Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

423,388 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Bregxit
bthotugigem05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've made exactly zero plans so far. It's my first time so I'll hit some of the fosses in the south but want to go over to the Westfjord as well. I have a week and a car so I'll figure out things as I go I think.
FTAG 2000
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I've made exactly zero plans so far. It's my first time so I'll hit some of the fosses in the south but want to go over to the Westfjord as well. I have a week and a car so I'll figure out things as I go I think.

Nice. The one recommendation I'd have is to plan ahead a bit on figuring out where you are going to stay for the night and booking ahead. There's a lot of towns once you get out of Reykjavik that only have 1-2 hotels and they fill up fast. Don't want to be driving another two hours to the next town at the end of the day to find a room.
AgBQ-00
AG
Here is a link to my album from my Alaska trip. I culled this down from 1700+ pics to 818. Probably should have cut some more but did not Hope you enjoy. Would love to hear feedback on them.

Alaska 2018
dubi
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Here is a link to my album from my Alaska trip. I culled this down from 1700+ pics to 818. Probably should have cut some more but did not Hope you enjoy. Would love to hear feedback on them.

Alaska 2018

I highly suggest you cut the photos to less than 100 at most. Too many identical photo. For example I have 88 photos from my last 7 day vacation to Cozumel.

When I take a trip, I may keep some photos for personal reasons that are not so great. But I do not publish them in the online album that I share with friends and family.

AgBQ-00
AG
Yeah. I over killed it for sure. I erred onnthe side of too many on this one because family asked for ALL of them. Dont think they realize ALL would be 1700.
dubi
AG
Consider a "family" album with every single photo and a friends/Texags album where you keep <5 of every hundred photos.
labmansid
AgBQ-00 said:

Alaska 2018

Yeah, I thought I had issues with culling pictures! Those bring back memories of our trip a few years ago. We were there for nearly three weeks and I think I ended up with over 10,000 shots. You got some good ones in there. Looks like a great trip. The calving glaciers are always a crowd pleaser.
agracer
AG
AG 2000' said:

Guitarsoup said:

I got on the pre order list with my dealer.

He called me today for the deposit and I cancelled.

Stats so far for him:
6 orders
13 cancels

How could they get so much right and goober something like the dual card slots?
How many card failures has everyone had? While I don't shoot near as much as some of you, I've had exactly zero in 13+ years of SD car use. I guess I don't see it as such a big issue. But I'm not a pro and my livelyhood does not depend on it so...

By Thom: The Card Failure Issue

Also, shooting a D7000 right now and thinking of upgrading. Looking at the D500 and now considering the Z6 with the FTZ adapter (since I have only F-mount lenses). Or maybe I should just keep the D7000 and buy a few new lenses. The 200-500/5.6 looks like a fantastic lens for shooting soccer matches.
bthotugigem05
AG
For a landscape/travel/headshot/architecture guy like me it's not a big deal because I travel with 4-5 different cards and shoot headshots/architecture tethered into Capture One, so my risk of missing The Moment are virtually nil.

A wedding/sports shooter, on the other hand, is a completely different issue. If a card fails and your second shooter didn't get a good angle (or you're shooting solo), it is a catastrophe.
Guitarsoup
AG
agracer said:

AG 2000' said:

Guitarsoup said:

I got on the pre order list with my dealer.

He called me today for the deposit and I cancelled.

Stats so far for him:
6 orders
13 cancels

How could they get so much right and goober something like the dual card slots?
How many card failures has everyone had? While I don't shoot near as much as some of you, I've had exactly zero in 13+ years of SD car use. I guess I don't see it as such a big issue. But I'm not a pro and my livelyhood does not depend on it so...

By Thom: The Card Failure Issue

Also, shooting a D7000 right now and thinking of upgrading. Looking at the D500 and now considering the Z6 with the FTZ adapter (since I have only F-mount lenses). Or maybe I should just keep the D7000 and buy a few new lenses. The 200-500/5.6 looks like a fantastic lens for shooting soccer matches.

I've had two that failed after I shot an event and couple not be recovered. Both times I had the second card, so it wasn't the end of the world. But could you imagine telling a bride you lost a significant part of her wedding and can't ever get the pics back? I shot a wedding where the bride's dad spent $5mm, and that doesn't count the expenses of the 1200 guests. A mistake like that could end your business.

I've had several others that could be recovered or failed before I shot.

I'm in a lot of wedding/event forums/groups and I can't tell you how many people I've seen that lost entire weddings.

More likely than a card error is human error.
Lost card
Stolen card
Format and shoot over wrong card
bthotugigem05
AG
AG 2000' said:

bthotugigem05 said:

New DJI Mavic Pro and Zoom should be announced on Thursday this week, anyone else looking forward to these drones?

Optimistic about the 1" sensor. Feel I push my Mavic Pro to the limits.

Headed to Guadalupe in two months and would like to have it to take out there with me for some surface side great white footage.

