Outdoors
Sponsored by

School shooting in Florida

50,026 Views | 551 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BenderRodriguez
skelso
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families.

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Shooting-at-Florida-high-school-no-of-wounded-unclear-474080673.html
fightingfarmer09
Foxnews already had Col Peters making the call for banning military style firearms.

Even said, we don't know if they were used.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I freaking hate this stuff and really feel bad for the people that are affected by it. However, I'll go ahead and point out the elephant in the room, it'll be very interesting to see what happens in the market in the near future.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
aggiepaintrain
AG
I have 3 kids in school and I want something to change.
BreNayPop
AG
I hate to think of my kids at the risk of someone else's mercy...

I wish mental health and personal responsibility improvements were demanded every bit as much as demands for removal of a tool used after these episodes.
cevans_40
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

Like what?
AgEng06
AG
cevans_40 said:

aggiepaintrain said:

Like what?
Stop making schools soft targets, for one.
highvelocity
AG
there was a video of it posted on instagram with dozens of shots ringing out in the video. thoughts and prayers to those affected

guns dont kill people, people kill people
aggiepaintrain
AG
Armed guards at every school and teachers with guns.
FTAG 2000
AG
Dear libs, gun control won't solve anything.

When we can go back to tackling mental health in this country as an illness instead of something to be celebrated, you'll see this kind of crap diminished.

jabberwalkie09
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

As a point, the superintendent did say there were supposedly two resource officers on the campus.
Ol Jock 99
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

Too bad there is no money for that. Especially in Texas, which has removed billions in state education funding and is now trying to cap the amount of local revenue that ISDs gonna raise.

Never mind the fact that the statistical likelihood of your child being involved in one of the shootings approaches zero. And that's coming from a father of four, all under ten years of age.
tx1c
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

aggiepaintrain said:

Too bad there is no money for that. Especially in Texas, which has removed billions in state education funding and is now trying to cap the amount of local revenue that ISDs gonna raise.

Never mind the fact that the statistical likelihood of your child being involved in one of the shootings approaches zero. And that's coming from a father of four, all under ten years of age.
How much extra money is necessary simply to allow licensed (to carry) teachers & staff to carry?
Armed guards does seem to be a bit over the top in most cases.
2wealfth Man
AG
I know two Aggie families that live in that area (Heron Bay). Say prayers.

Update: all family members have been accounted for!
johnrth
According to the live thread on Reddit, the school and most of the students at the school knew this kid was off his rocker for a long time. They knew he had guns, knew he had thoughts and dreams of school shootings etc. Supposedly this kid hasn't been able to bring bags on campus since freshman year because he brought a machete once.

The kid was a complete nut case and should have been locked away in a looney bin if half of that stuff was true. Depending on his age I would think the parents should be held liable to some extent for not better handling their son. If the school knew he was a major threat or issue, why didn't they do more. Expulsion?
Ol Jock 99
AG
That requires political leadership and will. Which is in very short supply these days.
Muzzleblast
Dims raise a ton of money from these things.
BrazosDog02
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

I freaking hate this stuff and really feel bad for the people that are affected by it. However, I'll go ahead and point out the elephant in the room, it'll be very interesting to see what happens in the market in the near future.
Will it? I mean, we've been to this rodeo a few times. We know exactly how this will play out, right? I will get a flood of bull**** on my facebook, a bunch of politicians will call for gun control, my libtard friends will unfriend me (and then re-friend later), you'll get a momentary or relatively temporary bump in sales, I'll panic buy something because it's just who I am, and then in a week to a couple months, it'll be back to business as usual until another one.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Will it? I mean, we've been to this rodeo a few times. We know exactly how this will play out, right? I will get a flood of bull**** on my facebook, a bunch of politicians will call for gun control, my libtard friends will unfriend me (and then re-friend later), you'll get a momentary or relatively temporary bump in sales, I'll panic buy something because it's just who I am, and then in a week to a couple months, it'll be back to business as usual until another one.

This is the first school shooting under Trump. I'm wondering if we'll even get much of that. Definitely not something worth going crazy buying stuff over but I thought that before about stuff and people went full stupid.
BrazosDog02
AG
Ah..true.

Well, people gon' peep.
DiskoTroop
Ol Jock 99 said:

aggiepaintrain said:

Why do we always look to the government for funding?

