Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pistol shooting thread (Drills, Techniques, Discussion)

23,168 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TwoMarksHand
JSKolache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lost me at "holster & repeat" - can't do that at any of the ranges near the casa.
lexofer
AG
quote:
Lost me at "holster & repeat" - can't do that at any of the ranges near the casa.
Then start at low ready for those. There's no time limit so you won't be gaining an advantage, you just don't get to practice your draw.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
quote:
Then start at low ready for those. There's no time limit so you won't be gaining an advantage, you just don't get to practice your draw.

Yep. You can still do this drill, you just won't be getting the full benefit of it.

It will still be useful for helping access where you're at with your pistol shooting accuracy though.

I'll shoot Dot Torture again next week, backing up further with the 22 and trying again to hit 50/50 with the 1911 at 3 yards. I'd shoot it earlier, but I'm already shooting Steel Challenge and IDPA this week.

runningbombtech
AG
quote:
Thanks for the Dot Torture exercize. I want to encourage you to keep this going for the month like you planned.

Since I am virtually a beginner with handguns, maybe this will help me get motivated to get out and do it. If others on this thread are doing Dot Torture in July, it will definitely help motivate me.

Note to self.... buy more ammo and a holster.
Keep it up Allen. It's easy for beginners to get discouraged but your motivation is great!

I offer private lessons for shooters of all stripes in the Houston area. Y'all feel free to hit me up if you're interested.
----------------------------------------------
Gun fight rule No. 11 - the only unfair fight is the one you lose.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Texas LTC Certified Instructor
www.WarriorCHL.com
runningbombtech
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yep. You can still do this drill, you just won't be getting the full benefit of it.

It will still be useful for helping access where you're at with your pistol shooting accuracy though.

I'll shoot Dot Torture again next week, backing up further with the 22 and trying again to hit 50/50 with the 1911 at 3 yards. I'd shoot it earlier, but I'm already shooting Steel Challenge and IDPA this week.

I think someone already mentioned this, but practice the draw portion as a DRY FIRE exercise at the home if your range doesn't allow you to shoot from the draw.
Start SLOWLY. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Concentrate on accuracy of movement. Repeat until your muscles begin to stress. Then take a break. I have some pretty good drills on my blog if anyone is interested. http://www.warriorchl.com/knowledge-feed
Dunbar
AG
Great drill Bender. Just shot it and will get the youtube video up soon. First time ive shot pistol in months so im a bit rusty. I also tried to push it and noticed my accuracy suffered.
Dunbar
AG
Bump for video upload
BenderRodriguez
AG
I can't believe I just watched a guy yell "Stop" at me for 10 minutes.

In all seriousness, taking it a step up with video footage.

I think if you'd not been incorporating movement, you probably could have cleared 50/50, but that's not a bad variation to make on the drill at all.

Glad you enjoyed it, it always refocuses me on the essentials. I'd like to say working this drill early this week helped my steel challenge shooting tonight, but it was hard to tell because the entire match was a huge charlie foxtrot.

Dunbar
AG
Haha, thanks. Sorry for the sunlight in the backgroung too. I wasnt thinking when I was making the video.
My hope is to shoot the drill again and score 100% even with movement and "STOP!"
dr_boogs
AG
Bender (and other 1911 fans), not to derail this thread, but know you're following it so here goes -

Why'd you decide on the DW Guardian? I'm looking to add a 9 mm 1911 to my collection and was looking at the DW Eco for CC. It's a 3.0 inch barrel and capacity is 7 + 1 in 9 mm, which doesn't really help much over single stack 1911's plus you have the 9 mm/3.0 inch barrel/ultra compact type frame to (possibly) worry about reliability. (FWIW, I CC'd a 3 inch Kimber ultra covert II for years in .45ACP and despite all the micro Kimber hate, that little pistol functions flawlessly, so I've had good experience with compact 1911's in .45ACP).

So then I started looking at Springfield's EMP4, which is a commander size 9 mm with 9+1 capacity (4 inch barrel). Was going to try and get my hands on one of those (reviews online were mixed but you know how online reviews go).

But then your OP caused me to take a look at the Guardian. I CC a commander .45 ACP Ed Brown so the size of the frame would be fine, bottom line - if I'm happy with the size of the commander frame, would you go with the DW Guardian vs. the EMP?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.....
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
if I'm happy with the size of the commander frame, would you go with the DW Guardian vs. the EMP?

