Outdoors
Sponsored by

2017 Hurricane Season

663,019 Views | 3704 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Swarely
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Swarely said:

So, if it stops raining Wednesday- what's the time frame for the water to go back down? I guess I'm asking when people will be able to go back home. I have family and friends from all over Houston that are stuck outside town.

Great question, that I'm not sure that anyone can answer right now. The more it rains, the longer it's going to take.
07fta07
AG
Swarely said:

So, if it stops raining Wednesday- what's the time frame for the water to go back down? I guess I'm asking when people will be able to go back home. I have family and friends from all over Houston that are stuck outside town.

Depends where you are. A couple days to 3 months.
45-70Ag
AG
The entire Texas national guard has been activated. Roughly 12,000 troops not on a combat rotation.
cbr
AG
I am trapped in our bugout ranch (not ours, a friend that had a guest house and barn for the horses. We are incredibly lucky to both have friends like that and to have called them so early to get not only first dibs but also get In before the creek blocked it). Should be safe but who the hell knows with this disaster. The creek is over the bridge. 1093, 10, 1489, all have deep water over as well, and the brazos river isn't even over bank yet. This is all just rain.

We could not save all the cows and can't get back to do anything, even turn off the generator. It's going to run through 750 gallons of propane until it water locks or the house burns.

Many of our friends are now having to evacuate their bugout spots and some are trapped in them like us. Still raining sideways. This is unreal.

Good luck everyone.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Irish_Man said:

The entire Texas national guard has been activated. Roughly 12,000 troops not on a combat rotation.
Wow
TommyGun
AG
About 30 Louisiana Game Wardens and other members of the Cajun Navy just showed up in Baytown about an hour ago to help with evacuations. My childhood neighborhood of Pinehurst is almost completely under water and efforts are largely being concentrated there to get those folks out. Friend of mine posted a video with the whole line of trucks heading in with various airboats and surface drives in tow. Lot's of good folks have lost a lot in this storm but there is also a lot good folks responding. I'm hoping the roads are passable by Friday so I can get down and help out with the clean-up efforts.
mazzag
AG
TWC is saying it could make a 3rd landfall? Has it made the 2nd one yet?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Irish_Man said:

How to know that things have gone from bad to full **** storm, exhibit a^.
Jackie Daytona
AG
The first landfall was the Yucatan Peninsula

mazzag
AG
Ahh. Ok. Makes sense. They didn't specifically say US landfall.
carpe vinum
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Irish_Man said:

They are going to have to search 100,000s of homes door to door.
https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
jabberwalkie09
AG
carpe vinum said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Irish_Man said:

They are going to have to search 100,000s of homes door to door.

Definitely, it's going to take weeks. Those USCG helicopters will be useful because iirc they have FLIR on the HH-60's.
NAP Violator
GunRangeGal said:

My friend lives in Midtown and just realized she needs groceries, but can't get anywhere/stores are closed. I'm shocked at how many people still don't understand the scope of this.
Yep. The grocery store thing is going to start becoming a huge issue for many shortly. If the rain keeps up and the flooding does not recede and the city remains crippled, food will start to become an issue for many people.

This is an unprecedented weather event that has no parallel in modern American history except for Katrina but then that occurred in mostly static conditions where the flooding was not from rain.

It's looking more and more like the metro area is going to remain completely crippled until Thursday at least and likely partially crippled for weeks afterwards.
Neches21

Quote:

My childhood neighborhood of Pinehurst is almost completely under water
I grew up there as well.
The front of the neighborhood is dry for now.
The houses in the back by the bayou are not so lucky.
I've been following the Facebook group and the neighborhood seems to be taking care of their own pretty well.
TommyGun
AG
Neches21 said:

Quote:

My childhood neighborhood of Pinehurst is almost completely under water
I grew up there as well.
The front of the neighborhood is dry for now.
The houses in the back by the bayou are not so lucky.
I've been following the Facebook group and the neighborhood seems to be taking care of their own pretty well.

