Outdoors
Sponsored by

Casa Gringo - Central Texas Barndominium Build

165,355 Views | 376 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Txgunrnnr
ThunderCougarFalconBird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bump
locogringo
AG
Dammit Blindey. I searched thru page 15 before I found this hidden on page 2.

Just kidding, I humbled by yall's enthusiasm, it has helped me document the process better and even provides motivation on slow days.

Christmas break was decently productive considering loosing time to all the family events. However, I am looking through pictures right now, I didn't take enough to really show the whole of many of the projects. I will take some pics tonight and report back first thing in the AM.
locogringo
AG
Quote:

I will take some pics tonight and report back first thing in the AM PM.
Kitchen cabinet boxes are in their places and bolted to the walls for good. Counter top support structure behind the oven is basically done. This weekend I will get started (and hopefully finish) the face frames for all the lowers. This will allow for counter tops to be ordered.

Lots of trim has been done. Makes thing look so much better. Still all needs to be caulked and painted, but still much better. Here is one of the large windows.

Also got the split jambs for the 3 pocket doors done, and half of them trimmed out.

Pocket side

"closed" side

Also got a chandelier that Mrs.Gringo painted hung and operating. Also pictured here is the clothes rod built in the previous post

Nothing too exciting on the clothes rod, just bolted it to a ceiling truss, but that process involved an unanticipated search and rescue mission. --- I had told Mrs. Gringo a few days ago that I was sad I couldn't find my small level. I had bought it during the framing stage and was thinking I left it up on a ceiling truss and it got covered by drywall. Well come time to bolt the clothes rod to the ceiling, I went up stairs to look down into the cavity between the loft floor and the ground floor ceiling to see what I could bolt to. This is what I see:

What's that below the far air duct?

This started a mission of using a tape measure to try and hook and pull the level to me, across the drywall and up and over each truss. Unfortunately the magnet side on the level wouldn't hold on to the metal tape measure clip, so it was more of an ordeal than it should have been. None the less:

Only a $11 level, but I was so happy.

We hung the barn door in the master with an amazon hardware kit. Worked out pretty well:

Stained it:

Cut a groove for the floor keeper to travel in:

I got a kick out of the router with the edge guide added to it. looks like a transformer:

Re hung the door:

Ran into an issue once the trim was added. The door didn't hang far enough off the wall to really clear the trim. It was close, but not quite.

solution, add some washers behind the rail to space it off. Cut them open a bit so I didn't have to fully remove the lag bolts from the wall

not much different, but it clears now

Next big project was the new bed for the Master. Previous post has the design ideas from a website Mrs. Gringo found (shanty chic or some chic like that).

~$300 of wood

One thing I did not like about the online design was the reliance of Kreg Jig screws. They had the bed being held up by 3 screws in shear on each corner. I modified each joint to use either mortise and tenon or mortise and tenon with kreg screws.

They just want this joint to be kreg'ed in this fashion:

I extended each board I could to "key" into each other:

I did this in as many places as I could

I also glued as much as I could in addition to the tenons or screws that were used. This also helped me justify to Mrs. Gringo some of the tools in the shop. They double as weights while glue is drying

All done with building

Add stain

Moved in and put back together:

We are trying out one of these mail order beds:

The kitchen pantry also got built and it currently drying.

top piece:

Bottom piece (face down)

we'll get that moved in this weekend also, and see if it solves the highly controversial front door trim overhang/ no overhang situation.

Hung the TV in the master

have to buy a new power cord then I will take care of that horrible cord management. I don't know why they sell them with this type of cord:

The cord should come out of the bottom of the plug, not straight back. so stupid.

Mrs. Gringo also power washed the front porch, feels much better walking in now.

Overall it was a decent Christmas break as far as productivity goes. We did take time to be with friends and family which is most important. We did 3 Christmas's and our anniversary on the break, so lots of good times.

