Outdoors
Sponsored by

Quit Dipping

74,670 Views | 487 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by S.A. Aggie
TX_Aggie37
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CTGilley said:

I have figured out that trying once thing at a time is important. When you Quit dipping you will likely eat more and gain some weight. Take on the dipping first the after a month or two then worry about fixing your diet.
This is absolutely true. I am 5 months into my second quit (made it a calendar year the first time). When I was dipping I would never snack on anything... I just threw in a dip. When I quit, I started snacking all the time.
EFE
AG
Quit again right after thanksgiving, really need to work on the being less fat part now.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
I quit Halloween 2018. Haven't gotten back in it at all.

To avoid snacking, I keep sugar free gum with me 24/7. Driving was my dip time so now I chew the hell out of gum and drink water constantly to keep my mouth entertained while driving. It's working for me.
Howdy Dammit
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

24 hours into quitting and the fog has started to set it. Probably didn't help that I had a celebratory final two cans last night after dinner. Have leaned on the Smokey mountain all day. That stuff is garbage, but it has definitely helped. Need to remind myself of the "one day" mentality. Cause I just keep thinking about the trip/drive/day that I'm gonna cave..... only been dipping 5 years. Can't imagine how some of y'all felt after 30 years. But I know how fast 5 years went, so I need to quit before I blink and it's been 25 years.
All the best to you on this journey,

Gotta ask. you dipped two cans after dinner last night???

Well, from the time I got off work until bed. Wife was less than pleased at the nearly full sprite bottle.
CTGilley
AG
Well one positive to being iced in. Saturday will be a week for the 5th time but the first week is always the worst...
AgTDub
AG
A week ago, the 10th, was my 1 year mark after dipping for 17 years. Pretty proud of myself since in that year I survived: a layoff, unemployment, a pandemic, beginning grad school, my mom being diagnosed with Alzheimer's at 62 and didn't crater and go buy a can.
Todd 02
AG
Whoop! Good bull!
MIAGD
AG
Congrats man. You've done better than I have. Keep it going.
El Cazador
El Cazador
Boats and Hose
AG
Hoping one of you fellas can help me out. I haven't dipped since April 2017 but the cravings have been incredibly strong over the last few weeks. I'm trying to talk myself out of it but I'm also trying to reason with myself that I can just have one when fishing or working in the garage.
Belton Ag
AG
Boats and Hose said:

Hoping one of you fellas can help me out. I haven't dipped since April 2017 but the cravings have been incredibly strong over the last few weeks. I'm trying to talk myself out of it but I'm also trying to reason with myself that I can just have one when fishing or working in the garage.
I wonder what's causing the cravings? Are you doing something specific that you associate with it?

In college I worked in a lumberyard and dipped like crazy while pulling loads and now any time I get around a forklift I think about putting a dip in.

Might just need to take a break from whatever your doing, find something else to keep your mind occupied and then go back to it later.
mhnatt
Worst thing you could do is to slip a dip in on rare occasion. Don't do it brother. I dabbled in that mentality for the last of my 20 years dipping (and now it's been 20 years since quitting cold) and it was a dumb, futile crutch. You have to use your logical frontal lobe that reasons. Stop. Now. You can thank us later when you are in your 50's and 60's loving a healthy life.

PS - I took up eating (soft ice). In my 50's with great teeth (so says the dentists) despite it.
Howdy Dammit
AG
I caved. Kinda. Started some stuff called black Buffalo. It's 100% tobacco free but has nicotine. Their wintergreen is the closest non tobacco dip I've found. If you are gonna cave, cave with something that won't give you cancer.
dubi
AG
Boats and Hose said:

Sugar free gum
Sugar free mints
Daddy-O5
AG
Boats and Hose said:

This "reasoning" is exactly what made me fail at quitting multiple times. I'm at about 1.5 years clean so far and every time I get the urge or am around someone with a can I mentally nip it in the bud. "Nope, not even one. Don't even think about it".

As someone who has "quit" so many times I lost count I wish I had a solution for you, I don't. It's hard, and it sucks. I do know that this time I've taken a really hard zero tolerance mental approach. "Not this one time, not ever again" and I'm holding on.

Hang in there. It's worth it, you know that.
S.A. Aggie
AG
While at ATM I knew a guy who did a paper on the hazards of dipping. 10 years later he died of oral cancer. Left a wife and kids. I had dipped starting in 8th grade. Dipped quite heavily until I graduated Aggiland. I quite that year on a large bet. Cold Turkey. Chewed allot of ice to get me through it. After three months the urge had let up but not gone. During the next 10 years I had an occasional huge urge to dip but fought it off. That was 37 years ago. Glad I did it. Gums never quite recovered but no severe damage. Hang in the and pray for strength!!
CrawfordAg
AG
Going in my first full month after trying to quit over the past 15 years a couple weeks at a time. After the first 2-3 days it's all mental which is the toughest to get over. I used to go into the gas station to grab beer and talk myself out of buying a can and then walking out with a can. We just welcomed our first child into this world at the end of April and I haven't had one since. Grinds coffee pouches have gotten me through the urges and now I don't really think about those unless I am drinking.
Boats and Hose
AG
Thank y'all for your posts and words of wisdom. I didn't cave but bought a can of smoky mountain herbal snuff to try to fill the void for now. It clearly wasn't the same but I think it did the trick for now.

The whole reason I quit four years ago was so that I didn't have to worry about the concerns of cancer in the future. I certainly don't want to slip back into that and have the stress in my life again. And I agree that "only once in a while" is a slippery slope.

