*** Apple Far Out - Sept 7th Event ***

8,012 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by WES2006AG
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have the 11 pro as well. But my battery health is down to around 75%. So it's either upgrade or get a new battery. Don't see the need to upgrade, but I feel like with the incentives providers are offering cost could be a wash….
StringerBell
AG
ordered the new watch but i was gonna do that anyways.

if that elite watch hadn't been 49mm i would have probably gone with that.
WES2006AG
AG
I ordered a new watch as well. Went with the Series 8. The new Ultra model looks cool but I just don't need all of the pro workout features they are advertising with it. The only thing that made it a tough decision was the fact that Ultra was titanium.
evan_aggie
AG
Also ordered an 41mm 8 to replace the wife's 5.

Really excited to see how the family planning stuff works out. This is exactly the sort of feature we really need.
Swede
AG
New watch seems worth it when its time to upgrade, rather than buying a new dive computer and watch. I've been limping my iphone 12 pro along since I have done everything imaginable to destroy it after my applecare ran out, so 14 pro at least seems like a significant upgrade.
Engine10
AG
Holding the line for USB C iPhone 15 - fully expecting Apple to title the event: "one cord to rule them all". Just not enough here to push my 12 Pro out the door just yet, unless the battery fails.
rynning
AG
My 4 year old XR is still in near-perfect condition, but not quite as zippy as it once was. Not going to wait another year to upgrade. Looking forward to all the upgrades.
RVAg02
AG
My XS got a new battery but still isn't acting right. Getting the 14 Pro
StringerBell
AG
That notification thing around the notch at the top is really cool. Smart move.
Pman17
AG
Thought about upgrading my Series 5 this year, but idk. Battery seems alright. The Ultra is tempting.

Waiting for the iPhone 15. Nothing jumped out with me with the 14 pro max to upgrade from the 12 pro max. The iPhone 15 will have USB-C because the EU is doing a better job at tech regulations than US. Yea, just need RCS but Apple will never add RCS because they literally said iMessage makes parents buy their kids iPhones.
double aught
AG
What's RCS?
91AggieLawyer
AG
Never gone more than 4 years between upgrades but I'm going to wait another year -- had an XS since 2018 and while my battery is starting to struggle, nothing else about my phone seems to be. It still runs everything I need it to run fine and doesn't have any wear or tear. Plus, putting off the cost and waiting for USB-C to align with my iPads should be a big plus. Probably going to bite the bullet on a watch, though. Never thought I'd ever do that, but the ruggedness has gotten my attention and I want something I can run/be active with.
El_duderino
Looks like XR trade in promo is only $350 for the 14 series and still $700 for the 13 series
evan_aggie
AG
XR trade in is $350!?? That's good.

I need to check my XS value.
Civen
AG
double aught said:

What's RCS?
The next iteration of texting standards.

SMS (old texts, limited characters)
>
MMS (Longer messages, can include pictures and video that look terrible on modern phones)
>
RCS (read receipts, full size pics/video, join/leave groups, basic reactions)

It would substantially improve the experience of cross platform texting, and as a consumer I think everyone should be for it regardless of what they personally use.

edit to add: even if 100% of your social circle is using iMessage, having RCS as the fallback instead of SMS/MMS would still be an improvement
evan_aggie
AG
So ppl can use WhatsApp like a lot of my Android (and iPhone ) friends use.

Google seems upset that WhatsApp fills a niche they wanted with Google Messaging and IPhone is closed.

RCS also doesn't support end-end encryption.
Eskimo D. Walker
AG
Civen said:

double aught said:

What's RCS?
The next iteration of texting standards.

SMS (old texts, limited characters)
>
MMS (Longer messages, can include pictures and video that look terrible on modern phones)
>
RCS (read receipts, full size pics/video, join/leave groups, basic reactions)

It would substantially improve the experience of cross platform texting, and as a consumer I think everyone should be for it regardless of what they personally use.
Apple cares about two things primarily: Security and User Experience. You can believe this is true or you can believe this is just Apple's attempt to keep people using Apple Messages because it locks them into the iPhone. Personally, I believe both can be true.

RCS is not a new standard. In fact, it was introduced by the GSM Association over a decade ago (https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/googles-fed-up-with-apple-not-using-rcs/).

Quote:

As a standard, RCS isn't even particularly new. It was proposed over a decade ago by the GSM Association, a worldwide alliance of mobile network operators, as a new mobile industry standard intended to replace the aging SMS/MMS technology.
And end-to-end encryption of messages is not part of the RCS standard. It was added by Google as part of their proprietary messaging application which has to be implemented by the cellular carriers in addition to the applications using RCS (I believe Sprint using WhatsApp is the only combination of this available today).

Additionally, Google's version of RCS is only end-to-end encrypted sometimes -- between two individual devices using Google's Messenger app -- never for group messages, even if they are all using Google's Messenger app.
(https://www.android.com/google-features-on-android/summer-2021/#summer-2021-end-to-end-contents)

So, it's not quite as cut and dry as you believe -- just "support RCS" to improve the consumer experience. The RCS Standard (as proposed by Google) is a modified standard based on Google's proprietary modifications to the standard.

