Outdoors
Sponsored by

Anyone into cast iron?

75,517 Views | 326 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by schmellba99
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got 3 pieces in the oven on layer 2 of 6.

I did easy off in the bag for 24 hrs and 1 was still a bit gnarly so I did the self clean oven. Got everything off but major rust.

So today I did vinegar/water with brillo to knock off the rust and then washing soda to stop the reaction. In the oven at 200 to dry.

Super thin coat of PURE flax oil. Raise to 500 for 1 hr. Cool. Repeat.

Looking good so far.
BurrOak
AG
cclearman said:

I want to see an update
No updates really, at least on those pictured. Another poster here (HammerStump) gave me a bunch of skillets awhile back to clean up that belonged to his grandfather. That's about all I've done.

I've sort of been out of commission for a couple weeks on the cast iron. I was cleaning up another skillet, and decided to try putting it in the oven on self-clean mode. It worked great, it baked every bit of crud off and took it down to bare cast iron. But the digital control on my oven just shut down immediately after. Appliance guy had to order some parts and still waiting on him to come fix it. I've got a pile of bare skillets just sitting and waiting to be seasoned.

Edit: Just realized I never posted the 'after' pics of that Erie DO.

rather be fishing
AG
BurrOak said:

cclearman said:

I want to see an update
No updates really, at least on those pictured. Another poster here (HammerStump) gave me a bunch of skillets awhile back to clean up that belonged to his grandfather. That's about all I've done.

I've sort of been out of commission for a couple weeks on the cast iron. I was cleaning up another skillet, and decided to try putting it in the oven on self-clean mode. It worked great, it baked every bit of crud off and took it down to bare cast iron. But the digital control on my oven just shut down immediately after. Appliance guy had to order some parts and still waiting on him to come fix it. I've got a pile of bare skillets just sitting and waiting to be seasoned.

Edit: Just realized I never posted the 'after' pics of that Erie DO.

I've ogt that same DO in a 9.
Sazerac
AG
Turned out ok, but in hindsight I wish I would have sanded the cooking surface smooth.

BurrOak
AG
To add a bit of info on sanding it down smooth...

The 12" Lodge I sanded down on the previous page, I had hell getting new seasoning to stick. Turns out I made it TOO smooth, I guess. I did 3 rounds of Crisco in the oven at 450 for an hr, and then cooked in it almost daily. The seasoning never really took. I ended up hitting it with very course sandpaper by hand and a wire brush to try to rough it up a bit. This was the skillet that I recently put in my oven on self clean, and my oven died. Oven is still not repaired, so I have yet to try to season it.

Log
AG
Back up for reference.
BurnetAggie99
I still use some of my Grandfathers Griswold Cast Iron Skillets that he inherited from his Father. I'd say they are from early 1900's
Log
AG
Another way to do it: render down brisket trimmings for lard. Beef cracklings afterwards.

This one is a (unfortunately cracked on the sidewall opposite the handle) large slant logo Griswold (pre-1920's) I picked up at Canton. It was covered with thick old seasoning, so I couldn't see the crack. If you look close, you can see it at about 1 o'clock. Oh well. I think it will still be usable, since it is a hairline crack and the seasoning will probably seal it up. Looks pretty cool, and it's pretty awesome to give new life to a pan that was made over 100 years ago.

SeMgCo87
AG
Amazing to find this thread on Texags. I have always liked cooking with cast iron, and now I can give it better care.

We have 5 pcs of cast iron, including a griddle that I use for blackening seafood. It has always been a pain to clean up, and I usually end up re-seasoning it every 2 or 3 uses.

So, I followed the advice here and the links, and now have a griddle to which nothing sticks! Never thought of using flaxseed oil, but it leaves a slick surface and doesn't appear to flake off like the bacon grease I used before.

My wife has now tasked me with seasoning the other griddle, two fry pans and her pride and joy Dutch Oven.

I know what I'll be doing at nights for the next 2 weeks...

Thanks all, for the great thread!
schmellba99
AG
Log said:

Another way to do it: render down brisket trimmings for lard. Beef cracklings afterwards.

