Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

420,898 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nikon currently has a trade in deal on the Z6 & Z7. Turn in any old functional Nikon camera and get the value of the camera +$200 (Z6) or +$400 (Z7) towards your purchase. Also, FTZ adapter is free with any Z6/Z7 purchase.

I thinking of trading in my old D50 (which is worth $0.0) for a Z6 but can't decide between the Z6 and D500. At B&H I can get a Z6 with a bunch of extras (batter, bag, XD card, etc.) for $2,500.

Anyone have thoughts on either. I am currently shooting a D7000 which I plan to use with my 50/1.8 as an extra camera when I shoot my kids sports events.
Guitarsoup
AG
The D500 would be preferable for Sports but the Z6/Z7 would probably be the more enjoyable all around camera.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
One question that pops to mind, though, is if anyone has tried using a mirrorless (such as Z6/7) for night photography? I read somewhere that someone didn't enjoy it because the LCD underexposed the view to where you couldn't focus or frame your shot properly.
Guitarsoup
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

One question that pops to mind, though, is if anyone has tried using a mirrorless (such as Z6/7) for night photography? I read somewhere that someone didn't enjoy it because the LCD underexposed the view to where you couldn't focus or frame your shot properly.

What type of night photography? For night landscapes on a date, I always used LiveView to compose and focus.
javajaws
AG
Got a new macro for my xt-3 yesterday (80mm f/2.8). This thing is nice - I can't wait to get it on a tripod and try some focus stacking with it. Handheld jpg with a crop and just a bit of sharpening. Was at f/8...really needed more dof to get the other antennae in focus.

dubi
AG
WOW!
dave99ag
AG
Macro is a lot of fun if you can keep the subject still and get enough lighting. I've been chasing around kids for shots lately that I haven't used the 100m f/2.8 in awhile. Need to dust it off and find some bugs.

agracer
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Maximus_Meridius said:

What type of night photography? For night landscapes on a date, I always used LiveView to compose and focus.
I believe he js refering to the eye viewfinder LCD, not the back panel LCD
Fly Army 97
Recently purchased a Canon 80D and 50mm/1.8 lens. I already have an old 18-55 mm stock lens.

I'm going traveling soon and want a lens with ranges to take pics in a city and out in the country...lots of landscape. Any suggestions if I'm only taking the 50mm and one other lens? I don't want to break the bank, but do want something decent enough to learn on this camera. TIA.
heddleston
AG
Canon 24mm pancake. With the crop sensor its 35mm equivalent, so it wont be super wide for landscapes, but its a perfect compact walking around lens when traveling/hiking. If you want to upgrade your zoom i believe one of the Sigma/Tamron 17-50 2.8s can be found for less than $300
javajaws
AG
Yeah that 50 on a crop sensor will be tight for a lot of travel/landscape shots - you'll definitely want something wider probably. Then again, you might want something longer as well. Really depends on what/how you shoot. For length...get a 70-200 f/4 IS (used to save some money). Then either get something extra wide like Canon 10-18 or a better standard zoom - something like Canon ef-s 17-55 f/2.8 or Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 / Sigma 17-50 f2.8. Just prioritize on whatever focal length you think you might make use of best.

Or course you could always go primes as well - it'll force you to walk around more and think about your shots. I like quality primes over mediocre zooms any day.
javajaws
AG
Couple more shots with my macro. First one is a single shot, processed a little hot to make it look a little more industrial (but not too much).

This next one was a focus stack of 40 frames blended in PS. Didn't really care for how PS processed the edges (too much lost detail in the background). I guess I need to pony up for Helicon Focus. Really liked the table detail in this one - the full size images have so much detail its crazy.

Why isn't there a dedicated photo thread? Or is there?

dubi
AG
Quote:

I'm going traveling soon and want a lens with ranges to take pics in a city and out in the country...lots of landscape. Any suggestions if I'm only taking the 50mm and one other lens? I don't want to break the bank, but do want something decent enough to learn on this camera. TIA.

We own lots of nice heavy glass, but wanted a "do it all" lens to take on vacation.

In January we rented a Tamron 18-400 just for grins our our Curacao scuba trip. Honestly the photos were better than we expected and we got wide angle/zoom all in one. At home I use 10-22, 24-105, 70-200, and 100-400 for my shots. No way to take all that glass on a scuba trip. We liked it enough to buy one and that will be our one travel lens.

dubi
AG
Quote:

Create one and we will ask staff to pin it?

Typically i just post up my photos in this thread because it is the one that that has frequent activity from the hardcore contributors.
labmansid
jav said:

Well, there is this one.

https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/1017421/1

Then there are a couple on the Outdoors forum.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/1035224

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3010371
agracer
AG
Looking online, the Z6 is not the best option for mostly action camera. It does the job, but the D500 is a better option. The D7500 is also a good option, but everything I read online is the D500 is really better for action shots. Price is somewhat of an issue here. I mostly use the camera for my kids' sports events. Hoping GS will chime in here, but do you think I'll be happy with the D7500 ($1,150) at $650 less than the D500 ($1,800)? Both come with a kit from B&H with the Nikkor 16-80 f/2.8-4 for an extra $600 which is $400 below cost of the lens by itself.

My history is D50, D7000 and I've taken plenty of good photos with both cameras.

I almost bought a refurbished D7500 body "Deal of the Day" at B&H on Tuesday night for $699(Costo Visa adds 1-year to manu. warranty so no worries there).
k20dub
AG
Thinking about doing the Sony upgrade event that's ending in a few days and just buying the A7III.

