Raspberry Pi NES build

17,607 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by flakrat
maverick2076
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm not gonna lie...that article might as well have been in Greek.
DanHo2010
AG
So I was reading over this thread and I guess my question is this:

Is there any real benefit to running the emulators on a Pi other than it just being a fun DIY project? I currently have a gaming pc hooked up to my big screen that I run RetroArch on for this kind of stuff. While there are usually some annoying config issues whenever you install a new core, it seems much simpler than setting up a dedicated box. Of course, I guess not everyone already has a pc they can use for this purpose.
tamusc
AG
DanHo2010 said:

Is there any real benefit to running the emulators on a Pi other than it just being a fun DIY project? I currently have a gaming pc hooked up to my big screen that I run RetroArch on for this kind of stuff. While there are usually some annoying config issues whenever you install a new core, it seems much simpler than setting up a dedicated box. Of course, I guess not everyone already has a pc they can use for this purpose.
Other than having a cheap, small, low powered box, no, there's not really any benefit that I can think of.
Ark03
AG
DanHo2010 said:

Is there any real benefit to running the emulators on a Pi other than it just being a fun DIY project? I currently have a gaming pc hooked up to my big screen that I run RetroArch on for this kind of stuff.
For you, maybe not. I have one PC in the house in my office using a normal sized screen, so I wanted a cheap system I could set up to use on the TV in the family room without tying up my PC. This made perfect sense to me, as now the kids can play Mario or the wife can play Zelda while I'm in the office working.

Alternatively I could have spent 3x as much on a cheap PC to do the same thing, but then I'd still have a computer to hide somewhere and wires to run. With a Raspberry Pi I did it on the cheap in a tiny box, with just power and HDMI cables to worry about - no cables going around the house to get to a PC I have hidden in a closet somewhere.
Average Joe
AG
DanHo2010 said:

It's relatively cheap and mobile. I take mine to family gatherings for the kids (and some adult competitions) or on trips I stay in a hotel. At less than $100 all in price with 3 controllers it's a nice, easy setup.
DanHo2010
AG
Makes sense. Hadn't thought about the portability aspect but that is a big one. I might have to look into it just for that.
AW 1880
AG
I got all of my stuff this evening. The SD card has NOOBS preloaded. I have no idea what to do now as far as adding an emulator, ROMs, or other software. Any help would be appreciated.
tamusc
AG
AW 1880 said:

I got all of my stuff this evening. The SD card has NOOBS preloaded. I have no idea what to do now as far as adding an emulator, ROMs, or other software. Any help would be appreciated.

This article posted at the beginning of this thread does a great job walking you through everything.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-retro-game-console-498561192
AW 1880
AG
That seems pretty straightforward but the preloaded stuff on the SD card is confusing me a little. Do I need to delete that or just ignore it?
Javelina
AG
Wipe the card and start from scratch.
Ag_of_08
AG
Wonder if there is a cartridge stl i could print and stick a pi in....
AW 1880
AG
I just got through playing NES and SNES games for the last two hours. Thanks to those who posted on this thread. The instructions on the link above were pretty much idiot proof.
Ag_of_08
AG
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1887826

Would probably cost 5$ to build in plastic, few days to print. I'd print it for the cost of plastic if someone wants one.
Charlie Delta
Aggie MHA said:

You need special equipment for ROM dumping. Just go to emuparadise. It's a safe site. I trust it more than torrents. You can DL individual ROMS or entire sets for a system.

---

The lack of Sega Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, & 32X love in all these recent emulation threads concerns me!

You guys should also be playing the handhelds via emu: GB, GBC, GBA, Sega GG.

If you're 8 bit fans, don't forget to give the Atari 7800 some attention!

If you're a big retro nerd like me, get into Turbo Grafx 16/PC Engine.

Are you all not worried about the legality of downloading all these ROMs?

I don't think nintendo even thinks it is legal to rip the ROMs from game cartridges you already own.

There is a guy I know who makes these rapsberry pi consoles and sells them with thousands of ROMs on them. No way that is legal.
tamusc
AG
Charlie Delta said:

Aggie MHA said:

You need special equipment for ROM dumping. Just go to emuparadise. It's a safe site. I trust it more than torrents. You can DL individual ROMS or entire sets for a system.

---

The lack of Sega Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, & 32X love in all these recent emulation threads concerns me!

You guys should also be playing the handhelds via emu: GB, GBC, GBA, Sega GG.

If you're 8 bit fans, don't forget to give the Atari 7800 some attention!

If you're a big retro nerd like me, get into Turbo Grafx 16/PC Engine.

Are you all not worried about the legality of downloading all these ROMs?

