Outdoors
Sponsored by

Quit Dipping

74,612 Views | 487 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by S.A. Aggie
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Keep it up man, you are almost through the hardest part now. Stay strong!
carl spacklers hat
Three weeks today
CTGilley
AG
A pinch sure would be nice this week.
BurnetAggie99
Got a big Hog in of Cope right now and it's glorious
CTGilley
AG
I can't believe it is ~$7 a can now.
GarryowenAg
AG
Quitting sucks. Quit around 2009 with the occasional relapse. It's tough.
Old Sarge
AG
I have posted this a few times.

Quitting is absolutely admirable and the best way.

However, if you are going to chew, do it moderately.

Associate it with something that triggers it, and reduce the triggers. Today's time with the virus stuff should not be a trigger, but a way to reduce those. Just reduce your every day stuff, that triggers your impulse to chew.

I have stayed on my track, thankfully. Nothing changes. Daylight, no chew. Lunch, no chew,,etc. After dinner. chew or three. Nothing before dinner.

After many years of associating chew with an after dinner thing, it is sticking. Now, if my son is playing baseball on his travel team it is a different story. But now with the Covid, there is not that. I have about three cans in the fridge. Those should last me at least a couple months, if not more, hopfully.

NMCowman
It is tough. I stared in grade school and quit 20 plus years ago. Mint snuff helped me.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I've gone cold turkey for 4 days after 12 years and I need to ween, I am ****ing useless all ****ing day if I'm not drinking coffee constantly, constant fog, everything is muted. I was half a can at most a day of pouches but I'm just ****ing worthless right now.
JYDog90
AG
You can do this. I did it 20 years ago.

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man, and God is faithful, he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. And when you are tempted he will provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

I also found that if you just buy a pack of nicorette, you can can chew it a bit, stick it inside your cheek and it'll knock the edge off.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Daddy-O5
AG
Went cold turkey using an multi week overseas trip as a springboard about 15 months ago. Tried the same tactic several times over my career, this time it stuck. It's extremely freeing not to devote so much time and money to your next can, spit cup, fighting the heartburn and brushing teeth constantly (at least for me).

I was off and on for over a decade. Hang in there, it's all worth it in the end.
CTGilley
AG
I fell off the wagon. It sucks for about a week. I always got Flu like sick after about a week if I didn't use patches. At about 2 weeks the fog is gone.
SharkinAg
AG
I quit back in July cold turkey. I drink a **** ton of Diet Coke now. Drank lots before but it almost doubled but I figure I'll work on that at some point too. Good luck.
Edit to add 15 years of Copenhagen straight long cut. Miss it almost every day.
nactownag
AG
Quit on 7/29/16. Cold Turkey. Coming up on 5 years without. I was a daily user for about 13 years.
TX AG 88
AG
I think I might take up dipping when I think i've got <5 years or so left... I've had the occasional dip (usually Copenhagen) and man, does it give me a headrush!!! Especially if I'm drinking (which is usually when I've done it.)
CTGilley
AG
That does not last past the 2nd can.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
My buddy I play golf with always bums a pinch or pouch a two during a round, then goes about his life without dipping. No idea how he does it when most of the rest of us are either all in or all out
Daddy-O5
AG
No idea how guys do that. I've often thought of just one more at certain times, but know what road that leads down.
carl spacklers hat
So my last post on this thread was 10/11/19, second post on this page. Still haven't had a dip since quitting September 2019, and I won't have another. It was a B I T C H quitting, had tried and failed several times, until I started using Nicorette lozenges. Life-changing. I'm off the lozenges, too, and happily tobacco free. If I feel the urge, I just need to think back to how bad my gums looked when I stopped, how they were receding around the teeth and not a healthy color. Good luck, and for those of you struggling, keep fighting the urge!
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Quit October 2017 after my own cancer scare and a friend lost part of his tongue and cheek.

I was in my 40th year of dipping and chewing. Can or pouch/day. I didn't hardly have any friends that didn't use. Now, I only have 2 that still do.

To get started, I used the heavy duty patches and the gum. Both. Simultaneously. After about 6-7 weeks I realized that my patch had fallen off at some point during the day so I quit that part.

Some 5-6 weeks after that, I was down to just a couple gums a day and didn't even notice that I went a weekend without any gum. I still have the last two sheets of gum sitting in my pencil holder on my desk. Three years later.

My advice is to pick a date in the future. Like 3-5 days out. Make the night before that your quitting ceremony. Have that last big dip and then flush the rest. Before bed put a patch on and have your gum ready to go in the morning. Start with one as soon as you wake. Stay ahead of the urge, don't treat from behind. Start with the heavy duty patches and gum. You're gonna feel a TREMENDOUS change after 72 hrs but maintain the regimen.

Thirteen folks in my immediate circle quit after 25+ years. All within 6 mos of October 2017. ZERO FAILED using this method.
AG
Quit cold turkey Nov 2019 after 30 yrs of a can a day.

