ChatGPT

28,074 Views | 233 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Hagen95
AustinAg2K
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ExPLK said:

Quote:

At the risk of turning this whole thread political, I think there should be a lot of concern with how this will handle fake news, especially as deep fakes get better. I feel like fake news stories have existed as long as news stories have existed; however, it has gotten much easier for them to spread with social media. Add in AI powered search engine, which have no real ability to tell what is true or false, and you're likely to see stuff spread even faster. This should be a huge concern.

I also worry about the modeling of AI tools like ChatGPT. Depending on the information they used to train them, they can be completely biased taking a strong left/right stance in responses vs an unbiased, objective response. In isolation, it's not that big of a deal but if it becomes a staple when seeking information, then it can shape the way users think. That's a lot of control.

Since the AI is going to provide information it thinks someone wants, I think it's only going to increase the echo chamber. If someone shows an interest in conspiracy theories, it's probably going to just feed into that. The extreme examples I've seen also look like they could be problematic for people with mental health issues.
HECUBUS
AG
What I like about ChatGPT:

You can enter queries such as: Compare Arm and Tensilica and learn a lot in two minutes.

I cranked out a few scripts. It's a great tool for learning with all the code comments and execution instructions and it can speed up scripting for experienced script writers. It's not perfect. I thought it might transform people who don't script into functional script writers. Turns out their main problem is with the verbal description of what they want their script to accomplish.

We have some tiny versions where we control the "goseintos". That is where theses tools shine. And, that is where the bulk of the work is required. They don't like pdf files, but do like doc files.

There's a lot to like and a lot to learn. For us, machine learning is an amazing solution looking for a problem. ChatGPT is amazing. Once the inputs to this kind of tool are perfected, who will still have a job?
RED AG 98
AG
ChatGPT has promise in many areas. But I am more concerned about age-old GIGO than I previously have been. Without devolving into a discussion on actual politics, the results in this thread recently highlighted by Elon are extremely concerning. I do like how this is framed here, not that the AI is necessarily bad or biased but the safety layer placing enforcing the restrictions is 100% biased.

Hagen95
AG
The airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow depends on the type of swallow.
Philip J Fry
AG
Did you know you can send it pictures? I've been writing some MATLab code and was having trouble with a graph. It asked me to upload a picture to Imgur so it could understand the issue.

And yes, ChatGBT is biased because its programmers were biased. Got that to admit that to be today.
dude95
AG
Watched a few youtubes on this - prompt engineering is going to be a thing in the future.

"Answer as if you are a expert in the field of xxx with 30 years of experience. Please ask clarifying questions to get to the correct answer." is referenced in that video.

It's getting crazy out there and we're at the early early stages of this as far as the public is concerned.

I just wonder how they are going to monetize this in the future. Seems like everything is going out the window as far as the old way of doing things.
dude95
AG
Malachi Constant
AG
Version 4 out soon?
dude95
AG
Malachi Constant said:

Version 4 out soon?
4 is out this week - believe you need pro account at least and may need more than that to start using it.

Guys on reddit were showing giving it a link to a picture of a hot air balloon - then asked what would happen if you cut the ropes.

It correctly interpreted that it was a hot air balloon, but then interpreted that the basket would drop and the balloon would fly away. The ability to work through the logic is pretty impressive.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Everyone watched the South Park episode last week right?

I too felt like an old person when I realized people could be using this to text others.
agproducer
AG
I'm just waiting for Skynet.
Philip J Fry
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Did you know you can send it pictures? I've been writing some MATLab code and was having trouble with a graph. It asked me to upload a picture to Imgur so it could understand the issue.

And yes, ChatGBT is biased because its programmers were biased. Got that to admit that to be today.

Interesting. I started a new thread and this time it tells me it can't. Am I going crazy or did they change the rules?
drewser95
AG
Just got an invite from Google to try out Bard, which I guess is their version of ChatGPT. But by the time I saw it, it was two hours later and now I'm waitlisted.

Has anyone tried that one yet?
RED AG 98
AG
drewser95 said:

Just got an invite from Google to try out Bard, which I guess is their version of ChatGPT. But by the time I saw it, it was two hours later and now I'm waitlisted.

I think it'll be great at prose, poetry and literature.

/ba dum tsss.

