Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

417,272 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
labmansid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah I was impressed with it for lightning. It triggered several shots where the lightning was barely noticeable even away from where I was pointed. It takes a bit of experimenting at first to get it dialed in, but not bad. One of the hardest parts is getting the exposure settings right to get a slow shutter speed to catch it during the day. I actually bought one of those dedicated lightning triggers a few years ago, not for $400 though, and was mostly frustrated with it. The Pluto seems to do the job well enough.
bthotugigem05
AG
A happy Photography Thread birthday to our resident expert, GuitarSoup!
nai06
AG
What are your thoughts on this camera?

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_t30/specifications/

Using it for some travel/Instagram photos and maybe some headshots
agracer
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

It will be mostly baseball and soccer. I think the 70-200 is still probably the choice.
The 70-200 will be fine on the small soccer fields, but as soon as your kid starts playing on a full sized field you will find you always seem to be on the wrong side of the field.
Guitarsoup
AG
In soccer, the 70-200 is fine when you are behind the goal and the players are inside the box. Outside of that and you are going to be wanting for reach.
javajaws
AG
nai06 said:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_t30/specifications/

I've got the big brother x-t3 and I love it. Fantastic system and the lenses are great. Nice middle ground between full frame and micro four thirds...perfect for travel while still being a quality system.

The cheaper kit zoom lens isn't bad...but I think the primes are really really good. For what you listed I'd suggest the 35 f/2 and 56 f/1.2 as a starting point.
nai06
AG
javajaws said:

nai06 said:

I've got the big brother x-t3 and I love it. Fantastic system and the lenses are great. Nice middle ground between full frame and micro four thirds...perfect for travel while still being a quality system.

The cheaper kit zoom lens isn't bad...but I think the primes are really really good. For what you listed I'd suggest the 35 f/2 and 56 f/1.2 as a starting point.
My wife was looking at this and I wonder if we would be better off buying the body and a lens instead of the entire package

https://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Digital-18-55mm-Battery-Charger/dp/B07P7WY81G/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=FUJIFILM+X-T30&qid=1554084367&s=gateway&sr=8-2
agracer
AG
Played with all the cameras I'm considering this weekend. It was in the store so if limited use but got to hold and shoot them, adjust some focus settings, etc. The D500 and Z6 has good glass on them the d7500 a kit lens.

Really liked the Z6 a lot. Small, light, view finder was crystal clear and focus was very quick.

D500 felt like a really big and the dials were obviously very different from my D7000. Focus was very quick and it fired off frames like a machine gun.

D7500 felt like a new version of what I'm already shooting.

I can rent a D500 for a week for $65 from a local store so I might try that for the next big sports weekend.

One thing, the sports shooting will pretty much end next spring when the youngest goes to college. The light portablity of the Z6 will be more appealing a year from now.
javajaws
AG
nai06 said:

javajaws said:

nai06 said:

My wife was looking at this and I wonder if we would be better off buying the body and a lens instead of the entire package

https://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Digital-18-55mm-Battery-Charger/dp/B07P7WY81G/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=FUJIFILM+X-T30&qid=1554084367&s=gateway&sr=8-2

That would be a steep price for that kit lens and junk accessories.

This is a much better combo deal...basically getting the 35mm prime for $100:

https://www.adorama.com/ifjxt30csl2.html

Or this 2 lens combo:

https://www.adorama.com/ifjxt30ck1l2.html

UpstateAg
AG
Looking at a Nikon d3500 for taking on a family trip to Ireland (so landscapes and kids playing in landscapes). This would be my first DSLR, so wanting to keep it under 750. Reviews seem solid. Am I buying into an ecosystem like with apple?
nai06
AG
javajaws said:

nai06 said:

javajaws said:

nai06 said:

That would be a steep price for that kit lens and junk accessories.

This is a much better combo deal...basically getting the 35mm prime for $100:

https://www.adorama.com/ifjxt30csl2.html

Or this 2 lens combo:

https://www.adorama.com/ifjxt30ck1l2.html

Thanks for the help
agracer
AG
UpstateAg said:

Looking at a Nikon d3500 for taking on a family trip to Ireland (so landscapes and kids playing in landscapes). This would be my first DSLR, so wanting to keep it under 750. Reviews seem solid. Am I buying into an ecosystem like with apple?
Yes and no. The kit lenses are pretty cheap so switching to a different system years from now is not going to set you back a lot. If you start buying expensive lenses, then yes, you're investing into a system.