Yeah my buddy lives on Forest Hollow and he has 3' of water in his house.
fightingfarmer09
cbr said:

I am trapped in our bugout ranch (not ours, a friend that had a guest house and barn for the horses. We are incredibly lucky to both have friends like that and to have called them so early to get not only first dibs but also get In before the creek blocked it). Should be safe but who the hell knows with this disaster. The creek is over the bridge. 1093, 10, 1489, all have deep water over as well, and the brazos river isn't even over bank yet. This is all just rain.

We could not save all the cows and can't get back to do anything, even turn off the generator. It's going to run through 750 gallons of propane until it water locks or the house burns.

Many of our friends are now having to evacuate their bugout spots and some are trapped in them like us. Still raining sideways. This is unreal.

Good luck everyone.

1458 is under now too. We are at 3' in the pasture now. Hard current. Dad is staging neighbors equipment at the old farm house since we will be the highest ground.

You hang tight and let us know if we can help get a hold of anyone. Save the phone battery, sadly you may need it.

ThatOneAg
TommyGun said:

About 30 Louisiana Game Wardens and other members of the Cajun Navy just showed up in Baytown about an hour ago to help with evacuations. My childhood neighborhood of Pinehurst is almost completely under water and efforts are largely being concentrated there to get those folks out. Friend of mine posted a video with the whole line of trucks heading in with various airboats and surface drives in tow. Lot's of good folks have lost a lot in this storm but there is also a lot good folks responding. I'm hoping the roads are passable by Friday so I can get down and help out with the clean-up efforts.
If you want to help with rescue efforts, request assistance from them or just listen in, download the Zello app and search for The Cajun Navy (Texas Navy has a channel as well as a few others). This is one tool they are using to communicate and dispatch.

https://zello.com/
Premium
AG
How accurate are these Drive Texas maps? I'm trying to scope out a path from Galveston to Port Aransas and some of these back roads seem passable.
RustyBV
AG
I'd use a combo of drivetexas.org, transtar, google maps and waze for driving.
lead
Simply unimaginable what's happening all over the Texas coast.
carpe vinum
AG
The USAF needs do drop a nuke in this thing if it fires up.

oragator
Not to get all wonky, but when they form that far out the likelihood of it turning north before the islands goes up substantially.
Oogway
True, but Carpe has been within a decent range on storm prediction lately.

Guess it comes down to the wind direction and shear?
carpe vinum
AG
I don't predict. Just report what I see from actual metx folks.
The nuke is my suggested solution though.
Breggy Popup
AG
carpe vinum said:

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/C5c.html
Oogway
Nuking seems a bit drastic at this point. However, a bucket brigade stretched across Texas to the west where the dry spots are would give all of us a way to help Houston and the surrounding areas....
carpe vinum
AG
dlance said:

carpe vinum said:

Even if it doesn't work I might feel better.
Breggy Popup
AG
Oogway said:

Nuking seems a bit drastic at this point. However, a bucket brigade stretched across Texas to the west where the dry spots are would give all of us a way to help Houston and the surrounding areas....

Read the link I posted. Hurricanes release the energy of a 10 megaton nuke every 20 minutes. A nuke would be a gnat fart to a hurricane.
carpe vinum
AG
T. Boone has been trying to buy water for years.
Reverse all those pipeline pumps around there and ship it all to him.
AgEng06
AG
dlance said:

carpe vinum said:

I love that this is in the FAQs on the NOAA website.
Breggy Popup
AG
carpe vinum said:

dlance said:

carpe vinum said:

Even if it doesn't work I might feel better.

In a Lt Dan kind of way?

Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
Oogway said:

This should have all the stars!
Oogway
I did, but radioactive fallout is drastic to me, regardless of whether it deters hurricanes!
MouthBQ98
AG
You need help getting out? Surely someone in the general area can get a boat in there using roads as guides.
fightingfarmer09
MouthBQ98 said:

You need help getting out? Surely someone in the general area can get a boat in there using roads as guides.

The farm is on high ground so we have plenty of access. And looks like my dad will stay with the cows.

We are fine for now in Nada. If we need to get out we will take the tractor out and ride to town with our neighbors on the other side of the creek.
First Page Last Page
Page 85 of 106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.