Mavic 2 Pro arrived today!
FTAG 2000
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

AG 2000' said:

bthotugigem05 said:

New DJI Mavic Pro and Zoom should be announced on Thursday this week, anyone else looking forward to these drones?

Optimistic about the 1" sensor. Feel I push my Mavic Pro to the limits.

Headed to Guadalupe in two months and would like to have it to take out there with me for some surface side great white footage.

Mavic 2 Pro arrived today!

That's great! Mine was shipped from China, got held up in Anchorage for customs. Now showing Wednesday arrival.
agracer
AG
Headed to Hawaii in a few weeks.

Was thinking of picking up a housing for my Nikon J1 to shoot underwater. Found several that work well for ~$100.

Or would I be better off buying a Olympus Tough TG-5 or Nikon W300 (which are ~$400).

The Nikon 1 has a much larger sensor, but the flash does not work with the underwater housing. The Olympus and Nikon flashes do work. It's just snorkeling so it's not like I'm going down very far.

thoughts?
dubi
AG
agracer said:

Was thinking of picking up a housing for my Nikon J1 to shoot underwater. Found several that work well for ~$100.

Or would I be better off buying a Olympus Tough TG-5 or Nikon W300 (which are ~$400).

The Nikon 1 has a much larger sensor, but the flash does not work with the underwater housing. The Olympus and Nikon flashes do work. It's just snorkeling so it's not like I'm going down very far.

thoughts?
You will not need a flash snorkeling.

I love my tough, but it is pricy for a one-time vacation.

Where do you live?
FTAG 2000
AG
agracer said:

thoughts?

What are the brands on the $100 ones? Don't get any that have a bag as a focal point - should at least be a polycarbonite housing.

Looks like dubi is familiar with yours, I'll defer to him.
dubi
AG
Housing should be similar to this.

You put a tiny dab of silicone lube on the o-ring and insert camera with a moisture muncher.
Don't keep your camera / housing in your really cold hotel room; it will steam up inside the housing. Keep it on the balcony.
Put your camera/housing in a bucket of water before you head into the water; they should have them at the dock to check for air bubbles coming out of the housing.
agracer
AG
It's actually the Nikon version for the J1. Thanks for the tips dubi.
dubi
AG
agracer said:

Are you close to BCS?
agracer
AG
dubi said:

agracer said:

Are you close to BCS?
About 850 miles
bthotugigem05
AG
FTAG 2000
AG
How is the build quality? Saw something about issues with the connection of the camera to the gimbal and glue.

That 1" sensor seems nice.
bthotugigem05
AG
Very good. They did a firmware update that fixed the gimbal issue, took about 30 minutes to install so it was a big one.
FTAG 2000
AG
Mine arrives today, feel like a kid on Christmas morning.
agracer
AG
Do I go for the slightly used Nikon version WP-N1 $95

or the brand new Polaroid Version for $90

the reviews of the Polaroid version only concern me in that is looks like some folks got the wrong version which only fits the 10mm pancake lens and not the on that fits the 10-30mm version.
dubi
AG
agracer said:

Do I go for the slightly used Nikon version WP-N1 $95

or the brand new Polaroid Version for $90

the reviews of the Polaroid version only concern me in that is looks like some folks got the wrong version which only fits the 10mm pancake lens and not the on that fits the 10-30mm version.
My only concern is the condition of the gasket on used. That one little part is what keeps your camera dry.

TexasAggie_02
AG
https://petapixel.com/2018/08/28/canon-full-frame-mirrorless-unveil-is-likely-september-5th/

fingers crossed that canon's announcement includes dual card slots
dubi
AG
agracer said:

dubi said:

agracer said:

Are you close to BCS?
About 850 miles

That rules out you stopping by my house to borrow my TG4............
FTAG 2000
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Very good. They did a firmware update that fixed the gimbal issue, took about 30 minutes to install so it was a big one.

Got mine! Wow, this thing feels like a tank compared to Mav1.

tk for tu juan
TexasAggie_02 said:

https://petapixel.com/2018/08/28/canon-full-frame-mirrorless-unveil-is-likely-september-5th/

fingers crossed that canon's announcement includes dual card slots

Guessing it will still be an EF mount, wonder what the front will look like with the 44mm flange focal distance required for the EF lense.

In my dream world they would announce it has a global shutter, but we are probably still two years away on that.
dubi
AG
Agracer,

What not to do underwater. Me taking a video of Mr Dubi who is way to close to an enormous green eel.

FTAG 2000
AG
He just had an itch on his nose he wanted scratched, that's all.
labmansid
bthotugigem05
AG
Update: thanks to whoever from this thread turned those drone pictures into the university and the FAA
AZAG08
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Update: thanks to whoever turned those drone pictures into the university and the FAA
That sucks
dubi
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Update: thanks to whoever from this thread turned those drone pictures into the university and the FAA
*******!
First Page Last Page
Page 50 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.