ChatGPT

27,500 Views | 233 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Hagen95
Mr President Elect
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am surprised there aren't any post on here regarding it. Looks to be a game changer. If you haven't already, I highly recommend you guys check it out https://chat.openai.com/

It is highly trained in dialog, so you can talk to it like a human. A couple of examples.

bkag9824
AG
I'm a dummy and don't fully understand the implications.

But at face value without any additional research, that seems like a massive leap forward in productivity/efficiency for any number of work tasksā€¦
Mr President Elect
AG
Yeah, I have been playing with it a lot this week and it does seem like a massive leap forward. I have seen some complaints that is does give incorrect answers at times, so things need to be verified. But I have been using it to get quick cooking recipes, even asking it to simplyify the ingredient list when it gives me too many for a dish. Also, have told it a few items I have in the pantry and ask it to give me a recipe/instructions limited to only those items.

As far as coding goes, I have asked to to rewrite functions in some code bases to be more efficient, follow better styling practices, or add a mundane feature (ie, random color generator that omits very light and very dark shades). It does make errors, but it does give me an extra set of eyes to maybe attempt a problem from a different prospective).

I have also asked it to re-write text in marketing materials to be more engaging. I don't always like the results, but again another set of eyes.

google result vs chatgpt:
CDub06
AG
I've also been playing with it this week. But mainly to do things like write rap songs dissing ducksā€¦

Mr President Elect
AG
Wow, looks prime to transform the duck rap industry
Dr. Horrible
The Aggie football song it wrote for me. In the style of ac/dc
Quote:

Verse 1:
Aggie football, oh so bad
Never seems to win a game
In the stands, we groan and sigh
As we watch them fumble and fall behind

Chorus:
Aggie football, such a shame
We thought you had a chance to win
But once again, you let us down
Aggie football, you're the worst in town

Verse 2:
The other teams, they all rejoice
As they watch you crash and burn
Your defense is weak and slow
Your offense can't score a single point

Chorus:

Bridge:
We'll keep on cheering, even though it's hopeless
We'll support our team, no matter what the score
We'll keep on believing, that one day you'll turn it around
Aggie football, we'll never give up on you

Chorus:
Aggie football, you're the worst in town.
kb2001
AG
Username checks out
Average Joe
AG
Well, I just had it rewrite a few scripts I've written for work, expanded their functionality, then converted them from Python to c++ in about 45 seconds. And they work.

Holy crap.
bkag9824
AG
Average Joe said:

Well, I just had it rewrite a few scripts I've written for work, expanded their functionality, then converted them from Python to c++ in about 45 seconds. And they work.

Holy crap.

This is what I'm talking about. Even if it makes mistakes, it seems like it will be many orders of magnitude faster than humans slogging through the same process.
Not a Bot
AG
This is the end of everything.
MaroonStain
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

The Aggie football song it wrote for me. In the style of ac/dc
Quote:

Verse 1:
Aggie football, oh so bad
Never seems to win a game
In the stands, we groan and sigh
As we watch them fumble and fall behind

Chorus:

Verse 2:
The other teams, they all rejoice
As they watch you crash and burn
Your defense is weak and slow
Your offense can't score a single point

Chorus:

Bridge:
We'll keep on cheering, even though it's hopeless
We'll support our team, no matter what the score
We'll keep on believing, that one day you'll turn it around
Aggie football, we'll never give up on you

Chorus:
Aggie football, you're the worst in town.

10 year old Griefer account...
HossAg
AG
Wtf. I gave it a prompt to write a short code for excel similar to something I wrote at work the other day, and it spit out a VBA code almost identical to mine in about 2 seconds. Took me like 20 minutes to do it at work.
Dr. Horrible
It passed the wife Turing test of creating a hallmark Christmas movie plot.
Mr President Elect
AG
I am now having it create my shopping lists for me, and incorporating having it "tabularize" things where applicable, similar to this:
LostInLA07
AG
I had it write a story about A&M's offensive coordinator search based on Charlie and the Chocolate Factoryā€¦important stuff!

Once upon a time, Texas A&M head football coach Jimbo Fisher was on the hunt for a new offensive coordinator. He had heard rumors of a mysterious coordinator who was the best in the business, but no one seemed to know where to find him.

After months of searching, Coach Fisher finally received a letter from Brian Kelley, the eccentric head football coach of LSU and the owner of the Wuhan Virology Lab. The letter stated that a golden ticket had been hidden inside a box of Aggie-brand cereal, and whoever found it would be given the opportunity to become the new offensive coordinator for the A&M football team.

Determined to find the golden ticket, Coach Fisher searched high and low, finally discovering it hidden inside a box of cereal that he had purchased at a local grocery store. Excited by his good fortune, he followed the instructions on the ticket and arrived at the gates of the virology lab.

Inside, he was greeted by Coach Kelley, who showed him around the facility. Coach Fisher marveled at the workers who were tirelessly producing covid tests. However, as they went about their work, they constantly ranted about their political beliefs, much to Coach Fisher's annoyance.

As they continued their tour, Coach Fisher and Coach Kelley came across a room filled with footballs made entirely of the latest generation of covid test kits. Coach Fisher was in awe, but Coach Kelley had other plans. He revealed that the real prize was not the test kits, but the opportunity to find the secret genius Oompa Loompa who was the best offensive coordinator in the business.

Coach Fisher accepted the challenge, and with the help of the Oompa Loompas, he searched the virology lab for the secret coordinator. After hours of searching, he finally stumbled upon the Oompa Loompa who was not only an expert in offensive strategies, but also a brilliant scientist who had developed a new treatment that would give the players superhuman strength and endurance.