This one is a (unfortunately cracked on the sidewall opposite the handle) large slant logo Griswold (pre-1920's) I picked up at Canton. It was covered with thick old seasoning, so I couldn't see the crack. If you look close, you can see it at about 1 o'clock. Oh well. I think it will still be usable, since it is a hairline crack and the seasoning will probably seal it up. Looks pretty cool, and it's pretty awesome to give new life to a pan that was made over 100 years ago.

Take it to a welding shop and have them crack chase it and weld it back. The crack will creep over time if you dont arrest it. Bet it will run you $50 if you clean the area to the limits of the crack before you being it in.
schmellba99
AG
Shelton98 said:

As for seasoning a CI skillet... I did a side-by-side test with Crisco vs. lard about a year ago. Lard >>> Crisco.

I have heard that Crisco changed their formula several years back. Assume it was during,one of the saturated/unsaturated fat crazes. Not sure if it is simply urban myth, but my mom,swears that things do not cook the same as they did 15 years ago.
Log
AG
schmellba99 said:

Shelton98 said:

As for seasoning a CI skillet... I did a side-by-side test with Crisco vs. lard about a year ago. Lard >>> Crisco.

I have heard that Crisco changed their formula several years back. Assume it was during,one of the saturated/unsaturated fat crazes. Not sure if it is simply urban myth, but my mom,swears that things do not cook the same as they did 15 years ago.

When it comes to seasoning, it doesn't matter how the oil you are using cooks. You needs an oil/grease/fat that polymerizes in the 400-500 F range and doesn't burn or smoke off. It's a chemical process, rather than a taste process. The oil basically turns into an impenetrable plastic, which is what seasoning is. Crisco, and Crisbee (harder to find), are the two most popular products among CI collector groups, since it forms a really good seasoning and makes good color on the pan.
schmellba99
AG
Not arguing at all, just asking - if they changed the compoaition of the oil, would it not possibly affect how it polymerizes? Or is it a case of all polymerized oil is polymerized oil and chemiatry doesnt matter at that point?
Log
AG
For Crisco, not really. It's a hydrogenated canola/corn oil blend. Corn and canola oils are pretty similar structurally, so no matter the blend ratio (which is most likely what has changed), it's going to react about the same once you hit high heat and polymerization.
schmellba99
AG
Interesting, learned something new today.
reddog90
AG
I know I'm late to this thread, want to check if I'm doing things right.

Heat pan, add oil/fat
cook
let pan cool completely
clean w/ hot water, light soap, scrubber
heat pan on stove to ensure it's dry
add light coat of oil
let pan cool completely
wipe excess oil, put away in cabinet

This is what I do every time I use my cast iron cookware. I still sometimes have things stick (particularly scrambled eggs). I generally use coconut oil spray for cooking and oiling post-cook, is that my problem?
reddog90
AG
And am I reading right that you guys are removing the "preseasoning" on skillets from Lodge and doing it yourself? I've had a Lodge skillet for a couple years that I probably haven't treated right and I just got an Artisinal Kitchen Supply 12" skillet as a wedding gift. The preseasoning on it seems good so far.
'03ag
I have a pair of BSRs that I found covered in rust. One Red Mountain and one much later that says made in the USA.

I've got one of the Red Mountain pretty close to be able to season, however, the whole thing is pitted. I'm going to try to smooth out the cooking surfaces as much as possible, but some of the pitting will remain I'm sure. This is ok right? If I give it several good seasonings the pitting will "fill in" to a certain extent yes?
'03ag
Initially they both looked like the smaller one in this pic.

Now I have the bigger one looking ok.

HTownAg98
I'm about to take a wheel to a smaller pan I got that is heavily pitted. I got all the rust off, now it just needs to be ground smooth.
Sazerac
AG
process looks good
schmellba99
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I'm about to take a wheel to a smaller pan I got that is heavily pitted. I got all the rust off, now it just needs to be ground smooth.

