Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

412,182 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by Bregxit
reddog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FYI photo-presets is also running a steep sale right now.

Honestly, if I selected a preset that came with Lightroom and then tweaked it some, I wouldn't have any second thoughts. Idk why I've always hesitated on purchasing presets to use the same way. It's really the same thing.
BMo
In case anyone needs SD/CF combination in a dual card camera. Dual card, 64 GB
512Ag
AG
This might not be the proper thread to ask, but I'll ask anyway:

I have a couple of old 35mm cameras (canon eos rebel Ti & rebel x) and an older model dslr (Olympus e300) that I want to get rid of. I know they're not worth much, but I'd still like to get a little cash for them. Am I better off selling them on Craigslist, or should I take them to a shop? Thanks.
Guitarsoup
AG
AggieDem said:

This might not be the proper thread to ask, but I'll ask anyway:

I have a couple of old 35mm cameras (canon eos rebel Ti & rebel x) and an older model dslr (Olympus e300) that I want to get rid of. I know they're not worth much, but I'd still like to get a little cash for them. Am I better off selling them on Craigslist, or should I take them to a shop? Thanks.
All together, you might get $25-50 in a shop. You would probably be better off donating them to a school or something.
512Ag
AG
That's a good idea. I hadn't thought about donating to a school. Thanks!
dubi
AG
We tried to sell our old Rebel and failed.

Give it away.
TexasAggie_02
AG
You could try eBay and see if some hipster buys it
khkman22
AG
I looked at the Amazing Sky website and they said to focus on a bright star for a telephoto lens, but they didn't say where you should focus for a wide angle lens. I have a 28-75 and am away from most light pollution, but there are some personal security lights that put off quite a bit of light depending on how much you are focused on them.

With this type of lens, is there a general focus spot I should try for? A brighter star as well? I've tried shooting a full moon in the past and haven't fared well.

The website also said to use manual and not an auto exposure mode. Should I use full manual or is it okay to use aperture or shutter priority?
dubi
AG
Use full manual mode
Manual focus

I've already done my test photos and have the tripod outside. My only worry is clouds coming in.
dubi
AG
Don't you have a zoom lens? I'm shooting at 400mm.

I focus on the moon.
khkman22
AG
No, just 28-75. I might be able to get a few ugly trees in to help have somewhat of a scene since I can't zoom much, but I'm not expecting much.
dubi
AG
khkman22 said:

No, just 28-75. I might be able to get a few ugly trees in to help have somewhat of a scene since I can't zoom much, but I'm not expecting much.
Some lenses have to back off of infinity to be in focus.

Use a flashlight to focus on a tree near infinity, then just point at moon. Rent a lens next time.
reddog90
AG
Has anyone taken online classes through Luxe Lens? I'm considering buying their Lightroom Intermediate and Secrets classes while they're on sale. The curriculum looks good for me, and I supposedly have indefinite access to the material by logging in through their website if I want to refer back in the future.
Guitarsoup
AG
reddog90 said:

Has anyone taken online classes through Luxe Lens? I'm considering buying their Lightroom Intermediate and Secrets classes while they're on sale. The curriculum looks good for me, and I supposedly have indefinite access to the material by logging in through their website if I want to refer back in the future.
Never even heard of it.

If you are in Houston (or know someone who is), get a Houston Public Library card and you can use Lynda for free.
BMo
Guitarsoup said:

reddog90 said:

Never even heard of it.

If you are in Houston (or know someone who is), get a Houston Public Library card and you can use Lynda for free.
Youtube is full of good material on LR, PS etc as well.
Guitarsoup
AG
BMo said:

Guitarsoup said:

reddog90 said:

Never even heard of it.

Youtube is full of good material on LR, PS etc as well.
Yep. Plus Fstoppers's has a great Lightroom tutorial: https://fstoppers.com/product/fstoppers-intro-lightroom-ultimate-crash-course

And I think Creative Live has a few.
reddog90
AG
Guitarsoup said:

reddog90 said:

Never even heard of it.

How do I log into Lynda using a library card? Or do I log into the library's website and then search for Lynda courses?
Guitarsoup
AG
reddog90 said:

Guitarsoup said:

reddog90 said:

Never even heard of it.

How do I log into Lynda using a library card? Or do I log into the library's website and then search for Lynda courses?
http://houstonlibrary.org/lyndacom
BMo
javajaws said:

I don't have the time to sell to individuals...so for me it's mpb.com. If you want to sell at used retail I would probably suggest fredmiranda.com
How is your experience with mpb.com? I'm looking at doing a trade with them.
Sazerac
AG
For Sale
Nikon D50 with Tamron 18-200 lens and 2GB SD carD.

Make an offer. PM or post here.
BMo
For anyone interested in Sony gear.

Sony Trade-In
Ag92NGranbury
AG
This might have already been covered in the last 59 pages...

but...

What method(s) do you use for organizing your digital photos and backing them up?

I'll hang up and listen.
bthotugigem05
AG
Three 8TB hard drives, whatever happens in drive A is copied to drive B every night. I copy to drive C once a month and then unplug the drive.

I upload finished images to Amazon photos. The only thing I still need to do is grab another 8TB drive and store it off-site at my office or something.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag92NGranbury said:

but...

What method(s) do you use for organizing your digital photos and backing them up?

I'll hang up and listen.

I use SmugMug for online storage (close to 2mm photos) and have a series of hard drives and RAIDs that are offline for storage at home and in the office.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
thanks... one more question...

due to an unusual circumstance, i happen to have about $650 on credit at fw camera... looking for a good camera for carrying when i don't want to carry the monster...

any ideas? can be +/- the amount as well...
Guitarsoup
AG
Canon G-Series PowerShot it's usually the best bet if you want something better than your phone. Fuji X100 series is pretty good, but it is 35mm only and don't know what they cost now
dubi
AG
Smugmug and Crashplan
labmansid
FYI for anyone looking for photo editing software, B&H Photo is having a sale on Photoshop Elements. Normally $99.99, now $69.99 for a limited time. Not a bad deal.

Link
hatchback
AG
Not a question but posting my excitement that I'm renting a Sony a7 III and the 24-70 f2.8 GM lens for an architecture trip later this month. Considering I rented this camera last summer but with a different lens. I'm excited to try it out again.
bthotugigem05
AG
Absolutely wonderful camera/lens combo, but I'm kinda biased
HECUBUS
AG
I'm really enjoying the a7iii with a tamron 28-75mm 2.8 shooting club volleyball from the sidelines. Small and light with amazing focus and low light results. First tournament was last Saturday.

Looking forward to the 70-200 version.
dubi
AG
Quote:

I own the Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 and it is by far my favorite lens.
BMo
HECUBUS said:

I'm really enjoying the a7iii with a tamron 28-75mm 2.8 shooting club volleyball from the sidelines. Small and light with amazing focus and low light results. First tournament was last Saturday.

That lens is my next Sony E-mount lens acquisition. We have the original a7 that is mint and does what we call on it to do and the a7RIII. Loving Sony after moving from Canon. I did just purchase a used Nikon D500 to play with until the mini a9 comes out.
FTAG 2000
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

I own the Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 and it is by far my favorite lens.
This, got one of these too (for my D750), hell of a lens.
FTAG 2000
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Ag92NGranbury said:

but...

I'll hang up and listen.

I use SmugMug for online storage (close to 2mm photos) and have a series of hard drives and RAIDs that are offline for storage at home and in the office.

How are the editing tools on SmugMug?
First Page Last Page
Page 59 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.