Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

420,186 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

How does an old Ag Class of '01 take advantage of this?

1) Setup a former students email if you have not already done so.
2) Use drive.google.com for unlimited storage on that account.

Login to https://www.aggienetwork.com/
Scroll down a bit and on the right side of the page it says:

AggieNetwork.com Email Addresses
Link to email page.

How does '01 make you old? From a really really old Ag class of '86.
watty
AG
Thanks so much!

And yeah that's actually the first time I've called myself an "old" Ag, haha. I'm feeling it because all my friends are turning 40 and I turn 40 this summer!

But anyway thanks, I got the email set up and sure enough, free unlimited storage. Great deal.
AgGunNut
AG
Cross-post from Classifieds.

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3023885/replies/53853542#53853542
Tabasco
AG
Photo editing... what do you guys use?

I used to use the basic Picasa back in the day, but I know they got bought out and subsumed within Google Photos. I have not used that, and maybe that is good enough for basic photo editing (is it good enough?).

I know a lot of photographers use Lightroom (now Lightroom CC; cloud based), but to be honest, I loath the thought of adding yet another subscription service to my life. Seems like I am being drained 10 bucks a month at a time. I know there is a free version for mobile, but I assume there is no way to use it on a desktop for dslr photos.

What do you guys recommend? If it is 10 bucks a month for the rest of my life with lightroom cc, so be it. But are there any other options? I don't need cloud storage, since I have the unlimited with aggie network.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Lately I've been playing around with two open-source projects, RawTherapee and DarkTable. Both of them are pretty powerful, from what I have seen thus far, but the interfaces might be a little different than you're used to. But there are guys on YouTube that are giving some good tutorials. Might give 'em a look.
heddleston
AG
Darktable has been great as a Lightroom alternative.
Jethro95
AG
Do you shoot RAW on your DSLR? If so, then I would go with Lightroom for that. I think they have a free 30 day trial and there is a learning curve. For everything else that is not RAW I've been very happy with the Snapseed App on iOS.
Tabasco
AG
I don't do raw. Thanks for recommendations and open source alternatives.

And is GIMP still the best open source alternative to photoshop?

The editing program I am asking about is for my 14yo daughter who will be doing some concert photography for the first time. Any tips would be appreciated. She will be using canon T5i with Tamron 17-50 2.8. I also have canon 50 1.4 and Sigma 11-16 2.8, but I think she wants to use the first one.
flintdragon
AG
I'm still using some old copy of lightroom. Depending on your needs, that may be all you need. I'm not a pro and just want to make my volleyball shots look decent. I take the best shot I can on camera and my process is:
1. download photos
2. flag and filter good photos
3. bulk change exposure (usually need to increase a bit) and single changes here and there
4. bulk change to reduce graininess
5. individually crop
6. export to JPG

That's it. I don't have time for much more than that.
dubi
AG
Try shooting raw!
Tabasco
AG
Thought about it. Does everything have to be converted after shooting raw? Is it a big adjustment?
Tabasco
AG
flintdragon said:

I'm still using some old copy of lightroom. Depending on your needs, that may be all you need. I'm not a pro and just want to make my volleyball shots look decent. I take the best shot I can on camera and my process is:
1. download photos
3. bulk change exposure (usually need to increase a bit) and single changes here and there
5. individually crop
6. export to JPG

That is actually very helpful (workflow)
HECUBUS
AG
I do 1,2 and 5 when needed and start with 24M jpeg. That takes too long at 250-400 shots a game and usually eight games in a small tournament. I'm keeping about 2 action shots per player per game for an 11 player rotation plus celebration shots.
dubi
AG
Tabasco said:

Thought about it. Does everything have to be converted after shooting raw? Is it a big adjustment?
I edit the raw photo in LR then export as jpg for consumption.

It will be much higher resolution so you can crop more and still have a great photo. It MUST be edited to pull out the colors.
labmansid
flintdragon said:

1. download photos
5. individually crop
6. export to JPG

My LR workflow is similar. One thing I do differently is during import I have a preset that is automatically applied to all photos during import. This preset is composed of the basic changes I would usually apply to most photos anyway, such as slight boosting of contrast, sharpening, and saturation, so I don't need to fiddle with each photo as much. Then it's mostly just culling, cropping, and export to JPEG. Another nice feature is the option to apply a watermark during export.
flintdragon
AG
Cool, I was afraid you experts might laugh at my workflow. I'm super lazy and only pick out the best of the best to reduce my workload. Usually about 50 shots from an entire weekend when all is said and done.
FTAG 2000
AG
I'm cleaning out my old photo stuff and purging some things via eBay, etc. and need some help.

I've got two old Smart Media cards (SanDisk) that seem to have a decent demand for online.