Offer tax deductions to teachers for gun and training expenses. Get a local gun shop to sponsor your school. Ask the community for volunteers to be armed guards.

There are 100 ways to do this that doesn't involve the government collecting and redistributing my money.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

Why do we always look to the government for funding?

Offer tax deductions to teachers for gun and training expenses.
Your very first idea requires government funding.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Ah..true.

Well, people gon' peep.
Just in case, I did order some extra ammo though. We were low on a couple things so needed it, but ordered a hair more than normal. I hate this.
Yesterday
AG
CNN is reporting he had an AR-15 style weapon....and seemed giddy about it. It is CNN so there's no telling what the weapon is.
average_joker
AG
There's always going to be a little bit of government funding. As a pilot we have access to the FFDO program through the Air Marshals. It's on our own time and own dime to get to location and then the government lets you tag-on to entry level classes they already conduct (for free). It's pretty cheap (for them), and I would bet the training an Air Marshal gets would be perfect for integrating into a classroom (crowded confined space).
fightingfarmer09

Perfect opportunity to push for some mental health approaches to school shootings rather than the gun grabbing.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Q: Why can't we have an honest conversation about guns?
A: Chainsaw bayonet
Yesterday
AG
SHerriff confirmed AR-15 with multiple magazines. Terrible.

Tripped the firearm so everyone would come into the hall.
BrazosDog02
AG
03ki11erAG said:

OK...that's just f---ed up.

I'm the first to parade the idea of profiling. It works here as well. There isn't a person on this thread that didn't go to school with at least ONE person who was...different. Not different like they had a funny nose or purple hair...different like if you woke up the next day and heard they killed someone, you wouldn't be all that surprised. There doesnt seem to be a good way to assume someone is nuts, but sometimes they say things like this kid did that really makes you think.

Is there a reasonable way to judge a book by its cover and cut this crap off before it gets out of hand? I know this is kinda minority reportish...but there has to be something reasonable that can be done.
Deats99
AG
I will say, when we moved from Lake Highlands to McLendon-Chisholm I was more than pleased to find that the Heath Police Department was adjacent to my kids elementary school. Even with that proximity, they still have a resource officer on campus most of the time.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
ttha_aggie_09
AG
03ki11erAG said:

CNN is reporting he had an AR-15 style weapon....and seemed giddy about it. It is CNN so there's no telling what the weapon is.

So 99% chance it was not an AR
ntxVol
BrazosDog02 said:

03ki11erAG said:

OK...that's just f---ed up.

I'm the first to parade the idea of profiling. It works here as well. There isn't a person on this thread that didn't go to school with at least ONE person who was...different. Not different like they had a funny nose or purple hair...different like if you woke up the next day and heard they killed someone, you wouldn't be all that surprised. There doesnt seem to be a good way to assume someone is nuts, but sometimes they say things like this kid did that really makes you think.

Is there a reasonable way to judge a book by its cover and cut this crap off before it gets out of hand? I know this is kinda minority reportish...but there has to be something reasonable that can be done.
I don't think so. I knew some kids that were messed up and wound up in jail/prison pretty soon. I knew some other kids that were messed up but joined the military or got some girl pregnant and got their **** together pretty quick.

You just can't ever tell, IMO.
JP76
TheEyeGuy said:

BrazosDog02 said:

TheEyeGuy said:

This is the first school shooting under Trump. I'm wondering if we'll even get much of that. Definitely not something worth going crazy buying stuff over but I thought that before about stuff and people went full stupid.

This is far from the first school shooting under Trump
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
JP76 said:

TheEyeGuy said:

BrazosDog02 said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Media circus shooting, I guess is the best way to put it. Outside of Vegas, am I missing anything getting the pub this has so far? I'm drawing a blank, but I may just not be remembering something. I know there are others that happen fairly regularly but generally on a small scale. If I'm forgetting something, sorry, just timeframes on these get a bit blurred.
JP76
TheEyeGuy said:

JP76 said:

TheEyeGuy said:

BrazosDog02 said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Media circus shooting, I guess is the best way to put it. Outside of Vegas, am I missing anything getting the pub this has so far? I'm drawing a blank, but I may just not be remembering something. I know there are others that happen fairly regularly but generally on a small scale. If I'm forgetting something, sorry, just timeframes on these get a bit blurred.

I believe there have been over 10 this year already. I think the reason the others have not been jumped on is because of the low death rate compared to this latest tragedy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.