Outdoors
Sponsored by

Quit Dipping

74,459 Views | 487 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by S.A. Aggie
CTGilley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am trying (again) and I am feening like hell at the moment. It honestly it just got too damn expensive. I can do a lot with an extra $200+ a month.

I got the flu right after Christmas and didn't dip for three days so I figured it was a good start. The second week is way harder than the first. I have tried several time but either work or Aggie football stresses me out and I am back at it. I have been to the gym and range and I am still ready to break something.

If anyone else is working on this misery loves company.

Any tips are appreciated.

I know, I know, suck it up and just do it.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
For me it was sunflower seeds. Week two and beyond was really tough. After a month or so it was only really hard when driving on long trips, when drinking, or when hunting.

Good luck man! Best thing I ever quit.
tmaggies
AG
Had brain surgery two plus years ago and had my last dip before being wheeled in. I think the morphin the next couple of days helped. Good luck!!!
Woods Ag
AG
Did it a few years ago. Nothing helps, really, except some advice after several failed attempts. As an adult and a man, if you decide you want to do something, and give in because "it's too hard" then you have more serious problems than dip.

There's a lot of tough **** in the world. Quitting dip isn't one of them..

I don't know if that's helpful to anyone else. Maybe it's too harsh, but it worked for me.
BCO07
AG
Consider talking to your doc about wellbutrin.
OldCamp
Smokey Mountain at HEB worked for me.
I was shocked at how realistic it was.
stroodles
AG
Gum for me. I just bought several of the large containers and kept them around.

I'd love to have a dip right now... it a hard process. also stay busy to keep your mind from dwelling on the issue.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
From the people I know, it seems that it's harder to quit dipping than smoking. Why is that?

I dipped a bit in college but only occasionally. I just didn't care for the taste. Now, Levi Garrett is another story but it's never been a habit, it's a couple times a year thing.
Woods Ag
AG
its a circumstance addiction.

I still want a dip about every day. Especially long drives, drinking, and hunting
Bert315
AG
Sunflower seeds and grinds.

https://www.getgrinds.com/collections/flavors
BCO07
AG
For both dipping and smoking there's 2 components. First is the chemical addiction, which is overcome in a week or so. The psychological addiction is the one that drags on and pulls people back in after long periods without
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I think it's the duration of the dip vs a cigarette. Additionally, certain situations become engrained with having a dip and are triggers. Smoking, from observation, appears to be more just a nicotine craving thing.

When you dip it's also a constant thing in your mouth your holding and that's why the sunflower seeds helped me.
Greeze06
AG
You just have to stop being a ***** and not do it.
texrover91
AG
During after a big sick has always helped me quit

Never stuck tho

Fasting helps too - probably the best method; went almost two years with the fasting.

Then the came out with Cope Pouches - way too easy to be sneaky - bastages
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Greeze06 said:

You just have to stop being a ***** and not do it.

I think you just really have to want to quit and a reason to do so to keep you motivated.

I quit once for a year just because and started for no reason again. When my oldest was born I had my last dip in the hospital and have not had one since. I'm not dipping because of my kids which is why I think It stuck.
BCO07
AG
I guess that's one way. The evidence based way is a med and support group (ie killthecan.org)
stroodles
AG
Bert315 said:

They need to make a Copenhagen flavor and I'm in.
EFE
AG
Back on the pain train, a week in and I'm ok as long as I nurse coffee until noon.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Sunflower seeds. Have had a few friends quit and that's what it took. Plus they got me stuck on the seeds now
NW80
AG
Just to give you a little solace, most people get past the physiological addiction to nicotine in the first 48 hrs.
It's the psychological addiction you're dealing with now....
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yeah I gained about 10lbs in the first month after quitting. Partially because of the sunflower seeds and partially because I would want to dip and go snack.