Do these sites like BH or Adorama give a fair trade in on cameras? I have an a6300 with a couple of kit lenses and you get a bonus $200 when you trade in your old camera.
Jethro95
AG
I went from D7000 to D750 last year and have been extremely pleased. Not sure if you want to go full frame but it's in your price range.
hatchback
AG
I just took advantage of this offer and traded in my Nikon 1V1 and a couple of lenses on a Sony A7Rii.

I had an online offer from Adorama or BH that was more than the local camera store. However, the offer was contingent on final appraisal. In the end, I went with selling to the local store and buying from them. The 7r2 has an additional $200 bonus instant rebate that the 7iii doesn't.
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't have enough good things to say about my D500. I've used the Z6 and like it, but don't want to spend that money on something for fun, and wouldn't use it for professional work because it is a single-card slot camera.
k20dub
AG
Thanks for the info. I'll check that out.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Lens question. I have a Nikon D600 and am looking for a good telephoto lens to shoot my kids playing sports. What are my best options? Budget is $1500.
agracer
AG
By ThomAggieGunslinger said:

Lens question. I have a Nikon D600 and am looking for a good telephoto lens to shoot my kids playing sports. What are my best options? Budget is $1500.
Nikkon 200-500 f/5.6 has lots of good reviews for the price. But get a monopod as it gets heavy.

By Thom

dpreview

BH Has a used copy for $1,299 or new for $1,396
AggieGunslinger
AG
Thanks for the info, I wasn't even looking at that one because the 5.6 seems a little slow for action sports.

I have rented the 70-200/2.8 in the past and liked it but wanted to see what else was out there.
dubi
AG
Quote:

I have rented the 70-200/2.8 in the past and liked it but wanted to see what else was out there.

I use my 70-200 f2.8 about 95% of the time.
Guitarsoup
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

Thanks for the info, I wasn't even looking at that one because the 5.6 seems a little slow for action sports.

It is great in daytime. 5.6 at night in most places won't work
labmansid
AggieGunslinger said:

It depends a bit also on what conditions you are talking about shooting in, and what sports. Indoors or night shooting will require the faster glass, pretty much knocking out the 200-500. If you will be pretty close to the action, the 70-200 would be good. An f4 version would be closer to your price range, and only one stop difference in exposure, but that could be a big difference in sports. I have used a 300mm f4 with good success before, but a zoom is really handy in sports, especially if you have close access.

I always suggest renting before a major purchase, and you have already done that apparently. So you are already a bit ahead in the game. You just need to decide if you were satisfied enough with that rental for your needs, or if it was lacking something for you.
AggieGunslinger
AG
It will be mostly baseball and soccer. I think the 70-200 is still probably the choice.
Cromagnum
AG
May have been asked before but here goes anyways. Does anyone have any experience with that new Arsenal device that was kick-started?

https://witharsenal.com
dubi
AG
Cromagnum said:

May have been asked before but here goes anyways. Does anyone have any experience with that new Arsenal device that was kick-started?

I have one of these Pluto smart triggers.

Love it!

Look back to my 12/31/2018 post of fireworks.
labmansid
Cromagnum said:

I think someone did ask about it about a year or so ago. I actually joined a couple of Facebook groups dedicated to its use to follow progress on it out of curiosity. When it was finally initially released, it was still essentially a product in beta testing, and many users were very disappointed. Many features promised did not work or worked poorly. I haven't followed as closely lately, but I think they have been pushing out updates to make it closer to what was promised. Still a lot of bugs to work out though I think.

Many users felt as though most of the promised features, like HDR, time lapse, and focus stacking, were better served by just doing them in post processing on the raw images. Of course, less experienced photographers didn't want to mess with the post processing, and that is probably who the device is really targeted at. So it was a bit of a Catch-22 situation at first.

Here are the links to the FB groups if you want some real world input on the system.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2223484741002521/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/404129356648197/

I will add, like dubi, I also have the Pluto trigger, and find it quite versatile as a triggering device, if that is mainly what you are looking for. I still haven't utilized all of its features yet, but will likely experiment with it further at some point.
MBAR
AG
Can you guys talk about the Pluto? What and how do you use it? I haven't bought any gear in awhile so now I'm intrigued lol
dubi
AG
MBAR said:

Can you guys talk about the Pluto? What and how do you use it? I haven't bought any gear in awhile so now I'm intrigued lol

My biggest experience was using it for fireworks.

I used one camera manually and a 2nd camera with the Pluto set to fireworks mode. It fired completely unattended for 45 minutes during a fireworks show and the photos were perfect.

I intend to try it at the gun range with sound as the trigger.

Download the instruction manual and see the different trigger options.

Album
labmansid
One thing I have used the Pluto for in a limited manner so far is for shooting lightning during the daytime. That is tough to do manually, virtually impossible. I hope to try more during the upcoming storm season. At night, it's easy. Just take repeated exposures, preferably using an intervalometer which the Pluto will do, until you get it in the shot. The Pluto has a specific mode for lightning which seems to work well during the day. Here is an example.

I also got the water drop kit with mine. I have played around with it a bit, but still need to get my setup and settings adjusted better. It has some real potential, and I have seen some fantastic work from others using it.

It also has sound, motion, and laser trigger modes which I have not really tried yet. Pretty versatile little gadget. All controlled from your smartphone.

MBAR
AG
If it's a decent lightning trigger that's a good deal. The one I was going to get was over 400.
First Page Last Page
Page 62 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.