Outdoors
Sponsored by

Big Cat BS in Bellville (Black Panther)

17,120 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by EastTexAg09
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Never seen a black panther in the county, however it would seem possible.
AustinCountyAg
People that call Bobcats mountain lions.
TheClaw07
AG
We've killed one mountain lion and seen two more on our ranch in Ranger. It's been about 15 years probably. She was 6' 7" from nose to tail and 112 pounds. We all thought my little brother was crazy when he said it was a mountain lion (assumed it was a bobcat, as did the taxidermist when we asked to use his freezer) but it sure as heck was. Star telegram put his picture in the outdoor section. Apparently it was a big deal!
No Bat Soup For You
AG
I may be nuts but I swear I saw a black cat driving through Lockhart. 2ft tall with a tail as long as it's body sticking almost straight up in the air as it moved across a pasture in broad daylight.

Of the native cats of Texas it most resembled a Jaguarundi but they're not supposed to be that far North.

FWIW my parents told me about a black cat they saw multiple times in Hico before something killed a miniature pony they bought my niece. Maybe the crazy runs in the family.
agsalaska
AG
quote:

Oh yea? How you figure?
agsalaska
AG
quote:
quote:
Unless of course it's black. Those are everywhere but don't like to be photographed.

As a photographer for 40+ years, I can explain that. It's because of the death of black and white film. Everyone uses color film now, and black panthers only show up on black and white.

Finally. An explanation that makes perfect sense
Toothdoc86
AG
Shot a very large bobcat in Oakwood [NE Leon county] Last Deer Season
AggieCowboy
AG
Your chances of spotting a black panther increase exponentially with each shot of tequila taken after your first four. Unfortunately your ability to use a camera to put said black panther on film decreases by the same amount
ursusguy
AG
Or meth.
malenurse
AG
quote:
I may be nuts but I swear I saw a black cat driving through Lockhart.
Where in the hell are these panthers getting drivers' licenses?
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Barnes has killed a handful of black panthers. And also has hundreds of game cam pics of them from his 20,000 acre ranch in the hill country.
AustinCountyAg
quote:
quote:

Oh yea? How you figure?
considering Prairie View University has a black panther mascot, I'm assuming maybe one person at one time could have possibly seen one in the area??? It COULD have been how they chose their mascot??

I'm just throwing out a possible explanation.

Like I said it COULD be possible. I'm not saying it is true or that I believe it
ursusguy
AG
And Missouri has tigers.

I guess if someone has a private collection of jaguars or leopards you might find one.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
considering Prairie View University has a black panther mascot, I'm assuming maybe one person at one time could have possibly seen one in the area??? It COULD have been how they chose their mascot??

Like I said it COULD be possible. I'm not saying it is true or that I believe it
Trent Gorillas

Spring Woods Tigers

Kress Kangaroos

Frost Polar Bears

New Braunfels Unicorns

Hutto Hippos

Dadgum, didn't know there were all these exotic animals in Texas.
AgEng06
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Oh yea? How you figure?

I would guess PV was more likely named after the other Black Panthers...
drmwvr
AG
I just ran across this thread and found it of interest. It hit close to home so I had share this story:

Our family place is in Colorado county near Cat Spring. The Little San Bernard River cuts though our acreage so we have a lot of trees, terrain elevation change etc. Basically, good habitat for wildlife and I have seen everything you can imagine. About 8 years ago, one of our workers called me to tell me he saw what he called a "puma". He is originally from Mexico and had worked for our family for over 10 years at that point. Venturo spoke english about as good as I speak spanish but sometimes there was a language barrier. Thinking he meant a bobcat I showed him a picture of one and he said no, that was not what he saw. He then went on to described what he saw as a black "big cat" like a mountain lion.

It took me a few days to come out and when he showed me the old oak tree he saw the puma in, we could not find any tracks or evidence to speak of. It should be noted that It did rain between the time he saw it and I went out to investigate. I kind of thought he was kidding me but the he was serious the entire time we searched for footprints.