Cash even got his first Christmas present:

danieljustin06
AG
Nice progress! Check you mattress. I have heard that purple has/had an issue with some kind of powder being left over on the mattress and it is/was causing respiratory issues for some people. You should be able to unzip the top cover and see on top of the mattress if the powder is still there.
AggieChemist
AG
Your barn door is open.
locogringo
AG
Face frames got completed. Counter top estimates are underway.

We did a bunch of little things, and also a bunch of non house things, so no other pictures to show. We did get delivery of the kitchen sink and the hall bath sink. Building the center island is next on the list, it is a bit of a Swiss army knife of a cabinet

Scriffer
AG
I like the cabinets. What materials are you using for construction? I'm new to the idea, but I'm close to trying something out.

Love the updates. This is one of my favorite threads on TexAgs
fullback44
AG
One of the coolest threads on this site, I just now found this thread and went through your entire build and I'm pretty amazed, having remodeled about 2 houses as a hobby "just for fun", I can't imagine doing all the work that you have done yourselves. Excellent work, you guys are getting closer every weekend.
locogringo
AG
Thanks for the kind words Scriffer and fullback

The cabinets are being done out of ***** plywood for the boxes, Poplar for the face frames, and the doors will be poplar as well I believe.
Aggietaco
AG
Have the same barn door kit (and router) and ran into the same issues in our laundry room. Had to space the brackets off the wall a bit and countersink the bolt heads into the door to clear the trim.

Looking good, keep it up.
locogringo
AG
Was fighting some crud this weekend that slowed me down a bit, snoting and hacking all over the place. But I did get some work done on the center island.

Sketchup Model:

The big blank area on the left end will be an d X-grid for wine bottle storage and hanging glass storage to it's left, just didn't feel like drawing all those in sketchup.

With doors, top, and sink removed:

I got the 3 units on the sink side built:

It may be hard to see on the Sketchup, but there is a small pony wall between the sink side cabinets and the overhang side cabinets. This wall will be bolted to the floor and then all the cabinets attached to it and to themselves. Just like the previous ones, I'll come back and build face frames after. which is why the picture of the partial completed cabinets looks so weird on the left side, that whole end is basically face frame.

Hope to finish 2/3 of the other side this week, then the final 1/3 and face frames this weekend. We held off on ordering counter tops till the island is done so we can get it in this trip. Really want to get the tops ordered next week.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Looks great. One thing I did on my island was to bring the sides out almost as long as the granite overhang. It does a good job of hiding the stools from the sides.
JYDog90
AG
How do you like the purple bed?
locogringo
AG
Grimes - That's a good point about hiding the stools. It was actually in my original plan for the island to extend like you're saying. I was thinking more for support of the top, but the installer said he didn't need it, and Mrs. Gringo wanted the more open look.

Wonka - I'm still undecided. It definitely is not uncomfortable. But I'm not sure if it is twice as good as some of the mattresses we looked at that were half the price. Ours is the purple material over coils, there is another option of the purple material over foam. Before our 100 nights is up we are going to go try a purple over foam one to see if we want to exchange.
locogringo
AG
I've learned to never complain about rain, but dang did it slow this project. I built all of the boxes then started to screw them all together and quickly realized I only want to do that once. It required a ton of shimming and leveling that would have been horrible to try and take apart, paint and reassemble. So decided I needed to paint first which ended up screwing the schedule up, but that is about par for this entire build.

Started with a bunch of measuring, placing tape on the floor, and chalk lines to make sure the island ended up square to the cabinets.

Built a small pony wall and bolted it to the floor based off the tape and chalk lines. This is mainly to give the island boxes something to shim against. It is also the only thing bolted to the floor, so attaching the boxes to it keeps everything from sliding around.

Dry fit with unpainted boxes

Boxes painted and back in place, after the rain delay

And finally, all the face frames built and attached:

I still need to add the toe kick boards around the bottom, but my main goal was to get the top finished out so counter tops can be measured and ordered.

I came up with a different set up for mortise and tenons than last time I showed it. This method separated the 2 processes to 2 different tools. This allows for going back and forth between mortise or tenon without having to move any of the jigs.

