Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

197,975 Views | 1390 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by CharlieBrown17
SabineAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got my first solo in today after only 7 hours of prior flight time. I'm totally hooked, great feeling taking off by your first time and even better landing!

Anyone else on the OB fly? Would love to hear some of y'alls experiences! (p.s. big factor in doing this is being able to get to the ranch faster)
CenterHillAg
AG
Congrats! I've been flying for 5 years now, soloed at 7 hours as well. I've started crop dusting this season and will be doing it full time next year. Got any plans to buy a plane soon? I'd be glad to throw in my 2 cents.
CanyonAg77
AG
Congrats! Been inactive for several years, but still love to follow the hobby.
junior200414
AG
Congrats! Got my ticket a couple years ago, but haven't flown in a year since we had our first kid. Coming up on my flight review though, so I need to get back up and shake the rust off.

Advice, fly often, at least twice a week. Take advantage of having an instructor now, i.e. practice those cross winds even the harder ones, turning stalls, approaches if they'll let you (even if your VFR), find a remote airport to practice the "turn-back" so you know if it'll work (with the instructor present of course). Fly into Bravo at some point to see what the radio chatter is like. Watch lots of MzeroA on YouTube. And lastly, enjoy those solo cross countries! Go someplace that you wanna see, not just the minimum to meet the reqs.

Edit: Oh, and also, join and read pilots of America forum.
SabineAg
AG
Not quite at the plane buying stand yet, maybe one day! I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts though
SabineAg
AG
Thanks for the advice! I've been trying to fly as often as I can weather permitting, these summer rains are knocking out half the week... My goal is to get 3 hours per week and knock it out, that way I take the leash steps back after every lesson. (Haven't quite achieved that yet though) My instructor definitely makes it tough. We've done some good cross wind work, that's definitely tricky
45-70Ag
AG
Wife's uncle has a small prop plane he flies about every time he goes out of town

Went up in it one time. Never again, I was puckered up for days. I admire guys who can do that but jumping out of planes in the army was less scary than that.
TRIPLE 7
AG
YES! Forty years & approx. 20,000 hours! Became hooked in 1963 at EASTERWOOD Airport while in the ROTC flight indoctrination program.

So, now, you're hooked! Love every minute of it! Good luck & fly safe!!

Cheers!
CharlieBrown17
AG
TRIPLE 7 said:

YES! Forty years & approx. 20,000 hours! Became hooked in 1963 at EASTERWOOD Airport while in the ROTC flight indoctrination program.

So, now, you're hooked! Love every minute of it! Good luck & fly safe!!

Cheers!

That's a ton of hours.

What all have you put a good amount of time in?
TRIPLE 7
AG
USAF Jet trainers
Almost all American Airlines airplanes!
Blessed career!
AlexAggie
AG
Got mine 4-5 years ago, got a Cherokee 3 years ago...having a ball! Congrats! 7 hours is a quick solo!
Aggie1944s Kid
AG
Left the Airlines about 9 years ago. About 12,000 hrs TT. Typed in the 737,747,A319/320, and EMB 170/190. Miss the flying. Don't miss doing it for a living.
SabineAg
AG
Really like the Cherokee, I'd like to get myself one someday!
WP69
AG
As you approach 200 hours, stop and remind yourself that you don't know everything about flying.
dtkprowler
AG
TRIPLE 7 said:

USAF Jet trainers
Almost all American Airlines airplanes!
Blessed career!
Username checks out!
IDAGG
AG
PalomaPachanga said:

Thanks for the advice! I've been trying to fly as often as I can weather permitting, these summer rains are knocking out half the week... My goal is to get 3 hours per week and knock it out, that way I take the leash steps back after every lesson. (Haven't quite achieved that yet though) My instructor definitely makes it tough. We've done some good cross wind work, that's definitely tricky
That is the way to do it. I powered through it one summer at Easterwood and got my license with 43 hours, just over the minimum required 40. But I flew at least three times a week. If you fly once every week or two, you will spend too much time relearning and wind up spending way more hours and dollars to get your license. Keep it up!
CenterHillAg
AG
Adding on to all the good advice above, try and get a taildragger endorsement at some point, you'll learn more about controlling the plane in those few hours than your entire time in a tricycle. Stick and Rudder by Wolfgang Langewiesche Is an excellent book to read, it will help sharpen your skills of mastering flying. Use flight following on cross countries, the controllers are very accommodating and you'll feel more confident using the radio. I spent a two year period flying my Cub with just earplugs in, took a while after that to get used to talking.

