Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

420,129 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
FTAG 2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alright, so now we're all done laughing about how much gear we have or wish we had, any suggestions on lens storage?

I see things like the Forspark dry cabinets, and then of course I could always just grab another camera bag (or something similiar that is more softsided but could hold a bunch of lenses.

Guess what I'm getting at, is the dry cabinet path something that really makes sense and is proven out on moisture, fungus, etc. control, or just a nice gimmick?

labmansid
I mainly just use several bags.

A small backpack I use for most general outings that holds a camera with the 24-105 zoom attached, plus either the 70-200 zoom or 300 telephoto next to it, and maybe a super wide zoom like the 10-22 or 16-35 depending on which body I'm using in the upper compartment.

For more storage, I have a larger backpack that holds two bodies if needed, plus several other lenses and/or flashes and accessories such as battery chargers, focus aids, intervalometers, etc. It will also hold my laptop if necessary. It will hold my 500mm (without lens hood) if needed for flights.

I have one more large bag that holds exclusively my 500mm super telephoto plus camera. I also have one or two plastic storage bins in the garage for miscellaneous spare parts/little used gear.

HTH
dubi
AG
Is that all?
FTAG 2000
AG
Another question for everyone.

So, I've got my Nikon D750. Headed to Guadalupe next month to cage dive with great whites. Just got a housing for it (no stranger to UW photography, but hadn't had the courage or reason to house the 750). This trip, particularly the subject matter, changes things.

I'd like to take a second body with me on the trip as backup in case something happens to mine. I'm cautious, but it's a dive boat and accidents happen. And there's no camera shop 20 hours offshore.

Was thinking of renting a body. Where's the best place for that? Borrow Lenses? Follow up, would I be able to insure the body with them (or whoever you recommend)? I can add it to my current policy and take it off after if I need to, just curious if there's any place that would rent bodies and let you pick up some flood insurance.

Gracias.
bthotugigem05
AG
Does your current policy cover rental gear? My Hill & Usher policy does (not sure what kind of insurance to which you're referring though)
dubi
AG
I've used lensrental.com several times and they also rent camera bodies. Go read their insurance policy; I always get it when renting.
labmansid
I've used rentglass.com before with great service. I only rented lenses with them, but they do have bodies.

They do offer a damage waiver.
"All of our shipped packages are automatically insured for loss or damage while in transit, and we offer an optional damage waiver to cover any type of damage while the equipment is in your possession. The damage waiver covers all types of damage after a $30 deductible, but keep in mind the damage waiver does not cover lost or stolen equipment."
FTAG 2000
AG
I've used h20insurance to date (it's under the DAN umbrella). Their deductible is the greater of $250 or 10% of the replacement cost, though they don't cover rental gear at all. So that probably makes that decision a bit easier.

Will have to price that out compared to the others.

Have you had to deal with hill and usher before on a claim? How'd it turn out?
bthotugigem05
AG
Thought yall would like a sneak peek at my drone short from Iceland, shot with the Mavic 2 Pro:

jaggiemaggie
AG
GS: thinking of pulling the trigger on the Nikon 85mm, is the 1.4g that much better in low light than the 1.8g to try convince myself of the 3x price difference?
Guitarsoup
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

GS: thinking of pulling the trigger on the Nikon 85mm, is the 1.4g that much better in low light than the 1.8g to try convince myself of the 3x price difference?
The 1.8 is a great lens. I would get that.

If I was buying fresh from scratch and money is an issue, my three primes would be 35 1.4 & 85 1.8 & 105 1.4.
FTAG 2000
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Thought yall would like a sneak peek at my drone short from Iceland, shot with the Mavic 2 Pro:

Was that the hyperlapse at the 18-20 second mark?

Also, what software do you use for editing?

Nice work!
jaggiemaggie
AG
Can you elaborate for getting 35mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8 instead of the opposite?
bthotugigem05
AG
Thanks! The first shot and the 18ish second shot are both hyperlapses. From everything I can tell the drone shoots time lapses in 1080p but I just upscaled it to 4K and couldn't tell too much a difference.

I use Premiere Pro.
Guitarsoup
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

Can you elaborate for getting 35mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8 instead of the opposite?
The 35 is a wide angle and the 85 is a telephoto, so they don't really compete. The 105 1.4 doesn't really have a rival (105 macro is way different and Nikon 135 f2 is junk). I would basically downgrade my 85 to get the 105, which is magic.
jaggiemaggie
AG
If you can only get either the 85mm or the 105 you had mentioned in f1.4, which one would you get? For normal picture taking of the kids.
Guitarsoup
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

If you can only get either the 85mm or the 105 you had mentioned in f1.4, which one would you get? For normal picture taking of the kids.
If you are just using it for taking pics of your kids, you will be more than happy with the 85 1.8.
Guitarsoup
AG
Article I wrote on how to shoot sports in the rain. Goes with other forms of photography, as well:

https://fstoppers.com/education/how-prepare-shoot-sports-rain-288085
Brenner
AG
About to make my first purchase into this world, and am gifted a budget of about $1k in anticipation of our first kid on the way. The camera will be mostly used for pictures of family & vacations, video will be nice to have. Can definitely see myself getting into it more-- I've tinkered with my dad's 1980 SLR and enjoyed it, just tough to learn/keep at something that takes time with developing film. Done some internet scouring, and still unsure on what camera to get..

I *think* I've narrowed it down at least to getting a mirrorless camera. Either Sony a6000 body & some lens that I can pick out, or the a6300 with whatever kit lens comes with it. Any suggestions one way or the other?