The same day my brother in law who dipped 40yrs at a can a day was diagnosed with tongue cancer. He has subsequently had a brutal battle that involves feeding tube, tracheotomy, radiation, chemo and very difficult circumstances. When the cancer is in base of tongue they often have to feed you through a tube in stomach and trach you because of esophagus and larynx being cut off from tumor size.

Use this as motivation guys. Do it for your families and yourselves.

Prayers appreciated for BIL.
Boats and Hose
AG
I quit on 4/23/17. Coming up on 4 years. It sucked for the first week or so but the urges subsided after that. I viewed it as a day challenge. At first I was dip free for 5 days, then 10 days, etc. I ended up buying a can after not having one for about 3 weeks. I opened it up, smelled it (and it smelled great lol), but realized I didn't want to have to start my dip-free day count over again, and threw the can away and never looked back. This was what worked for me and thought I'd share. YMMV.

Keep it up, guys. Y'all can do this.
Howdy Dammit
AG
This weekend is the weekend I seriously start my journey. Think I will be ok day to day, but am very nervous for the long drives, hunting trips, and the stressful days after dinner. Not so much the addition to nicotine that I will miss, but having something to look forward to everyday is truly something I have enjoyed over the years. Hopefully will be able to find something else to fill that. Wish me luck.
txislandag86
Howdy Dammit said:

This weekend is the weekend I seriously start my journey. Think I will be ok day to day, but am very nervous for the long drives, hunting trips, and the stressful days after dinner. Not so much the addition to nicotine that I will miss, but having something to look forward to everyday is truly something I have enjoyed over the years. Hopefully will be able to find something else to fill that. Wish me luck.
Quit 11/28/18 after after 25 yrs of being a slave to the can. KillTheCan.org was/is a big help to me. Don't delay throw the can away today!
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

Only think about one minute, one hour, one day at a time. One step. Then a second step. Then a 100 yards. Then a mile. Use all the tools at your disposal
AG
Was able to quit about 4 years ago cold turkey after about 7 yrs of dipping. I would work late so many nights in my office because that was my place to dip (wife didn't want it anywhere else in the house). I'm not sure I even had a nicotine addiction as much as loving the flavor and having that burning sensation and pressure on the gums.

One day, with a child on the way, I just decided to buy Smokey Mountain and use it. Same burn and pressure on the gums, close enough flavor. That kept me going until one day I just got tired of the Smokey mountain and stopped altogether. I have had the urge, but always just a passing thought. Glad that's behind me now.
Shoefly!
AG
CTGilley said:

I can't believe it is ~$7 a can now.

I quit when it was .49c/can. At the time I was dipping 3 cans a day. That was 34 years ago. I use to Jones for a dip too. But after a while, when someone would open a can in a vehicle or room , it would darn near make me puke. I guess that was a good thing. But when my Dentist showed me on my gums of the white precancerous spots and then I saw the 60 minutes program of the kid from OK that died from gum cancer, that was it for me.
Cancelled
AG
I quit drinking in 2018...right after New Years. What piece of cake. I can't remember my quit date for tobacco, but it was so hard. Now? Now I'm a guy that doesn't drink, smoke tobacco or dip.
Wodanaz
AG
Same. I like me better now.
Howdy Dammit
AG
24 hours into quitting and the fog has started to set it. Probably didn't help that I had a celebratory final two cans last night after dinner. Have leaned on the Smokey mountain all day. That stuff is garbage, but it has definitely helped. Need to remind myself of the "one day" mentality. Cause I just keep thinking about the trip/drive/day that I'm gonna cave..... only been dipping 5 years. Can't imagine how some of y'all felt after 30 years. But I know how fast 5 years went, so I need to quit before I blink and it's been 25 years.
AggieIce
AG
Dipped nearly 20 years, and coming up on my on year quit date. Did the fake stuff for yard work, driving, etc. for a few months.

Still find myself missing it, not the feeling but rather just having something to do (orally) that keeps my subconscious focused in a way.

If you're anything like me find other things to get addicted to.
txislandag86
Skittles helped me get thru the first couple of weeks.
CTGilley
AG
I have figured out that trying once thing at a time is important. When you Quit dipping you will likely eat more and gain some weight. Take on the dipping first the after a month or two then worry about fixing your diet.
lb sand
AG
I never dipped snuff, but was a long time cigarette smoker. I quit 7 years ago.
I found these helped me alot. https://www.nicorette.com/products/nicorette-lozenge.html

Anytime I got a craving, I popped one of these in. They last a good while and helped me thru the first few weeks.
hillcountryag86
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

24 hours into quitting and the fog has started to set it. Probably didn't help that I had a celebratory final two cans last night after dinner. Have leaned on the Smokey mountain all day. That stuff is garbage, but it has definitely helped. Need to remind myself of the "one day" mentality. Cause I just keep thinking about the trip/drive/day that I'm gonna cave..... only been dipping 5 years. Can't imagine how some of y'all felt after 30 years. But I know how fast 5 years went, so I need to quit before I blink and it's been 25 years.
All the best to you on this journey,

Gotta ask. you dipped two cans after dinner last night???

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.