Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

229,613 Views | 1427 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by CharlieBrown17
texagdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for the pic help Dubi!
texagdoc
AG
aggieforester05 said:

850? Do want!
Piper JetProp
Is an amazing plane and way cheaper to operate than the TBM.
aggieforester05
AG
texagdoc said:

aggieforester05 said:

850? Do want!
Piper JetProp
Nice, looks a lot like the TBM. A friend of mine has a PC-12 and it's an awesome plane to fly on as well. Love those single engine turbo props!
average_joker
AG
That's a great plane! Did you have the Jetprop conversion done? Or buy it that way?
CanyonAg77
AG
dubi said:

texagdoc said:

Since you want more pics, here is a sweet shot of my current ride!

Not seeing photo
texagdoc
AG
Bought it post-conversion. I flew the piston version prior (which was a great plane itself), but the turbine is a whole new level of performance. Am actually overhauling another JetProp now (with new panel, interior and Aggie colors ). Should be finished around March. The current one is for sale if anyone is interested....
texagdoc
AG
aggieforester05 said:

texagdoc said:

aggieforester05 said:

850? Do want!
Piper JetProp
Nice, looks a lot like the TBM. A friend of mine has a PC-12 and it's an awesome plane to fly on as well. Love those single engine turbo props!
I have a friend looking at PC-12s now. That thing will haul a ton and meets my wife's criteria for a really nice plane ("does it have a potty"). A little out of my league right now.
CharlieBrown17
AG
ISO PC-12 right seat ride

Always liked them, it's like a family model t-6. I think FBO guys liked to park us together if they could.

And inb4 Canyon, I know I can fly one if I get U-28s
falcon09
AG
CB17, you get to do so much more than just fly in the right seat of a PC-12 if you go U-28s. They've got lots of radios, sensor balls and other goodies to play with.
CanyonAg77
AG
Isn't the U-28 also the one where special ops guys get in the back, tell you to take off, and they'll let you know your destination once you're in the air?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah got to play with some of that during our last AFSOC petting zoo day here
woods&water
AG
Congrats!!! started my flight training myself and I'm loving it.
average_joker
AG
woods&water said:

Congrats!!! started my flight training myself and I'm loving it.

Where are you training?
BwdAg
AG
Planning to start training in BCS. Any recommendations for flight schools in the area? Thanks.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'd assume there are places that operate out of easterwood and coulter. I'd lean towards someone at easterwood unless there's a much better reviewed/recommended guy at coulter.

While it's important to also learn non towered air field stuff, getting used to ATC early is a benefit in my opinion.
dubi
AG
BwdAg said:

Planning to start training in BCS. Any recommendations for flight schools in the area? Thanks.
Brazos Valley Flight Servives at Easterwood Astin.
src94
AG
You might also look in to the Texas Flying Club at Coulter, however their mission is more geared towards current pilots.They do have several CFIs.
src94
Oryx

Finally got this thing on the pad unassisted. Started working steep approaches, max performance takeoffs, and quick stops too.
aggieforester05
AG
I really want to take a helo lesson, looks like a lot of fun!
Oryx
aggieforester05 said:

Helos are an absolute blast but expensive to build hours in (only have 9.1 currently), and can only do a lesson a week.

AOPA financing and block payments is the way to go I've heard.
CaptnCarl
AG
Sometimes people get hung up on "where did you do your training?"

It's like asking someone that exercises what gym they go to. It really doesn't matter. What matters is that you go start somewhere. Find the closest airport, and almost guaranteed someone there can instruct you.

After you begin, you may find something that works better for your situation, but starting is a big milestone.
TXAG14
average_joker
AG
TXAG14 said:

That's a Dash8. Have a couple thousand hours in those. It should land fine without that wheel, but really makes you wonder what else is loose!
CharlieBrown17
AG
Put the drag in the middle and you'll be fine either way
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

really makes you wonder what else is loose!
Notice the sparks and fire in the hub? Wheel bearing went out.
PA24
AG
Bearing grease was on fire........ lock nut was still on the shaft.

Center of Hub may have gave way due to corrosion......I have seen a main brake disk on a single do that before (corrosion).

CanyonAg77
AG
I still say simple wheel bearing failure. All the little rollers in the bearing fall out, wheel falls off. Take it from a farmer who has chased escaping wheels, and replaced, repacked, and greased more wheel bearings than most of you have seen boobies.
PA24
AG
...I agree with u. I change out and pack bearings on airplanes about twice a month.

Been married to the same ol gal for 42 yrs, haven't touched too many tits before we got married. I was kinda clumsy.
Oryx
Not me, but my flight school posted this and it's really cool to see what Robinsons can be used for and are capable of.

https://instagr.am/p/B7EL_FSJdEY
aggieforester05
AG
Oryx said:

aggieforester05 said:

Helos are an absolute blast but expensive to build hours in (only have 9.1 currently), and can only do a lesson a week.

Where I live/work there is an oversupply of fixed wing instructors and lots of available planes, but zero helo training available. I know a couple of guys that have private helos, but they're not instructors or interested in doing so. I might have to make the trip to Dallas to do a discovery flight soon, but getting a license isn't really an option for me right now.
Oryx
aggieforester05 said:

Oryx said:

aggieforester05 said:

Where I live/work there is an oversupply of fixed wing instructors and lots of available planes, but zero helo training available. I know a couple of guys that have private helos, but they're not instructors or interested in doing so. I might have to make the trip to Dallas to do a discovery flight soon, but getting a license isn't really an option for me right now.
Yea, the amounts of Robinson/300C schools can be a bit underwhelming. Although I think if you have a fixed wing rating, your hours requirement for a rotary license is a bit lower. Still kinda sucks, because the CFIs say there's a huge rotary driver shortage on the civilian side, and military pilots getting out want that sweet airline job with advancement instead of the rather limited rotary job.
src94
AG
So where would the closest rotary instruction be to College Station?
src94
Oryx
src94 said:

So where would the closest rotary instruction be to College Station?
Veracity has a location in Pearland, other than that I would imagine Houston.
average_joker
AG
There's a reason why the rotary pool is drying up. The cost of civilian training isn't commensurate with the earnings potential of the jobs available. With the fixed wing pilot pool being stretched thin on the regional side of the commercial market, companies like mine are paying full tuition for military and civilian helo folks to get their fixed wing ATP's to come fly airliners.
I fly with a lot of ex-medivac, gulf shuttle, and military guys and gals.
aggieforester05
AG
Those guys still have to live like paupers for a long time once they get hired on as a regional ATP don't they? Seems like it's taking the market a long time to adjust to the supply shortage based on crappy low level airline salary.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.