Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

420,282 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
hatchback
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Someone on premium was passing the Kyle Field photo off as their own. Maybe it started over there?
TexasAggie_02
labmansid
bthotugigem05 said:

Update: thanks to whoever from this thread turned those drone pictures into the university and the FAA
Well hell. Party poopers.
bthotugigem05
AG
It was in Class D airspace so it was definitely controlled airspace, the pilot-in-command was in the wrong ultimately. Oh well, hope the reporter is happy.
FTAG 2000
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Update: thanks to whoever from this thread turned those drone pictures into the university and the FAA

Wow, what a load of garbage.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
TexasAggie_02
AG
https://www.canonrumors.com/heres-the-full-list-of-gear-canon-will-announce-on-september-5/

Quote:

Canon announcements for September 5, 2018
  • Canon EOS R body
  • Canon EOS R w/24-105mm f/4L kit
  • Canon BG-E22
  • Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 M IS
  • Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM
  • Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM
  • Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L USM
  • Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM
  • Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS III
    • The lens may have a different name, no confirmation yet.
  • M (or Mount) adapter R?
    • Since only "M.ADAP R" "M.ADAP R ND" "M.ADAP R PL" is written in the simple order form, the official name is unknown
  • PD E1 is also included in the accessory list

TexasAggie_02
AG
https://petapixel.com/2018/08/31/canon-r-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-and-7-lenses-coming-sep-5th/

Quote:

t's still unclear how the new mirrorless camera will support EF lenses, but there are rumors that Canon has created some kind of special lens mount system that will allow the entire range of EF lenses to be mounted. If not, we may also see a separate adapter announced on the 5th as well.
bthotugigem05
AG
Would be cool if they had some sort of sensor-on-rail system where the sensor could move back/forward to accommodate the different mounts but I'm sure the engineering to do that would be too costly.
tk for tu juan
Dimensions and weight of the new RF 28-70 f/2L

Quote:

Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM
  • Lens composition: 13 groups 19 sheets
  • Minimum focus distance: 39cm (15.35 inches)
  • Filter diameter: 95mm
  • Size: 103.8mm (4.08 inches) 139.8mm (5.5 inches)
  • Weight: 1430g (3.15lbs)

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-rf-lens-specifications/
TexasAggie_02
AG
https://petapixel.com/2018/09/01/canon-eos-r-photos-and-specs-leak/
tk for tu juan
The small door for the card slot seems like it is for a single card...

Guitarsoup
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Canon gonna roll the dice with micro SD
TexasAggie_02
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Looks like the door for the card slot is on the lower right side, like on all their other cameras
tk for tu juan
That's the door I'm talking about, not where the red arrow is pointing. The red arrow is pointing to a touch pad. The card slot door is the same size of a 70D which was a single card camera.
agracer
AG
Waterproof J1 Housing showed up Friday. This has to be the newest used item I've ever purchased.

Got around to opening everything up and going through the manual, their was supposed to be a ring that screws to the front of the 10-30 lens to help prevent reflections from showing up in the photo that was not in the box.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Waterproof-Housing/WP-IR1000-Inner-Reflection-Prevention-Ring.html

How critical is this part? Only one I found was from "unique photo" (whom I've never heard of) for $26 shipped to the house. I did send a note to the seller asking if they maybe had an extra laying around but that was just 5m ago.

Should I order that part, or not worry about and maybe stuff some small black cloth around the lens front instead?
dubi
AG
Quote:

maybe stuff some small black cloth around the lens front instead?
Try it and shake the housing a bunch to make sure the cloth stays in place; you photos will all be ruined if it shifts.

I'll look at our housings tonite to see if we have something similar.
dubi
AG
Lens Teardowns and Comparisons of the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS II and III

Basically no difference between the lenses. Hmmmm!
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
So I'm thinking about making a big change. I've had what I call a "travel" kit that has served me well the last decade. D50, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 580ex speedlite, some other accessories.

I've hit the point where the DSLR just doesn't get used much due to time and amount of stuff involved. I love photography as a hobby but it really might be time to switch to something a little more one-stop-shop.

I'm considering going for a Leica (because eff all, I want to) but not sure which model. Any experience? Thoughts?
Guitarsoup
AG
100% manual focus.

Looks sexy, but most people would find more use out of Fuji
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
What would you recommend? Budget isn't really an issue. Just want something that isn't multiple components but offers much better quality images than I get from an iPhone.
bthotugigem05
AG
Sony RX1RII
FTAG 2000
AG
Can we talk lens storage for a second?

What do you guys use for storage of lenses? I've reached the point that I have more lenses than will fit in my camera bag, and I also don't want to have to unpack the thing for every trip.

