Outdoors
Sponsored by

School shooting in Florida

50,618 Views | 551 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BenderRodriguez
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One-Eyed Fat Man said:

Have you lost a child? I have.

Thankfully, no. I am sorry to hear about your child.

You are trying to put an emotional spin on this, and I have to keep emotion out of it. The bottom line, and the actual facts bear this out, school shootings are a very low probability and if children lives are the true reason for the angst, we need to look at the things that are statistically higher probability of taking a life.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
I believe I do. Arms, per the dictionary, aren't limited to guns. Should inviduals be allowed to own biological weapons, chemical weapons, nuclear weapons. I believe owning arms such as those are illegal. As I've stated earlier in this thread, there isn't a single solution, but I don't accept that this is just the way things are in America, live with it.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Thanks for your condolences. I assure you it's not an emotional matter for me. I just think we can be better as a nation. By the way, I just saw a FB post saying Zambia where we live was rated as the safest country in the world by some travel magazine.

Good conversation.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I highly recommend you walking away from this argument on THIS board.

Your emotion is absolutely inteferring with your thought process and now you're spewing out the typical anti-2A talking points.

I'm all for you expressing whatever you feel but you receive a lot of help and support from people on here, having an argument based purely on emotion is not worth jeopardizing that. This is not a threat, by the way. This just has the feeling of going bad really quickly.
KW02
AG
Per fbi crime stats for 2016, more people were murdered by cutting instruments than rifles. Should those be banned?
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
I assure you it's not an emotional matter for me. And I knew going in the response I'd most likely receive. Still, I'm not in the habit of keeping my beliefs to myself. As I said, I believe dialogue is good. Am I going to change anyone's mind-probably not. And as I said, I've owned guns and hunted all of my life, so I'm not against gun ownership. I don't believe I've said anything derogatory in response to others, but if I did, I apoligize.

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
One-Eyed Fat Man said:

I believe I do. Arms, per the dictionary, aren't limited to guns. Should inviduals be allowed to own biological weapons, chemical weapons, nuclear weapons. I believe owning arms such as those are illegal. As I've stated earlier in this thread, there isn't a single solution, but I don't accept that this is just the way things are in America, live with it.

I'll respond to this one. No, I don't think civilians should use those either, but as a word, we generally are opposed to pretty much the use of all you have listed. Using a nuclear, bio, or chemical weapon would be a very last resort sort of deal. So, since we actively restrict other nations from using them and we have said that we would not use them, there's no reason for civilians to use them. Other heavier conventional arms, if you have the money and can realistically justify it, sure, go buy a tank. It shouldn't be as simple as just rolling over to tankmart but yes the option should be there. That was the spirit of the second amendment.

My issue with what you have said goes back to the point that I've been trying to hammer home... The problem we have isn't a gun problem. The problem we have is one of society and government. Both this and the Texas church shooting would have been avoided if the government followed through with it's own responsibilities. Both instances we're easily avoidable, and that's the sickening part of it. Additionally, and this is the hard pill to swallow, to be a free society, there will be deaths of Innocents. It's completely unavoidable. It sucks. I don't like it. In fact I hate that. But, it is the reality of life in a free state. As long as there are people with free will, there will be varying amounts of evil out there. Which means someone will always find a way to commit evil. Look at Europe, they are using trucks now. It cannot be avoided. So, why go through and limit a good citizen's ability to defend himself?

That is the conclusion I came to when I opened the store. By having the store, at some point I would be in some way part of the process that led to the death of a person. Probably more than one for a long as I hope to have the store. But, if I run the store right, the odds of that death being in defense of a good person is much higher than the death of someone by an evil doer. So, I am careful with who I sell to. If my Spidey sense goes off, the computer magically goes down and we can't complete the sale.