There are a lot of caveats that actually would degrade the security and user experience for iOS users. And yes, by keeping Apple Messages proprietary it locks me into Apple's ecosystem. But until the user experience is superior on other platforms, I'm OK with that.

Pman17
AG
evan_aggie said:

XR trade in is $350!?? That's good.

I need to check my XS value.
Yes, that's how much I sold my iPhone X for last year.

I'd recommend checking with a carrier for trade-ins, if you're willing to lock yourself in for 3 years. Some are giving away $1000 for any phone as long as the phone is in great condition because they're all trying to get everyone off of LTE so they can phase it out in the future like they just did with 3G.
evan_aggie
AG
I see now. That was carrier value + lock.

Yeah, I just buy unlocked phones. Apple currently offering $140 for XR and $150 for XS. I'll probably just keep it around as a spare.
Civen
AG
https://www.macrumors.com/2022/09/08/tim-cook-on-ios-rcs-buy-your-mom-an-iphone/

This whole argument really sucks. I'm not fanboying for google or apple here... I think they're both looking out for their interests alone to the detriment of all the rest of us.

RCS isn't perfect, and it's using Googles proprietary implementation because networks and vendors were all dragging their feet and not working together. And all that again was to our detriment.

Apple wants to vendor lock with iMessage.

Whatsapp drags facebook Meta into the mix.

Signal, Telegram, skype, etc... all additional ways to fragment the user experience.

This is really just pointless *****ing between companies, so what I'm looking for is the simplest solution. They want to make money, I just want to hit 'send' and not worry about who/what/when/where/why/how it gets to the destination.
AgsWin2011
AG
I was hoping for a new iPad Pro announcement. I guess they usually do those at a different time. Wasn't there a rumor for an October announcement? I have the 2018 iPad Pro and it still works flawlessly. Just wanting a bigger screen than my 11".
powerbelly
AG
AgsWin2011 said:

I was hoping for a new iPad Pro announcement. I guess they usually do those at a different time. Wasn't there a rumor for an October announcement? I have the 2018 iPad Pro and it still works flawlessly. Just wanting a bigger screen than my 11".
I am also waiting for the next iPad Pro announcement. My 2017 has started struggling a bit.
jakester03
AG
I'm currently on an XR that needs upgrading. $350 trade in from ATT on the iPhone 14 but $700 trade in on the 13 makes me think I should go the 13 route. Thoughts?
WES2006AG
AG
jakester03 said:

I'm currently on an XR that needs upgrading. $350 trade in from ATT on the iPhone 14 but $700 trade in on the 13 makes me think I should go the 13 route. Thoughts?
That is probably what I would do. There isn't a huge difference between the 13 and 14. At least not enough to forgo an extra $350 in bill credits.
jakester03
AG
Thanks. Now to decide 13 vs 13 pro vs 13 pro max.
RVAg02
AG
WES2006AG said:

jakester03 said:

That is probably what I would do. There isn't a huge difference between the 13 and 14. At least not enough to forgo an extra $350 in bill credits.
But then you won't get to party on Dynamic Island
lb3
AG
HossAg said:

There is no way these things have 2x the noise cancellation.
A 3 dB drop in background noise is achievable. May not even be noticeable to most users however.
WES2006AG
AG
RVAg02 said:

WES2006AG said:

jakester03 said:

But then you won't get to party on Dynamic Island
Branding a notch the "dynamic island" is the most Apple thing ever.
htxag09
AG
Agree on name. I may be in the minority but I think it has promise. I could see myself leaving Astros scores up there, etc.

But we'll see how it actually plays out. Said it earlier, but seems similar to the mac touchbar that's been phased out….
Eskimo D. Walker
AG
jakester03 said:

Thanks. Now to decide 13 vs 13 pro vs 13 pro max.
The camera array improvement on the 13 Pro is noticeably better than my wife's 13 non-pro. If you're into photography it's worth the investment. If that's not important, I don't know of a reason to go Pro over regular.
RVAg02
AG
htxag09 said:

Agree on name. I may be in the minority but I think it has promise. I could see myself leaving Astros scores up there, etc.

But we'll see how it actually plays out. Said it earlier, but seems similar to the mac touchbar that's been phased out….
I agree. I'm actually intrigued on what can be done with it. Just think the name is stupid.
WES2006AG
AG
Agreed, I have more of a problem with the marketing than with implementation. Looks like a cool idea.
El_duderino
13 pro. Great battery life, upgraded from 13, but not massive like the pro max
htxag09
AG
AggieFrog said:

36-60 hours battery life... not great.

https://instagr.am/p/CiQ4k_lMGZ6
Edit: not sure why the post isn't working….but a garmin post with a picture of their 2012 fenix
Quote:

We remember the first time our watch had up to 50 hours of battery life in GPS mode ... #tbt
StringerBell
AG
I have the 13 pro max and the battery life is really solid. Best I've had on an iPhone

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.