Outdoors
Sponsored by

2017 Hurricane Season

665,248 Views | 3704 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Swarely
BoerneGator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mazzag said:

TWC is saying it could make a 3rd landfall? Has it made the 2nd one yet?
Technically, when it crossed San Jose Island before it reached Rockport was first landfall I believe. Then after crossing Copano Bay, it made third landfall, all as a Cat 4 hurricane.
Bunk Moreland
BoerneGator said:

mazzag said:

Technically, when it crossed San Jose Island before it reached Rockport was first landfall I believe. Then after crossing Copano Bay, it made third landfall, all as a Cat 4 hurricane.

Pretty sure landfall #1 was the Yucatan, #2 was the US, and #3 would be if it went off shore and re hit it.
TheVarian
AG
Does multiple landfalls mean anything? I don't know much about TS and hurricanes
Ag83
AG
dlance said:

carpe vinum said:

I don't predict. Just report what I see from actual metx folks.
The nuke is my suggested solution though.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/C5c.html
Nitpicker. I still like the nuke idea.
cbr
AG
Good luck fighting farmer. I should have come and said hi long ago, and here we are again. Stay dry. Once I can get out of our bugout I plan to try to get back in on a boat.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I saw where the mandatory evacuation of Dickinson has been ordered. I have family that still doesn't want to leave. They 20+ inches of water come in and tthen leave in the last 24 hours.
Ag In Ok
AG
Is it officially back in the gulf?
FTAG 2000
AG
Nothing special about the multiple landfalls, they're just trying to add to the "historic" nature of the event.
cityagboy
AG
AG 2000' said:

Nothing special about the multiple landfalls, they're just trying to add to the "historic" nature of the event.
It can gain strength over water, so if it leaves and comes back it will dump more rain. Ideally you want it to stay on land and die.
BoerneGator
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

BoerneGator said:

mazzag said:

Pretty sure landfall #1 was the Yucatan, #2 was the US, and #3 would be if it went off shore and re hit it.
It was not a hurricane at that point in time.
The Wonderer
AG
So? Does it's status as a TS negate it's first landfall?
Ag83
AG
Was it even a named storm as it crossed the Yucatan? I was thinking it had degenerated to a tropical wave at that point and was no longer named but can't remember for sure. Maybe even if it wasn't, the fact that it was named before and after that point makes it count. Not all that relevant in the long haul anyway.
Mathguy64
AG
It was Harvey before it hit Yucatn.
FTAG 2000
AG
cityagboy said:

AG 2000' said:

It can gain strength over water, so if it leaves and comes back it will dump more rain. Ideally you want it to stay on land and die.

True, but that doesn't have anything to do with what they are talking about. It's just sensationalism (holy crap, this thing's hitting land for a third time!).

It's stupid and pointless and doesn't really matter with respect to what's going on.

BoerneGator
AG
AG 2000' said:

Who are "they're" in your post, and how is it you know "their" intent, beyond the obvious?

Speaking just for myself, I was merely pointing out the uniqueness of the geography and topography that Harvey chose to come ashore here in Texas. Rockport was only the first town Harvey hit; not the first land.

Now, that said, why are you concerning yourself with such trivia anyway? What exactly is your motivation, pray tell?
Brush Country
Still no power at home or office. No damage to home in Portland but the damage to trees, fences, etc is 100%. Staying at the ranch until the power comes back.

I've driven about 20 hrs in 4 days, all of it with 2 weiner dogs in the back seat. Spent 5 hrs today cleaning up debris and unboarding. I'm about as tired as a boy can be.

Gonna get a shower and a beer or ten cuz tomorrow is back to work sunup til sundown for the foreseeable future (fence company owner).
Swarely
FTAG 2000
AG
BoerneGator said:

AG 2000' said:

Who are "they're" in your post, and how is it you know "their" intent, beyond the obvious?

Speaking just for myself, I was merely pointing out the uniqueness of the geography and topography that Harvey chose to come ashore here in Texas. Rockport was only the first town Harvey hit; not the first land.

Now, that said, why are you concerning yourself with such trivia anyway? What exactly is your motivation, pray tell?

I've heard the Weather Channel start talking about it.

They are sensationalists, and this kind of trivial observation is irrelevant to the situation.

It annoys me because they have that history of overhyping things, and act like they are all-knowing and define everything about weather.

Outside of them (or other national media) doing it, I'd have no idea what anyone else's motivations are.
carpe vinum
AG
Hard to believe we started talking about Harvey on about page 8-9.
https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
carpe vinum
AG
https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
rather be fishing
AG
GunRangeGal said:

My friend lives in Midtown and just realized she needs groceries, but can't get anywhere/stores are closed. I'm shocked at how many people still don't understand the scope of this.

