Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

421,405 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
MBAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I started on a t3i with the it lens and took plenty of great photos with it. Landscape doesn't always need to be super wide angle. The kit lens will be wide enough most times, but if you really want something wider you can get the EFS 10-18mm or the Rokinon 14mm. The Rokinon is a fully manual lens so no autofocus but that is fine. The 55-250mm you have is actually a great lens for a crop sensor camera and will give you some good reach.

Honestly the two lenses you have are really good for learning.
Guitarsoup
AG
What you have it fine to start with. A 50mm 1.8 is probably the next thing most people get, and it will make it easier for you to see the blurred background in a shallower depth of field.

You don't really need all the extras this comes with, but it is the same price with that stuff as without it.
https://amzn.to/2MEg4Vh

If you want to upgrade to a better lens, get the 85mm 1.8 (about 350 vs 130 for the 50mm)

https://amzn.to/2MezEdV

Both lenses are multi use, but will really shine as a portrait lens.
tk for tu juan
dubi said:

Good photographers can shoot fantastic photos with modest equipment.
Reminds me of the old Cheap Camera Challenge before Kai left DigitalRev

Post removed:
by user
Guitarsoup
AG
jayelbee said:

Ok. This is a good time for another question. Since those are full frame lenses are they effectively identical to the crop frame EFS equivalents except for the mount? I get confused about the scaling.

Follow up question: On that 50mm since the T3i is a 1.6x crop ratio, then the 50mm is effectively an 80mm focal length correct? So, should I be looking at a 35mm to get close to the 50mm equivalent after crop factor? Or does it not really matter? I guess the max aperture is the more important piece.
The lens acts the same. The difference is the sides of the image are effectively cropped off. So you have to back up a little to get the same framing. So the FF will look like the whole pic and yours will look like everything in the yellow square.

If you want the same framing, you use your Nike Zoom.

Since you won't know any difference because you aren't using the lens side by side with a FF camera, what you see is what you get. The 85mm or 50mm field of view will be the same as on your zoom lenses.

I am biased towards long lenses, so I say get the 85. It is a much better lens, especially for out in the forest.
bthotugigem05
AG
Just a friendly reminder to everyone that oftentimes the best part of photography is getting to meet other photographers. I had the very distinct honor of Guitarsoup joining me up in Dallas for a charity flag football game I was shooting. Fantastic guy, great Aggie, and an absolute master photographer.

I know photography is a hobby/career somewhat practiced in isolation, but make sure to go out there and meet some fellow photogs, there are some quality people out there!
Guitarsoup
AG
Thanks brother! It was a fun time this weekend.

Hopefully after the kids are in bed I'll post some pics up here.

In the mean time, Nikon's new mirrorless is going to have an 58mm f/0.95 lens.

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/13/breaking-nikon-z6-and-z7-full-frame-mirrorless-cameras-and-three-lenses-coming-on-august-23rd-z-noct-nikkor-58mm-f-0-95-lens-to-be-announced-later.aspx/
MBAR
AG
I agree 100% Sometimes I'll run across others shooting when I'm out doing the same and it almost always ends up in a cool convo. Especially when storm chasing.
tk for tu juan
From a NikonRumors update:
Quote:

The new Z-mount is almost as large as medium format mount for some 6x6 SLR cameras

Guess we find out next week what flange focal distance will be for the new system. Hopefully it is similar the Sony E-mount and will allow metabones to have enough space to create an adaptor to use Canon lenses.
TexasAggie_02
AG
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1082154-REG/sigma_150_600mm_f_5_6_3_dg_os.html

sigma 150-600 is $749 for today only. it's normally $1089
bthotugigem05
AG
New DJI Mavic Pro and Zoom should be announced on Thursday this week, anyone else looking forward to these drones?
MonkeyKnifeFighter
chief1999
AG
I'm just now finding this forum and thread, guys give me a follow on Instagram realestatedfw and say hello.
tk for tu juan
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/22/nikon-d850-next-to-the-nikon-z7.aspx

So far we know it has the same image sensor as the D850, IBIS, 493 autofocus points, slightly bigger than a A7III, and 9 fps.
Guitarsoup
AG
REALLY want this to be perfect.

