Outdoors
Sponsored by

2017 Hurricane Season

665,266 Views | 3704 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Swarely
Thriller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My aunt and uncle ended up staying (near Brays Bayou, across side street fro Braeburn CC). They had 3ft yesterday in their house. It has steadily receded and is mostly out of the house now. I'm asking her to stay vigilant and cautious.

Their neighbors, with small kids were evacuated by helicopter overnight.
fightingfarmer09
carpe vinum said:

Dutcher Creek said:

carpe vinum said:

Anyone familiar with Garwood?
A friend recently moved there, so unfamiliar with the flood history.
They are pretty close to the Colorado in town.
They are on the high side, but is that high enough?

The river will eventually get out. If they are on the high side, it probably won't be bad. Garwood has a weird mixture of black land soil and clay-bottomed soil. The clay makes for slow/no drain in the area. FM 950 between garwood and eagle lake is already closed. That's where the river backs up first.
Thank you

Most of Garwood is on the HWY71 side (high side). This will primarily be threatened by Mustang creek on the other side of 71.

They are in high ground for now and Columbus is only higher.
aggiespartan
AG
AggieChemist said:

Hard to watch this from 1000+ miles away. I don't often tell people that I'm praying for them, because I'm usually not. I'm a big believer that most of the stuff people ask for prayers for is stuff they are equipped to handle themselves.

But I am honestly praying for all of y'all in the middle of this one.
Here too. We've decided to make our A&M club game watch party a fundraiser. Hopefully everyone comes together and we can make a hefty donation to the red cross.
GunRangeGal
AG
My friend lives in Midtown and just realized she needs groceries, but can't get anywhere/stores are closed. I'm shocked at how many people still don't understand the scope of this.
99_Brock_Ag
AG
Seven and Ol Sarge -
What does the city of Victoria as a whole look like? I grew up around there and currently I'm a claims adjuster on standby for deployment.
AgLA06
AG
COMMENTS REMOVED - STAFF
cbr
AG
I have a little public service announcement. I mentioned that I had two neighbors that lost vision in three eyes between them from the flood remediation last year and infections. I have not had time to verify this but I trust the source (his wife): one is in the hospital now and his wife says the doctors are now saying his infection is from a tick!? He is blind in both eyes right now and they are talking about spinal taps.

I will try to update with more/better information and this sounds ridiculous, but my point in posting incomplete information is simply this:

flood remediation is the nastiest, slimiest work you will ever see, full of hidden holes and broken boards,nails, sharp corners, heat, and bugs.

Tips I learned last year are:

always zip lock bag your phone and wallet. And key fobs.

Never wipe your eyes or face with muck-covered anything. You will be sweating profusely and it will be tempting to wipe your eyes clear all the time. Keep fresh bottled water and use it not only for drinking but also washing your face and any cuts or scrapes. Keep hydrogen peroxide and Neosporin or equivalent with you at all times and use it on any wounds that break the skin.

Use lots of bug spray. 'Swampgnat ' works better than 'off' in our area as the gnats are even worse than mosquitos. I never though about ticks until hearing about Ralf now.

Biting insects have been biting dying, soaked, skin rotted infected animals for a long time at this point. This isn't a convenience item.

I always keep a real first aid kit in the truck and went into it a couple of times last year.

Wear good quality muck boots with tall socks (over your ankles or they will blister badly). Take extra socks, as after the second day of sweat soaked feet you will start to blister and I can see how the stories of soldiers and foot rot happens quickly.

Get lots of thick work gloves and rotate them often. If you can find surgical gloves use them inside the thick ones. They all get so slimy so quickly sometimes it feels good to swap out.

Fishing shirts and cargo pants are stylish.

(Seriously though, if you are in a remote area you want most of this stuff ON YOU, and the pockets are critical).

I also keep a gun (air weight .38, none of the pocket autos will work in this soaked, muddy environment). l once saw looters coming up to our area in a boat from the river side...but really the gun is more for freaked out critters - when raccoons attack!

I also keep a knife on me at all times. You will find more uses than you can imagine. One with a fishing line catch is good as I used that cutter a lot.

You will also find things you want to keep, so again, pockets = good).

Finally, cotton undies...no bueno. Wear the slick workout jobs or your parts will punish you.

