Outdoors
Sponsored by

Wanting a skiff for fly fishing the coast

17,058 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TheGroupGuy
Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Centerpole90
AG
Oh damn the luck. My winkie post fell at the top of the next page.
sunchaser
AG

There are numerous people that have places where I do that are avid feather merchants.

Two guys have identical Mavericks....One has a kayak rack on it and he normally fishes out of the kayak. The other guy poles.

One guy has a Stilt. Three of them normally fish together. One is poling with one on the bow. The other is wading a shoreline.

Another has a large Blue Wave. He uses it to carry a unique surf board looking thing. It has a flat stern with a fiberglass platform on the back. He fishes alone.

Two have Ibis's. One uses the twin cavitation trolling motors for stalking. The other actually poles his Ibis.

Another couple have a 20' Boatright with a jet drive on it. He is an avid bird photograper so the flat deck is great for him. On occasion I pole for beer when he is stalking some bird. When the couple goes fishing she is on the front deck with a fly rod and he is poling.
Cancelled
AG
Haha! I've been on this board for years, and I know who is a psychopath and who isn't.

I shouldnt have said hell bays, that sounds like Hells Bay, which was not what I intended to convey. Hells Bays are damned fine boats. But, I meant that I love the Texas coast, but it sucks so bad compared to the keys.
Mythotbetterthanyours
It's not so bad once you get use to fishing with the wind. Honestly.

This front will drop out water. It's falling now just not sure how low it'll get but it squeezes all the fish together. Going to be really good when it warms up. The kind of days where you catch 30-40 keeper reds ( release what you don't need of course) in a short time.
I can't wait. You'll be able to see them from ANY boat lol.

Cancelled
AG
This is just weird. Like Rabbi Glickman weird.
FishingAggie
You are exactly right thot. That tide is cranking out. Gonna be good shortly. I'll see you out there if so. You know where I'll be.

See you met the local expert on here lol. Leave him alone. He'll drive you nuts and is clueless. I'm sure you figured that out....I quit posting because of him. Can you imagine the questions if he knew you. Lol?? Be hilarious. I'll use pm or text you. Just couldn't pass up this opportunity to rib you a little.
ShaggyAggie01
Sean98
AG
quote:
Man you're a ******.
Why can't you just let folks post and NOT try to one-up everything? Let it go...

I definitely think we've identified the ******, I just don't think it is who you think it is.

Also, nice patience by you that you posted and then waited over an hour before you had your sock come back and support your position. Most trolls don't have that kind of patience.

My apologies to the OP who simply asked a question and then watched this poop-show.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
A jet drive 90hp on an 18ft aluminum center console is the way to go. Much more versatile than the Florida style skiffs. As someone who has minor back issues, sitting down in a boat going through chop is impossible.
Mythotbetterthanyours
Lol. Don't know what a sock is other than what I wear. Don't care what you think.

I simply answered a question asked by a a poster trying to help. Someone butted in where it wasn't needed. Pushed my button. That's not the person I want to be but he tries to be the Texags resident expert anytime someone posts.

I'll tell you this. I know more about fishing here than he or his friends will ever know. That's not bragging just a fact. Simply wanted to pass that knowledge on to fellow Aggies without arguing with a know-it-all who doesn't know. I could have helped a lot of you understand a lot. Doesn't matter. I'm done on here. You can have your genius lol and listen to him drop all the names of the places he fishes and how cool
He is. Lol. Sad. He must be very insecure.

I already called my friend and said to leave this alone or my sock as you put it. Gotta look that one up. Poster Finn is good. Knows what he's doing and I respect that and you should listen to what he says.

You can call me whatever you like but you lost a wealth of information that was free. Lol. I apologize if I offended any of you other than sunwannabe. He's so full of crap it makes me sick. Worst part is you guys think he knows what he's talking about. I don't get it. Don't need the stress and there are other people who actually want my knowledge.

Last post. You can have the last shot. Have fun.

Take care all and good fishing.
Caliber
AG
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Don't know how I'm getting drug into this but NW80 and sunchaser have forgotten more about boats & fishing than I know.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
You sure are the only person that has said how much you know about everything to do with fishing. Nobody was doing anything wrong on this thread, but a civilized discussion of people's ideas and opinions were taking place. Then you came along and tried to start a stupid ****ing cat fight.

Why are all of these trolls showing up to the OB lately? Anyway, very glad you are done here. The OB doesn't appreciate hostility towards it's frequent posters. You have acted like a female and gotten your feelings hurt over something extremely trivial.

I believe I speak for most posters on the OB when I say good riddance.
carl spacklers hat
WestTX, get on the water with a guide or someone who already has a boat and seek out those spots where you think you will be fishing most. I'd try to get as many trips on the water as is realistically possible, THEN start looking at boats that will meet your need. As has already been posted, be ready to make some compromises. If you haven't already noticed, your decision will come down to your personal preferences and tastes in a boat. What works for you might not work for the next person but that doesn't really matter.
NW80
AG
WestTx, get a hold of me and I'll take you flyfishing. No better way to get a feel for what you want to do.
I know alot of "fly guides" and am friends with many of them. This guy is not a fly fisherman, hence.....
DayAg!
S
quote:
My apologies to the OP who simply asked a question and then watched this poop-show.

I know, right!
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
This mythot guy is a complete ****ing tool. Was all good input and discussion until he **** all over the thread. Those that have to flaunt how much they know tend to not know much at all. Shocking that he didn't drop hardly any knowledge and just talked **** the whole time. Bye Felcia.
FishingAggie
sorry.
Sean98
AG
quote:
Would have been nice to keep him posting but I doubt he ever will.

