Outdoors
Sponsored by

School shooting in Florida

50,290 Views | 551 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BenderRodriguez
BCStalk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BrazosDog02 said:

BCStalk said:

This is the response that needs to sink in. History is what has been forgotten and even worse deleted. I will never be caught helpless and unable to defend myself, my family or my friends. This is my right given to me at birth and no one has the authority to take that away. Do you think government officials with security will lose their Glocks and ARs for revolvers and bolt action rifles with stricter gun laws? Definitely not.
Yeah, that's what we all say. But we all own only the weapons we are allowed to own right now. You and I both know that when or if the time comes, you will be disarmed, or you will be killed. If you have family, then that is a decision you won't take lightly, but you will have to make it. I don't foresee enough Americans in the future with desire or means to actually enact change via force as everyone thinks will happen. Sure, you'll have some folks...but you won't have enough. To me, this is why this has to be preserved and fixed NOW. Our rights aren't going to go away in an instant. They are going to go away over decades until one day...we have none.

The entire dam is brought down with a pinhole.

Well lets just pray that the capable will protect the incompetent. The people fighting for gun control will be the ones hiding behind the ones who are fighting to protect our rights.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
agsalaska said:

schmellba99 said:

Going to disagree on #4. We didn't pump prescription drugs into kids for every single ailment, real or perceived 20+ years ago.

It is not the entire problem, but i believe it is a major contributing factor.

That's a good point. I was referring to recreational drugs. But your right about prescription drugs.

My dad died when I was 17 and naturally I was pretty pissed. My mom send me to a guy who diagnosed me with ADHD and gave me a pill prescription. I took it once. I remember how strange it was thinking I had to take a pill cause I was pissed off. I only knew one other kid growing up that took regular medication.

I don't know what the % of kids on prescriptionS is today but my guess iS it is astronomically higher than it was in 93. Not to change the subject or get political on the OB but IMHO prescription drugs are threat number one, at least domestically, in this country.
And who is it who promotes the prescription drugs and controlled financially by big pharma....the government.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
cpsencik04 said:

agsalaska said:

schmellba99 said:

Going to disagree on #4. We didn't pump prescription drugs into kids for every single ailment, real or perceived 20+ years ago.

It is not the entire problem, but i believe it is a major contributing factor.

That's a good point. I was referring to recreational drugs. But your right about prescription drugs.

My dad died when I was 17 and naturally I was pretty pissed. My mom send me to a guy who diagnosed me with ADHD and gave me a pill prescription. I took it once. I remember how strange it was thinking I had to take a pill cause I was pissed off. I only knew one other kid growing up that took regular medication.

I don't know what the % of kids on prescriptionS is today but my guess iS it is astronomically higher than it was in 93. Not to change the subject or get political on the OB but IMHO prescription drugs are threat number one, at least domestically, in this country.
And who is it who promotes the prescription drugs and controlled financially by big pharma....the government.
Exactly. The ironic thing to me is that there is a HUGE movement towards eating better foods, especially by liberals. They want to eat clean, etc. Wife is big into that. I'm 100% behind her on that and enjoy eating better foods because of it. However, many of those same people that are nutso about food having preservatives are the same ones who are taking all of these anti-depressants. Wife is pretty realistic about it and is mostly anti meds, unless actually needed, but I see A LOT of people who are not on board with both philosophies.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
BrazosDog02
AG
I'm not calling you out, but I want your input because I think I already know the answer. I'd like other's input as well. Do you think there should be a line between what citizens can and cannot own? My gut says no. There shouldn't be. I reason that my .22 is just as deadly as my AR15 which is nothing more than a slightly slower shooting full auto weapon so what's the difference? And, If I'm good with that, then why not rocket launchers or a tank? I should be able to own a grenade or any number of military grade weapons so long as I can afford them. But is that right? What is the collective gun advocate thought here? Where do we cross a line...or do we? On second thought....maybe I'm not clear on what I can and cannot own?