Good luck out there.

Good news for most is the rain water floods have much less muck. River water is just slimy as hell.

JobSecurity
AG
Inlaws on the carnival Cruise headed back to NOLA for more supplies. They're hearing they may not be back to Galveston until Friday or Saturday - a whole week late

Our neighbor also said water made it up to our garage but couldn't tell if it made it inside. Hoping we're going to get lucky
trip
AG
thanks. That is a lot of valuable info.
The Wonderer
AG
AgLA06 said:

How does one "just realize" they need groceries.

How does she survive the average day?

Tale out. Seriously.

*I'm a lawyer, but not your lawyer. This is not legal advice and an attorney-client relationship does not exist between you and me*
GarlandAg2012
AG
Not many restaurants are open I don't think. At least not along Washington. Maybe Midtown is a little better off.
The Wonderer
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Not many restaurants are open I don't think. At least not along Washington. Maybe Midtown is a little better off.

I meant people don't have groceries because they rely on take out in their everyday lives.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Gotcha.
GunRangeGal
AG
Not sure... I've already lectured her about it. I think a few stores opened up. What terrifies me is that she's not the only one in this situation. People in the "dry" areas still think their lives are going to be normal these next few day. They don't seem to realize that stores can't restock because they can't get trucks there!!
07fta07
AG
Days? Try weeks and months. Some people just don't get it.
aggiehawg
AG
GunRangeGal said:

Not sure... I've already lectured her about it. I think a few stores opened up. What terrifies me is that she's not the only one in this situation. People in the "dry" areas still think their lives are going to be normal these next few day. They don't seem to realize that stores can't restock because they can't get trucks there!!
Kind of ironic that we make fun of people for hoarding before a disaster and then make fun of people who didn't prepare enough.

I always keep powdered milk in my freezer, for instance. The Hubs thinks I'm crazy yet he keeps those apocalyptic freeze dried food storage bins they sell on prepper shows.

I know it's not funny during a crisis, but it kind of is funny how people view things.
ItsA&InotA&M
Spoke to my brother in law last night. No electricity in Edna and surrounding areas. Everything is dark. He expects it to be restored in 2 to 3 weeks. He works for Jackson Electric (they don't supply Edna) and says additional out of town crews are coming in and they are working fast and furious to get their customers back on line. The nearest place to get gasoline would be Praseks. No bueno.
AgLA06
AG
The pathetic part is she's not the outlier.

Hell the Houston board had an entire thread of idiots chastising people for rushing to get prepared when this storm blew up in 36 hours.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are the same idiots looking to blame anyone else over force majeure because they live in a house in the flood plane.

God, I hate most people my age.
skinny2001
AG
Relax guys

It won't be months before groceries stores are stocked. There's 6 or 7 grocery stores within a mile of midtown and one of them was open yesterday.

But she might be eating ketchup sandwiches for a day or so
oragator
Almost 40 inches now...

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/nfdscc1.html
Charlie Delta
Some friends of mine in Sugarland woke up to water flooding the first floor of their home this morning. They have two babies. They had to evacuate to a neighbor's house further up the street. Does anyone have more information on flooding in Sugarland? Was it caused by a dam release?
mazzag
AG
skinny2001 said:

Relax guys

It won't be months before groceries stores are stocked. There's 6 or 7 grocery stores within a mile of midtown and one of them was open yesterday.

But she might be eating ketchup sandwiches for a day or so

I live in belton. We've taken in evacuees from Brazoria. We are out of milk at all grocery stores. Supply chains are disrupted.
AgLA06
AG
Charlie Delta said:

Some friends of mine in Sugarland woke up to water flooding the first floor of their home this morning They have two babies. They had to evacuate to a neighbor's house further up the street. Does anyone have more information on flooding in Sugarland? Was it caused by a dam release?

NO NEED TO ATTACK THE POSTER - STAFF
DriftwoodAg
AG
Charlie Delta said:

Some friends of mine in Sugarland woke up to water flooding the first floor of their home this morning. They have two babies. They had to evacuate to a neighbor's house further up the street. Does anyone have more information on flooding in Sugarland? Was it caused by a dam release?
It depends on where they are. My BIL is in Sugar Land and the water from the Brazos is supposed to crest the levee behind his house
Bird Poo
AG
AgLA06 said:

Charlie Delta said:

Some friends of mine in Sugarland woke up to water flooding the first floor of their home this morning They have two babies. They had to evacuate to a neighbor's house further up the street. Does anyone have more information on flooding in Sugarland? Was it caused by a dam release?