It doesn't seem like we're missing much If he doesn't return. But if he does, and behaves like a normal human being, I think we'd all be happy to have him back. Even great knowledge along with all the insufferable baggage he was carrying simply isn't worth the pain.

We read all the posts. I would suggest you do so as well. Read them in context. One person was calling people names and it was your "friend." ... and he may know a lot but any assertion, knowing a lot of the people in this board, that a single person knows/fishes more than all the others combined is borderline retarded.

I'm sorry he couldn't handle someone having a different opinion than him and chose to act like a spoiled brat.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:

There are numerous people that have places where I do that are avid feather merchants.

Um, we prefer the term "fluff chuckers" thank you very much.

sunchaser
AG
Finn....I think I'll stick with feather merchant. It works for Sean and his bow and the trauma surgeon thinks it's demeaning......plus after a drink or two fluff chuckers may not come out right and end a lot worse than "the wind does not blow 15-25mph......everyday."
NW80
AG
Whether he has a "sock" or not, their posting style is the same lol!
FishingAggie
So I get bashed and called a sock for knowing someone? Wow classy.

By the way you may know a lot of fly fisherman. But you don't know alot of them.

My second grade teacher taught me that.

Lol. Bash that. This thread is worse than the zoo and that's saying something.

WestTXag18
Well that was entertaining. Thanks to those who have offered their opinions!

NW80 - thank you so much for that offer. I would love to take you up on that sometime. I've fished on a buddies skiff in south padre but never around Galveston. So seeing the area would really help me figure out what I may want/need.

Finn - you mentioned more versatile options for yourself. What other options are there that may not be suited perfectly for fly fishing, but you could still pole and fly fish out of yet more versatility?
NW80
AG
Dude you've completely showed your A$$.
Go over to "Too Cool" and strut your bottom bumping "no fish/no pay" BS!

Just go away.....

Not you WestTXag18!
You're a free acct., so PMs don't work. But figure it out and I'll show a smidgeon of what Chuck Naiser fishes...
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Finn - you mentioned more versatile options for yourself. What other options are there that may not be suited perfectly for fly fishing, but you could still pole and fly fish out of yet more versatility?

Andros Backwater 18

Not really a poling skiff but a very versatile hull. Able to handle bigger water, be more comfortable out front on the beach/jetties looking for tarpon, even booze-cruisin' or pulling a tube.

Could be poled in a pinch. Most fly fishing lodges in the Yucatan or Belize run panga hulls so if some sawed off little Mexican guy can learn to pole one I figure I can too. At least well enough to do so in a pinch.
FishingAggie
Lol. Not sure what you mean by showing my a$$ and no fish pay but I do want to thank you.

If im getting blasted for having the same style as my friend I'm in good company. I appreciate that.

I deleted my post defending him. Haven't made a single negative comment except about your spelling only because you hammered me for my "style". What are you a psychologist? Thot was right. Waste of time.

The port a saltwater board obviously belongs to certain people and you're guilty by association if you know someone who disagrees.
NW80
AG
Panga Marine has an 18 ft boat also. It's really intriguing. I'd like to know how shallow you can pole it.

The only real problem I see trying to pole that boat is how high the bow on a Panga rides. It'll catch wind ( not unlike the Aluminum boats) and be really hard to track.

BUT, for a seaworthy hull design, you cannot beat a Panga.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
The one I'm looking at has a trolling motor too.

I wouldn't expect to pole it much. Maybe 10-15% of the time. There are actually some good flats in the West Bay system that are 3-foot deep, gin-clear water over grass where poling isn't strictly necessary but I could get away with the trolling motor.

I will not be trying to get way back into the marsh with it.
Centerpole90
AG
quote:
I've fished on a buddies skiff in south padre
Spill it. Well, the skiff anyway, and about the fishing
NW80
AG
Finn one thing I've learned from a lot of the fly fishing guides is that trolling motors spook a lot of fish. It doesn't spook all of them, but a lot of them (Redfish). For Tarpon, you need one to get up on rolling fish quietly.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Gotta accept some compromises. Besides, the wife isn't too keen on the idea of poling my ass around while I fish all day and she loves me. You think my yahoo friends will want to be on the platform?
230Ag
AG
wow - that myto guy really made us Jet Drive guys look foolish. that being said, a jet drive will definitely run shallow as you want to go, but is a real pain to keep on course if you want to pole - with the winds we have on the Texas coast. my 16' jet drive will run in about 2 inches of water (as long as you don't stop - ha ha), but it definitely isn't a boat I would want to try and maneuver by poling while trying to sight cast for reds with a fly rod.
Centerpole90
AG
quote:
The one I'm looking at has a trolling motor too.
I don't know if you have water where you can fish a channel edge but we use TMs more than I thought we would for fly fishing here. They give us the chance to follow the edge of the East Cut out of Mansfield when the wind is not in our favor. The southeast prevailing wind won't let you pole that 'fish rich' edge but with a trolling motor I can hold a heading in the relatively deeper water and sight fish the shallow edge. Same goes for the ICW down south and up in the land cut. They will make fish spookier on the flats but they really do shine and are worth the money if you have fish holding an edge you can't pole no matter how many buddies you have. Goes without saying how much they figure into tarpon fishing.

You'll like that trolling motor a lot; if it is an iPilot you'll love it even MOAR.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.