Outdoors
Sponsored by

Casa Gringo - Central Texas Barndominium Build

164,890 Views | 376 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Txgunrnnr
mAgnoliAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
locogringo
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

Hope the pup is ok.
Cash is fine now. Just living up to his name....

Bit around noon on the 28th. Was back in our possession afternoon of the 29th. Scaring is basically non existent. Kinda looks like only one fang got in real good, the other made a mark but was smaller. Probably would have been fine with just the Benadryl at-home treatment, but I had no experience with this before so Mrs. Gringo took him in. Going back in for a rattle snake vaccine (?) this week. I'm not took sure what that does to help but it's cheap evidently.
CSTXAg92
AG
locogringo said:

Carpet got installed in the loft. I'm running low on trim, so it'll have to wait.

Counter tops for the bathrooms made it also. All counter tops are now done.

Found a vanity light that is going to work for all the vanities in the house. Those things can be stupid expensive. We found a satin nickle one for $69 each. The same light in oil rubber bronze was $332. Stupid. We wanted black anyhow so we decided to try and paint the satin nickle ones.

Stock photo:

Blown apart

Back together. Turned out pretty dang good. I was skeptical of painting it.

Next fun project was the lights and ceiling fan in the living room.

Started out only slightly sketchy on top of the 18' scaffolding.

Then increased the sketch-factor by adding a ladder to get at the peak ~25 foot

Avoided any accidents and it all got done. Also got the big quad window trimmed while I was up there.

Master closet was next on the list. Started by building the 2 built-ins that will be on each side. His and hers with different layouts to accommodate different needs.

Hers:

His:

Each shelf got it's own dado to help with strength

Next were the hanging rods. We knew we wanted the same 1 5/16" metal tubing used in the laundry room but had to get a bit creative with the mounting. When we installed the blocking back during framing we didn't put them at the correct heights. So we had to choose to somehow get up to the blocking, or move the supports horizontally to hit studs. We went with the harder route, but it is making for some interesting designs.

Back rod

All those crazy angles required some more thought to build than I anticipated. All of the pieces had a pair of angle cuts, the cuts had to end up oriented to each other correctly. Sometimes that meant 90 degrees to each other, sometimes it was 180 degrees to each other.

For example, the top and bottom cuts on these pieces both had to be 90 to each other (within the same piece), but then the pieces had to be mirrors of each other also. It's hard to see, but the cuts at the top of the picture aren't square to the pipe, the are 45'd towards the camera.

To accomplish this, I had to break out the angle finder and weld on a reference tab to a stick of tubing. Then cut each piece consecutively using the angle finder to rotate the tube to the right position.

Also made a quick and dirty jig to position the tubing in the center of the square brackets. 2 sticks of scrap attached at a 90. then 2 "walls" to catch the bracket:

The T shape of the jig was ripped to a certain width so that their edges would be the tubing's radius away from center.

This resulted in the tube being centered when butted up.

Back half of the right side is done. I'll duplicate this on the left side tonight.

The lower rod is much more simple with just a support going to the rear. The top rod was done that way just to match the back rod.

Also built out the linen closet (shelves), hung the living room TV, Trimmed the triple window in the living room, built some shelves in kitchen cabinets, did some misc. trim but failed to take pictures.
The painted lamps look great and those closet rods are masterful.
SharkinAg
AG
Thoughts and prayers for your ac bill with that ceiling
danieljustin06
AG
It's been a month. I think Loco finished and doesn't want to tell us because we'll start demanding the OB party to be held.
TheVarian
AG
I'll bring some beer
saltydog13
AG
The beauty of spray foam prevents that one
locogringo
AG
I want to thank all the OB posters who came out this weekend for the house warming party.

Looks like we cleaned up pretty good

I also found 3 piles of these, someone was nice enough to rake them up

And to who ever literally slept in the dog house, why didn't you just sleep in the actual house?

I am also excited to see where someone hid my trailer jack handle (and how they got it out of there??)

And thank you to whoever left the greatest house warming gift ever:
locogringo
AG
I'm just kidding guys. I didn't have the party without y'all. Those pictures are just random situations I'm currently dealing with.

The past month had only been small, not exciting progress on the house. I figured my only worthy updates left will be:

• building drawers
  • Building kitchen uppers
  • building loft ladder
  • building attic stairs
  • Master shower build

The past month has been little house work and a lot of visiting new babies back home and getting the new companies up and going. The engineering company we started in April is starting to gain customers. However, we started another company in June, a construction company focusing on dry utility installation. And that company has been going CRAZY the last few weeks.

