Raspberry Pi NES build

17,557 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by flakrat
flakrat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was going to use an older gaming PC for this project, but I really like the idea of the Pi from a size/power consumption standpoint. Can't wait to do this.
Wildmen03
AG
flakrat said:

What controllers do y'all use for SNES games?
8bitdo bluetooth SNES controller

I also have a Buffalo wired SNES gamepad that I had before the pi really took off.
boboguitar
AG
flakrat said:

I was going to use an older gaming PC for this project, but I really like the idea of the Pi from a size/power consumption standpoint. Can't wait to do this.

Just know the pi is really only good up to the n64 and it's contemporaries. You won't be running Xbox and ps1 games on it.
Ark03
AG
flakrat said:

What controllers do y'all use for SNES games?
I use xbox 360 wireless controllers for everything, with a USB dongle. I wasn't sold on the bluetooth support for controllers, so I opted for cheap 360 controllers - they work great: no lag, no issues.
Ark03
AG
boboguitar said:

flakrat said:

Just know the pi is really only good up to the n64 and it's contemporaries. You won't be running Xbox and ps1 games on it.
You also won't be running a lot of n65 games - many of them don't run all that great.
boboguitar
AG
Ark03 said:

boboguitar said:

flakrat said:

You also won't be running a lot of n65 games - many of them don't run all that great.

That's true as well. My zelda game bugs out all the time.
sdc177
AG
Once you pop in the sd card and hook everything up how long does it take for anything to come on the monitor/tv? It seems nothing is making it to the monitor and i suspect my Pi has a bad HDMI. The little red led turns on instantly when i power on.
permabull
AG
sdc177
AG
hypeiv said:

It should pop up right away.
is the TV you are connecting it to old?

If so you might need to edit the config.txt file in your boot area of the sd card and add

hdmi_safe=1

Image issue. Now I need to figure out the best way to format the SD card with Windows 10. Trying sdcardformatter.

Edit: sdcardformatter worked beautifully and i'm up and running
Charlie Delta
I'm getting crackling sound on some of my retropie games. Anyone know how to fix this?
Eugene4x
AG
https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/341751

For anyone looking to build one
Woody2001
AG
Just ordered a CanaKit off Amazon today. Can't wait
BTHOthatguy
Why did I wait so long to do this? My Baseball Stars team is coming along nicely. What are everyone's favorite games?
Cancelled
AG
I turned mine on today and the sd card had turned to dust.
getme
controller suggestion for anyone looking:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-Classic-Joystick-Android/dp/B014QP2H1E/ref=sr_1_4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1513600607&sr=1-4&keywords=8bitdo+SNES
Eugene4x
AG
^
I second that controller recommendation.
Cancelled
AG
I just use an old ps3 remote. It's best for mame games.
Woody2001
AG
So can someone explain scraping to me & why to do it?
Ark03
AG
getme said:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-Classic-Joystick-Android/dp/B014QP2H1E/ref=sr_1_4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1513600607&sr=1-4&keywords=8bitdo+SNES
For that price I'd get a wireless xbox 360 controller. I picked up 2 used for $40 and they work great, especially for things like the N64 Mario Cart (or they can be found new for $30-35 each).
getme
Ark03 said:

getme said:

For that price I'd get a wireless xbox 360 controller. I picked up 2 used for $40 and they work great, especially for things like the N64 Mario Cart (or they can be found new for $30-35 each).

Does the Pi support 360 controllers? Wouldn't you also need the wireless adapter IF they are supported? The ones I posted are bluetooth, it's built in to the Pi. Not to mention the awkward d-pad position for retro games on the 360 controllers.
MaroonOut09
AG
Scraping is a way to get metadata and boxart for your games from the internet.

I like to use Steven Selph's scraper in lieu of the scraper built-in to EmulationStation.

Check out this video for more information:

Ark03
AG
getme said:

Ark03 said:

getme said:

Does the Pi support 360 controllers? Wouldn't you also need the wireless adapter IF they are supported? The ones I posted are bluetooth, it's built in to the Pi. Not to mention the awkward d-pad position for retro games on the 360 controllers.
Yes, the Pi supports 360 controllers. It was really simple to configure the controllers in RetroPie - it immediately recognized them as 360 controllers, then I just had to set up the profile once.

Now that you mention it, I recall my pair of 360 controllers included a dongle. Looks like that's another $15 or so to buy new. I read a lot of people had trouble with the built-in bluetooth pairing and response time in using bluetooth controllers, but perhaps that has improved.

I don't get the awkward d-pad position - we primarily play NES and SNES games with ours, and have no issues with the ergonomics.
dodger02
AG
Does anyone have a source for extensions or other methods of converting this funky NES/SNES Classic USB to the standard USB for my Pi?

I'd like to use my NES Classic controllers (and an SNES Classic controller I bought) on my Raspberry Pi instead of buying new ones like the iBuffalo.
MaroonOut09
AG
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006JIZAFM/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1513657329&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=wii+controller+to+usb+adapter&dpPl=1&dpID=315KJU-eEgL&ref=plSrch

This was all I was able to find.
dodger02
AG
Yeah. I read that those things suck. I just bit the mullet and bought an iBuffalo.

I can't believe they don't make an adapter or extension.
flakrat
AG
Building my Pi 3B game machine today using GameWizard's img: http://www.gamewizard.ca/downloads.html

So far have all of the Atari, Genesis and NES and SNES games

Thanks for starting this post, set me on the right track.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.