Be wary of grinding too much or removing too much material, thinner metal will warp. Knock down what you can on the surface and roll with it. If you can mic the thickness prior, would be a good thing.
Log
AG
I would do electrolysis before I hit it with a wire wheel. You'll be surprised what magic it works.
reddog90
AG
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FKBR1ZG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A37ZSWO6PFG1ND&psc=1

Any of yall use this? Thoughts?
Sazerac
AG
My mom does. I haven't found it required for well seasoned pans
Log
AG
I use the blue, non-abrasive sponge/scrub pads and hot water. They work perfectly. I then wipe the skillet down with a light coat of oil.
rather be fishing
AG
I use one of those stainless steel chain mail scrubbers. Works good at knocking things off and doesn't seem to effect the season to me. Just don't apply too much pressure when scrubbing.
reddog90
AG
I have a couple pieces that came factory preseasoned (like Lodge). I have used them a little bit and I'm not happy with their seasoning or my care of them. They are not rusty, they just aren't non-stick. Should I remove all of this seasoning and start over with flaxseed oil using the oven method linked earlier? Or can I leave the current seasoning on the pieces season with flaxseed oil over it? If I need to remove the current seasoning, what's the easiest way?
Sazerac
AG
It depends. If the existing seasoning isn't damaged you can apply the flax on top. It isn't going to work miracles though. You still need to start cooking with it.

It will never be as non stick as Teflon or non stick ceramic. You should always use a fat to cook.
Log
AG
Spray it down with yellow Easy Off and stick it in a trash bag in your counter for a day or so. Then pull it out and wash it with a scrubby pad under cold water. Dry it off thoroughly, then stick it in the oven at 200 F to dry for 15 minutes. Then follow the method I've posted earlier for seasoning it. And use CRISCO, not flaxseed oil. Flaxseed looks good, but it tends to flake off over time.
Sazerac
AG
Science doesn't agree with you.

I also don't think you should strip your pan unless it's in rough shape.
schmellba99
AG
Log said:

Spray it down with yellow Easy Off and stick it in a trash bag in your counter for a day or so. Then pull it out and wash it with a scrubby pad under cold water. Dry it off thoroughly, then stick it in the oven at 200 F to dry for 15 minutes. Then follow the method I've posted earlier for seasoning it. And use CRISCO, not flaxseed oil. Flaxseed looks good, but it tends to flake off over time.

Yeah...gonna have to disagree with the flaxseed comment. Going on several years with minw, nary a problem.

Also, what is your aversion to wire wheel? Quicker, no damage to base metal, no dealing with ovens, trash bags and easy off. Both work, dont get me wrong, just so much faster amd easier with a wire wheel and 10 or 15 minutes of elbow grease.
schmellba99
AG
reddog90 said:

I have a couple pieces that came factory preseasoned (like Lodge). I have used them a little bit and I'm not happy with their seasoning or my care of them. They are not rusty, they just aren't non-stick. Should I remove all of this seasoning and start over with flaxseed oil using the oven method linked earlier? Or can I leave the current seasoning on the pieces season with flaxseed oil over it? If I need to remove the current seasoning, what's the easiest way?

Wire wheel on an angle grinder, takes about 15 minutes. Sand with orbital sander starting with 80 grit, going up to 180 or 220 to smokth surface out.

Clean, dry amd put in oven on 200 for about an hour. Put some,flaxseed,oil in the pan, wipe with a paper towel until every surface is coated. Wipe agai with a new paper towel until all excess and,residual oil is gone - you should almoat feel nothing left. Put in preheated oven at 450-500 for an hour or two, turn oven off and,let cool with pan in.

Repeat process 3 or 4 more times, then use.
Log
AG
Because it takes 30 seconds to spray it and put it in the bag, and one minute to wash it off in the sink. You just do them several hours apart. Spray it in the morning, go to work, come home, and wash it off. And the Easy Off is more thorough than the wire wheel, since it gets into every little nook and cranny. And if you are talking about a collectible skillet, wire wheel marks will show up and ruin any value it has, since the serious collectors can spot them.
reddog90
AG
So cover pan in easy off (while wearing gloves, glasses, and a mask I presume), put in trash bag and let it sit for a day, then rinse off in the sink and all the seasoning is removed?

Do I then sand with an orbital to smooth things up?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.