Yeah, first world problems, but looking for good ideas on lens / accessory storage for my Nikon and all its buddies.
Guitarsoup
AG
blindey said:

What would you recommend? Budget isn't really an issue. Just want something that isn't multiple components but offers much better quality images than I get from an iPhone.
Really depends on what you want to do with it. What kind of pics you want to take? That Sony is nice, but isn't it a fixed 35mm lens? If you would consider something like that, you could borrow my old Fuji X100S, which is a fixed 23mm (35mm equiv) 2.0. Great size. But you gotta love 35mm (which I do.)

They have a 16-55mm 2.8 zoom (1.5x for crop factor.) They also have a 100-400 4-5.6 zoom if you want to do some wildlife-type stuff. 55-140mm 2.8 is their 70-200. Plus some nice portrait primes like the 56mm 1.2.

It will be a smaller form factor with high quality images.

If you don't want to change lenses, a Canon G1X Mark III is probably the best there is. Equiv to 24-70mm f2.8-5.6.

If you don't want to change lenses, Nikon's P1000 (newly replaced P900) is your go to camera. But beware that you get a lot of motion shake on the long end of this. In 35mm terms, this camera is a 24-3000mm f/2.8-8. Absolutely ridiculous. But f/8 cuts a TON of light.

My mom actually has both those point and shoots (well, the P900, not the P1000.)

With the Nikon P900 in Africa:

I told her to bring or buy a large beanbag to use as a tripod in the windows of safari cars.

G1X II in Africa:

G1X in New Orleans. Pretty solid dynamic range.

My mom doesn't edit. So all that is SOOC. She uses the Canon for dark places and anything wide and the Nikon for all her telephoto. Both would be lower quality than getting a Leica, but probably better than your phone.
tk for tu juan
I completely missed the announcement of the P1000. An additional 1000mm of equiv focal length, added RAW support, 4k video, improved viewfinder, and support for an external flash.

I use the P900 for site visits at work, which it is perfectly suited for. Pretty much can get photos of anything I physically can't get to, and it is has a powerful flash to compliment the zoom range.
tk for tu juan
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/explore/product-showcases/cameras-and-lenses/full-frame-mirrorless-system/eos-r-system/eos-r-camera

At least is has full compatibility with the EF lenses thru the adaptor. Basically waiting until it is available to rent and see how the early adaptors like the camera.

EDIT: Body only price $2,299. That hurts them compared to Sony and Nikon
bthotugigem05
AG
I'm very surprised they went with 10-bit video via HDMI. Even with their hideous 1.6x 4K crop that's excellent.

All in all some great first generation mirrorless cameras from Canikon. I feel like they did a good job setting themselves apart from the generation II Sony bodies and it bodes well for the future of the industry.
bthotugigem05
AG
AG 2000' said:

What do you guys use for storage of lenses? I've reached the point that I have more lenses than will fit in my camera bag, and I also don't want to have to unpack the thing for every trip.

Yeah, first world problems, but looking for good ideas on lens / accessory storage for my Nikon and all its buddies.
I have a shelving system that started as a place to put my lenses but was attacked by absurd amounts of other camera gear and now I need a new shelving system.
ontheedge
Didn't know about the P1000 either.
Guitarsoup
AG
AG 2000' said:

I have a camera room.

Almost done with my garage project, then going with a large gun safe
dubi
AG
Quote:

The only problem with our 2 gun safes is that they are full of guns. I need a gun closet!
FTAG 2000
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

AG 2000' said:

I have a shelving system that started as a place to put my lenses but was attacked by absurd amounts of other camera gear and now I need a new shelving system.

That's where I'm at. Our closet had a set of cubbies in it, all taken over by various camera gear. I guess I'm looking at a bag for the lenses, or one of those little dehumidifer box type things.

Anyone have thoughts either way on that and brand? Not looking to spend a forture on it but protect my investment.
FTAG 2000
AG
Guitarsoup said:

AG 2000' said:

I have a camera room.

Trying to convince the wife that the office should be my toy room - gun safe, camera gear, etc., not gaining much traction so far.

Guitarsoup
AG
AG 2000' said:

Guitarsoup said:

AG 2000' said:

I have a camera room.

Trying to convince the wife that the office should be my toy room - gun safe, camera gear, etc., not gaining much traction so far.

Air conditioned garage is my play room.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Thank you so much for the thoughtful response. I'll check out all of the above. Reality is that for now, the camera will be a general use set up (little kid and baby coming soon) that I want to be able to have handy and take up less space. It sounds like the Canon might be the ticket but I will check out all options. My neighbor has a P900 that I'm going to try out tomorrow.
First Page Last Page
Page 51 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.