Again, thank y'all. I'm very grateful for this thread and the support system here.
Bridge
Feel like this thread needs to be bumped after the chewing tobacco thread. I've been a long time lurker and first time poster. I quit dipping when this thread was created and proud to say I haven't looked back since. If you need that incentive, hopefully this is it.
KnuckleSandwich
AG
It's been almost 5yrs since my last pinch. Don't know why but the urge hit me this evening. Thought of this thread for some reason. Stay strong fellas.
OldArmyAggie94
AG
After reading these I am so glad this happened to me…when I was in 4th or 5th grade I grabbed some quarters, jumped on my bike and rode to 7-eleven. I threw my money on the counter and asked for a can of Copenhagen. Guy behind the counter put the money in the register and handed me a can. I put that can in my pocket and rode home fast, like I was a man. When I got home I was walking around thinking where am I gonna put this dip in, my parents were home. So I went next door to the basketball court. Got there, heart beating I open up that can, can still smell it. Put a big dip in that front lip…look around and think what the heck am I suppose to do now..I start to buzz a little..keep looking around see the ball so I start dribbling, then start doing layups…running hard taking pull up shots…do that for about 5mins the buzz turns to nausea…I throw up all over the lawn, spit that dip out, throw the can away and never touch the stuff again, ever. I am sorry y'all are struggling, keep working at it.
CTGilley
AG
I am glad this popped up. I fell off the wagon. I am trying to kick it again. It is harder this time. I am having my second kid in a month. I plan to stay clean after that.

Those wondering, all night drive for an elk hunt broke me.

I know "just be a man."
Hehateme1
CTGilley said:

I am glad this popped up. I fell off the wagon. I am trying to kick it again. It is harder this time. I am having my second kid in a month. I plan to stay clean after that.

Those wondering, all night drive for an elk hunt broke me.

I know "just be a man."
It is hard, incredibly hard to quit. or at least it was for me. You can do it !!
txrancher69
AG
I dipped for 22 years but didn't start until mid 30's. While sitting slack in the roping arena everyone was always passing a can of cope around and I tried it one day. Instant love. Quit cold turkey on a one and a half can a day habit when one of my daughters asked me too so I could see her son, who had just been born, graduate from college. That was 18 years ago with no relapse.

Here is the science of why it's so damn hard to quit cope. At the congressional tobacco hearings 10 years or so ago, the CEO of company making cope was asked why it it so addictive. He explained that nicotine is THE most addictive substance known. Studies have shown rats will die of starvation when given given free choice of nicotine or food. To make it more available to suckers who buy cope they start with a special tobacco plant having the highest level of nicotine. Then they change the pH in processing to make it more readily absorbed by the body. Next they add silica to microscopically cut your mouth tissue and get the nicotine directly into your blood fast. He said in the first 30 seconds of putting cope "between your cheek and gum" your body will get the equivalent nicotine hit of 4 cigarettes.

So good luck to all, it's damn hard to quit but it can be done. Persevere.
So three conspiracy theorists walk into a bar.................You can't convince me that's a coincidence.
13B
I quit cold turkey (after 12 years of dipping), I gave my word and so I did.
Wanted it every day for almost 15 years until it finally started loosening its hold on me. Even after that I would have dreams that I relapsed.
Every time I think I wanted it, I just told myself that I would never let anything have that kind of hold on me again. It would just make me mad that I wanted a dip instead of yearning for it.

Good luck to all struggling. It is a difficult task. But like I keep seeing on here...man up, don't let it win!
RK
AG
Quote:

I just told myself that I would never let anything have that kind of hold on me
you've worked to hard to call your life your own.
Shoefly!
AG
I was doing 3 cans of skoal per day! I started getting the white precancerous lesions about the same time the 13 year old died in OK after lopping off his lower jaw. That and a new baby boy was enough for me to try. It's a helluva an addiction! Good luck to everyone trying!
Shoefly!
AG
txrancher69 said:

I dipped for 22 years but didn't start until mid 30's. While sitting slack in the roping arena everyone was always passing a can of cope around and I tried it one day. Instant love. Quit cold turkey on a one and a half can a day habit when one of my daughters asked me too so I could see her son, who had just been born, graduate from college. That was 18 years ago with no relapse.

Here is the science of why it's so damn hard to quit cope. At the congressional tobacco hearings 10 years or so ago, the CEO of company making cope was asked why it it so addictive. He explained that nicotine is THE most addictive substance known. Studies have shown rats will die of starvation when given given free choice of nicotine or food. To make it more available to suckers who buy cope they start with a special tobacco plant having the highest level of nicotine. Then they change the pH in processing to make it more readily absorbed by the body. Next they add silica to microscopically cut your mouth tissue and get the nicotine directly into your blood fast. He said in the first 30 seconds of putting cope "between your cheek and gum" your body will get the equivalent nicotine hit of 4 cigarettes.

So good luck to all, it's damn hard to quit but it can be done. Persevere.

Damn, now I know why I always had to drop a duece the first dip of the day! And that's a No $#!+!
GinMan
AG
Greeze06 said:

You just have to stop being a ***** and not do it.

I also stopped after seeing on my Apple Watch what Copenhagen does to your heart rate.
I can take it or leave it these days. It got to the point I was wasting a can because I wouldn't finish it completely so I just quit buying.
Mondemonium
nicotine gum.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
My dad is a periodontist. If you need help, I am sure I can get you some nasty pictures of periodontal disease or cancer from dipping.
S.A. Aggie
AG
I quite by chewing ice. Bad on your teeth but it wasn't cancer forming.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.