Help me out here...
GSS
And now the MSM thinks this is newsworthy, and CNN/MSNBC will use this to fuel their agenda...

PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) 2:20 p.m.

The troubled teen authorities say killed 17 people at a Florida high school excelled in an air-rifle marksmanship program supported by a grant from the National Rifle Association Foundation. It was part of a multi-million dollar effort by the pro-gun group to support youth shooting clubs.

Nikolas Cruz was wearing a shirt with the logo of the Army Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps program when he was arrested Wednesday. Former cadets told The Associated Press that Cruz was on the varsity marksmanship team that competed against other area schools.

The cadets used air rifles special-made for target shooting. The JROTC program at Cruz's school received $10,827 in non-cash assistance from the NRA's foundation while he was there.

The NRA declined to comment. The foundation gave nearly $2.2 million to schools in 2016.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
GSS said:

And now the MSM thinks this is newsworthy, and CNN/MSNBC will use this to fuel their agenda...

PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) 2:20 p.m.

The troubled teen authorities say killed 17 people at a Florida high school excelled in an air-rifle marksmanship program supported by a grant from the National Rifle Association Foundation. It was part of a multi-million dollar effort by the pro-gun group to support youth shooting clubs.

Nikolas Cruz was wearing a shirt with the logo of the Army Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps program when he was arrested Wednesday. Former cadets told The Associated Press that Cruz was on the varsity marksmanship team that competed against other area schools.

The cadets used air rifles special-made for target shooting. The JROTC program at Cruz's school received $10,827 in non-cash assistance from the NRA's foundation while he was there.

The NRA declined to comment. The foundation gave nearly $2.2 million to schools in 2016.
Dammit.
jenn96
AG
And now it turns out that the FBI was warned about this turd in January and just - didn't bother to do anything. Oops!
Quote:

The tipster apparently gave them every detail of the nightmare to come Cruz was homicidal, he had a gun, he was telegraphing his intentions on social media. The caller even knew that he was interested in shooting up a school. That means the FBI was informed not once but twice in the span of a little more than three months that someone named "Nikolas Cruz" was a threat to public safety. (The infamous YouTube comment in which someone posting as "Nikolas Cruz" said he planned to be a "professional school shooter" was left on September 24.)
FBI: We Received A Tip On January 5 That Parkland Shooter Was A Danger But "Protocols Were Not Followed"

And THIS is why I don't take anyone seriously who thinks we need more "regulation" of firearms. We already regulate them. Guns are probably the most highly regulated product sold in America with the exception of pharmaceuticals. And yet no laws, no regulations, and no grandstanding matters when the bureaucrats in charge of acting enforcing these regulations just...don't. In Charleston and Sutherland Springs the feds just didn't bother to update the records and murderers were able to buy guns, and now here the FBI was given all the data they needed to at least interview this guy and just...didn't.
schmellba99
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

I'm not calling you out, but I want your input because I think I already know the answer. I'd like other's input as well. Do you think there should be a line between what citizens can and cannot own? My gut says no. There shouldn't be. I reason that my .22 is just as deadly as my AR15 which is nothing more than a slightly slower shooting full auto weapon so what's the difference? And, If I'm good with that, then why not rocket launchers or a tank? I should be able to own a grenade or any number of military grade weapons so long as I can afford them. But is that right? What is the collective gun advocate thought here? Where do we cross a line...or do we? On second thought....maybe I'm not clear on what I can and cannot own?

Help me out here...

You can own a tank, bazooka, grenades, etc. It is going,to be hell for expensive with a $200 stamp gor each grenade or explosive device plus a year wait, but you pretty much can already.
Josepi
AG
Quote:

Quote:

The tipster apparently gave them every detail of the nightmare to come Cruz was homicidal, he had a gun, he was telegraphing his intentions on social media. The caller even knew that he was interested in shooting up a school. That means the FBI was informed not once but twice in the span of a little more than three months that someone named "Nikolas Cruz" was a threat to public safety. (The infamous YouTube comment in which someone posting as "Nikolas Cruz" said he planned to be a "professional school shooter" was left on September 24.)
FBI: We Received A Tip On January 5 That Parkland Shooter Was A Danger But "Protocols Were Not Followed"

I'm stunned that the government didn't follow the protocol they set in place to help prevent these tragedies.
EskimoJoe
Josepi said:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm stunned that the government didn't follow the protocol they set in place to help prevent these tragedies.