As far as buying a plane, take an honest assessment of what you'll be doing with the plane. I know too many people who bought 6 seater, twin engine, etc. thinking they would load their buddies up and head to deer camp or whatever, only to never make that trip and the plane sits idle most of the year. If six of you don't load up in a Suburban and head somewhere regularly, more than likely you won't do the same in a plane. If you're flying to your ranch and landing on a strip there, you're gonna want something that is tough yet still has decent cruising speed. My search led me to buying a '56 Cessna 182, which I love. It'll get in and out of the strip my Dad and I built on our ranch, and still has the speed to make it from Wharton County to Memphis in 3.5 hours.
PorkEatingCrusader
CIME Here Congrats!
agwrangler2001
AG
Congrats!
I miss flying, been thinking about getting back into it. Brother and I have tossed around the idea of buying something, but the costs can be pretty discouraging.
CaptnCarl
AG
Congrats on your first solo! Took me about five years to finish my private, so don't give up. Stick with it! PM me if you have any questions. Always looking to meet younger pilots.
CaptnCarl
AG
Also, I second most of what has been said here. Make a priority to fly as much as possible. I finally told myself I wouldn't pick up a golf club until I finished my private. If you can take two lessons a week, you'll finish pretty quick.

The ground school was the hardest part for me. Don't be afraid to schedule plenty of ground school. It's cheaper to learn some things on the ground than in the air.

Don't get pushed around by instructors. They can play games with your money if you let them. Be sure ask them after each leasson what exactly is the goal for the next lesson, otherwise they'll take you for a joyride. If you haven't seen a syllabus, that's a red flag.
sjislepilot
AG
Got my license at 17 over the course of 2 months. Did ground school on my own the year before I started and passed the test before getting in the airplane. Worked great for me.

Been flying for the last 10 years and love it. Looking to get my tail wheel endorsement in B/CS soon if I can find someone to instruct.

Congratulations!
AV8ORAG84
AG
Only "job" inhave had after A&M. Marines flying a harrier and American Airlines. Enjoy !
BoerneGator
AG
Congrats PP! You'll never regret the opportunities presented.

I soloed 41 years ago, and haven't flown in a long while, but am gonna be in the market for a Super Cub, or similar type early next year to buy/use in the Alaska bush. Anyone with tips on a good buy, please give me a heads up.
aggieaviator
AG
Congrats. Not many people can say they have piloted a plane solo.
I solo'd in 2004, certificate in '05. I still have my solo shirt framed and hung in my office.
Advice?? Go up at least 2x a week with your instructor, 3x if you have the time between lessons to study.
Airplanes fly in weather so it's never too early to start studying up on that topic.
Join AOPA and EAA, they have lots of good resources and community message boards.

Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.
SabineAg
AG
Thanks for the advice! I believe I found a solid instructor, let's me know what to prepare for between each lesson and challenges me to accomplish what he knows I can. I've been studying/Doug ground school in my own so I can get the most out of each lesson. Definitely not much fooling around
SabineAg
AG
I appreciate your comments/advice, like I said earlier, my goal is 2 times a week 3 if I can get it. However, between 7 days a week working and seemingly having storms every Wednesday-Friday day up here, that's been tough. (In Ohio, building a pipeline) Im really hoping to finish by November so fingers crossed
nickrr96
AG
Got my PPL two summers ago at Easterwood. I try to fly a few times a month during the semester and I'm also looking at a tailwheel endorsement. Congrats on the solo! Where/who are you training with?
SabineAg
AG
Working in Ohio. Sunlander Aviation - Jason Life
CaptnCarl
AG
That's great! Just keep it up, especially if you have a good instructor. I did the King School for preparing for my written exam. Not the cheapest, but it helped organize the studying part. You probably already have the foreflight app, but if you don't, I highly recommend downloading a subscription.

As far as battling the weather, welcome to general aviation. That doesn't stop even after you get your license.
JimmyHouston
AG
Bought a Citabria 7KCAB and learned flying stick and rudder. Had a family and now upsized to a 182M.

Love flying the family around Texas but miss the tail wheel. You learn so much more. Best advice I can give is get a lot of time behind anything that flies - I got way too comfortable in the Citabria & for a while had no desire to move to a more complex aircraft.

Good luck - it's a lot of fun but can be addictive!
Aggie1944s Kid
AG
CaptnCarl said:

King School

Martha King BLAH
CaptnCarl
AG
Baha yeah I'm not endorsing the King videos. They need some serious updating, but then again, so does the FAA exam.
SabineAg
AG
Learning behind a 172 right now, I'd like to fly a tail dragger at some point, and would hope to move into a dual prop at some point
BoerneGator
AG
What was the market (price) on the Citabria when you owned it? Flew one back in the day, and may again.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.