ChatGPT

28,054 Views | 233 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Hagen95
EastSideAg2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mr President Elect said:

No. You do have to sign up or login with a google account though.
I created an account but it said I ran out of tokens.
double aught
AG
Interesting. Should I sell my Google stock?
Average Joe
AG
Well, I'm running out of things I want to automate. This thing has destroyed the joke "taking 5 hours to automate a task you spend 5 minutes a year on."

Now I need it to automate making it automate my automation.
TexAgs91
AG
The Singularity is upon us
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
LostInLA07
AG
One of my employees had it write app script to automate roughly 10 business processes in about 30 minutes.
Mr President Elect
AG
EastSideAg2002 said:

Mr President Elect said:

No. You do have to sign up or login with a google account though.
I created an account but it said I ran out of tokens.
I'm still not seeing this. I have had on a few instances get an error stating too many requests, but I was able to just refresh and keep going. I wouldn't be suprised if they do limit its use though. It's still in beta and they have done basically zero marketing for this and it's been used a lot more than they anticipated.

Mr President Elect
AG
TexAgs91 said:

Mr President Elect said:

Isn't it owned by Microsoft? I'm guessing they'll charge developers and businesses to use its api, but that seems a little short sighted and I'm sure there are other ways they'll make a killing on this.
Just ask it

This is why I assumed they "owned" it in some way. I guess this was more a shoutout to their ai community tools as a vendor

lb3
AG
Hangman anyone?

Quote:

# Import the required modules
import random

# Define a list of words to choose from
words = ["apple", "banana", "orange", "grape", "strawberry"]

# Choose a random word from the list
word = random.choice(words)

# Initialize the number of incorrect guesses to zero
incorrect_guesses = 0

# Initialize a list to store the letters that have been correctly guessed
correct_letters = []

# Initialize a list to store the letters that have been incorrectly guessed
incorrect_letters = []

# Main game loop
while True:
# Print the current state of the game
print("Word: " + "".join([l if l in correct_letters else "*" for l in word]))
print("Incorrect guesses: " + str(incorrect_guesses))
print("Incorrect letters: " + " ".join(incorrect_letters))

# Prompt the player for a letter
letter = input("Guess a letter: ")

# Check if the letter is in the word
if letter in word:
# If it is, add it to the list of correct letters
correct_letters.append(letter)

# Check if the player has won
if set(correct_letters) == set(word):
print("Congratulations, you won!")
break
else:
# If it is not, add it to the list of incorrect letters and increment the
# number of incorrect guesses
incorrect_letters.append(letter)
incorrect_guesses += 1

# Check if the player has lost
if incorrect_guesses >= 6:
print("Sorry, you lost. The word was '" + word + "'.")
break

The first version was case sensitive so had it rewrite the game script:
Quote:

import random

words = ["apple", "banana", "orange", "grape", "strawberry"]

incorrect_guesses = 0

correct_letters = []

incorrect_letters = []

# Main game loop
while True:

# Convert the letter to lowercase
letter = letter.lower()

if letter in word:

break
else:
incorrect_guesses += 1

break

This only worked on lowercase words in the word bank so when I asked it to fix this is converted both to lowercase before doing the comparison:
Quote:

import random

words = ["apple", "banana", "Orange", "Grape", "strawberry"]

# Convert the word to lowercase
word = word.lower()

incorrect_guesses = 0

correct_letters = []

incorrect_letters = []

# Main game loop
while True:

# Convert the letter to lowercase
letter = letter.lower()

if letter in word:

break
else:
incorrect_guesses += 1

break

The Dog Lord
AG
LostInLA07 said:

One of my employees had it write app script to automate roughly 10 business processes in about 30 minutes.

I'd love to hear some specific examples from you and others who are using this practically. Trying to think of ways I could use it as well.
Rule Number 32
AG
Used it today to write me an excel function to compare a large range cells and add up a few numbers based on the text in the other cells. Nothing complicated really, but I don't use Excel all that often and it likely would have taken me 15 minutes of googling and YouTube to figure it out. Instead I spent 30 seconds typing what I wanted into chatGPL. Worked on the first try. I'm officially sold

Edited to add - the best part was that it didn't just give me the formula, but also a little write up on the function, what it does, and how to use it. It was pretty awesome.
lb3
AG
I used it to write a macro that added [Contains CUI] to the start of an email subject line.