I'm NOT. The fbi is too busy conducting the DNCs wich hunt.
jmazz
AG
Not my words but some truth here:

"Like many of my friends, I've found myself at a loss for words after the school shooting in Florida this week. I grieve that we live in such a broken and violent nation.

There are many conversations going on right now about mental health and access to guns and all of the normal topics people discuss on the heels of these tragedies. Those conversations are important.

But there is another conversation that often gets overlooked after these incidents. As a pastor, I'm always thinking about how major news events connect the church's calling as the people of Jesus Christ. In this case, there is a common thread between the young men who typically commit these acts of violence, a common thread that is usually ignored. I think it's a thread that ties into the gospel, as well.

Here it is: Almost all recent mass shooters grew up in fatherless homes.

Not long ago, I preached a sermon from Ephesians 6, about parents and children. Some of my research for that sermon highlighted what many people already know: children whose fathers are absent, abusive, or distant, are generally angrier, more likely to commit crimes, and more likely to abuse alcohol and drugs. There is a strong correlation between fatherlessness and violence.

Fathers matter. Good fathers represent God, who is the best Father of all. Good fathers teach their kids love instead of hate, confidence instead of fear, kindness instead of violence.

Now, there are some things I'm not saying when I say that fathers matter:

-I'm not saying that mothers don't matter. Of course moms matter. I'm simply saying that fathers also matter.

-I'm not saying that fatherless children are doomed to a life of poverty and violence. I have many friends who grew up in broken or fatherless homes who are exceptional people more than just "fine," some of them are truly remarkable in their character and resilience. There are many factors that contribute to violence, and fatherlessness is only one.

-I'm not saying that we should focus on this one issue to the exclusion of other relevant subjects like mental health or access to firearms.

What I'm saying is this: First, if you're a dad, what you do, and who you are, matters to your kids. A lot. It matters that you're there for them. It matters that you listen to them. It matters that you play with them (another common thread among violent young men is that they never learned how to appropriately "rough house," to be playful with their strength rather than violent). It matters that you spend time with them.

I know that some of my friends are divorced dads you don't live in the house with your kids. While that's a disadvantage, I'd say that every day is a new day. Simply endeavor to be the best, most present dad you can, within the parameters of your current reality. Spend time with your kids if you can. Demonstrate that you care.

Some of you dads feel you've failed. We all have failed in one way or another. You can't change the past, but you can apologize to your kids and start new patterns today.

And finally, for the church: support those people and ministries that reach out to the fatherless. Support adoption agencies with your time and your money. Support your friends who foster and adopt. Volunteer with organizations that serve at-risk kids and teens who are likely to come from broken and fatherless homes.

In the words of James: "Pure religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.""
BrazosDog02
AG
TLDR:

Kids need someone to put a boot in their ass sometimes as part of growing up.

Seriously, it's a good message and worth the read.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Build a wall around every school in the U.S., right? Look, I hunt, I own guns, but something has to change with regard to gun legislation. I guess this isn't a popular opinion on this board, but kids are being killed and all that is offered is "thoughts and prayers."

Yes, mental health is a big issue, but what has our government done to address that? Sorry guys, but something has to change. No kid and parent should have to live in fear about going to school.
TheVarian
AG
What are your suggestions?
bam02
AG
One-Eyed Fat Man said:

Build a wall around every school in the U.S., right? Look, I hunt, I own guns, but something has to change with regard to gun legislation. I guess this isn't a popular opinion on this board, but kids are being killed and all that is offered is "thoughts and prayers."