If it is a single card slot, that is deal breaker for me.

Everything else looks right on point.
FTAG 2000
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

New DJI Mavic Pro and Zoom should be announced on Thursday this week, anyone else looking forward to these drones?

Optimistic about the 1" sensor. Feel I push my Mavic Pro to the limits.

Headed to Guadalupe in two months and would like to have it to take out there with me for some surface side great white footage.

Guitarsoup
AG
Nikon screwed up. Single card slot. Everything else looks outstanding. But I won't buy a camera with a single card slot. Lots of other event photographers feel the same way. I think this camera is going to be absolutely fantastic.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/mirrorless-cameras/index.page

tk for tu juan
Yeah the single XQD slot doesn't make sense. Keep wondering during the live stream why they never mentioned storage, now we know why.

Nikon needs to stuff the audience with clapping hype builders like Apple for these release events. There was awkward silence when they revealed the camera followed by shutter clicks.
bthotugigem05
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Nikon screwed up. Single card slot. Everything else looks outstanding. But I won't buy a camera with a single card slot. Lots of other event photographers feel the same way. I think this camera is going to be absolutely fantastic.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/mirrorless-cameras/index.page

Battery life and buffer also. Almost perfect cameras!
Maximus_Meridius
AG
I'm curious how successful the FTZ lens adapter will be. Not having to buy new lenses was the biggest reason why I stuck with DSLR instead of switching over to mirrorless.
Guitarsoup
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

I'm curious how successful the FTZ lens adapter will be. Not having to buy new lenses was the biggest reason why I stuck with DSLR instead of switching over to mirrorless.
I hear it works exceptionally well
bthotugigem05
AG
AG 2000' said:

bthotugigem05 said:

Headed to Guadalupe in two months and would like to have it to take out there with me for some surface side great white footage.

Caved and bought a Pro model, although the Dolly Zoom in the zoom model looks amazing!
FTAG 2000
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

AG 2000' said:

bthotugigem05 said:

Caved and bought a Pro model, although the Dolly Zoom in the zoom model looks amazing!

Yeah, I'm pulling the trigger on a Pro as well.

And then next year they'll come out with Mavic3 that will have both, and take more of our money.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
FTAG 2000
AG
Yeah, loved my Mavic Pro and have taken it some awesome places. But the sensor was always a challenge and I'd love to do some low or no light stuff too, which is a beating with the MP sensor.

Obstacle avoidance in all directions, better transmission system, more flight time, and all the new processing stuff? Heck yeah let's do it.
bthotugigem05
AG
I'm keeping my P4P for commercial work around town but definitely selling the Mavic Air. Not a bad drone but the new Mavic is just as portable IMO and most of my drone stuff is for photography and not video.
tk for tu juan
Guitarsoup said:

Maximus_Meridius said:

I hear it works exceptionally well, but there are some rumors that it will only shoot in AF-S and not AF-C.

https://m.dpreview.com/articles/0039746111/what-s-the-nikon-z-like-with-adapted-lenses
FTAG 2000
AG
What kind of commercial work do you do and where?
Guitarsoup
AG
I got on the pre order list with my dealer.

He called me today for the deposit and I cancelled.

Stats so far for him:
6 orders
13 cancels
dubi
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Stats so far for him:
6 orders
13 cancels
WOW!
bthotugigem05
AG
AG 2000' said:

What kind of commercial work do you do and where?
I do some small work around Dallas, usually real estate/architecture type work. My project right now is a hospital construction project.
FTAG 2000
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Stats so far for him:
6 orders
13 cancels

How could they get so much right and goober something like the dual card slots?
FTAG 2000
AG
Got shipping notification today for my Pro order. Nice job DJI.
bthotugigem05
AG
Same, arriving Wednesday, which is good because I'm off to Iceland Friday!
FTAG 2000
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Same, arriving Wednesday, which is good because I'm off to Iceland Friday!

Awesome, great timing for the release!

What's your plans look like for Iceland? We did the southern half of the island last year.
First Page Last Page
Page 49 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.