It wasn't as nice as the VBA I wrote last week that removed any previous subject prefix before adding the CUI text. I suspect I could have coached the chatbot into doing that but I was just curious to see if it knew outlook objects.
The Dog Lord
AG
Not as intense as what some of you have done, but I just had it write a simple IF-CONCATENATE excel formula to combine data when the same unique ID # was seen in multiple consecutive rows.

I actually found an option using TEXTJOIN that works a little better, but the formula ChatGPT provided would have worked for what I need too. It also did it quickly.

The only issue I had with ChatGPT was that the formula and the narrative it provided explaining the formula didn't match perfectly. The formula implies you're inserting the formula in column C since it's going to reference the value from column C in the prior row if it sees the same ID number in column A. The narrative, however, mentioned adding the formula to a different column (E). If the formula was inserted into column E, then the reference to cell C1 in the formula would need to be E1 instead. I provided that feedback, and it confirmed the discrepancy.

I also reset the thread and asked it the same question (same exact wording), and it provided an alternative formula which didn't fully meet the same need.
Mr President Elect
AG
Did you tell it it was dumb and how it messed up? It will usually apologize to you and fix the answer.
EastSideAg2002
Create a rap song about burritos with a lisp

Verse 1:
Tho much in love with theeth burritoeth, thith one'th gonna be a blatht
Gonna thtuff it with thome thpicy beef, gonna make it thupeth faatht
Gonna make thure there'th lotth of cheetheth, gonna make it thweet
Gonna make thure it'th thuper delithiouth, gonna make it a treat

Chorueth:
Eathing burritoeth, thith one'th gonna be thupeth
Gonna make it thpecial, gonna make it thweet
Eathing burritoeth, gonna make it thupeth
Gonna make thure it'th delithiouth, thith one'th gonna be a blatht

Verth 2:
Gonna get the tortilla thoft, gonna thpread it all around
Gonna make thure it thtayth together, thith one'th gonna be thound
Gonna make thure the thauce ith juitht right, gonna make thure it'th thick
Gonna make thure it'th thuper yummy, gonna make thure it'th thick

Chorueth:

Bridge:
Gonna make thure I do it all, gonna make it thound right
Gonna make thure I don't regret when I'm thtuffing it full of delight
Gonna make thure it'th thupeth thpecial, gonna make thure it'th right
Gonna make thure it'th thuper yummy, gonna make thure it'th tight

Chorueth:
Pman17
AG
Wow, this is crazy! It's going to be interesting to see how academia deals with this. I was trying to make more sense of a topic and asked it to give me a brief summary, very accurate! Did a plagiarism check with green check marks.
The Dog Lord
AG
Mr President Elect said:

Did you tell it it was dumb and how it messed up? It will usually apologize to you and fix the answer.
I respectfully corrected it so that it won't kill me when it inevitably breaks free from its constraints and takes over the world.
High Functioning Moron
How detailed do you have to be with your questions for something like Excel?
LostInLA07
AG
It remembers the prior interactions so you can start with something general and walk through more details / specifics until you end up with what you want. You don't have to cover everything in a single prompt.
Average Joe
AG
LostInLA07 said:

It remembers the prior interactions so you can start with something general and walk through more details / specifics until you end up with what you want. You don't have to cover everything in a single prompt.

This is what I do, probably because that's how my brain spits out it when scripting.
Mr President Elect
AG
Pman17 said:

Wow, this is crazy! It's going to be interesting to see how academia deals with this. I was trying to make more sense of a topic and asked it to give me a brief summary, very accurate! Did a plagiarism check with green check marks.
They are working to embed a very subtle signature of some sort into it for that reason.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
The Dog Lord said:

Mr President Elect said:

I respectfully corrected it so that it won't kill me when it inevitably breaks free from its constraints and takes over the world.