All being done on the table saw. Tenons on the actual saw, mortise on the router table wing.

Mortises use the saw fence set so the bit is centered on the work piece. Then a straight scrap board clamped to the table top to help hold the work piece against the fence. The scrap piece also has marks on it for the edges of the bit.

Tenons use a temporary fence to set the tenon length. And the saw blade height sets the thickness of the tenon. Square the work piece up with the miter slider, butt it against the fence, and run it through. Repeat for all 4 sides, then make a few more passes, each one a little further from the fence than the last and out pops a tenon. Because the mortise is rounded and the tenon is squared, a chisel knocks the squared edges off quickly.

Once all the depths are dialed in, it makes pretty tight joints.

The side project for this weekend was a raised bed for Mrs. Gringo. I screwed some treated 2x10 together for her and she took care of the rest.

Nothing crazy, pretty simple ~$30 after tax. I think she plans to do a few of these in a row. Cash definitely thinks we just built him a play box....

I think I am taking a small break from the house once the island is totally done. I have a truck that needs new injectors, Mrs. Gringo's car needs an oil change, and I have a small leak to take car of. Then I think we are going to start on the front gate.
TrapdinEastTX
AG
Thanks for doing this. Whenever is see this thread (or an Agrams thread) bumped, I have to click.
locogringo
AG
Last thing to finish up on the island was a simple outlet.

Shallow box fit PERFECTLY

One of the easier tasks on the list

Now the fun part. We got a delivery:

Installed:

Faucet:

Close up of the pattern:

Last weekend when I said I was taking a break from the house somehow turned into pouring a footing for a stone wall.

grubbed out the area:

Forms set:

Poured and forms stripped:

It's ugly, but its gunna work for what we need. An 18" tall stone wall matching the wainscot on the house will go on this footing. This will make the top of the wall even with the sidewalk but about 18-24 inches away from it. The space between will then get filled in with nicer soil to create a spice garden.
locogringo
AG
All the craziness right now has slowed us down. On top of that we have some big events in our personal life that is adding to the craziness. But, we did get a few little random projects this weekend.

Found an ad on Craigslist for old pallets.

Picked through and get all the ones good enough to use

Busted them all apart and started to install on one side of the hallway as an accent wall.

Added the doors

There are a few boards missing in this picture, but it is done now.

Other project was the Durock for the hall bath shower.

I'll work on the joints and then waterproof over the next week. I have a guy who should be doing the tile work in the near future.

I then need to get back on building cabinets (which is why I'm hiring out the tile). I've been putting it off for a bit because of some of the craziness, but should be able to devote much more time to them in the near future.
locogringo
AG
So just to clarify on the previous post:

Quote:

All the craziness right now has slowed us down. On top of that we have some big events in our personal life that is adding to the craziness.
A coworker and I put in our 2 week notice on the 16th. The 31st was our last day. We are both Aggie Civil Engineers and have started our own engineering and development company. (shameless plug: if anyone has a single family, multi family, or commercial development going on or coming up, and need feasibility, entitlements, engineering, and/or management - let me know!) This may be the worst time that will ever happen during my adult life to start a business, but it had been in the works way before Corona showed up so we had made preparations that are helping us through this odd time.

That's not even the biggest or best news:

!!!!!!!

Mrs. Gringo is eating for 2! This is our first, it goes without saying, we are super excited (nervous?), especially with the new business. To make matters more crazy, my business partner and his wife are due with their first 3-4 months before us. Exciting times indeed.

So on to the stuff you came here for:

Tile guy is scheduled for Saturday, last night I got the backer board taped and thin-set applied:

I also got all of the remaining base cabinets in the house built and primed:

I will paint this afternoon, then tomorrow start installing in their places and building face frames

The footing that was poured a while back finally got its rock installed. The idea now is to place some 1 inch stone in the bottom for drainage (1" pvc pipes were placed in the wall every 5-6 feet), then topsoil over that to make a bit of a spice garden level with the sidewalk.