Yes, mental health is a big issue, but what has our government done to address that? Sorry guys, but something has to change. No kid and parent should have to live in fear about going to school.

This is the simple-minded approach. This is a societal problem and that means it's complex and tough. The answer is not taking away our rights. The answer is a difficult one involving tough love, which is LOVE.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
One-Eyed Fat Man said:

Name one thing that would make me feel safer about sending my wife or kids to school?

If every "Assault Weapon" were to be confiscated, would you feel better? I wouldn't, stops nothing.

If every gun in America were confiscated, would you feel better? I wouldn't, still would be plenty on the streets.

The reality is everyone shouldn't have to live in fear but they need to be aware of the threats in life. Do you think when I go to another county I am less concerned with a violent attack on me or my family? Absolutely not.

I respect you honesty and input but I cannot fathom how anyone that hunts or owns a gun can advocate for what you're saying, that has not been completely brainwashed.
bam02
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

One-Eyed Fat Man said:

Name one thing that would make me feel safer about sending my wife or kids to school?

If every "Assault Weapon" were to be confiscated, would you feel better? I wouldn't, stops nothing.

If every gun in America were confiscated, would you feel better? I wouldn't, still would be plenty on the streets.

The reality is everyone shouldn't have to live in fear but they need to be aware of the threats in life. Do you think when I go to another county I am less concerned with a violent attack on me or my family? Absolutely not.

I respect you honesty and input but I cannot fathom how anyone that hunts or owns a gun can advocate for what you're saying, that has not been completely brainwashed.

This!

I said this after Sandy Hook when all the simple-minded talking heads said the answer was outlawing magazines with greater than 10 round capacity:
anyone with modest training could walk into a gun free zone and slaughter dozens of people with any semiauto pistol and several 10 round mags. When people are defenseless magazine capacity doesn't matter.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
I live in Zambia. My wife and I have been welcomed here with love and acceptance, and no, we don't come bringing money-our work is done in a community development model. We have never feared for our safety here.

I grew up in Pearsall, and I used to take my guns to school in my pickup so I could go hunting after school. Like many of you, my dad taught me about gun safety and responsibility. I still own guns.

One of the things that disgusts me about the political climate we live in today is that politicians from both party solicit votes by scaring people-"If you vote for me, I won't let the ______ harm you." In Lundazi, there's a significant Muslim (Indian immigrants) population. Most are successful businessmen and some have become friends. We live together in peace and harmony. It embarrasses me to discuss the politcal climate in our country with them.

So back to the issue-will outlawing certain weapons solve every problem in the U.S.? Of course not, and I never said it would. But maybe it would be a start. And before you put words in my mouth, I never said take everyone's guns away. By the way, I also think arming teachers is the most idiotic idea put forth.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
One-Eyed Fat Man said:

I'll bite. How? I've looked at this issue A LOT. Probably more than most have. With what I do, it is something that has weighed on my mind. I still always come back to the same conclusion. However, I'm not perfect and will listen and am extremely open minded. Everything that I have ever seen suggested in direct regards to gun control doesn't address the root problem. But if you have an idea that would, I'm all ears.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
One-Eyed Fat Man said:

I live in Zambia. My wife and I have been welcomed here with love and acceptance, and no, we don't come bringing money-our work is done in a community development model. We have never feared for our safety here.

I grew up in Pearsall, and I used to take my guns to school in my pickup so I could go hunting after school. Like many of you, my dad taught me about gun safety and responsibility. I still own guns.

One of the things that disgusts me about the political climate we live in today is that politicians from both party solicit votes by scaring people-"If you vote for me, I won't let the ______ harm you." In Lundazi, there's a significant Muslim (Indian immigrants) population. Most are successful businessmen and some have become friends. We live together in peace and harmony. It embarrasses me to discuss the politcal climate in our country with them.

So back to the issue-will outlawing certain weapons solve every problem in the U.S.? Of course not, and I never said it would. But maybe it would be a start. And before you put words in my mouth, I never said take everyone's guns away. By the way, I also think arming teachers is the most idiotic idea put forth.