Alas I am waitlisted as well.
SchizoAg
AG
In 10 years, we won't all be out of a job, but we'll have AI assistants that make us 10x more productive.

Humans have accountability, ChatGPT doesn't. I don't see that changing in the near future.

Tibbers
SchizoAg said:

In 10 years, we won't all be out of a job, but we'll have AI assistants that make us 10x more productive.

Humans have accountability, ChatGPT doesn't. I don't see that changing in the near future.

Precisely, I think of AI as the computer in Star Trek. It's an aid, not a replacement.
Al Bula
AG
SchizoAg said:

im leaning in this direction too. There are LOTS of dumb humans who are always lazily asking for things on the regular on Facebook groups I'm in and even here on texags. It seems there is a space for AI to serve lazy dumb people, and it seems there is a space for people on a quest for (biased) knowledge.

I get that people are looking for recommendations on texags because Aggies generally trust other Aggies, but man it seems like some of the posts on texags are so damn lazy. People would be better served by a platform to do their bidding, but it's not commercially trustworthy yet. I'm sure someone smarter than me is already looking into a consolidated layer that anticipates all the home services you'd want: vet, groceries, laundry/dry cleaning, auto service, pest control, etc… and can deliver them via a voice or text-based request via AI and microservices.

All the DAN nonsense seems scripted. People (in general) don't want to seek out knowledge, they want convenience.

The scary part is becoming too reliant on tech to live your life. At some point so much skill will be lost on how to function because we are reliant on a service-based world delivered right to our homes.

Humans outsourcing their basic functions of hunting and gathering (and mating - another topic) is scarier than AI taking over jobs for now.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Some humans will still have oversight jobs sorting out the immense amount of bs generated by ChatGPT
dude95
AG
It's now supporting plugins. https://www.reddit.com/r/ChatGPT/comments/11zz6ja/chatgpt_is_having_its_ios_store_moment_you_can/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

This is what is available far - Expedia, FiscalNote, Instacart, KAYAK, Klarna, Milo, OpenTable, Shopify, Slack, Speak, Wolfram, and Zapier.

Watch the video in reddit. Tell it you want a chicken salad sandwich. It can find you the best restaurant to get it and book a reservation for you or give you the alternative in a recipe. Will figure out the calories, then put in an instacart order for you to have the ingredients show up at the door.

The discussion in the reddit was also alot on Zapier. That's an integration tool that connects 1000s of applications. Think of it this way - ChatGPT is smart enough to utilize Zapier to connect with any API. Now you are in one place - tell ChatGPT to "do" anything (not just ask a question) - it can get done.

The speed of change on this is like nothing we've seen before.

BTW - I'm using ChatGPT-4 to start coding a mobile app (never done that). I'm using 3 different languages I don't know, setting up SQL server that I've never done before, creating wireframes in tools I'm discovering. I'm going to see if I can get it on the Apple store. I think it should only take a few weeks time to create it.

I'm going to make 10's if not dozens of dollars from that.
dude95
AG
BTW - I completed step 1 of my app. Then detailed out the requirements for ChatGTP. It gave me recommendations of what could be used, then I clarified I was new to it all so make recommendations there.

Quote:

Yes, your familiarity with certain technologies and programming languages can influence the choice of tools for your project. As a beginner, you may want to choose tools that have a gentle learning curve and good documentation.
Considering this, I would recommend the following:
[ol]
  • Backend service:
    • Django (Python): Django is a widely-used web framework with excellent documentation and a relatively gentle learning curve. Since you've already used Python for web scraping, you might find it easier to work with Django. Additionally, Django includes built-in support for database management and user authentication.
  • Mobile app:
    • React Native: React Native is a popular choice for cross-platform mobile app development. It uses JavaScript, which is a versatile language and relatively easy to learn. The React Native community is extensive, and there is a wealth of resources available to help you get started. Additionally, React Native allows you to build both Android and iOS apps using a single codebase, which can save development time.
  • [/ol]When starting with these tools, make sure to follow their official documentation and tutorials to familiarize yourself with the concepts and best practices. As you progress, you can rely on community resources like Stack Overflow and blog posts to help you overcome any challenges that you may encounter.
    Feel free to ask if you need more guidance or have questions about specific aspects of the project.
    Based on the python that I've written so far - I will not be going to stack overflow. I'll ask it for code, then hand over logs when the result doesn't work. I don't bother trying to figure out the issues, just look at results.

