Outdoors
Sponsored by

Wanting a skiff for fly fishing the coast

17,707 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TheGroupGuy
FishingAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
I lIve on the coast. Fish all the time. Have friends with skiffs of all makes and models. Most expensive down to reasonable. No cheap stuff.

A lot sold their skiffs. Here's why.
- always windy. Lots of times the fish aren't where you can fish in a skiff. Average day here is 15-25. everyday.
- they are very rough (again back to wind
issue)
- run shallow great. Easy to maneuver. Don't carry a lot of people. Two. . Three is max. Otherwise you lose the run shallow etc....
-the guys that fish from skiffs are after the "experience". Few fish. Quality.etc,,,
If that's your thing go for it. Kids do NOT do well in skiffs. They make too much noise which defeats the purpose of being in 6" of water.

Just some thoughts. One friend sold his skiff and bought a jet drive. It's unreal where he can go. He gets to the same places as air boats. Some of the places. Runs rough water
well, he wades a lot.
A skiff guy will tell you nothing but how great they are. I just know how many I've seen bought and sold because in reality, they are very limited.

Believe he was the first to suggest a jet drive sir. So I don't believe HE made jet drive owners look foolish since he was suggesting them as an alternative. They are awesome. my friend has one. We use it all the time. You can pole to reds and we take turns poling. You can sight cast to fish but it's not the best. It's loud and bulky to maneuver. If there's a bunch of fish it doesn't matter you just can't use it to get on singles or small groups very well. But it will go almost anywhere. We have to get out to push it sometimes to get going though. A downside I guess.
sunchaser
AG
CP.....I used to fish a lot out of Port Mansfield. Gladis was my favorite wading spot. From time to time....if the wind was right... I would move past the trout fisherman and drift the west bank of the south end of the land cut. One summer it got so good with reds that I put a TM on the front of the Shallow Sport. We would bump along that shoreline casting along the grass line....maybe work 5-6 miles north of Guy's place. It was fantastic for about two summers and then they were gone.

Fatty Carmello and a long ago stringer from Peyton's Bay....

Finn Maccumhail
AG
I'm surprised his chicken legs can hold up that stringer.
Cancelled
AG
This Myto guy comes across as really arrogant, bordering on sociopathic.
NW80
AG
Yes Queso and to think he's a guide.

And not to sound arrogant myself, but the first 4 letters of his handle are "Myth" not Myto LOL.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Yes Queso and to think he's a guide.

And not to sound arrogant myself, but the first 4 letters of his handle are "Myth" not Myto LOL.
And an Aggie too.

If somebody can make a living as a guide, good for them but I'm not gonna lie, I find it very distasteful to try and advertise "no catch/no pay." Guides should be stewards of the resource not promising meat hauls for googans.
FishingAggie
Lol he's not a guide. Not sure where you got that. He would never be a guide. I don't think he could afford the pay cut.

Why can't you guys just let it go. This is exactly what he was talking about. He tried to help, two of you started in on him and and he fought back.
He's not an Aggie. I can't say anymore. Good guy. I am an Aggie and I'm sad at the way he was treated.

Look he apologized. Left. I reread all the posts. He was very nice. At first. Then he responded to people cocking off. That's all.

Again I do know him. He's extremely kind. Would give you the shirt off his back literally.
I can't say how he knows what he does but it would have been great to get him talking on here. Whatever info you got would be gold.
Done now. Let's just let it go. Please.

Asking as one Aggie to another. Lots of alpha males in here. We all have to give a little.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Lol he's not a guide. Not sure where you got that. He would never be a guide. I don't think he could afford the pay cut.

Why can't you guys just let it go. This is exactly what he was talking about. He tried to help, two of you started in on him and and he fought back.
He's not an Aggie. I can't say anymore. Good guy. I am an Aggie and I'm sad at the way he was treated.

Look he apologized. Left. I reread all the posts. He was very nice. At first. Then he responded to people cocking off. That's all.

Again I do know him. He's extremely kind. Would give you the shirt off his back literally.
I can't say how he knows what he does but it would have been great to get him talking on here. Whatever info you got would be gold.