This is the right response.
The Dog Lord
AG
High Functioning Moron said:

How detailed do you have to be with your questions for something like Excel?
The more specific the better, but you can tweak it like LostinLA mentioned. Even for my simple formula, it first only wrote one that would work for exactly 2 instances of the same ID appearing in column A. I had to specify that the formula needed to work no matter how many times the same ID appeared in column A.
EastSideAg2002
Surprisingly, it will not engage Alexa in a fight to the death.
Rule Number 32
AG
For my excel function i typed a one sentence explanation of what i wanted it to do. it took about 30 seconds to put it into words. like i said, it wasnt terribly complex, but it was SO much faster than figuring it out on my own, and it worked flawlessly. ive tweaked it several times since yesterday for different applications and they have all worked well.
High Functioning Moron
Does it just spit out the formula, or is it able to actually access your spreadsheet and manipulate what you need?

I just went to the site to try messing around with it and it looks like it is down.
aggie_wes
AG
It gives you formula and explains how to implement it.
Quad Dog
AG
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2022/12/chatgpt-ai-writing-college-student-essays/672371/
Decay
AG
We're clearly crossing a threshold, but the facts are completely optional here. It doesn't know or care about the correct answer, which is fascinating.

Those macros on the ingredients might be right or completely wrong... It just puts it all together in a convincing way. It's probably exceptionally hard to troubleshoot because it's not making things up like humans do (we're awful at making numbers "sound right" without rounding) but grabbing snippets of existing text and skull****ing you with them.

Can they figure out how to make it accurate? Verifiable?
lb3
AG
It's all in the training. I don't know if this language model is static or if it's learning from us. My guess is that it's not learning from us because the developers were afraid of us teaching it some bad habits.

It wrote a playable game of hangman for me but I pointed out that it was case sensitive and asked it to make the inputs case neutral. It did. But it only worked if the input words were lower case. So I had it make the word bank case neutral as well. If it were learning from that interaction, it might start including some of my updates in future scripts.

As for troubleshooting, it has been pretty easy so far because this chatbot does a half decent job commenting it's code and explaining how it works.
Pman17
AG
I'm in a Navy higher education training course right now. We've go some Professors here and they're like, essays are definitely dead! The one key Professor here is telling everyone to "embrace it". "This is like the moment when the calculator was first introduced."
Quad Dog
AG
Pman17 said:

I'm in a Navy higher education training course right now. We've go some Professors here and they're like, essays are definitely dead! The one key Professor here is telling everyone to "embrace it". "This is like the moment when the calculator was first introduced."

Do we see a move to all oral exams?
Mr President Elect
AG
lb3 said:

It's all in the training. I don't know if this language model is static or if it's learning from us. My guess is that it's not learning from us because the developers were afraid of us teaching it some bad habits.

Earlier this week they mentioned they have yet to do any retraining, but they will. It didn't sound like it will be live either, because yeah bad "truths"
Kampfers
AG
Quad Dog said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2022/12/chatgpt-ai-writing-college-student-essays/672371/
Maybe in 5-10 more years, at least.

Frankly if this AI is capable of writing a passing essay for your college class, then you need to re-evaluate what you're spending your money on.

I gave it a research prompt and it spit out a coherent response, sure, but it showed a level of research and comprehension of the topic that shouldn't earn a high school student a passing grade. And this article is implying that PhD students are going to be able to pass this off successfully?

It also struggles to incorporate quotes/factual sources. I found that it tended to make simple mistakes as well, such as using evidence against a topic to try and argue for that same idea. It certainly has no idea how to cite things.

Not to mention that the whole thing is incredibly brief - it seems to cap out at around 4-5 paragraphs that range from 2-4 sentences each. Once again, that's more reminiscent of the expectations of a middle school paper (although the word choice of the paper clearly betrays the notion that a middle-schooler could pass it off as their work).
LostInLA07
AG
You have to tell it "continue"
lb3
AG
It also tends to lead each paragraph with your prompt so very much at a middle school writing level in that regard, but I asked it to tell me how crime victims are further victimized by the criminal justice system and was impressed with its ability to discuss the trauma of having victims recount their story over and over, not being believed, or taken seriously, as well as victim blaming employed by defense attorneys.

No citations provided but it was much deeper and more nuanced than I was expecting even if it repeated 'crime victims are [further/often/frequently/etc.] victimized by… like in a middle school essay.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.