How many press conferences did they have to explain how the release would work? Do you even know where Sugarland is compared to the reservoirs?!?
Relax. Everyone is on edge and stressed. No need to be a dick.
NotGibbs
I got a text from a friend saying that the city of Houston will most likely be shutting off water this afternoon/evening. Don't know how credible this is. Anyone heard or seen any similar info?
07fta07
AG
NotGibbs said:

I got a text from a friend saying that the city of Houston will most likely be shutting off water this afternoon/evening. Don't know how credible this is. Anyone heard or seen any similar info?

Lots of rumors floating around the last few days, most inaccurate. Wait until you hear it from officials.
ghollow
AG
cbr said:

I have a little public service announcement. I mentioned that I had two neighbors that lost vision in three eyes between them from the flood remediation last year and infections. I have not had time to verify this but I trust the source (his wife): one is in the hospital now and his wife says the doctors are now saying his infection is from a tick!? He is blind in both eyes right now and they are talking about spinal taps.

I will try to update with more/better information and this sounds ridiculous, but my point in posting incomplete information is simply this:

flood remediation is the nastiest, slimiest work you will ever see, full of hidden holes and broken boards,nails, sharp corners, heat, and bugs.

Tips I learned last year are:

always zip lock bag your phone and wallet. And key fobs.

Never wipe your eyes or face with muck-covered anything. You will be sweating profusely and it will be tempting to wipe your eyes clear all the time. Keep fresh bottled water and use it not only for drinking but also washing your face and any cuts or scrapes. Keep hydrogen peroxide and Neosporin or equivalent with you at all times and use it on any wounds that break the skin.

Use lots of bug spray. 'Swampgnat ' works better than 'off' in our area as the gnats are even worse than mosquitos. I never though about ticks until hearing about Ralf now.

Biting insects have been biting dying, soaked, skin rotted infected animals for a long time at this point. This isn't a convenience item.

I always keep a real first aid kit in the truck and went into it a couple of times last year.

Wear good quality muck boots with tall socks (over your ankles or they will blister badly). Take extra socks, as after the second day of sweat soaked feet you will start to blister and I can see how the stories of soldiers and foot rot happens quickly.

Get lots of thick work gloves and rotate them often. If you can find surgical gloves use them inside the thick ones. They all get so slimy so quickly sometimes it feels good to swap out.

Fishing shirts and cargo pants are stylish.

(Seriously though, if you are in a remote area you want most of this stuff ON YOU, and the pockets are critical).

I also keep a gun (air weight .38, none of the pocket autos will work in this soaked, muddy environment). l once saw looters coming up to our area in a boat from the river side...but really the gun is more for freaked out critters - when raccoons attack!

I also keep a knife on me at all times. You will find more uses than you can imagine. One with a fishing line catch is good as I used that cutter a lot.

You will also find things you want to keep, so again, pockets = good).

Finally, cotton undies...no bueno. Wear the slick workout jobs or your parts will punish you.

Good luck out there.

Good news for most is the rain water floods have much less muck. River water is just slimy as hell.

This may have been mentioned already but make sure your tetanus shot is up to date
Charlie Delta
AgLA06 said:

Charlie Delta said:

COMMENTS REMOVED - STAFF

carpe vinum
AG
https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
AgLA06
AG

COMMENTS REMOVED - STAFF
Thriller
AG
I'm sure most are reading this thread for information and not snark or self-righteous judgement.
AggieArcher17
AG
By the time you typed up your rant you could have just as easily given him the information that you obviously know. Be an Aggie.
Swarely
So, if it stops raining Wednesday- what's the time frame for the water to go back down? I guess I'm asking when people will be able to go back home. I have family and friends from all over Houston that are stuck outside town.
Maverick06
AG
Anyone in the Richmond area with a boat? Got a message on Facebook just now a family with children needs
help.
First Page Last Page
Page 84 of 106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.