Outdoors
Sponsored by

Anyone into cast iron?

75,516 Views | 326 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by schmellba99
$240 Worth of Pudding
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
thisguy05 said:

Found these gems today at an estate sale. 10" Griswold, 8" Wagner. Paid $20 for the pair! I'll post afters soon.

Well? Let's seem 'em all prettied up!
rather be fishing
AG
Picked up a BSR #3 and #5 this morning.

EFE
AG
Bought my FIL a #8 pan from the Field Co. for Christmas. We've seen him a dozen times since he got it and every time he has brought up how much he loves that thing. They are legit, if I didn't have a perfectly good lodge that I polished up, I'd be ordering one for myself.
Thisguy1
I was just given a variety of old cast iron pieces. Some have markings like Lodge, Carona, Cocinaware.

Others like these are unmarked.

https://imgur.com/gallery/HzblpC2

https://imgur.com/gallery/shabDdp
BurrOak
AG
Top one is an old 3-notch Lodge. Bottom is a BSR.
Thisguy1
What should I do with them?

BSR
https://imgur.com/gallery/emHiYWA

Lodge
https://imgur.com/gallery/dKCivNX

BSR is smooth but not near as glassy. Lodge is pretty smooth and glassy but has some scratches and flaky looking spots.
rather be fishing
AG
That BSR (without a lid) is my most used piece of cast iron.

Clean them up and use them or sell them.
big1russ
Anybody recognize the markings on this Dutch oven?

tamc91
AG
Based on what I found via google on Worthopedia it is a " Birmingham Stove & Range No.10 Cast Iron Dutch Oven, 12 5/8" 44H-1". With the BSR reference you can probably track down info on when the made that type.

I guess the holes are to help prevent heat warps and cracks? Never seen that design before.
Log
AG
BSR Century Series.

44H-1 is the mold/pattern mark.

The "holes" are basters. They allows liquid to collect and then drop back down onto the food when cooking.
C4D
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

I wonder if this "procedure" for cleaning and seasoning cast iron is like everything else we do that is overworked and overthought? I have a ton of cast iron stuff and use a handful of it regularly and it's like glass and hasn't been seasoned since my great grandparents had it. I can gaurantee you there was no seasoning involved outside of just using the damn thing. Is all that stuff really necessary? I kinda feel like if I could go back in time and explain how to season their cookware they would use it as a bludgeon on my head.

This

Use it, clean it with soap and water and a scrub brush, oil it and let it sit till next time. Not complicated. Grills and cast iron get seasoned with use.
rather be fishing
AG
New acquisitions from this morning.

8" unmarked Wagner Ware
Wagner Ware Sidney O 1058O
Griswold Erie 701H

BlueMiles
AG
I'm glad you bumped this thread. I fried some chicken in one of my skillets today.
spud1910
AG
I picked up a Wagner Ware Sidney O 1058 this weekend. Is this likely pre1960?
Log
AG
1967-1968 is when I think the USA marking went into effect. So it could be slightly before that 1967 time frame or just after they started producing with that logo in the 50's. Either way, great skillets. My two 1058's get more use than all of the other ones I have.
Log
AG
That large logo Griswold is nice.
rather be fishing
AG
My dad passed away a couple weeks ago so I've now inherited a Lodge 14S. It'll probably never get used, but glad to add it to my collection.

bco2003
AG
Related....kind of....

BSD
AG
I've got two 12" Lodge cast iron skillets coming in tomorrow. The plan is to sand them down with 40 and 80 grit paper and then season.

A few quick questions:
1. How smooth should I sand it down?
2. Do I season the whole skillet, top and bottom (don't see a reason to sand the bottom since I don't need it smooth)
3. Anything else I need to know?
Log
AG
FFS, do not go anywhere next to those skillets with sandpaper. Just read the entire thread and use the seasoning method from this thread. Then use a lot of butter or bacon grease going forward when cooking and it will continue to get better.
BSD
AG
Wow. You seem plenty adamant about not sanding it down. Why the change from this post?

Log said:

Once you have done this, get one of the Diablo power drill sanding pad attachments from HD and get some 36/40, 80, and 120 grit sanding discs. Start low grit, and work your way to high. Use the coarse pads until it starts looking smooth, then transition to the finer grits to finish it out.