Instead of the DSLR for vacation, consider the Sony RX100 line. I think it's on it's 4th version now and older versions are still available for reasonable costs. It's got a 1" sensor (vs the APS-C in the consumer DSLR's) so you'll still get good image data and a nice Leica lens on it. It's gotten great reviews for basically every version/update Sony has done. It's also small and light and easier to carry than a DSLR.

Sony RX 100
UpstateAg
AG
I went ahead with the 3500. Target price matched Amazons refurbished unit, and so I walked away with the dual lens kit, a new bag, and the nicest card in stock for under 500. I just couldn't resist.
agracer
AG
UpstateAg said:

I went ahead with the 3500. Target price matched Amazons refurbished unit, and so I walked away with the dual lens kit, a new bag, and the nicest card in stock for under 500. I just couldn't resist.
Enjoy.

Look through the manual (I know...who needs instructions) and if your new to DSLR/photography, look for a local shop or even community college that offers classes and learn how to use your camera in something besides 'auto' mode. I bought my first SLR Film camera (Nikon N65) in 2000 and took a 5 session class at the local junior college and my skills and photos got a lot better with some simple instruction.
91_Aggie
AG
I've got some questions.
My 16 year old daughter requested a Nikon camera for her birthday. She won't say exactly why she wants a camera, but she is on yearbook staff and has been using a camera school year that school lets her use. I think she has a friend who has an expensive camera and really wants one for that reason. I don't want to break the bank but she has some expensive requests (she wants the 18-140mm lens so she doesn't have to inconvenienced by switching out lenses).

So, I've done some basic research and apparently Nikon makes three main models
(she initially requested a D7200, so i started research based on that.).

Looks like Nikon makes three lines of these D modesl
  • D3xxx
  • D5xxx
  • D7xxx

So what's the main difference between these 3 models? Is the D3xxxx really missing out on something the D5/D7 has?
She really wants one with Wifi so she can get pictures off of them easily.

Appreciate any insight.
dubi
AG
I'm a Canon girl so I can't really help with the models. However I love the WIFI feature in my camera!
UpstateAg
AG
I just got the d3500. No wifi but the Bluetooth has been easy for me to use. Takes stuff right off the camera onto my phone.
MBAR
AG
I think I'm going to pick up a Pluto. Thanks for the tip. As long as we get storms in the plain, I'll be able to test out the lighting trigger soon.
dave99ag
AG
I have a remote trigger, but the Pluto has me interested for the lightning feature. West Texas storms would be perfect for this!
agracer
AG
91_Aggie said:

I've got some questions.
My 16 year old daughter requested a Nikon camera for her birthday. She won't say exactly why she wants a camera, but she is on yearbook staff and has been using a camera school year that school lets her use. I think she has a friend who has an expensive camera and really wants one for that reason. I don't want to break the bank but she has some expensive requests (she wants the 18-140mm lens so she doesn't have to inconvenienced by switching out lenses).

So, I've done some basic research and apparently Nikon makes three main models
(she initially requested a D7200, so i started research based on that.).

Looks like Nikon makes three lines of these D modesl
  • D3xxx
  • D5xxx
  • D7xxx

So what's the main difference between these 3 models? Is the D3xxxx really missing out on something the D5/D7 has?
She really wants one with Wifi so she can get pictures off of them easily.

Appreciate any insight.
The higher up the line, the more pro-like features the camera will have.

They are all 20+ MegaPixel sensors. The D7xxx has more focus options than the others (pro-like feature where you control how the camera works vs auto everything).

Go here to compare them;
https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/dslr-cameras/index.page#

The D7200 is not listed, but it's very close the the d7500.

Really what does she want it for? The "inconvenience" of switching lenses is b/c you need different glass for different situations. That 18-140 lens won't be worth much if she wants to shoot school sports or even indoor events that do not allow a flash.

I would try to gauge how serious she is about this, maybe offer some $$ towards a more high end model and let her pick up the rest. If she balks at spending he own money, then you know the answer...get her the D3500 with the 2-lens kit from B&H with some extra's bundled in (SD card, case, etc.)
labmansid
MBAR said:

I think I'm going to pick up a Pluto. Thanks for the tip. As long as we get storms in the plain, I'll be able to test out the lighting trigger soon.
I am in a Pluto users FB group. It is filled mostly with water drop examples, but does include other features such as lightning on occasion. Might be helpful.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1765840780359387/?ref=nf_target&fref=nf
MBAR
AG
labmansid said:

MBAR said:

I am in a Pluto users FB group. It is filled mostly with water drop examples, but does include other features such as lightning on occasion. Might be helpful.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1765840780359387/?ref=nf_target&fref=nf
I ended up also getting a MIOP trigger. My plan is to try them both side by side with lightning and keep the one that performs better.