Yes, I'd still go with the Guardian.

EMP doesn't take a lot of standard 1911 parts, and the Guardian does. I don't know what sights the EMP comes with, but the Guardian has Trijicon night sights standard (contrasting yellow rear and green front). Standard 1911 custom grips can be used on the Guardian.

And so far, it's just really impressed me as a well made gun. I'm only at 265 rounds through it so far (will be closer to 400 by the end of the weekend), but it hasn't had a single issue yet. If you listen to the internet, that's not something a 9mm 1911 should be able to do, especially one built to tight tolerances.

I'm still wringing mine out and will be for a while yet, but it's really impressed me so far.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I'm not much of a shooter, but:

A) Enos' Beyond the Fundamentals is a great book - might make more sense if you've been a jock if you aren't an experienced shooter.

B) my favorite version of that meme is "Slow is Slow. Smooth is fast." Though my best runs have been ones where I had no idea at all how I did it.

C) I like to put stickers on the center of plates, and focus on knocking them off - helps with not shooting "the whole target," but I tend to drop easy points by not actually aiming at times. (I get varying my focus and sight picture - I mean when I don't take one at all.)

Watching reflectors on the highway seems to help - I think much of shooting is about building eye muscles. When new shooters cannot "see" what a GM is doing, I think it's because their eye muscles aren't in shape enough to track motions at that speed.
runningbombtech
AG

Finally got to the range to try this out. Great drill! You might see the one or two I dropped, but...
BenderRodriguez
AG
Nice shooting!

It's Independence Day weekend, yall.

Celebrate your freedom by shooting a little Dot Torture.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Seems like a good a place as any for this:

What is everyone's opinion on the Glock 43 vs the 19? Handled a 43 today but didn't shoot it, felt more comfortable in hand than expected and obviously seems quite a bit more concealable the 19.
suprafly03
AG
I own them both.

G19 all day, everyday...

I actually carry the 43 more regularly due to clothing. I ankle carry under my scrubs.

But the 19 is more enjoyable to shot, has compatibility with the other double stack 9mm glocks, it's plenty easy to conceal with a belt, and is the one glock most say they'd keep if they could only have one glock.

So if you don't have any clothing restrictions, get the 19 you won't be disappointed.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
With the caveat that I have my G19 up for sale, it's really the best choice.

If you need an ultralight/pocket gun, I'm a big fan of an air weight J frame/LCR/ultralight revolver.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I'm down to one Glock. It's a 19.

The 19 is not hard to conceal in even shorts/tshirt with a good holster/belt combo.

Between the two, it's the one I would pick every time. If you need something pocketable, might as well go really small and do something like an LCP.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Well that settles that, I had pretty much zeroed in on the 19 before I saw the 43 anyway it just gave me a little more reason to think when I held it and didn't hate it.
runningbombtech
AG
quote:
I ankle carry under my scrubs.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Did you ever try a belly band under scrubs? I use something kinda like a belly band when I run to hold my key, phone and Kel-Tec
TwoMarksHand
AG
I just got done at the range today. This was the first time I have ever shot the dot torture. Very fun drill. I'm still a beginner with the pistol. My single hand shots were way off as expected. For some reason on the #3 dot, I was a little off as well. I think I started looking at the dot, instead of my front sight. Other than that it was very fun, and boy does it burn through brass.

[img] https://imgur.com/a/GRVqf [/img]
aggie_wes
AG
Going out to the lease Friday, planning to run through this drill with my new PPS
suprafly03
AG
I have done the belly band. It really works well too.

I just wear too much junk during the day to have one more thing around my waist.

I have a 2-way radio and a LED light battery pack that both sit on my right hip. Adding the belly band simply takes it to an entire new level of frustration.

For my daily comfort it's easier to ankle carry. But the belly band is perfect for my workouts, and lounging around the house without a belt on.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Anyone else tried out Dot Torture?

Went again today at lunch. 25 mph winds, heat index of 105...perfect time to go shoot.

Since I hit 50/50 with the 22/45 at three yards last time, backed it up. Should have gone 4 yards, got cocky and backed it up to 5 yards instead. Results were predictable. Scored 46/50.

Tried the 1911 again at 3 yards. Scored 48/50 last week with it at 3 yards. One sloppy rushed follow up shot, one weak hand miss. This week? 49/50. Missed another weak hand shot. Know what I'm working on before I shoot this drill again.

