Raspberry Pi NES build

17,811 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by flakrat
Wildmen03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are you trying to access the contents for adding ROMs and such?

If so, I just put \\retropie in my address bar in file explorer to access the Pi. You do have to be on the same wireless network though.
permabull
AG
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
hypeiv said:

I have no troubling accessing it via ssh/sftp but I am trying to set one up for a friend and make it as user friendly as possible. Hopefully I have it set up how he will like to keep and he won't need to make any changes but if he does I guess he'll just have to dive right in to the whole pi experience.
AggieBob08
AG
This is what mine looks like except I got the NES controllers and PS3 ones. Side note the NES ones work great minus the limited cord length...
maverick2076
I got mine set up this afternoon, and it's great. I just need to add Kodi and figure out how to link it to my media hard drives.
maverick2076
I need a little figuring out how to add sources to Kodi on my RetroPie. I already have an HTPC running a Windows version of Kodi. My media is all on hard drives physically attached to that computer. I'd like to leave the media attached to that computer and access it from my RetroPie. That way I can have access to the same media in any room in my house. How do I do that?
permabull
AG
maverick2076
I enabled UPnP sharing in Kodi on the box with the drives attached, and that works, although I have to go into Videos:Files to see the media instead of going through the movies menu, so I've got to figure that part out, but this works. I may try your other options to see if they work better.
permabull
AG
maverick2076
Is there a good guide for dummies for that? I'm fairly computer ******ed.
maverick2076
Never mind. Figured it out. That was easy!
permabull
AG
maverick2076
No, I just turned on sharing for those drives on my PC. Then I went into Kodi on my RetroPie and added them as sources, pretty much just like a local drive.
permabull
AG
maverick2076
It was so easy, I went and installed Kodi on our Fire tablets and am sharing the data there too. Now if I was smart enough to set it up so I could access my media when I was out of town that would be amazing. Any thoughts?
permabull
AG
maverick2076
Oh really? How do I install that on my RetroPie?
permabull
AG
permabull
AG
maverick2076
Would I be better installing open VPN on my HTPC, since it has the hard drives attached?
maverick2076
I'm using the router that came with my U-verse service. So I doubt it has VON functionality like that.
permabull
AG
permabull
AG
maverick2076
You know of any good tutorials for that? I've never done anything with VPN.
permabull
AG
Javelina
AG
Got all my parts in from Amazon yesterday afternoon and by following the instructions from the Lifehacker page and Aggie MHA's suggestion on emuparadise.com, the kids and I were playing games sitting on the living room floor after dinner.

A couple notes . . . I'm not at all impressed with the Old Skool Tools case, it looks good, but the screws don't hold the top and bottom together worth a damn, it tries to come apart as I handle it. I've already ordered a C4 Labs case to replace it. My recommendation is to do the same unless you're willing to glue the Old Skool case shut.

Don't cheep out on the controllers; I bought two pairs of relatively inexpensive (compared to the Buffalo controllers) NES and SNES controllers off of Amazon, which both had 4 Star ratings. I got what I paid for, they feel cheap in my hands and even my boys noticed that the buttons were sticky and/or unresponsive. I've purchased some refurbed original controllers off of ebay and some usb adapters. Do it right the first time, unlike me.

Thanks for this thread; I searched forever unsuccessfully trying to get my hands on an NES classic and now I have something way better!
maverick2076
I had no issues with the crews holding my case together. Contact Old Skool and see if they will make it right.

I bought the 8BitDo SNES controllers and they are awesome!
AggieBob08
AG
My old skoolcase holds together perfectly. Make sure you have tightened the screwed all the way down.
Ark03
AG
I received my parts tonight and had it set up in no time. Brand new Skoolcase worked perfectly.

The wife has taken over to play tetris, so it may be a while before I get to try another game.
maverick2076
I'm having issues with my RetroPie Kodi. I have my media on an SMB share to the RetroPie box, and it's pausing/stuttering during video
Playback. It usually pauses for 10-30
Seconds at least once during a tv show playback. No idea where to start with fixing it.
ntxVol
NFS is your friend, HTH
HortAg09
AG
Going to start loading my software to my SD. So excited to have this guy up and running.
maverick2076
How would I go about setting up sharing using NFS instead? Do you have a guide for dummies that you can post a link to?

FYI, I rebooted my router and it has seemed to fix the issue.
ntxVol
maverick2076 said:

How would I go about setting up sharing using NFS instead? Do you have a guide for dummies that you can post a link to?

FYI, I rebooted my router and it has seemed to fix the issue.
I was being facetious, unless you have a Linux box, a Windoze server, or a NAS that supports NFS you're probably out of luck. Samba is a pain...I hate it but it is a necessary evil. Never tried using it on a PI so I don't know how well it works. It is pretty CPU intensive compared to NFS and finicky about network drivers. I would assume, with the popularity of the PI, that the network drivers shouldn't be a problem but I don't know for sure. NFS would be a much better solution for a PI IMO.

http://bencane.com/2012/11/23/nfs-setting-up-a-basic-nfs-file-system-share/
Ark03
AG
Is anyone using a wireless xbox 360 controller with Retropie? I am, and it rumbles occasionally. Usually when it starts I have to pop the batteries out and back in to get it to stop. It's not frequent, but it's annoying.

I found some code on gethub to disable rumble on a PS3 controller, but I can't find anything similar for the xbox 360 controller. Has anyone come across this?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.