The thing is, until we, as a society, work to fix the issues within certain parts of our society, we are going to continue to have tragedy after tragedy. First thing that needs to happen is that the media needs to stop reporting with an agenda. These shootings get major play that they never should. Don't release info about the shooter. Don't say why he did it. Don't make the shooter famous. That removes part of the motivation right there. Then, it's up to each community to police it's attitude. Get people to believe in something. It could be Christianity, Judaism, whatever. That does include decomercializing a lot of the religions out there. Do that, get people to marry and have direction to their lives and raise their kids with that direction, and we'll cut down on the bad stuff far more than by banning one of the many told available.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Btw.. the things I said need to change are not things the government should have any involvement in. The media should have a standing agreement among itself to do that and the rest is basically the people working together.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
The thing is, until we, as a society, work to fix the issues within certain parts of our society, we are going to continue to have tragedy after tragedy. First thing that needs to happen is that the media needs to stop reporting with an agenda. These shootings get major play that they never should. Don't release info about the shooter. Don't say why he did it. Don't make the shooter famous. That removes part of the motivation right there. Then, it's up to each community to police it's attitude. Get people to believe in something. It could be Christianity, Judaism, whatever. That does include decomercializing a lot of the religions out there. Do that, get people to marry and have direction to their lives and raise their kids with that direction, and we'll cut down on the bad stuff far more than by banning one of the many told available.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying here. I don't think our elected officials should get a free pass and just say, "we'll keep everyone in our prayers." Well, duh. The first sentence that copied from your post is spot on. We as a society have to take responsibility for these problems and require that our elected officials do something as well. But if we take the position that kids being killed at school are just going to happen in a free society, nothing will change, and to that I say, bullshirt.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
One-Eyed Fat Man said:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying here. I don't think our elected officials should get a free pass and just say, "we'll keep everyone in our prayers." Well, duh. The first sentence that copied from your post is spot on. We as a society have to take responsibility for these problems and require that our elected officials do something as well. But if we take the position that kids being killed at school are just going to happen in a free society, nothing will change, and to that I say, bullshirt.

That goes back to how do you fix it? Are those lives that may or may not be saved by 100% removing ar15s from the population worth more than the lives that are saved by using the same gun in self defense? How do you remove every AR from the population? Is the government going to spend upwards of several thousand dollars on some of these guns to buy them back?
redass1876
AG
One-Eyed Fat Man said:

Have you lost a child? I have.

I'm sorry, but I read this comment as "my emotional argument trumps your logical argument"

I am sorry for your loss, but that is not a valid basis for argument
bam02
AG
One-Eyed Fat Man... please answer this: what will banning assault weapons do?

Like I said earlier, in a gun free zone (especially one full of mostly kids) anyone with a demented will to kill lots of people can do so with a .22 pistol and a few 10 round magazines.

Please convince me that giving up my right to own an AR will prevent mass school shootings.
California Ag 90
AG
schmellba99 said:

Going to disagree on #4. We didn't pump prescription drugs into kids for every single ailment, real or perceived 20+ years ago.

It is not the entire problem, but i believe it is a major contributing factor.
agreed 100%.

our society makes no investment in developing its struggling young people, coaching and shepherding them through the trials and tribulations of growing up through mentoring and, in the case of troubled boys, pro-active engagement and shepherding by other adult men, and if necessary getting legitimate mental health services.

instead we instantly medicate and get back to jamming facts in their heads in the pressure cooker of standardized testing and college prep for the 'elite ones' with little to no respected vocational developmental education for those who have no desire or aptitude for 'knowledge work'.

i can't imagine how damaged young developing minds are by these chemical cocktails - or what it does to them later in life when emotional development based on experiential learning has been denied, replaced by chemical numbing of emotion.

i loved the sheriff's video from Florida, talking about his youth - one I remember well. In deer season every pickup in the parking lot at school in my hometown in 'then rural' Texas had a gun rack with a rifle in it, and ammo in the vehicle. This wasn't the 50's, it was the 70s and early 80's. not that long ago. in elementary school we all carried our pocket knives, and would show off our knives at recess or lunch, even in class - to get scolded to put those away and pay attention.

to actually act out violently with a weapon was unthinkable. literally not something your mind would even contemplate. I had a number of 'after school' fist fights, some I lost (badly), with both of us carrying our pocket knives. the idea of taking out a weapon was just not something your mind even thought possible.

this loss of respect for life - via violent media, violent games, removal of religion and moral foundation of healthy society - for the past few decades, have brought us to this sick society we are now living in.

take away guns and you won't change the problem - it is a complicated illness of society that is broad and deep, and will defy a simple knee-jerk solution (like removing guns OR arming teachers).

but we don't do 'complicated' things socially in today's America. Its hard to be an optimist for the world our kids and grandkids are going to inherit.

We're from North California, and South Alabam
and little towns all around this land...
Build It
AG
I wonder if they called for gun control in the massacres of centuries past? People have been killing people for as long as people have been around. Especially crazy people. Arrows, bombs, guns, hatchets, gas, people will find a way.
Duckhook
AG
I can't believe I'm going to wade into this, but I am.

What is a legitimate reason for selling/owning a semi-auto like an AR-15? I don't have an issue with pistols/shotguns/deer rifles, but why is there a need in society for a gun like an AR? Do that many people really hunt with them? Do that many people really reach for them as a first choice in home defense or other self defense situations? Or is the argument that prohibiting AR's is just the first step in more restrictive gun control?

