadd96
AG
We were about ready to call in the cops... and our partners advised against it as we were afraid he'd declare bankruptcy... he even said he wasn't "broke but was cash poor."

I threatened to show up at his door with John Moses Browning but my Dad backed me down...

The only reason he paid was that our partner is the biggest name in the business right now... and holds a lot of power in our industry... and the d-bag wanted a "photo op" when dropping off the check...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
reddog90
AG
You guys saying GP should have just refunded OP and sold the pit to someone else waiting might be missing the point that these are custom pits. Someone paying $5-10k for their custom pit might not want to pay $5-10k for someone else's idea of a custom pit.
Wildman15
AG
reddog90 said:

You guys saying GP should have just refunded OP and sold the pit to someone else waiting might be missing the point that these are custom pits. Someone paying $5-10k for their custom pit might not want to pay $5-10k for someone else's idea of a custom pit.
If the pits are as awesome as they claim to be, GP should have no problem at all selling an unclaimed or unwanted pit.
reddog90
AG
FishingAggie said:

RPM said:

I waited and waited for my Gator Pit. One year to be precise. After four months it looks like this:

Is that really a gator pit? Those are bad welds. You're joking right? Please say yes.
No, that is not a GP.
ellebee
But did he get the photo?
aTm2004
AG
So, was this thing ever picked up?
tamusc
AG
aTm2004 said:

So, was this thing ever picked up?
I think it's being picked up today, right?
CT'97
AG
BigPuma said:

dubi said:

nonameag99 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

In. I wouldn't worry too much about the attorney talk, FishinAg. Think that's all smoke.

I do like getting to hear that added wrinkle from the guy asking about materials on this thread from Gator Pit.
Who hires an attorney over a $5k bbq pit, LOL
I really wonder who buys a $5k bbq pit?
Competition teams and guys that like to do BBQ for charities and what not. Basically in my opinion when you need to make them mobile.

I also have a small Lyfetime offset in my back yard that does good work too.
But do you know anybody who consistently wins on the competition circuit with a gator pit?

My father in law was on a team that was real heavy into it for almost 20 years until just recently. I was in regular attendance and recently everyone that's taking home checks seems to be cooking on the double wall box smokers like backwoods and such. Not many of the offset traditional cookers left.
ellebee
So we facebook live'ing this thing or what?
BigPuma
AG
From what I gather from this thread is that its one of GPs standard models.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.