I don't think nintendo even thinks it is legal to rip the ROMs from game cartridges you already own.

There is a guy I know who makes these rapsberry pi consoles and sells them with thousands of ROMs on them. No way that is legal.

Selling systems preloaded with a bunch of downloaded ROMs is definitely illegal.
boboguitar
AG
So is downloading ROMs but no one is pursuing it like they do movies/music.
tamusc
AG
boboguitar said:

It's one thing to download ROM for personal use and something else entirely to sell systems loaded with downloaded ROMs. Game companies have definitely cracked down on people selling bootlegged games or systems.
boboguitar
AG
tamusc said:

boboguitar said:

It's one thing to download ROM for personal use and something else entirely to sell systems loaded with downloaded ROMs. Game companies have definitely cracked down on people selling bootlegged games or systems.

I mean yes, they are both illegal.
TexAgsAnon
Ag_of_08 said:

Would probably cost 5$ to build in plastic, few days to print. I'd print it for the cost of plastic if someone wants one.

If you're making any of these, hell yes I'll take one.
boboguitar
AG
Ag_of_08 said:

I'll pay for one + s&h
Charlie Delta
boboguitar said:

tamusc said:

boboguitar said:

I mean yes, they are both illegal.

I do not think anyone has ever gotten in trouble for downloading a few ROMs, especially really old ones. Getting ROMs for new games would put a target on your back, but you would probably just get a letter from your ISP asking you to stop the downloading if you get caught.

However, people have been taken to court for trying to sell or distribute ROMs that hurt the profits of a company.
sdc177
AG
So I finally ordered parts to do this. My plan was to use an older monitor hat has hdmi but no speakers and then send the audio to a bluetooth speaker. But I'm seeing that the bluetooth audio probably won't happen from a quick google search. Has anyone figured this out?
boboguitar
AG
sdc177 said:

So I finally ordered parts to do this. My plan was to use an older monitor hat has hdmi but no speakers and then send the audio to a bluetooth speaker. But I'm seeing that the bluetooth audio probably won't happen from a quick google search. Has anyone figured this out?

Literally the first item in a google search of raspberry pi Bluetooth speaker.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/bluetooth-audio-raspberry-pi-3/
sdc177
AG
boboguitar said:

sdc177 said:

Literally the first item in a google search of raspberry pi Bluetooth speaker.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/bluetooth-audio-raspberry-pi-3/
Now, literally go to that page and search for the word "retropie" and report back with your findings. Literally.
Charlie Delta
sdc177 said:

I haven't tried this, but the raspberry pi has a headphone jack you could use for audio.
sdc177
AG
Charlie Delta said:

sdc177 said:

I haven't tried this, but the raspberry pi has a headphone jack you could use for audio.
Yeah, I think that will be my best option if the bluetooth is a no go. Thanks!
boboguitar
AG
https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/testing-bluetooth-audio-streaming-a2dp/9116?u=sam_nazarko
Charlie Delta
Is there an easy way to back up the game saves created by the ROMs? I want to have a back up of all my game saves on my computer in case the sd card in my raspberry pi fails.
ntxVol
Those files should be in the directory "/home/pi/RetroPie/".

A windoze PC probably won't be able to read the Linux partition though, so you may have to use a network connection and something like FTP to transfer the files.

Edit: rsync is an easy way to sync directories across a network. If have a windoze machine that's always on and you can get DeltaCopy to work as an rsync server, then it is easy to automagically back those up periodically using CRON.
Charlie Delta
ntxVOL said:

Those files should be in the directory "/home/pi/RetroPie/".

A windoze PC probably won't be able to read the Linux partition though, so you may have to use a network connection and something like FTP to transfer the files.

Edit: rsync is an easy way to sync directories across a network. If have a windoze machine that's always on and you can get DeltaCopy to work as an rsync server, then it is easy to automagically back those up periodically using CRON.

Thanks. This is something I would probably just do manually by removing the SD card and plugging it into my computer. Is there a good windows program that would let me view the linux partion on the SD card?
Charlie Delta
I read somewhere that I could make an Ubuntu Live CD and boot from the CD to read the linux partition on my sd card. Is that a good method?
ntxVol
Charlie Delta said:

I read somewhere that I could make an Ubuntu Live CD and boot from the CD to read the linux partition on my sd card. Is that a good method?
That is actually a very good idea!
tamuags08
AG
Is that a serious offer? I'm also willing to pay for the supplies, S&H, and perhaps a few bucks for your troubles.
flakrat
AG
What controllers do y'all use for SNES games?
Ag_of_08
AG
Completely missed this post. Let me try one and I'll let y'all know, if be happy to print them

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.