Is there a utility that will help me determine card specs? I have the model number (SanDisk SDSM-128), but can't determine specifically what voltage these cards are (3.3V or 5V).

I tried chatting online with SanDIsk but the mensa candidate I got via chat said that SanDisk can't provide tech specs for their cards.
theterk
AG
I got a question for y'all : I'm running a Canon T7i with a Sigma 18-55mm Art lens. Would it be better to run a Canon 24mm 2.8 lens instead for videos? this would be shot in a static area, so no need for zooms/etc
bthotugigem05
AG
Hard to say without knowing the type of videos, type of lighting, etc.

Generally primes are sharper than zooms but I'm not sure it's a material difference for video.
dubi
AG
I've shot nice video with my canon 24-105 hand me down from Guitarsoup. Good lighting makes good video.
theterk
AG
ya, I've got plenty of light, but I think bthotu nailed it, will I get better video from a cheaper prime lens vs a more expensive zoom lens. i got some free "Shrute Bucks" from work, and I can buy some lenses with it, so thought I'd ask
I'll be doing a lot of closer shots for product B roll and what not, and of course VLog type video. no action or high frame-rate video
Blue Duck
AG
Does anyone have experience with the new Z6? Especially in comparison to the Sony a7iii? I've just about driven myself crazy comparing the 2 and watching every review I can find. I'm no closer today than I was a few weeks ago when I started. I'm mainly interested in still photos and the video capabilities aren't quite as important. The one card slot of the Z6 doesn't bother me but I don't have much familiarity with the XQD card type. I put a premium on low light performance, being able to shoot in silent mode and whatever I end up with needs to be able to withstand being out in the elements quite a bit.

Any input or experiences would be appreciated!
Guitarsoup
AG
Have a couple friends with the Z6. Fantastic camera. I have shot about 1.4MM photos on XQD and have never had a corruption or lost file and find it to be very fast and reliable.

Single-card slot is a deal breaker for me since all my shooting is professional.
Blue Duck
AG

I couldn't take it anymore and picked one. I love my Sony a5100 and this camera just seems to be made for my hand. This lens gets some really good reviews and I like the wide range of options it gives me. Now I just need to get outside and see how it works.
bthotugigem05
AG
Excellent combo!
BMo
Blue Duck said:

I couldn't take it anymore and picked one. I love my Sony a5100 and this camera just seems to be made for my hand. This lens gets some really good reviews and I like the wide range of options it gives me. Now I just need to get outside and see how it works.
Very nice! I'm waiting for the mystical "miniA9" myself to add to the A7R3. Enjoy the new rig.
hatchback
AG
Going to be upgrading from my Nikon 1 V1 to a Sony ARii before the end of the month. I'm really looking forward to the full-frame life.
Blue Duck
AG

3 days later ... I'm pretty pleased with my purchase. I've spent a ton of time trying to get the settings and custom buttons to my liking. I upgraded the strap to a peak design and got a screen protector. The shutter speed and the auto focus is pretty incredible. These are a few of my favorites that I've taken in the last couple of days.

Ag92NGranbury
AG
how much would it cost to bring guitarsoup up to ftw to teach me on a game weekend?
k20dub
AG
I'm sure this has been covered at some point in this thread, but I'll ask anyway.

Best recommendations for camera rental? It would be for the beginning of July.

I'm in the Houston area.

I've priced out BorrowLenses.com and Houston Photo Rental Source and they're about the same, BL was actually a little cheaper.

For reference, will be renting a Sony a7iii with GM 16-35mm and 24-70mm lenses. Also, potentially a DJI Ronin S.
hatchback
AG
I've had excellent experiences with renting from Borrow Lenses. I rented the Sony a7iii and a couple of lenses from them just last month and was very happy.
dubi
AG
https://www.lensrentals.com/

They email out coupons frequently and we have been happy with their products.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
I've used LensRentals twice. Positive experience both times.
k20dub
AG
Thanks for the tips! Will check those out.
dubi
AG
dubi said:

https://www.lensrentals.com/

They email out coupons frequently and we have been happy with their products.
We have started renting every lens we want to buy just to make sure we like it.

It has proven to be worthwhile both ways:
1) we rented an expensive lens and didn't like it.
2) rented a cheaper "travel" 18-400 lens for a vacation and we were really surprised at the photo quality. We subsequently purchased it for those times that we need to pick just one lens for a trip.

We have gotten really spoiled. I have 3 camera bodies and before any outing i choose the 3 lenses that i'd like to use that day. So i basically just switch from camera to camera. I do this because most of my photography is in the dusty environment of a gun range and I will not swap lenses outdoors. I will occasionally get in the car and swap a lens but that is rare.
First Page Last Page
Page 61 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.