Ok so apparently we were typing at the same time there. So, banning certain types of guns. Hope would that help? What would be banned? How do you account for all of the ones already out there? Honest questions here.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'm well aware of who you are and appreciate the things your family has done and the sacrifices you have made. I am not trying to put words in your mouth.

I just respectfully cannot understand your position... particularly ones (I'm not saying this is you) that are driven by emotion and not based on facts.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I'm well aware of who you are and appreciate the things your family has done and the sacrifices you have made. I am not trying to put words in your mouth.

I just respectfully cannot understand your position... particularly ones (I'm not saying this is you) that are driven by emotion and not based on facts.

Agreed here 100%. Hence me questioning. Definitely different perspective than living here so will listen.
AnScAggie
AG
One eye, you have a tough time defending the political climate of the US to people from a country who in 70 years can't figure out who owns Kashmir and still has a thriving caste system?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
AnScAggie said:

One eye, you have a tough time defending the political climate of the US to people from a country who in 70 years can't figure out who owns Kashmir and still has a thriving caste system?

I let that comment slip, intentionally (although it was really hard) but I agree with this statement 100%.
AgLA06
AG
One-Eyed Fat Man said:

Wait, don't you have hired guards at your house? I swear I remember you mentioning this in a story about dogs.
Courtesy Flush
AG
Question for the experts......

If somebody purchase a firearm today from anywhere other than a private seller, what information does the government have about that transaction? I know with some gun sales there is a background check. What guns in Texas do require a background check? All guns? I have a CHL so I haven't been exposed to a background check.

Does the government maintain the records of every background check that was made? Is the concern the 2nd Amendment folks have with background checks that the government will someday use those records to know where to go round up the guns?

Sorry for such basic questions but I do not keep up with all of this to the level that I probably should.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Government only receives the buyer's personal info that is needed for the sale. That info is purged 48 hours after it is reduced by the FFL. They do not get any info about the item being purchased unless they run a trace on it later.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
No, no guards. The exception to that was when we were in the U.S. for five months last year. Poverty is high here, so petty theft can be a problem. As soon as we returned in November, we let the guard go. But as a point of reference, the guard we had was about 5' 5", 125 lbs, armed with a slingshot, mainly for snakes.

With regard to the several other posts responding to my feelings on this subject, where's the middle ground? I have absolutely no problem undergoing an extensive background check to buy a gun. How is that infringing on my rights to own a gun? Understand I'm not angry at any of you for your positions. I believe we can all admit there's a problem, but I don't believe there's one single solution. I do believe there has to be some compromise somewhere, that's all.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
That comment was intended for the Zambians we live and work with. However, most of the Indian families have been here for generations, coming to work and escape the caste system when both were British colonies.

In worship this morning, during intercessory prayer, I shared about the school shooting in Florida and asked for prayers for the families affectected. Suffice it to say that such violence is beyond the comprehension of those we live and work with here.
KW02
AG
General thoughts that may help with gun violence.

1. Enforce existing gun laws. Including taking guns away from a person that is not allowed to have them if there is evidence that such person does.

2. I am not sure how the NICS works but I understand that is pulls criminal background data from various databases. It would make sense to have one centralized database. There should be stringent deadlines, guidelines and penalties about reporting individuals to the database that do not qualify for purchases (if those dont exist).

Banning guns or semi-automatic rifles is clearly not the answer as it is punishing millions of innocent people for the evil/unlawful acts of a few. Similar to vehicles (almost 300 million vehicles and guns in the US). We shouldn't ban vehicles because someone ran over a bunch of people or made a vehicle into a bomb. I dont know the answer but in today's society, there will continue to be mass harm (shootings, stabbings, running over people) regardless of existing or any to-be enacted laws.

schmellba99
AG
One-Eyed Fat Man said:

No, no guards. The exception to that was when we were in the U.S. for five months last year. Poverty is high here, so petty theft can be a problem. As soon as we returned in November, we let the guard go. But as a point of reference, the guard we had was about 5' 5", 125 lbs, armed with a slingshot, mainly for snakes.