The Lightning Trigger 4, which is the one I was planning to get previously, is about 329 now. So its still way more than either of these. But I know that one performs extremely well.

The MIOPS has a stormlapse mode that I'm really intrigued by though. You can setup for a time lapse, and it will trigger the camera if a bolt of lightning hits as well as keep the time lapse frames at the rate you've set up. I find that really intriguing.
MBAR
AG
I've been out a couple of times in the past few weeks to take some shots at the bonfire memorial. The star trails was pretty challenging due to all the ambient light. Faint lens flaring was also an issue as on a normal exposure here's no problem but over 30 seconds it shows up too brightly. I'm still pretty happy with my first try there.

dubi
AG
What were your camera settings on the first photo and which lens did you use?

Beautiful photos!
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
My son has been using my old camera and kit lens for his youtube channel. Autofocus on the old kit lens died. Sounds like a broken gear. Anyway, I'm looking for an affordable replacement. He's been using the standard Nikon 18-55 kit lens. Anybody have one they'd be willing to sell pretty cheap?
bthotugigem05
AG
I think those things run like $100 brand new, I'm seeing used ones in great condition for $70ish at KEH.
Guitarsoup
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I think those things run like $100 brand new, I'm seeing used ones in great condition for $70ish at KEH.

That's the right way to go.
aggie4231
AG
Anybody got any recommendations or sites for tips on shooting nighttime sky? Going to Hawaii, the big island, in May. Plan on doing a late night to sunrise tour of Mauna Kea, and an evening to nighttime tour on the NW portion of the island. Have a Sony RX100-5.

Went in December and did nighttimes on Mauna Kea, and only had my iPhone and a less capable Sony P&S.

There are definitely more visible stars over there than here in TX. So many that I even had a hard time finding Orion at first.
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
OasisMan
AG
Just got the Z6
labmansid
aggie4231 said:

Anybody got any recommendations or sites for tips on shooting nighttime sky? Going to Hawaii, the big island, in May. Plan on doing a late night to sunrise tour of Mauna Kea, and an evening to nighttime tour on the NW portion of the island. Have a Sony RX100-5.

Went in December and did nighttimes on Mauna Kea, and only had my iPhone and a less capable Sony P&S.

There are definitely more visible stars over there than here in TX. So many that I even had a hard time finding Orion at first.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/theArtOfNightPhotographyGroup/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NightShots/

A tripod or other sturdy support is a necessity for longer exposures. For stars/constellation shots using wide angle lenses, 20-30 second exposures will usually limit any noticeable trailing from the stars. For standard focal length lenses such as 50mm, shorter exposures are likely needed.

Before you go, try to determine the highest ISO on your camera you are comfortable with for noise. 1600-6400 ISO will usually do a good job for stars or Milky Way, especially with most fairly recent cameras.

Don't be afraid to try different combinations, it's easier to delete than go back and try again. I hope the volcanoes cooperate for you.
agracer
AG
Just rented a D500 from a local place. Had a hell of a time getting my d7000 to focus at track last week. It's always been a little flacky with fast moving subjects (and I'm out of practice but it's always been that way, even had it repaired once under warranty by Nikon)

I've read a million good things about the D500 and sports photography. Track meet and soccer this weekend so I should have plenty of good opportunity to test this thing out.
MBAR
AG
dubi said:

What were your camera settings on the first photo and which lens did you use?

Beautiful photos!
I used my 14mm Rokinon. I wanted to use a longer focal length, but my 17-40 kept giving me horrible flares. I finally got fed up and tried the Rokinon and it was better, but the distortion is fairly bad.

The star trails were 60 30 second exposures at F8, 500 ISO. Opening it up or bumping up the ISO will give you mor stars, but it also greatly increases the light pollution factor. Its a tough balance. The foreground is F8, ISO 100, 25 seconds.
bthotugigem05
AG
Ever think of moving to the other side of the Bonfire Memorial to get the star trails and just composite them in behind the Bonfire Memorial foreground? Might help some of the light pollution from the Memorial itself.
MBAR
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Ever think of moving to the other side of the Bonfire Memorial to get the star trails and just composite them in behind the Bonfire Memorial foreground? Might help some of the light pollution from the Memorial itself.
I hadn't considered that. Shooting out over the empty field would help for sure but there's so much stuff on Texas now that it probably won't change too much. Good idea though!
agracer
AG
Son's soccer game was rescheduled so I canceled the D500 rental.

Looking online, I'm starting to thing the D7500 will be more than enough for what I need. Anyone shot both care to comment?
First Page Last Page
Page 63 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.