I remember reading that your brain will sometimes confuse nicotine cravings with hunger when you're withdrawing... not sure if that was the case but I snacked like a mofo.
CTGilley
AG
stroodles said:

Bert315 said:

They need to make a Copenhagen flavor and I'm in.
I know! If I dipped that straight crap it would be easy to find a substituted. Like cupcakes or raisins. Started cope when I was 16 and everything else was junk. Hell if it was the same price it was then I wouldn't be worried about it.
n_touch
Using Grinds to help with quitting. Black coffee, just ordered 10 cans last night.
The Anchor
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

For me it was sunflower seeds. Week two and beyond was really tough. After a month or so it was only really hard when driving on long trips, when drinking, or when hunting.

Good luck man! Best thing I ever quit.

Sunflower seeds helped me too. Just know it's going to be a long ride. I haven't dipped since July 2007 and I still have cravings. Especially during baseball season when I see it so much.
Billy Foster
AG
That's 30 cans a month, impressive.
Tumble Weed
Smoke a cigar. They taste better and you will forget about the Copenhagen.
SharkinAg
AG
I actually used nicotine gum after several failed attempts. The gum gave me awful headaches. I quit finally. But I wont lie, I started up for about six months a few years later due to hanging around with some buddies that dip and finals. Sunflower seeds keep me honest these days. Keep at it
CTGilley
AG
Probably closer to 40...
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
After 43 yrs
Probably 40 without missing a day

Quit for good on November 2017 after 10 yrs of failed attempts

For me, I had to do patches AND the 4mg gum for first month. Then just gum.
Then a couple weeks later changed to 2mg gum

I still have some gum every day but maybe just 2-3 pieces a day now.

Won't bother me if I keep leaning on the gum for a while. The other benefits are so great

YMMV. No two addicts are the same. I went for the "overkill"
Dude. Just quit. It's not heroine. It's not meth. Just quit.

Discipline. This is your new best friend. It's crap. You know it's crap. It's hard. But it's not impossible
Nobody cares. Work Harder
strohag
AG
One of my customers just battled mouth and throats cancer. He had to have a feeding tube put in and learn to swallow again. He was miserable. If you love to eat you never want to have radiation on your mouth and throat.
STL_aTm
AG
Kind of strange how it worked for me... I dipped non stop for 10 Years. Was 1-1.5 cans a day everyday. No matter what.

My gums always hurt but one weekend thry hurt exceptionally bad. Ended up thinking "this ain't normal or good."
Went cold turkey for about 8 months and now 2 Years later I'll buy a can every time I golf ( at most twice a month) and take 1 MAYBE 2 dips all round and throw the rest away. That is literally the only time I crave it or even think about it is when I'm on a golf course.
Very strange, but it works for me.
Good luck!
ursusguy
AG
Get a buddy to sneak in a little dried cow or deer sh-- into your can. Have him mention it after about the third pinch. The true addict will notice something ain't right, but initially won't care.....until it sinks in.

I may or may not have gotten an attempted attempted a-- beating over this treatment plan.
JYDog90
AG
I had my last dip a little over 18 yrs ago and I still dream of dipping once every couple of months.

I make a decision not to dip practically every day.

What got me through it was:

"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man and God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." -1 Corinthians 10:13

So...
-if I'm being tempted, I must be able to withstand it because God wouldn't let me be in a situation that I couldn't.
-he's providing a way out of the temptation, I just need to be on the watch for it.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Secolobo
AG
An Aggie buddy of mine quit 10 years ago. Went to the dentist and they noticed something and sent him to a doc. Diagnosed with mouth cancer. After numerous surgeries I had lunch with him and he tried to eat enchiladas only able to open his jaw 1". He said his therapy was they'd take a plastic wedge and hammer it between his teeth to tear the scar tissue so his jaw would open. Lost 70 lbs. Died 3 months later and never said a word it was terminal.

Want to add that he told me that if I, or anyone I knew, ever had any cancer issues just go straight to MD Anderson. Don't mess with anybody else first. Still makes me wonder what happened...
Can I go to sleep Looch?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.