If I go the a6000 route- Not sure what lens(es) to get. Supposedly the lenses available if I go this mirrorless route are limited, but it's still pretty overwhelming to someone with little knowledge. Also, still not completely opposed to another camera or even DSLR if anyone has a convincing argument.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I had a pretty annoying issue with a6300 overheating in video mode. I believe it's been fixed in newer Sony.
AZAG08
AG
GS I read that article the other day and completely missed that you wrote it. Great job!
Guitarsoup
AG
Thanks.

If you think of thinks you would like me to write on, let me know. Always need ideas
dubi
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Thanks.

If you think of thinks you would like me to write on, let me know. Always need ideas
1) techniques to handle shooting into the sun. Obviously I avoid it when possible.

2) shooting airplanes in flight
labmansid
Guitarsoup said:

Article I wrote on how to shoot sports in the rain. Goes with other forms of photography, as well:

https://fstoppers.com/education/how-prepare-shoot-sports-rain-288085
Great tips in that article.

One thing I carry in my bigger camera bags in a little used side pocket is an ordinary large trash bag or two. I haven't had to use it yet, but figure it could be used in a pinch for emergency cover, much like you suggested for the ponchos. Either for gear and/or my body since they are nice and big, and can't beat the price.

Several years ago in preparation for our Alaska trip, I bought one of those camera/lens covers similar to the Think Tank you mentioned. I don't remember the brand off hand, but it is clear plastic. I'm not sure if they even make that particular one now. Fortunately, I only had to use it once since we had great weather almost the whole trip. I thought I was going to need it for the Clemson game, but was able to just use our cheap ponchos for cover and bring the camera up when shooting. One of those things kind of like insurance, hope you never need it but glad it's there when you do. Unless, like you, you just enjoy shooting in the rain!
Civen
AG
I have a D5100 with a semi-broken shutter. Given the age and original price of the body I really don't want to spend the money to get it replaced; I feel I might as well take the chance to upgrade.

But now I'm stuck deciding where I want to go. I'd like a full frame sensor (for no particular reason, just that it seems to get better lense attention), but I already have a small handful of crop lenses. Nothing fantastic, 35/1.8 is my best. Is it worth it to completely start my collection over? And if so, should I stick with Nikon DSLR, or go with the new mirrorless stuff? Is a used body a real drawback?

I don't have a particularly strong brand loyalty, and with the amount of stuff that's new on the market I'm a bit lost. 99% of my shooting will be family stuff. Mix of indoors and outdoors, with more action stuff as the kids get older and into sports. I guess decent video ability would be nice, but I'm more concerned with stills. I can afford pretty much anything as long as there's a good case to be made for it's value over a cheaper alternative.

Help make my choices for me, please!?

dubi
AG
Do you just shoot for fun? I have 2 crop sensor cameras and they are all that I need right now.

Pick up a used camera on KEH.com

PS: I do have a collection of good glass that will work when/if I ever upgrade to full frame. I have only one crop lens that would need to be replaced.

bthotugigem05
AG
Civen said:

I have a D5100 with a semi-broken shutter. Given the age and original price of the body I really don't want to spend the money to get it replaced; I feel I might as well take the chance to upgrade.

But now I'm stuck deciding where I want to go. I'd like a full frame sensor (for no particular reason, just that it seems to get better lense attention), but I already have a small handful of crop lenses. Nothing fantastic, 35/1.8 is my best. Is it worth it to completely start my collection over? And if so, should I stick with Nikon DSLR, or go with the new mirrorless stuff? Is a used body a real drawback?

I don't have a particularly strong brand loyalty, and with the amount of stuff that's new on the market I'm a bit lost. 99% of my shooting will be family stuff. Mix of indoors and outdoors, with more action stuff as the kids get older and into sports. I guess decent video ability would be nice, but I'm more concerned with stills. I can afford pretty much anything as long as there's a good case to be made for it's value over a cheaper alternative.

Help make my choices for me, please!?

Get you a D500 and don't look back.
MBAR
AG
If you're not shooting low light then just get a crop sensor.
labmansid
MBAR said:

If you're not shooting low light then just get a crop sensor.
This. The main advantage a full frame has over a crop sensor is in handling low light. That gap has probably even narrowed some with recent sensor development. I remember not so long ago 800ISO on a crop was about the upper limit. Now I don't even cringe using 3200-6400ISO on a newer crop camera.

You mentioned mainly the need for shooting kids, action, and possibly sports. A crop sensor excels at those tasks over a full frame for the most part unless you get into pro gear.
dubi
AG
My last used Canon 70D was $500.
Post removed:
by user
tk for tu juan
More on Panasonic's upcoming full frame camera announcement next week:
https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-will-launch-two-new-full-frame-cameras-at-photokina-both-with-ibis-and-4k60p/

Really high res pixel shift:
https://www.l-rumors.com/l5-the-new-panasonic-ff-high-edn-camera-can-take-150-megapixel-images-in-pixel-shift-modus/
tk for tu juan
Who needs pixel shift when you can do 100mp in a single shutter button press...

https://m.dpreview.com/news/4993360090/fujifilm-developing-100mp-medium-format-with-phase-detection-and-ibis
bthotugigem05
AG
PhaseOne is bringing their new 150MP IQ4 system to Texas next week! I'm most likely going to their event in Dallas, I'll let yall know how it goes.
tk for tu juan
The Panasonic full frame has some of the features that Nikon and Canon missed with their initial mirrorless release (mainly two card slots), just have to wait and see what the final specs are in March. At least Sony and Nikon will get some revenue from the sale of XQD cards
First Page Last Page
Page 52 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.