AggieChemist
AG
This thread is apropos for my 100 year old enterprise cider press/sausage stuffer.

schmellba99
AG
BSD said:

I've got two 12" Lodge cast iron skillets coming in tomorrow. The plan is to sand them down with 40 and 80 grit paper and then season.

A few quick questions:
1. How smooth should I sand it down?
2. Do I season the whole skillet, top and bottom (don't see a reason to sand the bottom since I don't need it smooth)
3. Anything else I need to know?

I went to 180 grit on mine. Inside surface only.

Cleaned with a wire wheel first, then hit the interior with a RO sander starting at 80, 120 and then 180. Clean, heat, clean, then season,

Use them almost daily to this day without any issues. And my stuff was done and in use before Log's stuff was out of his chemical bath. He is a Chem E, so hes kind of weird anyway. Like AC.
Post removed:
by user
BurrOak
AG
I sanded down my 12" Lodge. Started course and then worked my way up to 220 grit. Super smooth. Too smooth, in fact. The seasoning would not stick and just wipe right off. I went at it with the most course sand paper I could find, just using elbow grease. Did that until my arm could not stand it anymore. It took multiple rounds of that, and finally it now holds a seasoning.

Did another one for my brother only using 80 grit. Not as smooth as mine, but much more smooth than original. No issues with seasoning sticking on that one.
thisguy05
AG

Only took me two years!
Log
AG
Specs/method?
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
How did I just now discover this thread? I use cast iron for almost everything. I have a massive BSR pan that I believe dates prior to WW2. My other stuff is all newer.

KentRollins.com has lots of tips for care and usage.
thisguy05
AG
The top one is a Wagner 8 1058 J, which I believe dates it 1935-59.

The bottom is a Griswold No 10 716E, pre1957.

I tried oven cleaner and it was way too much work, so I had em sandblasted while me neighbor was sandblasting his fence. I decided I was never gonna be happy with em like that, so I started sanding, which is kind of a rabbit hole.

First I used an angle grinder, which was a bit too much, then sanding wheels, 36 grit, then 60. They were effective, but I couldn't do it evenly. So I went to the orbital sander, 40 grit, 60, 150, 240. It still has visible scratches, but I figured I'd keep em as a reminder that I did it myself. They're smooth to the touch.
jpb1999
AG
Question, I have a Dutch oven that I broke out over spring break to cook a cobbler in while camping. Against my better judgment others put on way to many coals below and above it and the cobbler burned. Middle was still edible though.

Now I have a blackened cake on mess. I tried scrubbing and soaking, etc, but no luck yet. Next I was going to try heating it back up and/or using salt to scrub with. Any other suggestions? It's almost like it physically bonded to the iron... didn't know if there was a method I am not familiar with that might work?

Spane Bohem

BurrOak
AG
Set up an electrolysis tank. That will take care of it.
rather be fishing
AG
jpb1999 said:

Question, I have a Dutch oven that I broke out over spring break to cook a cobbler in while camping. Against my better judgment others put on way to many coals below and above it and the cobbler burned. Middle was still edible though.

Now I have a blackened cake on mess. I tried scrubbing and soaking, etc, but no luck yet. Next I was going to try heating it back up and/or using salt to scrub with. Any other suggestions? It's almost like it physically bonded to the iron... didn't know if there was a method I am not familiar with that might work?
Use a metal cooking spatula or stainless steel chainmail scrubber to get it off. Soak it in hot soapy water for a while before trying.
Tx95Ag
AG
Boil water in it then scrub it with a spatula or chain mail.
RED AG 98
AG
Amazing thread. Been referencing castiron collector and fb groups for some time unaware this even existed. Have quite a few pieces in various shape from a long ago ended antiques booth.

I absolutely love to cook on cast iron. My daily drivers are a BSR Red Mountain 5Y and an unmarked Wagner #10. And the half-moon CI griddle on my 800F+ kamado is the best steak sear I've ever had
turfman80
AG
I'm hoping someone can identify the foundry and approx. age of a cast iron pan I'm restoring. I havent had any luck on the internet. Thank you!

Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.