I am a technical IT guy - but really I'm a SAP Project Manager. That means I understand some of the technology and get the basics, but I might as well be talking Klingon most of the time writing these tools. I have to get step by step instructions for setting up the tools, writing the code, putting it all together.
    Adverse Event

What bitcoin’s detractors don’t understand is monetary economics, computer science, software engineering, network protocols, and electrical systems.

It ain't much, but it's honest Proof of Work.
    DallasTeleAg
    I've been using it for work in several ways. From assistance with Excel to creating entire emails for me to then make quick edits before sending out.

We are currently going through a 500-phone install for a customer, and migrating a database over to a new platform. Part of that database had 500 rows of phone numbers in a 1xxxxxxxxxx format, and we needed them in (xxx) xxx-xxxx for our port request. My tech was whining that it was going to take him a day and a half to do that, because not many seem to know how to truly use excel and create macros.

I simply asked chatGPT to write me a VBA macro to make that format adjustment down the entire column, and it spit it out for Column A. I told it to adjust for Column I, and it did. I added the macro, ran it, and it actually cut off the last number and kept the '1'. I told it the mistake, it apologized and rewrote the macro with the fix.

Done.

I'm sure I could have spent hours digging around the internet and creating a macro based on little forum posts I found, or my tech could have manually done this, costing me hours on my project. Instead, it was completed in less than 10 minutes.

I've already been pushing this in our office to help speed up so much work. As a business, AI is going to be one of those things you either adapt with, or you will be at a competitive disadvantage.
    Chipotlemonger
    AG
    Username checking out with that phone install.

Good post as well, thanks for sharing!
    LostInLA07
    AG
    I'd show the tech so he understands why his pay was just cut 50%, primarily because he was too lazy to ask ChatGPT.
    DallasTeleAg
    LostInLA07 said:

I'd show the tech so he understands why his pay was just cut 50%, primarily because he was too lazy to ask ChatGPT.
    Well... when it comes to the actual installation, I'd argue there's no one better in the entire Houston metroplex... so...
    LostInLA07
    AG
    Check Beaumont
    fav13andac1)c
    AG
    Just discovered, and of course I ask it something dumb like "Write a short story where Harry Potter doesn't find out he's a wizard."

Once upon a time, in a world much like our own, there was a boy named Harry. He was a kind and curious child who loved to read books and explore the world around him. However, there was something unusual about Harry that he didn't quite understand. Strange things seemed to happen around him from time to time, and he couldn't quite explain them.

One day, when Harry was eleven years old, he received a letter in the mail. It was addressed to him, but the letter was written in a language he couldn't read. Harry assumed it was just a mistake and went on with his day.

But the letters kept coming, each one written in a different language that Harry couldn't understand. His parents were confused, but they assumed it was just some kind of prank.

As the days went on, the letters became more and more persistent, and strange things continued to happen around Harry. Objects would move on their own, and strange lights would flicker in the air around him.

Eventually, a group of people came to Harry's house, claiming to be his distant relatives. They explained to Harry's parents that Harry was actually a wizard, and that he had been accepted into a school for other young wizards just like him.

But Harry's parents were skeptical, and they refused to believe such a fantastical story. They thought it was all just a cruel prank, and they sent the strange people away.

And so, Harry never found out that he was a wizard. He grew up to be a kind and curious man, but he always felt like there was something missing in his life. He never quite understood why strange things seemed to happen around him, and he never knew the incredible world of magic and wonder that existed just beyond his reach. But even though he never became a wizard, Harry lived a full and happy life, filled with adventure and wonder, just like any other ordinary person.
    knoxtom
    I messed around with GPT4 for a little bit and so far I am completely unimpressed and don't see what about it is "intelligence." Clearly the designers put in a lot of ethical limitations and within 3 or 4 queries it started repeating itself and limiting itself. In some jobs GPT4 is a game changer, but in most things... meh.

I would call it a good search engine and good with the rules of grammar. It reminds me of search engines from 15 years ago before they monetized them and took out the actual information. Can it pass the bar? Of course... it is good at looking up the law as codified and it knows how to regurgitate that into an answer box. I am surprised it didn't receive perfect scores on the multistate portion. In fact, that is a good question... why did it only receive a 90% instead of 100%?