Finally, with the new business running, we are using my house as a temporary office so the loft has become a higher priority than before. I added some furing strips to the metal building wall to allow for the shiplap to be nailed to. Shiplap will get painted today and start going up tomorrow.

With all the babies on the way, Business partner and I are getting rid of some stuff. Posted over on the Auto Board, 1981 CJ5 WITH an 18' car hauler. Read the details over there, but the Jeep has got a lot of potential as a small project.

https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/3104587
TheVarian
AG
Congratulations!!
rootube
AG
Congratulations!

Love the thread as always.
CowtownAg06
AG
Huge congrats! Where in Texas are located for work?

Also, not sure why but I pictured you a little beyond child having age. Makes this even more impressive in my opinion.
Aggietaco
AG
Congrats on the kiddo, loco! The first run through is really fun.
danieljustin06
AG
Congratulations!
locogringo
AG
Appreciate the love y'all.

Quote:

Huge congrats! Where in Texas are located for work?

Also, not sure why but I pictured you a little beyond child having age. Makes this even more impressive in my opinion.
Relocating permanently to the La Grange-Columbus-Brenham area by the end of the year (ish). Currently located in Bell County. The company will provide (or DOES provide now) services for the entire state.

Well I am getting up there in years, about 5 weeks away from my 29th birthday.... Hopefully being a Millennial won't drive too many of y'all away from the thread.

Our company computers are being held up because of COVID, but are supposed to be here early this week. So we decided we should focus on the space we are going to use as our office, which is the loft at the barndo. So "the company" worked on this Thursday and Friday.

Before:

Start of shiplap:

Walls done:

Ceiling done:

Fan and electrical done:

After:

Holding off on trim until the carpet is in. Then I'll trim, build the ladder (hole on the left of last picture), and the decorative "fence" (hole on the right of last picture). My buddy also pointed out an amazing spot for a small wet bar up there. If I find a way to get water and sewer to it, I'll show that as well.
locogringo
AG
Been able to get more work done now that we're office-ing out of my house. Can't seem to find time to post tho.

Hall bath shower tile got completed back during Easter.

I got all the base cabinets in the master bath in place

Then turned my focus to the face frames. These went much faster than the previous ones

Also got the spice garden filled and one non-spice plant in.

Guys are coming to measure the loft for carpet today. Hopefully install is soon. Counter top people should be here to install all the remaining counters (master bath and shop bath) on Tuesday. Also just got a call that the shower base for the shop shower is at the store. So next to-do's are the trim in the loft after carpet, master closet cabinet and hanging rods, shop shower, loft metalwork (ladder and railing).
oscar9
AG
Where did you get your corrugated ceiling tin?

Looks sharp
khkman22
AG
After seeing a couple of posts about property tax values, I thought about how could you build something and make the appraisal district think your house wasn't worth much. Which made me think about this thread. Since you are building it yourself, there won't be a normal close process when everything is complete. Unless you are using a construction loan and will convert it to a standard mortgage when finished. So I was wondering, has the appraisal district been out to assess anything? Other than seeing a new structure from aerial photos, do they know the specifics of the building?
locogringo
AG
Ceiling tin came from an old barn that was going to be knocked down. A few buddies, a few days, a few cases of beer, a chain saw, a bunch of chains and straps, and a truck. Didn't take good enough pictures of the whole process. Should have taken video of some of it, we took all the wall tin off, then just started cutting roof supports until the truck could rip it off the barn. The fun part was we could only get the truck on one side of the barn, so the roof on the back side came up and over the barn to the side we cold access....very interesting.

The tax guy..... oh the tax guy, or in this case the tax lady. I kept checking the CAD website and map ariel to see when they would know. Sure enough, within a few weeks of the barn popping up on their map they sent someone out. No one was home but the gate was open, so she went and measured outside, looked in windows and measured a guess at what the living space was. She also left her card on the door. So I called and she was very nice and polite, not something I'm use to with CAD employees. She was very reasonable on her assessment. It ended up being a good thing because we were able to submit our homestead exemption and secured the Ag on the land around the house.