Genuinely interested in reasonable responses.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
The answer to all of those questions is yes, actually. And more importantly, removing guns doesn't fix the problem. It's like having cancer and only giving pain meds. May feel good for a bit but you're not fixing anything and it's only going to get worse.
BCStalk
I'll answer it before every person goes on the defensive. I hunt more with an AR than any other firearm. It gives me the opportunity to put 3-4 pigs down instead of 1-2 out of each group. I keep an AR loaded in my bedroom because when someone is breaking into my house I would like to be the one with the bigger gun (I also keep 2 handguns in arms reach). As for why I own one? Because this is America and I will not be broken down to only owning muzzle loaders. When things go south, and they will, I want to be prepared. This is my right and it will not be given up.
mpl35
AG
Duckhook said:

What is a legitimate reason for selling/owning a semi-auto like an AR-15? I don't have an issue with pistols/shotguns/deer rifles, but why is there a need in society for a gun like an AR? Do that many people really hunt with them?
Did you read this thread or any gun control thread. The 2nd amendment isn't about hunting. It isn't even about home defense.
YellowPot_97
AG
Duckhook said:

What is a legitimate reason for selling/owning a semi-auto like an AR-15? I don't have an issue with pistols/shotguns/deer rifles, but why is there a need in society for a gun like an AR? Do that many people really hunt with them? Do that many people really reach for them as a first choice in home defense or other self defense situations? Or is the argument that prohibiting AR's is just the first step in more restrictive gun control?

Why ban ARs when handguns are used in 20 times the number of homicides than rifles, all rifles not just ARs?
Banning ARs will do nothing to stop mass shootings and is just a first step on total control.
ttha_aggie_09
AG

Plenty of hogs killed with AR... even through the sunroof of your truck.
aggiepaintrain
AG
ARs should be as hard to get or harder than a pistol.,

This psycho-path should not have been able to get one at age 19 if ever.

I just bought ballistic plates for my kids backpacks, let freedom ring !

Duckhook
AG
mpl35 said:

Duckhook said:

What is a legitimate reason for selling/owning a semi-auto like an AR-15? I don't have an issue with pistols/shotguns/deer rifles, but why is there a need in society for a gun like an AR? Do that many people really hunt with them?
Did you read this thread or any gun control thread. The 2nd amendment isn't about hunting. It isn't even about home defense.

Yeah, I read plenty. I read where Scalia, writing for the majority in the Heller case, said "Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose." He goes on to list circumstances in which firearm ownership should be prohibited, as well as not prohibiting laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. The Second Amendment only became a big deal when the NRA decided to make it a big deal.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Duckhook said:

First of all, username checks out to the first statement in bold.

Yes - tons of people use an AR for home defense and it is their primary choice for many reasons (I'll let bender or eyeguy go into detail as to why)

Yes - it is absolutely the first step in more restrictive gun control... see AWB of 94 and how it had virtually no impact on gun violence and gun violence continues to decrease even after it expired in 2004.

As another posted stated, maybe on this thread, once you ban ARs (the gun responsible for about 300 gun related homicides a year out of the inflated 31,000) the next psycho that brings in a lever action or pistol or shotgun will push for the next wave of "gun control".

So you may hunt now and don't own an AR but realize if we let them pass this, they're going after your shotgun or deer rifle or handgun next until the ultimate goal, gun confiscation, is achieved.

So as I stated earlier, I find it very hard for any avid outdoorsman to be for any form of gun control, especially as the current laws on the books are effective, when they're enforced.
Duckhook
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Duckhook said:

First of all, username checks out to the first statement in bold.

Yes - tons of people use an AR for home defense and it is their primary choice for many reasons (I'll let bender or eyeguy go into detail as to why)

Yes - it is absolutely the first step in more restrictive gun control... see AWB of 94 and how it had virtually no impact on gun violence and gun violence continues to decrease even after it expired in 2004.

As another posted stated, maybe on this thread, once you ban ARs (the gun responsible for about 300 gun related homicides a year out of the inflated 31,000) the next psycho that brings in a lever action or pistol or shotgun will push for the next wave of "gun control".

So you may hunt now and don't own an AR but realize if we let them pass this, they're going after your shotgun or deer rifle or handgun next until the ultimate goal, gun confiscation, is achieved.

So as I stated earlier, I find it very hard for any avid outdoorsman to be for any form of gun control, especially as the current laws on the books are effective, when they're enforced.

Well there you go. "Duckhook" is golf related.

(I still am a gun owner though.)
Nealthedestroyer
AG
Duckhook said:

mpl35 said:

Duckhook said:

Yeah, I read plenty. I read where Scalia, writing for the majority in the Heller case, said "Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose." He goes on to list circumstances in which firearm ownership should be prohibited, as well as not prohibiting laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. The Second Amendment only became a big deal when the NRA decided to make it a big deal.

LOL. Are you genuinely interested in getting into this?... because I feel like no amount of keyboard hot air will convince you to change your mind.