Does that make it a lawyer... of course not. Just because you tell a client the law doesn't mean they have a clue how to apply it to what they do. Passing the bar has literally zero to do with being a lawyer

Seeing this... I would hate to be an entry level coder as I have no idea what use you have anymore. I don't think lawyers are in trouble as just because it tells you the law people are generally too dumb to actually follow what it says and lawyers will still need to hand hold everyone. It helps doctors, it does a LOT of engineer's jobs. Everyone needs to look at what they do because you may not be doing it much longer.

The big difference between a brain and this is that brains can do innovative thinking. This can just find stuff and repeat it. It is a search engine. Maybe I don't know some of its capabilities.

dude95
    AG
    knoxtom said:

I messed around with GPT4 for a little bit and so far I am completely unimpressed and don't see what about it is "intelligence." Clearly the designers put in a lot of ethical limitations and within 3 or 4 queries it started repeating itself and limiting itself. In some jobs GPT4 is a game changer, but in most things... meh.

I would call it a good search engine and good with the rules of grammar. It reminds me of search engines from 15 years ago before they monetized them and took out the actual information. Can it pass the bar? Of course... it is good at looking up the law as codified and it knows how to regurgitate that into an answer box. I am surprised it didn't receive perfect scores on the multistate portion. In fact, that is a good question... why did it only receive a 90% instead of 100%?

Does that make it a lawyer... of course not. Just because you tell a client the law doesn't mean they have a clue how to apply it to what they do. Passing the bar has literally zero to do with being a lawyer

Seeing this... I would hate to be an entry level coder as I have no idea what use you have anymore. I don't think lawyers are in trouble as just because it tells you the law people are generally too dumb to actually follow what it says and lawyers will still need to hand hold everyone. It helps doctors, it does a LOT of engineer's jobs. Everyone needs to look at what they do because you may not be doing it much longer.

The big difference between a brain and this is that brains can do innovative thinking. This can just find stuff and repeat it. It is a search engine. Maybe I don't know some of its capabilities.

Your missing the point. Take a look at GPT3.5, then look at GPT 4. Exponential difference. Now think about GPT 5, 6, 7. Those are a year / year and a half increments. What is this going to mean 5 years from now.

Creative thinking is something people keep trying to point out. I'm having it write code for me in a language I've never even close to have used. That code doesn't exist anywhere else. It took instruction and created code that was never put together before.

Granted, I had to continually ask it to refine the code and it's really not good in understanding more than code snippets (~100 lines at a time). While working on one code snippet it forgets about others. That is going to get much better in the future. I will be able to give more complex tasks with less input. In 5 years will it be able to write 10,000 lines of code with minimal input or prompting? That's what I ask of jr developers as they progress to more senior developers. Is that not innovative thinking.

I just created art based in Midjourney. That art has never existed before. Yes - it took input from previously created art. But it made something entirely new. Is that not what artists do? When was the last time that you saw a piece of art that took no references from anything that was done before (image or art)? The fact that we have categories or artists (style, medium, subject matter) means that they drew inspirations from somewhere. When it's a human it's creative - when it's AI it's a copy? By the way - if you can't create art with no reference to anything else - does that mean you don't posses that kind of intelligence?

It's why it's going to be difficult to determine AGI. Take Jarvis from the Avengers - I now think we're no more than 2 years away from that. Would you consider that to be just a search engine?
    pocketrockets06
    AG
    I think you might be overstating some of the significance here. Ultimately these are still Large Language Models and have some fundamental limitations. For example, it knows 2+2=4 primarily because it has read lots of authoritative text where 2+2 is followed by =4. Not because it actually knows addition.

Do I think it could replace lots of the YouTube video watching I do to get code snippets? Probably. Does that make me think it can replace the average programmer. I doubt it.
    pocketrockets06
    AG
    Thinking of this another way: is the world so short of good coders that this alone would make a step change in our standard of living? I doubt it.
    RED AG 98
    AG
    As a programmer of 20+ years I think of it this way -- it frees me up to work on more sophisticated, more complex, more challenging problems. How?

It does a lot of stuff a junior engineer could do. It helps me solve problems more quickly. It's a fantastic reference and allows me to get unstuck right now when I have time. In this way it's significantly better than stackxchange or quora or other forums because it allows me to iterate now I want to and when I have time.