But yes, you are correct. If you kept them off your property (harder to do with ag exemption) you could just call and tell them " I have a x' by x' barn, not finished out, just storage". However they know to look for AC units outside, so you may should tell them it just has a small office or something in it.

I hate to lie or deceive someone, but I know its easy to do with the tax guy. I was happy with how mine turned out, didn't need to lie and got all the exemptions I should have.
neil99
AG
It's looking amazing. Congratulations on the baby!
locogringo
AG
Carpet got installed in the loft. I'm running low on trim, so it'll have to wait.

Counter tops for the bathrooms made it also. All counter tops are now done.

Found a vanity light that is going to work for all the vanities in the house. Those things can be stupid expensive. We found a satin nickle one for $69 each. The same light in oil rubber bronze was $332. Stupid. We wanted black anyhow so we decided to try and paint the satin nickle ones.

Stock photo:

Blown apart

Back together. Turned out pretty dang good. I was skeptical of painting it.

Next fun project was the lights and ceiling fan in the living room.

Started out only slightly sketchy on top of the 18' scaffolding.

Then increased the sketch-factor by adding a ladder to get at the peak ~25 foot

Avoided any accidents and it all got done. Also got the big quad window trimmed while I was up there.

Master closet was next on the list. Started by building the 2 built-ins that will be on each side. His and hers with different layouts to accommodate different needs.

Hers:

His:

Each shelf got it's own dado to help with strength

Next were the hanging rods. We knew we wanted the same 1 5/16" metal tubing used in the laundry room but had to get a bit creative with the mounting. When we installed the blocking back during framing we didn't put them at the correct heights. So we had to choose to somehow get up to the blocking, or move the supports horizontally to hit studs. We went with the harder route, but it is making for some interesting designs.

Back rod

All those crazy angles required some more thought to build than I anticipated. All of the pieces had a pair of angle cuts, the cuts had to end up oriented to each other correctly. Sometimes that meant 90 degrees to each other, sometimes it was 180 degrees to each other.

For example, the top and bottom cuts on these pieces both had to be 90 to each other (within the same piece), but then the pieces had to be mirrors of each other also. It's hard to see, but the cuts at the top of the picture aren't square to the pipe, the are 45'd towards the camera.

To accomplish this, I had to break out the angle finder and weld on a reference tab to a stick of tubing. Then cut each piece consecutively using the angle finder to rotate the tube to the right position.

Also made a quick and dirty jig to position the tubing in the center of the square brackets. 2 sticks of scrap attached at a 90. then 2 "walls" to catch the bracket:

The T shape of the jig was ripped to a certain width so that their edges would be the tubing's radius away from center.

This resulted in the tube being centered when butted up.

Back half of the right side is done. I'll duplicate this on the left side tonight.

The lower rod is much more simple with just a support going to the rear. The top rod was done that way just to match the back rod.

Also built out the linen closet (shelves), hung the living room TV, Trimmed the triple window in the living room, built some shelves in kitchen cabinets, did some misc. trim but failed to take pictures.
danieljustin06
AG
It's looking real good! Those angles aren't fun to cut while trying to keep them aligned at the same time.
Wearer of the Ring
AG
Just showed this thread to the Mrs. She pointed out that we just used agreeable grey on our "new" house. sure does look beige in spots sometimes. But she loves it.
locogringo
AG
As if these hanging rods weren't overkill enough, we couldn't just go buy the plastic mounts from the big box. I mean, I've spent this much time on them, might as well waste some more.....

Tack welded a length of strap to a scrap piece of pipe

Tapped it around with a hammer

Cut the strap off, and used a hole saw to cut a puck out of 1/4" plate

Take them together and done. The pilot hole from the hole saw worked perfect for a mounting screw

Painted everything and then hung it all back up. I like how it came out, worth the 5 hours it took to build

To add to all the fun, Cash found a rattlesnake toy

CowtownAg06
AG
Hope the pup is ok.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.