Excited by his discovery, Coach Fisher offered the Oompa Loompa the position of offensive coordinator for the A&M football team. The Oompa Loompa accepted, and together they worked to create the most unstoppable offense in college football.

The team was on track to win the national championship, but just before kickoff, evil Joe Biden and Anthony Fauci ordered a covid lockdown, halting the game and crushing the Aggies' hopes of victory. Despite this setback, Coach Fisher and the Oompa Loompa continued to work together, determined to bring a championship to Texas A&M.

In the end, their hard work paid off, and the Aggies finally won the national championship. Coach Fisher and the Oompa Loompa were hailed as heroes, and they lived happily ever after, their partnership hailed as one of the greatest in the history of college football.
jg07
AG
So you're saying there's a chance?
HossAg
AG
I feel like you are leaving out parts of your prompt here
lb3
AG
Tell me about the Artemis mission in the form of a limerick.
Quote:

Here's one possible limerick about the Artemis mission:

NASA's got a new plan,
To land on the moon again,
With Artemis, they'll go,
And explore where no one's been,
To help pave the way for a moon base, they'll know.
TexAgs91
AG
If I tell it George is shorter than Larry, it can list them in order of height.

If I tell it George is shorter than Larry and that Dave is the second tallest, it's stumped when I ask it to list them in order of height.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
chigger
AG
Mind me asking how you formatted the request? Did you just paste code in? I may see if I can play with it some tomorrow.
Mr President Elect
AG
chigger said:

Mind me asking how you formatted the request? Did you just paste code in? I may see if I can play with it some tomorrow.
You don't really have to worry about formatting, just type the question and use ctrl+shift to paste the code on the line below. It's a chat bot too, so you can ask it follow ups or if it does something wrong, or you want it to write a unit test for the code it just gave you, you can ask it as follow-ups.

The only gotcha so far, is sometimes it won't complete the answer if it is kind of long. Just type "continue..." and it will. the "..." are necessary too, lol.
TexAgs91
AG
I was trying to write an android app to retrieve json data from an api and display it. I'm a C/C++ programmer and haven't programmed on the android before, and just learned that they use a language called Kotlin. I've been trudging through youtube videos over a few evenings to try and get it to work, but no luck.

Then comes chat.openai.com

OMG....
I just ask it how to do something and it gives me code. There's a part of it I don't understand, so I ask it to explain that part. Unlike most chatbots, this remembers what we're talking about and gives me a detailed explanation.

It doesn't quite work at first, so I give it the specific json format of the data I'm using and it updates the code example it's given me to use that specific data, and that fixed it.

The code is now able to retrieve data from the api. And so I continue developing in Kotlin to process the data, and if I need any examples of how to do something in kotlin, I just ask, and it gives me working examples, like "in kotlin how do I get the next word after a substring"... bam, there's the code. Or I ask it "in kotlin how do I make a callback that is called when a class member variable changes?"... Bam!

After a couple hours I now have an android app that reads, processes and displays data from an api. I'm just stunned.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
Average Joe
AG
chigger said:

The first time I pasted it in and had it add a few things. It didn't have an issue at all.

The next time I just told it what I wanted the script to do and it wrote it from scratch. It was damn close to what I wrote, but a little neater. Then I just told it to convert to C++ by literally typing "convert it to c++". Honestly, I had no use for it to do that, I just wanted to see what it could do.
EastSideAg2002
Ah man, you got to pay for this stuff
Mr President Elect
AG
No. You do have to sign up or login with a google account though.
Tergdor
AG
Assuming this becomes the big thing that can replace google, I wonder how you monetize it. If you don't go to websites anymore since the ai just tells you the answer and websites shut down due to lack of ad revenue, does it still have access to the information?

Still waiting for OpenAI to become publicly traded. It'll probably never happen.
Mr President Elect
AG
Isn't it owned by Microsoft? I'm guessing they'll charge developers and businesses to use its api, but that seems a little short sighted and I'm sure there are other ways they'll make a killing on this.
Tergdor
AG
I believe Microsoft is only an investor and not an owner. I might be wrong on that.

Looking into it more, it looks like it's a partnership between them since Microsoft runs Azure through OpenAI, but I don't think it's owned by Microsoft.
TexAgs91
AG
Mr President Elect said:

Isn't it owned by Microsoft? I'm guessing they'll charge developers and businesses to use its api, but that seems a little short sighted and I'm sure there are other ways they'll make a killing on this.
Just ask it

I identify as Ultra-MAGA
lb3
AG
TexAgs91 said:

Mr President Elect said:

Just ask it

Insaw a tweet earlier that they were going to give it access to the Bing search engine. My guess is that if Elon is an investor, it will get rolled into twitter at some point.

Elon was asking about the cost per chat and it was in single digit cents which is quite expensive so they'll need a way to monetize it eventually.
Mr President Elect
AG
He mentioned that it was originally supposed to be open sourced and non-profit, but that is no longer the case. It had access to all of Twitter's data, but Elon has said he has paused that for the time being, since it no longer will be open source and non-profit
Dr. Horrible
I guarantee you that my company would pay for this, if we could train it on our own internal knowledge bases and have the results be returned to an internally authenticated user. There is your monetization strategy.
Jason_Ag98
AG
lb3
AG
The site is getting crushed today after going viral yesterday.

It was nice while it lasted.

It reminds me of Google first being released and everyone instantly recognizing it was a step change in technology. If OpenAI goes public, I'm going to invest a ridiculous portion of my savings there.
aggie_wes
AG
Holy ***** Just signed up, 80% of my work is writing emails or meeting summaries and it looks like this thing will do it 95% as well as I can but in seconds instead of minutes.

Insert shutupandtakemymoney.gif here

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.