Heller vs DC was a terrible case to bring up because the individual right to bear arms was already laid out and guaranteed in.... The ****ing US Bill of Rights.

Edited to add that gun control is racist and disempowers women.
Duckhook
AG
Nealthedestroyer said:

Duckhook said:

mpl35 said:

Duckhook said:

LOL. Are you genuinely interested in getting into this?... because I feel like no amount of keyboard hot air will convince you to change your mind.

Heller vs DC was a terrible case to bring up because the individual right to bear arms was already laid out and guaranteed in.... The ****ing US Bill of Rights.

Nah. Nobody is changing anybody's mind on this one way or the other. But my views have changed as I've gotten older.
mpl35
AG
Duckhook said:

mpl35 said:

Duckhook said:

If you read plenty, then you would have realized it isn't about hunting or self defense. Yet when you "waded in" you showed your ignorance by asking if there was a need for them. Don't google and read a few liberal talking points and pretend you actually "read" up on the subject....
ttha_aggie_09
AG
So how about this, you want to learn more about AR-15s and their use, you seem to be an avid golfer, based on your posting history... why not swap a day at the range for a day at the course with someone? Everyone could learn something.

Where are you located?
Duckhook
AG
South Texas I've shot plenty in my life, but a lott, lot less as I've gotten older. Never shot a semi auto. I've got plenty of buddies that go to ranges if I'm so inclined.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Duckhook said:

South Texas I've shot plenty in my life, but a lott, lot less as I've gotten older. Never shot a semi auto. I've got plenty of buddies that go to ranges if I'm so inclined.

Then my honest suggestion is to talk to them about it. Have them take you out to the range. It's really easy to condemn something when you don't have any experience with it.
Duckhook
AG
mpl35 said:

Duckhook said:

mpl35 said:

Duckhook said:

If you read plenty, then you would have realized it isn't about hunting or self defense. Yet when you "waded in" you showed your ignorance by asking if there was a need for them. Don't google and read a few liberal talking points and pretend you actually "read" up on the subject....

I do read a lot, on a wide variety of subjects and usually from both sides. I knew about Heller and did Google the language to be sure that what I thought I remembered was actually what was written. I was interested in some reasonable responses on this thread, which a number of guys have provided. Yours, not so much.
76Ag
AG
Why purchase an automobile that can do 100 MPH and more when the maximum speed limit I have ever seen in Texas is 80MPH? What is an "assault rifle"? Can't any firearm be used to "assault" someone? As far as I can remember the vast majority of these mass shootings are carried out by persons on drugs, acquired the weapon illegally or should never have access to firearms. How is "gun control" going to prevent this??
Well we might as well give up and run
If we let 'm take our God and guns.
mpl35
AG
Duckhook said:

mpl35 said:

Duckhook said:

mpl35 said:

Duckhook said:

I do read a lot, on a wide variety of subjects and usually from both sides. I knew about Heller and did Google the language to be sure that what I thought I remembered was actually what was written. I was interested in some reasonable responses on this thread, which a number of guys have provided. Yours, not so much.
Sure you did. Yet you asked about hunting and home defense when that was never the intention of the 2nd Amendment.

It is ok to admit you had no clue.
Duckhook
AG
mpl35 said:

Duckhook said:

mpl35 said:

Duckhook said:

mpl35 said:

Duckhook said:

Sure you did. Yet you asked about hunting and home defense when that was never the intention of the 2nd Amendment.

It is ok to admit you had no clue.

You know nothing about me except that we have a different viewpoint on one issue. Feel free to extrapolate though. And my original question never said anything about the Second Amendment. You're the one who brought that up. I wanted to hear some responses about the practical use of a semi auto, and why the concern over some type of control. Again, I did get some reasonable responses. Not from you though.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Duckhook said:

The Second Amendment only became a big deal when the NRA decided to make it a big deal.

Wow. That's...a lot of incorrect assumptions packed into one sentence. (Most of the rest of your comments have them too but this one hurt my history loving heart).

I'm on a phone away from a keyboard until Wednesday so I can't even begin to spend the time required to help you out here.

But a few suggestions: look up what folks all the way from the Greek stoics and Cicero, to the more modern thinkers like Locke, Hobbes, Thomas Aquinas, Jefferson, etc thought about a concept known as natural rights.

The federalist papers (Hamilton in #29, Madison in #46, Hamilton again in #28 aludes back to natural rights) are also good reading on why the 2nd amendment exists and provides a background for the politics of the 2A almost a century before the NRA was founded.

Speaking of the NRA, look up the origin of the NRA, the early national anti gun laws like the National Firearms Act of 1934, and when the NRA started actually getting political.

That should give you a good base to start discussing the 2nd amendment, politics around it, and the NRA.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.