Outdoors
Sponsored by

Quit Dipping

74,617 Views | 487 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by S.A. Aggie
Hehateme1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BenFiasco14 said:

Reporting live from Day 5. Yesterday was horrendous. Was basically in a fog the entire day except for the two hours I was at the gym. I am shocked I didn't cave. Hope today isn't as bad.
It gets better, buddy. You got this. Awesome job on the self control yesterday, BTW.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
FNMikey said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Reporting live from Day 5. Yesterday was horrendous. Was basically in a fog the entire day except for the two hours I was at the gym. I am shocked I didn't cave. Hope today isn't as bad.
It gets better, buddy. You got this. Awesome job on the self control yesterday, BTW.
FNMikey speaks the truth. Hang in there and take one day at a time. Hell, take one hour or one minute at a time if that's what you need to..
BenFiasco14
AG
I caved. I won't get into the details why because it's all excuses anyways. 4 and 1/2 days was all I could take. Better luck next time, I guess. Sorry to let those down that were following and encouraging.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
BlueSmoke
MIL going through stage 4 lung cancer (smoker). Watched them help her change this big, nasty port in her side and taken her to/from chemo and immunotherapy (sp?).

Just quit. Just f****ng quit. Just do it. Figure it out. And do it.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
Born Maroon
AG
Quit last Memorial Day - (2018) I was just ready to quit after 31 years.
It's been a tough year but the last thing on my mind is Copenhagen.

This is a cliche but it's an idea that helped me a lot.
YOU ONLY HAVE TO GET THROUGH TODAY.
Don't worry about that fishing trip next week with your buddy who still dips or the boring movie you are seeing on Friday or the long drive coming up.
YOU ONLY HAVE TO GET THROUGH TODAY.

It worked for me. You can certainly do it.
Hehateme1
BenFiasco14 said:

I caved. I won't get into the details why because it's all excuses anyways. 4 and 1/2 days was all I could take. Better luck next time, I guess. Sorry to let those down that were following and encouraging.
No prob, took me several tries to quit. Don't beat yourself up. You have to do it for you. When the time is right just know there will be folks on your side.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Use EVERY TOOL AVAILABLE

Gum. Patches. Buddy Network. Pictures of victims of cancer. Anything that will help.
Hehateme1
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

Use EVERY TOOL AVAILABLE

Gum. Patches. Buddy Network. Pictures of victims of cancer. Anything that will help.
Everybody's road is different. Folks that tried to show me cancer pictures turned me off. I quit a dentist because of it when I was dipping.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
FNMikey said:

SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

Use EVERY TOOL AVAILABLE

Everybody's road is different. Folks that tried to show me cancer pictures turned me off. I quit a dentist because of it when I was dipping.

Once again, this guy knows what he's talking about.
KnuckleSandwich
AG
Just passed 1 year without a pinch of skoal. I could eat a whole can tomorrow.

Skoal, you are the devil.
schmellba99
AG
Today marks my 7 year anniversary.
JAG03
AG
July will be 9 years since I had a dip and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't want a dip. I haven't had a drink of alcohol in 3 months and if I had the choice right now between snuff or alcohol I would pick snuff every time. Tobacco is a *****.
schmellba99
AG
Goes to show that everybody really does handle it different. Zero desire for a dip. None. Hell, I can smoke a pipe on occasion without any residual need or want for tobacco. Drinking doesn't bring it out in me either. So glad for that as well.
Seriously77
4 yrs n Sept.

Think about it ever so often but not for long.

Cancelled
AG
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

Use EVERY TOOL AVAILABLE

I'm not sure I could use another person's suffering and disfigurement as a motivation. Plus, I believe negative reinforcement doesn't work. A person can always find an excuse or rationalization to overcome a negative. Positive is so much better. I like to think of the good health I will enjoy, a potentially better life, money saved, etc.
CTGilley
AG
queso1 said:

SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

Use EVERY TOOL AVAILABLE

I'm not sure I could use another person's suffering and disfigurement as a motivation. Plus, I believe negative reinforcement doesn't work. A person can always find an excuse or rationalization to overcome a negative. Positive is so much better. I like to think of the good health I will enjoy, a potentially better life, money saved, etc.
Good for you. For me, Negative reinforcement is what works. I eat crappy, I feel crappy. I touch the eclectic fence it shocks the **** out of me and I don't do it again.

I take that back. Any the quickest feed back works best. Positive or negative. I have an addictive personality. I had one can and I fell off the wagon for 3 months. The fact that I cant just have one also keeps me from socially smoking. Next is drinking for the same reason. I don't do it often but if I get a strong buzz, I am going to keep drinking to the point of excess, sleep late and not do the things I want to the next day.

Everyone is different. My best friend has none of those issues.
Fishing Fools
Quit May 18, 2007. Cold turkey and just said eff it don't want it anymore.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/03EkZaqEtqMnKmp-3F9c3hvdg
Cancelled
AG
I am extremely prone to addiction. That's one big reason I never used any drugs other than alcohol and nicotine. My wife could smoke a pack over a weekend in college and then not smoke for months with no problem. Not me, I was a fiend.

That said, alcohol and nicotine are proven powerfully addictive substances. I never drank more than the rest, but I knew it wasn't sometime that was good for me and it wasn't doing me any favors.

I've come to believe that alcohol addiction is a progression: the only difference between the bum and the "functioning" alcoholic is time, intake and perhaps some external factor (death of a loved one, job los, etc).