Work is about to restart on the house however. I have all the material to build the kitchen uppers and then about half of my drawer slides have been delivered so far. So those 2 projects should be rolling soon.

Since I have no visual update. Here is a hidden bookshelf/door I helped design for someone. I know there are hinges and kits you can buy to do this, but the trick here is the customer wanted the full 12" bookcase to swing into the room. The extra thickness added a little extra pain.

danieljustin06
AG
Somehow I missed your post yesterday. That was really good. Glad to hear your businesses are picking up, my field has been dead. That hidden door bookcase looks really cool. And seems that will actually be hidden. There are some out there that just are "hidden" really and that just a quick look gives it away.
AgySkeet06
AG
Sooooo 3 months and no updates????

Did you finish it or are you just living in a half constructed barndo???
jt2hunt
AG
Waiting!
cas8019
AG
I need some updates!!!
MX_723
I'm not an Aggies guy, or even from Texas, nor do I have a barndo so this sounds a bit kooky but I happened across this thread while doing my own barndo research and man..what a trip! I went through all 11 pages!! Great info and I'm super pumped for you Gringo. The whole setup is awesome. Hopefully the mrs and I can do half as well on our build when we get it going.
I thought I'd bump this as I really expected an end to the story when I started and coming to an abrupt halt on pg 11 has me interested in seeing how it all turned out!
aggiedadd
Updates?
V8Aggie
AG
That ladder on the scaffold. You're bat**** crazy!
GarryowenAg
AG
V8Aggie said:

That ladder on the scaffold. You're bat**** crazy!

This is why OSHA was established
Roger That
AG
It's only crazy when you **** up and fall.
Aggieangler93
AG
I read the ladder on scaffolding and laughed and hoped the fixtures weren't mounted at ceiling level. Thank goodness, as changing bulbs would require almost the same ingenuity.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
locogringo
AG
I'm glad y'all bumped this. I've been wanting to do an update, but work is still super busy, and I'm a little embarrassed the house isn't completely complete yet. But there are some things I can post up, the bump gives me the motivation to do it.

And yes...the ladder on the scaffold was not ideal. Screwing in a bulb would not have been that bad, but having to drive self tappers into the roof perlins and wire the drop cord for the fixture were sketchy to say the least.

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
bump
danieljustin06
AG
Apparently the previous bump wasn't motivation enough for pictures...
locogringo
AG
We're ice'd in, can't get to the office. Finally have time to do an update.

Not that it's relevant any more. Haha.

This is all from a good while back. It didn't take this long, I swear….

We do have a few small items to do in order to say its really done, but they are more aesthetics than anything,

Grass came in good. I was surprised using just seed and fertilizer with the sub-par soil we have here.

Kitchen uppers were missing from the last update.

Rendering for reference:

Construction method was the same as the other cabinets, I'll save you the monotony and skip to install. These were the important ones as they had to fit the microwave:

Added the other cabinet box and then face frames. Ready for doors:

I will grab finished picture soon

Drawer boxes were next. Ended up purchasing them from "The Drawer Depot" online. Was about the same price as it would have cost me for materials. No brainer. Good quality. I went with the Dove-tail, white birch economy, pre-finished (clear), bullnose tops, " sides, " bottom. all drawers besides the 4 really large ones (only 2 pictured) use KV full extension soft close slides. The 4 large ones use Blum Tandem full extension soft close.

I guess part of the uppers is the accent wall behind the stove and the vent hood.

Main structure:

Test fitting hood, setting height.

Starting on finish boards. Area below wood will be tile.

Accent wall finished. And tile going up. 3 boards on the left are anchors for floating shelves

I'll try to grab more pictures this evening.

This guy slows me down some too. He is more fun than carpentry
W TX Refugee
AG
Good looking helper there. For what it is worth, thank you for posting and updating this during your process. We are getting close to finishing our project and this was very helpful for reference on our project. Y'all's turned out awesome.
locogringo
AG
Floating shelves on the left side. Built out of same material the vent hood wall is (knotty alder) and stained to match the other wood items in house (master bed frame and a barn door in master).

Started with simple brackets made from scraps.

Built a shell out of the 3/4 material to make it appear thicker. Ripped down and mitered pieces around the edge so it looks like one board when viewed straight on. Also had to make pockets to hose the wall brackets and relief for the anchor boards on the wall.

All mounted and loaded up

kitchen done (other than glass inserts for uppermost doors) . Tile and shelves came out good. Pot filler is cool but was a pain.

Rendering made it not as exciting because it came out exactly the same

Build It
AG
Promise us you'll never use that scaffold line that again. Glad you lived.

And it looks great. Congrats.
Txgunrnnr
AG

Any update after 8 months?

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.