I know many - self included - are very wary of "AI" in general and long term. But I also think most of the general public jump straight to dystopian scifi and don't have even general knowledge of what machine learning really is. It is so much more than just a giant index or lookup table and it absolutely can be "creative" in that something can run that was not explicitly coded functionally.

I have no idea where it's going and we may eventually get to that awful dystopia of the movies without proper ethical bounds. Far scarier than that to me however are the powers that be "artificially" (pun intended) gaming the results to correspond to their approved worldviews. That's not an AI / ML problem per se; it's a general problem with the technocrats in charge regardless of the specific mechanism (boosting of "approved" search results; demoting / ghosting dissenting views; etc...).
    knoxtom
    dude95 said:

knoxtom said:

Your missing the point. Take a look at GPT3.5, then look at GPT 4. Exponential difference. Now think about GPT 5, 6, 7. Those are a year / year and a half increments. What is this going to mean 5 years from now.

Creative thinking is something people keep trying to point out. I'm having it write code for me in a language I've never even close to have used. That code doesn't exist anywhere else. It took instruction and created code that was never put together before.

Granted, I had to continually ask it to refine the code and it's really not good in understanding more than code snippets (~100 lines at a time). While working on one code snippet it forgets about others. That is going to get much better in the future. I will be able to give more complex tasks with less input. In 5 years will it be able to write 10,000 lines of code with minimal input or prompting? That's what I ask of jr developers as they progress to more senior developers. Is that not innovative thinking.

I just created art based in Midjourney. That art has never existed before. Yes - it took input from previously created art. But it made something entirely new. Is that not what artists do? When was the last time that you saw a piece of art that took no references from anything that was done before (image or art)? The fact that we have categories or artists (style, medium, subject matter) means that they drew inspirations from somewhere. When it's a human it's creative - when it's AI it's a copy? By the way - if you can't create art with no reference to anything else - does that mean you don't posses that kind of intelligence?

It's why it's going to be difficult to determine AGI. Take Jarvis from the Avengers - I now think we're no more than 2 years away from that. Would you consider that to be just a search engine?

I 100% agree with every thing you said, but right now I think it is little more than a good search engine and some creative grammar programming.

When real AI comes out, the first thing you do is to tell it to reprogram itself better. If it is truly intelligent then it can create new programming that we humans/engineers never thought of. Within a few years it becomes god mode and either serves or is served by humans as it will no longer be our peer.

The journalists are all going on and on about how it passed the bar exam. I was actually more surprised that it only scored a 90%. I am very very curious why it didn't get a perfect score. But even with knowledge of every law, I know without any doubt in my mind that it could not practice law... yet. It can spew out the law, it can write about it, but I don't see any evidence of true thought in a problem solving scenario.

Let me give you a real life example and tell me how many generations until Chat GPT could figure out a solution...

Lady owns 1.05 acres of land with a house. The government expands a road and takes .15 acres. The law says if your parcel is less than 1 acre then you can not have a septic system, ie her house is getting knocked down. The appraiser damages out the house and the government tells the lady she can't live there anymore. She gets a nice check.

The computer could tell you the law about all of that.

But how many generations until the computer takes the next step and asks the neighbors if any have a way to sell the lady .10 acres of land so she can then assemble the two properties into one, resurvey, bring it to the county engineer, and keep her house... along with all the money she got.

All of those steps are simple for a land use attorney to see, but you aren't going to find them by searching anything in any computer. You have to think about it. And I see zero evidence this thing can think. Again... yet.

This is my point. Chat GPT 4 is pretty cool and everything but it is not and should not be called AI.

It's like those poems and songs people keep posting. Sure they rhyme and sure they have rhythm. But they also suck. I don't think Bob Dylan, Eminem, Tom Petty, or any great lyricists are worrying about this stuff yet because as long as ChatGPT follows rules, it isn't thinking. The greatness of the human mind is its ability to leave the rules behind
    bigtruckguy3500
    drewser95 said:

I've started using it. It's alright. Interesting to play with. But so far, kinda disappointed. Sometimes I'll ask questions it should be able to answer, but I think for liability reasons it basically says "I'm just a language AI, I cannot answer that"
    Mr President Elect
    AG
    Have any of you (programmers) got access to Copilot Chat? I've been on the waitlist since it was announced :/

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.