Frustrating to say the least. Had to finish with at least one 50/50...so I broke out the CZ, and almost ruined it very first shot. But it broke the circle, so I counted it, slowed down and was able to clear it....at least I shot one 50/50 today.

I'll shoot this again next week. 1911 at 3 yards, CZ and 22/45 at 4 yards....after some dry fire and live fire practice with heavy emphases on weak hand only shooting.

TwoMarksHand
AG
Wanted to bump this thread to say this:

Dry fire practice should be much higher on your priorities to improve your shooting than range time. If you look around YouTube most instructors say that you should dry fire 5-10x more than live fire. One guy in the military said 100x more.

Anecdote from USCCA:
quote:
During the 1970s, the old apartheid government of South Africa was under a U.N. arms embargo and could not import ammunition. Their domestic production could not keep up with demand. As an experiment, the S.A. Army had one group of new recruits go through the normal handgun training program, while another group went through doing only dry practice.

The "dry" group did not fire a single shot until qualification day. When the scores were tallied, the dry group slightly outperformed the group which had done all the usual live fire practice.
I thought I would include my daily dry fire practice regiment:

If anyone else wants to comment or criticize my routine, go ahead, I appreciate outside thoughts.
If you want a more detailed description of one of the bullet points feel free to ask.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Texas Stars are the devil. Got third out of twenty in my division at steel challenge on Thursday, did worse than that at today's uspsa match.

My 1911 reloads are sloppy and need a ton of work, and the Texas Star was designed by Satan.
FrontPorchAg
So, I'm right handed and coming in consistantly low and to the left. About 2-3 inches at 12 yds. I'm shooting a double action so some people have suggest trigger control others someone else said its anticipation. Not sure if anyone had some suggestions for diagnosing and cleaning this up.
Max06
AG
If it's anticipation, dry firing will help a lot.
lexofer
AG
A regular texas star is no big deal as long as you shoot it in correct order. Almost all trouble I see people have with them is getting flustered and shooting at the lower plates too soon.

A pre activated, spinning Death Star at night can be a huge pain in the ass though. Next hardest I've shot is a Texas star offhand with rifle at 100 yards with only bottom right corner visible. Third worst I can remember would be a double Texas star, started off spinning counter rotating with no shoot plates.
TwoMarksHand
AG
I went to my first IDPA shoot yesterday. Was a ton of fun. I was 8th out of 10 in the SSP division. I was right there with the other guys who were of my ability. This was the first time I had ever shot while making sure to stay behind cover. It was pretty rough at first, but by the end I started to figure it out.

There is a steel shoot next week and I can't wait to go.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
A regular texas star is no big deal as long as you shoot it in correct order. Almost all trouble I see people have with them is getting flustered and shooting at the lower plates too soon.

A pre activated, spinning Death Star at night can be a huge pain in the ass though. Next hardest I've shot is a Texas star offhand with rifle at 100 yards with only bottom right corner visible. Third worst I can remember would be a double Texas star, started off spinning counter rotating with no shoot plates.

That's true. I was in a groove after hitting the other steel and without thinking shot the bottom plate first. Throw in a double feed during a mag change and it killed my time. Better luck next time.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
I went to my first IDPA shoot yesterday. Was a ton of fun. I was 8th out of 10 in the SSP division. I was right there with the other guys who were of my ability. This was the first time I had ever shot while making sure to stay behind cover. It was pretty rough at first, but by the end I started to figure it out.

There is a steel shoot next week and I can't wait to go.

Glad you enjoyed it! Competition is a blast, and a good way to meet some great people.
BenderRodriguez
AG
And speaking of competition, I encourage everyone to try it out if you're wanting to become a better shooter.

If anyone wants, I can write up a bit of an intro to competition: dos and donts, explain some of the gear/equipment you'll need, even share a video of me shooting a stage or two (The stage I got filmed today of course was the one where I struggled with the Star and not the stage that I hit nothing but Alphas on).

This was the stage I video'd/struggled on:

TwoMarksHand
AG
Bender when you shoot competitions do you keep both eyes open or squint at the targets? I like keeping both eyes open, but I sucked at hitting down zeros at IDPA this weekend. When I switched to squinting towards the end of the shoot, I started nailing down zeros. When I dry fire my sight picture is great, but I guess when the "stress" of competition starts, that **** goes out the window quick. Any suggestions beside practice more?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.