I think you may be right that a mix of positive and negative works best. All negative though would be the worst and most susceptible to excuses. I think all positive would work. The other big thing is to surround yourself with family and friends.
planoaggie123
AG
Ok so i just went and got gas the other day and i was looking at the counter...successfully fought the urge to buy a can of dip (usually don't go in for this reason)...however...i saw Redman and Levi on the bottom shelf and noticed the price....$11/$12 each pouch. WOW. When did that happen? What is causing that? My grandpa used chewing tobacco but I never really enjoyed it. The few times I had it in college....i dont feel like i paid more than a couple bucks extra beyond a can of dip or am i just mis-remembering?
Betoisafurry
It's taxed by weight now, that's why it's so expensive compared to a can.
FSGuide
I've been off Copenhagen for 11 years now, give or take a month or two. I've had one dip in that entire time. After being off of it for a few years that 1 dip tasted like dog*****
BenFiasco14
AG
I wanted to bump this thread to let y'all know today is officially a month TOBACCO FREE.... did it this time.

I'll admit I have had to use the nicotine gum, but I don't even care at this point. I'm down to 3-4 sticks of gum per day, and a $40 carton of this stuff from Amazon has lasted me a month at this point and plenty left. versus ~$10 a day for two cans of longcut that was killing me financially and literally.

So if you consider that cheating... okay. That's fine with me, I'd rather cheat and use some harmless gum than keep dipping.

But for those reading and need help like I did, the gum is great. I don't know how helpful it would be for smokers (which it was designed for) but it's great for dipping, because you get nicotine in the same way as dip, on your gums.

Anyways, just wanted to pop in and give an update. I will eventually ween completely off of the gum too but I'm not worried.

By the way, I mentioned in my OP on this stuff about how I had extreme gator lip in my cheek, it was gray in color, the dentist told me that is where the cancer would start, etc...

Well, it's gone now. The inside of my cheek is pink and healthy again.

TLDR: One month tobacco free, mouth has healed, nicotine gum is awesome.
Boats and Hose
AG
First off, congrats. Glad you decided to step back up and give it another go. I will say you're getting through the hardest part right now. Keep weening yourself off and you'll eventually be out of the mental fog.

I would be lying if I said you'll never have anymore cravings. I still get them and haven't touched the stuff in a couple of years. Some others on here have mentioned having dreams where you have one so expect that to happen. It happened to me and I woke up in a frenzy thinking I had given in.

The thing that helped me was not wanting to start over each time. I took it a day at a time and told myself I wanted quit for a day. That day turned into a week, then a month. Before I knew it, I hadn't had it in 3 months and kind of viewed it as beating a PR as in challenging myself to see how long I could go without it, and I never looked back.

Keep it up. This group is a great support system. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need a hand.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG

Way to go Ben. You're on the right tract, keep going.
elfurioso92
AG
I'm four months tobacco free after numerous attempts to quit over the last year or so. Not sure why I've been able to stick with it this time, I think I just got tired of starting over. To everyone still struggling with it hang in there and good luck.

Hehateme1
Proud of you guys, .....

It's a beeyotch, I know.
jrrhouston98
AG
I dipped Copenhagen for 25 years. Wife asked me to quit before our son was born. Quit on New Years Eve 2014 cold turkey. Had a monster in and at the stroke of midnight, spit it out and got rid of everything.

Went hunting in January this year, caved and bought some for the weekend. Kept at it regularly. Stupid. Well, 3 weeks ago I had a stroke. Now I have a forced lifestyle change and it definitely does not include Copenhagen. No cravings, just like last time. And I certainly will not be tempted to take any on my next hunting trip. Funny how things work out sometimes.
BenFiasco14
AG
Over two months tobacco free now and am officially certified as a non-tobacco user on my health insurance. Guess there's no going back now.
Hehateme1
BenFiasco14 said:

Over two months tobacco free now and am officially certified as a non-tobacco user on my health insurance. Guess there's no going back now.
Congratulations, Ben !!
BenFiasco14
AG
Just checking in, as it's been awhile now. I gotta admit I don't know how long it's been exactly, but my last dip was some time in April, so about six months now.

I am proud of myself and often wonder why I did it for so long (seven years). There are times I want one really bad, but I'm at the point where it goes away.

I still fear for my health, a bit, even though the inside of my mouth is completely pink and looks healthy now. Just saw the dentist a few weeks ago, clean bill of health as of now (except for a cavity... which I will be taking care of next week).

Definitely done with this 100%. My only fear is that it was too late. Hopefully not.

Anyone reading this, you can do it. Use the nicotine gum if you have to.
Baseball-Junkie
How did you dip two cans a day? I dip a can of Copenhagen every three days, and I know it's finer than your longcut, but two cans a day is still extreme.

I have buddies that when we're on the baseball field, golf course, etc. will hit me up for a dip -- take half my can and spit it out twenty minutes later -- and they're bumming again. I guess I can see it if everyone dips like this, but I thought more people would be like me. I keep a modest dip in for three to four hours at a time and will add a little on occasion.

The fog of quitting is real. I've quit for five or so days, but couldn't get any work done and decided work was more important. I quit again when I had the flu and that abstinence lasted for over a month. I just missed it when I was playing golf, cutting the grass, etc. and I told myself you only live once -- why not enjoy what you enjoy? That's no disrespect to anybody who has chosen to quit.
BlueSmoke
11 years as of this March. It's neither easy, nor impossible. Discipline matter when motivation fades.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
carl spacklers hat
One week into it, again, after multiple failed attempts that lasted up to a month.

Going with the lozenge to wean myself off. Tried the nicotine gum but just couldn't stick with it. So far, the lozenges are working.
BenFiasco14
AG
Keep it up! I liked the gum because I could chew it and then stick it in the area I used to put my dip. Do whatever works man. It's so worth it.
saltydog13
AG
Good job. I think just regular gum was what helped me. I must've chewed a pack of gum a day in the beginning.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.