Asking as one Aggie to another. Lots of alpha males in here. We all have to give a little.
Dude, your friend came on here and attacked 2 long-time posters who made their bones on the coast a long, long time ago and started name-dropping.

If he had just said his piece regarding jet-drives, etc. and not name-dropped a couple guides people would have taken his remarks as part of the discussion but he basically bashed a couple guys who collectively have about 100 years fishing the Rockport/Port-A areas.

Incidentally, I've fished with both Naiser & Scates and though they know their sh!+ they also have well-deserved reps for being somewhat abrasive ********s
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
quote:

Tells everyone to let it go but keeps coming back and posting. And can't help but mention each time about how badass of a fisherman his "friend" is. How ironic.

Also, based on the first guys username, these are young kids. Probably caught a fat sack of fish a few times and now thinks they are invincible.
FishingAggie
I'm not going to keep defending him. You're exactly right. Two long time posters

That's the real issue. I read the posts a third time. Last time. I was going to call him out on it but honestly. He was blunt but the bottom line is he stood up to the cool kids.

It's fine. He's gone will never be back. i just asked to drop it. I really don't think anyone read the posts in order. He was very nice at first. I don't think any of us like being picked at. Jmo.
He complemented you actually Finn
Ok. I've got to try and make a living. Can't keep messing around on here.
Please let's all just let it go. I think it's been covered enough. If you still
Need to vent I guess it's a free board. Just hoping we can all move on.
Last rant from me. Have a great day all and Gig 'Em!!
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
This has got to be an elaborate troll job.
Mythotbetterthanyours
Well I said I wouldn't be back so I guess this post makes me a liar.

I need to straighten out something. I am not a guide for hire. I work for an Aggie owned company and provide boat services for a single company and their clients. I love Aggie football and usually don't post on the ob as I see everything on here in real life all the time. I've worked for the same company for 15 years. 4000 days on the water all inshore. Not bragging, it just is what it is. I don't drop names of places because I don't want you there making my job harder. Seems simple to understand to me.

It's no one's business on here but some of you are downgrading a guide I know. There's four Aggie guides in this area. Brian Preston in Aransass Pass. He owns the taxidermy shop there as well. Darryl Walters out of Rockport. Younger guy, good guide. Ryan Wagner from Rockport. Also a good guide and excellent duck/goose hunter. We use him a lot for goose and duck hunting. Lastly, George Rose from Rockport. He's the no fish no pay guide you're putting down unfairly. I recommend all these guys to people , all the time. I'm not going to have you put down one of them because you think it's me. Not right and I don't want that on my conscience.

Finn, just because he says no fish no pay doesn't mean he keeps everything. I know he does a lot of catch and release. They all do what ever you ask them to do. I send people to all these guys and have never had a complaint on any of them. I'd drop them like a hot rock if someone complained about their behavior or ability.

Now I've told you more than anyone needs to know. You can leave the innocent out of this. I will not post again. I apologize for losing my temper. That's the end of it with me. If you crucify someone now it's on you, but my conscience is clear. My business doesn't matter whether someone on here likes me or not but these other guys deal with the public.

Fishing stop talking about me or trying to defend me. I took care of this and I don't need your help. Not mad just stop.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Cancelled
Cancelled
AG
Doss Pt 2
ag92tx
Well this thread was an interesting read.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
That's no joke! Sucks that some people can't disagree and move on without trying to get in each others neck. People also shouldn't get so butt-hurt, after all this is the internet.
MouthBQ98
AG
I would assume that "no fish, no pay" means if he can't find you anything to catch, it's refundable. Lots of people want to catch something, even of they release it all back.
MouthBQ98
AG
Fwiw, there are some nice hull designs at the place I got my skiff plans from, if anyone wants to dabble in boat building?
cheeky
AG
quote:
but he basically bashed a couple guys who collectively have about 100 years fishing the Rockport/Port-A areas.

did you just call them crotchety old farts!?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
quote:
but he basically bashed a couple guys who collectively have about 100 years fishing the Rockport/Port-A areas.

did you just call them crotchety old farts!?