With regard to the several other posts responding to my feelings on this subject, where's the middle ground? I have absolutely no problem undergoing an extensive background check to buy a gun. How is that infringing on my rights to own a gun? Understand I'm not angry at any of you for your positions. I believe we can all admit there's a problem, but I don't believe there's one single solution. I do believe there has to be some compromise somewhere, that's all.

We already go through a background check to buy a gun. What good would more background checks,serve? Is this like in A Few Good Men where a "strenuous" objection is somehow better than a refular objection?

Additionally, there is no other right granted that we have put restrictions on. Hell, we cant even get a rule passed where you have to prove you are a legal citizen to vote, which is the most important right we have., yet apparently many think you should have to jump theough some infinite number of hoops to buy a gun.

Think about this - we didnt begin to even discuss gun control until the 1920's. Not even after the various rebellions and Civil War, where half the country fought to leave the union and over 600,000 people died. Gun control is 100% a political tool, nothing more. You need to accept that.

As cruel as tbis will sound, the fact of the matter is that kids getting shot at school is just about at the bottom of the list of things to worry about. These 17 kids and every other kid that will tragically lose their life at school tbis year, are, in the concept of death count, rounding errors. You want to end needless child death? Look at car accidents, swimming pools and drug overdoses first. We need to keep that in perspective.

As far as compromise, our side has compromised enough. Time for the other side to learn the concept.
redass1876
AG
One-Eyed Fat Man said:

That comment was intended for the Zambians we live and work with. However, most of the Indian families have been here for generations, coming to work and escape the caste system when both were British colonies.

In worship this morning, during intercessory prayer, I shared about the school shooting in Florida and asked for prayers for the families affectected. Suffice it to say that such violence is beyond the comprehension of those we live and work with here.

Can we concede that the first step should be actually following up on credible leads that someone is about to do this?

FBI is much more liable here than guns
Nealthedestroyer
AG
schmellba99 said:

One-Eyed Fat Man said:

We already go through a background check to buy a gun. What good would more background checks,serve? Is this like in A Few Good Men where a "strenuous" objection is somehow better than a refular objection?

Additionally, there is no other right granted that we have put restrictions on. Hell, we cant even get a rule passed where you have to prove you are a legal citizen to vote, which is the most important right we have., yet apparently many think you should have to jump theough some infinite number of hoops to buy a gun.

Think about this - we didnt begin to even discuss gun control until the 1920's. Not even after the various rebellions and Civil War, where half the country fought to leave the union and over 600,000 people died. Gun control is 100% a political tool, nothing more. You need to accept that.

As cruel as tbis will sound, the fact of the matter is that kids getting shot at school is just about at the bottom of the list of things to worry about. These 17 kids and every other kid that will tragically lose their life at school tbis year, are, in the concept of death count, rounding errors. You want to end needless child death? Look at car accidents, swimming pools and drug overdoses first. We need to keep that in perspective.

As far as compromise, our side has compromised enough. Time for the other side to learn the concept.

There's no point in trying to convince him. He doesn't understand what the 2nd Amendment means or stands for.
Josepi
AG
This

1)There is no possible way that on today's society and culture that a lead about a school shooter should be ignored. I get it that the FBI receives thousands of leads abday, and that the vast majority of them aren't credible, but there is no excuse for this. The term "school shooting" should have set off every alarm bell at the FBI and moved that tip to the top of the list.

2)Existing laws on the book need to be enforced. The South Texas church shooter should never have been legally allowed to purchase a firearm. However, our government once again did a shoddy job of following the rules and procedures that they laid out.

There is obviously not a quick fix to this problem, but let's start by actually enforcing the rules we already have on the book. What's the point of passing more legislation if nobody is going to abide by it?
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Have you lost a child? I have.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.