Venturo, who has since passed, was always a great employee and a great man so I have no reason to believe he was lying to me; I just thought at the end of the day that he had simply miss-identified what he saw. Since his sighting, we have always laughed and joked (in a good natured way) about his "black puma" sighting. In fact, we always tell everyone to watch out for "Venturo's puma" whenever they are out on the back acreage. especially the wooded areas near the river.

I'd like to think he was correct and pumas do exist at our place after all...that would be a great ending to this story and a way to honor him!

Anyway, thanks for bringing back good memories!

Now, let's go find us some black puma!

TL;DR verion- I've never seen one but one of my ranch workers who is now deceased swears he saw a black puma at our place near Cat Spring, Texas about 8 years ago. We scare young children with puma stories. Especially at night.
OnlyForNow
AG
The problem isn't with pumas being in strange places; it is BLACK pumas being in strange places.

I don't think there has EVER been a recorded case of a black/melanstic phase american mountain loin, photographed or killed.
drmwvr
AG
He described it as a black puma. Sorry if that was not clear above.
OnlyForNow
AG
It's very clear, what I'm say is that there is nothing to make me believe there was black puma on your property.

Regular ole puma, sure I buy that; but not a truly black one.
B-1 83
AG
Only Black Panther you'll likely see around Bellville.....

drmwvr
AG
quote:
It's very clear, what I'm say is that there is nothing to make me believe there was black puma on your property.

Regular ole puma, sure I buy that; but not a truly black one.
That very well could be the case. All I know is that I've never seen one, be it black, white, yellow or green!
CrawfordAg
AG
Unrelated to black panthers but I caught this bobcat while playing golf last spring out at Bluebonnet near Decker Lake in Austin. He was busy stalking the plethora of jackrabbits and cotton tails in the area. His/Her spots were unlike the other bobcats I have seen in Central Texas. Thoughts?

Texan76
quote:
Unrelated to black panthers but I caught this bobcat while playing golf last spring out at Bluebonnet near Decker Lake in Austin. He was busy stalking the plethora of jackrabbits and cotton tails in the area. His/Her spots were unlike the other bobcats I have seen in Central Texas. Thoughts?

Very pretty bobcat.
Reginald Cousins
ursusguy
AG
Nice spotting. They vary a lot in appearance.
Heelside Tantrum
Didn't read the whole thread but is it the Christmas tree farm off of 159 on the west side of town? Folks got some land just a few miles from there....
3AgDad81
AG
I have land just out of Bellville that borders along Mill Creek. Been there for 20+ years and have seen a large black cat, we thought it was a puma, with thick long tail at least three times while riding horses thru trails. Thought I was crazy at first but after others in the area confirmed their sightings I've become a believer.
Stive
AG
quote:
I have land just out of Bellville that borders along Mill Creek. Been there for 20+ years and have seen a large black cat, we thought it was a puma, with thick long tail at least three times while riding horses thru trails. Thought I was crazy at first but after others in the area confirmed their sightings I've become a believer.

Well....if somehow you can shoot it or at the very least get a photo of it, you're sitting on a mint since you'll be the first! So good luck!!!
Potlicker
AG
quote:
People that call Bobcats mountain lions.
. I've got some pretty funny video from a hunt down on El Sauz... We saw bobcats pretty regularly (they are off limits there) and the guys that ran the place have had some encounters with mountain lions and an ocelot ( I swear up and down I saw an ocelot but it's tough convincing anybody-- just after first light one came across road in front of high rack I was on-maybe 10 yards--and was gone--too thick to see anything else) back to story.. I was videoing with one of my older cameras in truck-- biggest bobcat I've ever seen was walking away from us in dead center of road-- we got closer and closer and then he turned and guy in back seat started screaming mountain lion and the cat took off... It was a big bobcat but nothing like a mountain lion.. Another cool bobcat sighting was four fully grown cats eating on and around a dead javelina.. They barely moved when we rolled by..
Ag In Ok
AG
Whereabouts along mill creek?
3AgDad81
AG
We are located at the end of Sycamore Crossing..........
EastTexAg09
Obvious Panther... last confirmed sighting posted here first, and east of San Mexico at that
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.