Well, if the shoe fits...

...like those 2 curmudgeons
sunchaser
AG
Sure fits Doc. Don't know who the other guy is....
NW80
AG
Watch it cupcake!
fishnvet
AG
I don't want to get into the argument on this thread, but it sounds like both sides of the argument are really knowledgeable and just got cross-ways on this thread. Just the internet, I guess.......

WestTxAg, I just wanted to say that even though jets are awesome and get a lot of stuff done, it doesn't sound like that is what you want. I ran jets for years including on a couple that I handmade out of aluminum from scratch. They are a blast, like the motocross bike of the coast. They are agile, maneuverable, run right up on fish because most exhaust and noise are blown up above the water, and are awesome at scouting and finding tailing reds and drum. We have used them to catch shallow fish just like you are wanting many, many times. But, as noted here they are not very good at poling and can be loud at rest. We used them to find fish, then get out and wade. It sounds like you really want a poling skiff and I'd get one. But, I'd really try to get an older, cheaper used one. Because I think you will end up selling it. Not because they aren't also great and have a great purpose, but I bet over time you'll run it and decide you'd like to go another direction, say a big johnboat with a jet to check out the shallowest areas you couldn't get to otherwise. Maybe then an RFL or Shallow Sport because you have more confidence with where you can set down and get up. Over time, you'll want to change focus and do a go fast boat. Then, you might decide a cat is the best of both worlds. Personally I think that is part of the fun of it all and part of the excitement and variety that the coast offers. One of the best fly fishermen I know has a big deep draft boat with a big K top. He just knows where to park and find tailing reds and drum consistently in those out of the way areas. I think after years of running jets I have seen a change in patterns. There are so many capable boats with towers and shallow water setups that the household name areas get swamped on an average nice day, and you can't pole the areas without a lot of traffic. Lighthouse Lakes is covered with kayaks these days, as is up shallow of South Bay. Behind Mud can see scouting boats, tunnels, waders, and a lot of other traffic. If you box in some shallow reds in a corner of Fence Lake, it isn't long before you have company. We are all part of the problem; I know I am. But why not play with a poling skiff a few years and see what you gravitate towards over time? It's all fun. Just my opinion, and I know others have a better perspective.
Sean98
AG
quote:
I can confirm this. they are both old. as. ****.

...but they apparently put ursusguy on fish and there's not much harder in this life keeping ursus' attention long enough that he's ready for a rooster flush or a redfish bite instead of looking at some sort of seagrass or prairiegrass and wondering how tender it will be if he needs to drop trouser and wipe with it.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
If you want a versatile skiff with a jet drive that will run skinny, float skinny and take a beating check out Hog Island Skiffs.

They're rotomolded like a kayak. Alvin Dedeaux runs one on Hill Country rivers. It's not going to run quite as skinny as a flat-bottom but you can pole it.
DayAg!
S
See this is just one other reason I dont fish salt. You clowns have all lost your minds. I'm gonna go find some Crappie.
NW80
AG
"... Fresh water's for drinkin and Saltwater's for fishin."
Capt. Chris Phillips
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
"... whiskey's for drinkin and Saltwater's for fishin."
Finn

FIFM
Just The Tippet
AG
Finn, what's a good email for you? I saw your post in microskiff...might be interested in your Gheenoe.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Finn, what's a good email for you? I saw your post in microskiff...might be interested in your Gheenoe.

Sorry man, had 2 buyers lined up and one backed out so the other guy got it pending funds. Going to a good Ag home.
RockinU
quote:
"... Fresh water's for drinkin and Saltwater's for fishin."
Capt. Chris Phillips
"Freshwater's for sissies"

Capt. Doug Stanford

although I don't think that's exactly how it was first worded...
MouthBQ98
AG
Bays and marshes are also for sissies. Take that skiff into the gulf and catch something that puts up a real fight. Last August I hooked a king on a trout rod offshore and the first run ran 175 yards of braid off my Citica and was down to my mono bAcking.. I eventually landed it.
ag92tx
Kayak shark fishing

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.