Per naked and afraid, she should be able to survive 21 days without food.
jabberwalkie09
AG
rather be fishing said:

GunRangeGal said:

My friend lives in Midtown and just realized she needs groceries, but can't get anywhere/stores are closed. I'm shocked at how many people still don't understand the scope of this.

Per naked and afraid, she should be able to survive 21 days without food.

Hope she has water and power, otherwise hope she can make a fire to boil some water.
TommyGun
AG
Apparently looters tried to overtake a boat from the Cajun Navy according to their facebook page. Shots were fired but everyone is ok.
Ignatius_of_Silesia
Looks like the car jackers are being squeezed right now due to the lack of people on the roads and are having to resort to boat jacking.
BoerneGator
AG
TommyGun said:

Apparently looters tried to overtake a boat from the Cajun Navy according to their facebook page. Shots were fired but everyone is ok.
Sorry to hear (that everyone is ok). Need to be better shots!
ellebee
TommyGun said:

Where is this?
TommyGun
AG
I believe it was around Greenspoint. Not too much surprise there I guess.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TommyGun said:

Heard this on the app not long ago. Said it was Greenspoint.
ellebee
TommyGun said:

Ah ok figures. Wanted to make sure it wasn't Dickinson.
Swarely
350 gators about to be able to escape Gator Country in Beaumont.

Quote:

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Texas Gator Country has more than 350 alligators just on the outside part of its facility on FM 365 in Beaumont.

There's even more on the inside.

But it's flooding extensively.

ADVERTISING

KFDM/Fox 4 reporter James Ware was at Gator Country on Monday morning.

Owner Gary Saurage told him that more than a foot of water was inside parts of the building.

In 12 years at the FM 365 locations, Saurage has never seen flooding like this.

"We're less than a foot a foot from (water) going over the fences," Saurage said. "All of these are certified, high fences, but when it won't quit, it won't quit. We've worked around the clock and I don't know what else to do. We're truly tired. Everybody's at the end of it, man. We don't know what to do.

"I've never seen (the water) stay anywhere near this before. The staying power of this storm is just unbelievable."

The largest alligators - Big Al and Big Tex - are in trailers.

But the gators in the fenced areas could come over the top of the fences if the water gets high enough, as Saurage was mentioning earlier.

He says the crocodiles, venomous snakes and other dangerous creatures were captured and away at high enough ground to not be at risk of escaping.

"Everything that is not from here, we've put up and we have in a safe place, but we live with alligators," Saurage said.

Saurage expressed frustration that much of what he's worked for, catching alligators and other creatures to add to his farm, is gone with three days of flooding.

The gift shop, which was recently added, has at least a foot and a half in the building.

There's more rain in the foreceast, which Southeast Texas can't really afford.

Hardin and Jefferson counties' emergency management officials have been conducting rescues in parts of Bevil Oaks, Cooks Lake Road, Pinewood and Fannett among other areas.

Sean98
AG
Except it was probably the bad guys shooting
Premium
AG
Swarely said:

350 gators about to be able to escape Gator Country in Beaumont.

Quote:

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Texas Gator Country has more than 350 alligators just on the outside part of its facility on FM 365 in Beaumont.

There's even more on the inside.

But it's flooding extensively.

ADVERTISING

KFDM/Fox 4 reporter James Ware was at Gator Country on Monday morning.

Owner Gary Saurage told him that more than a foot of water was inside parts of the building.

In 12 years at the FM 365 locations, Saurage has never seen flooding like this.

"We're less than a foot a foot from (water) going over the fences," Saurage said. "All of these are certified, high fences, but when it won't quit, it won't quit. We've worked around the clock and I don't know what else to do. We're truly tired. Everybody's at the end of it, man. We don't know what to do.

"I've never seen (the water) stay anywhere near this before. The staying power of this storm is just unbelievable."

The largest alligators - Big Al and Big Tex - are in trailers.

But the gators in the fenced areas could come over the top of the fences if the water gets high enough, as Saurage was mentioning earlier.

He says the crocodiles, venomous snakes and other dangerous creatures were captured and away at high enough ground to not be at risk of escaping.

"Everything that is not from here, we've put up and we have in a safe place, but we live with alligators," Saurage said.

Saurage expressed frustration that much of what he's worked for, catching alligators and other creatures to add to his farm, is gone with three days of flooding.

The gift shop, which was recently added, has at least a foot and a half in the building.

There's more rain in the foreceast, which Southeast Texas can't really afford.

Hardin and Jefferson counties' emergency management officials have been conducting rescues in parts of Bevil Oaks, Cooks Lake Road, Pinewood and Fannett among other areas.

Not to make light, but that sounds like a solid plot to a movie.
ursusguy
AG
Cajun Navy currently standing down until a new strategic plan is in place.....per their FB post
BoerneGator
AG
Sean98 said:

Except it was probably the bad guys shooting
Even worse!
ursusguy
AG
Harvey is regaining strength and about to hit Houston again.
First Page Last Page
Page 86 of 106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.