Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

421,736 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Bregxit
MBAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

#2, however, did you read that all submissions to that contest become the property of Texas A&M?
This is what stops me from submitting every year. The prize is roughly 300 bucks for my permit which is fine but I don't want to lose total control of my photo. I'd be OK with them using my photo, but I'm not OK with them owning it outright.
labmansid
I'm somewhat torn between 2 and 3. I am often just lukewarm when it comes to B&W, but I think I prefer it in this case.
dubi
AG
Since I shot so many that are "similar", losing the rights to that one photo really does not matter to me.
MBAR
AG
One thing to keep in mind if you're going to submit a photo is that most of the permits are fairly vertical. It would be hard to find a good way to use landscape oriented photos on a vertical permit. They do have some that are more horizontal but the vast majority are not.
dubi
AG
MBAR said:

One thing to keep in mind if you're going to submit a photo is that most of the permits are fairly vertical. It would be hard to find a good way to use landscape oriented photos on a vertical permit. They do have some that are more horizontal but the vast majority are not.

I thought about that.

I have some vertical photos in the series and thought about editing a "pair" of photos and submitting them together.

MBAR
AG
I think that one would work way more than the others!
dubi
AG
How will this one work landscape?
dubi
AG
A pair of photos! Format them identically and submit!

Or submit the landscape one and they can crop it to portrait.

dubi
AG
FYI, that was actually the moon in the photos above.
Guitarsoup
AG
Can't believe it's been five years since I switched, but here is an article on my feelings about switching:

https://fstoppers.com/originals/five-year-retrospective-switching-nikon-canon-311505
FTAG 2000
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Nah, not really. I mean we'll see when I try to leave the country, but I've flown it up that way before and didn't run into any issues.

What was your max altitude for that shot? It's okay if you don't want to say until you get out of country.
bthotugigem05
AG
Remind me in a few days if I don't get back to you.
bthotugigem05
AG
I took off from The Peak area on top of a mountain, so I was already probably 2000 feet AGL over downtown, then I ascended another 650 feet.
mjpfeffer98
AG
That's a great article - also I read it last week (I think) and didn't even realize it was you that wrote it!

LOL
AggieDruggist89
AG
Some micro 4/3 love. OM-D M-1 Mark II with 40-150mm f2.8 with TC 1.4X

Monterey, CA

dubi
AG
Crop factor cheap Canon love!

Canon 70D
Canon 100-400 II

AggieDruggist89
AG
You just had to show me off with your BIF!

I was going to apologize mine wasn't a BIF!
BMo
dubi said:

Crop factor cheap Canon love!

Canon 70D
Canon 100-400 II

Very nice!
BMo
Does anyone know the person selling a 7D2 and 100-400 on craigslist? I have a friend that saw them and he's thinking he is in the market. I told him I would see what I could find out.
dubi
AG
Link?
BMo
dubi said:

Link?

They are both on this page.

7D2 and 100-400
dubi
AG
I don't think that I know them.
BMo
FYI for anyone shooting Sony or know someone that does.

Sony lens FS at College Station Craigslist
javajaws
AG
What do you get when you have G.A.S. at Christmas?

A camera Ho Ho Hoar!

I wasn't feeling the love from my previous downgrade from Canon FF to u43 with the G9 after carrying it around for a couple weeks on vacation. So I dumped the G9 and went to APS-C with the Fuji x-t3. Loving the feel of this camera so far! Its a stunning little thing and the lenses aren't bad either! Its got literally everything I want except IBIS. Maybe some day in a future body upgrade... For now though fast glass for stills and one stabilized zoom for video will get me by and then some.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
BMo
javajaws said:

What do you get when you have G.A.S. at Christmas?

A camera Ho Ho Hoar!

I wasn't feeling the love from my previous downgrade from Canon FF to u43 with the G9 after carrying it around for a couple weeks on vacation. So I dumped the G9 and went to APS-C with the Fuji x-t3. Loving the feel of this camera so far! Its a stunning little thing and the lenses aren't bad either! Its got literally everything I want except IBIS. Maybe some day in a future body upgrade... For now though fast glass for stills and one stabilized zoom for video will get me by and then some.
Very nice! Where do you normally sell gear? Or anyone else for that matter.
javajaws
AG
I don't have the time to sell to individuals...so for me it's mpb.com. If you want to sell at used retail I would probably suggest fredmiranda.com
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Guitarsoup
AG
I only sell locally. Too many bad experiences selling and shipping by friends and me over the years.

BMo
javajaws said:

I don't have the time to sell to individuals...so for me it's mpb.com. If you want to sell at used retail I would probably suggest fredmiranda.com
I appreciate the info. I will look into them. While I'm a member at FM I'm not active enough there to be comfortable using the site.

Does anyone have experience with the long time stores in Houston or Austin?
BMo
Guitarsoup said:

I only sell locally. Too many bad experiences selling and shipping by friends and me over the years.

I try but now with Sony equipment buyers aren't as readily available. I have sold online but only where I know people such as other forums.
Guitarsoup
AG
BMo said:

Guitarsoup said:

I try but now with Sony equipment buyers aren't as readily available. I have sold online but only where I know people such as other forums.
Making the "Buy Nikon" case for me.
BMo
Guitarsoup said:

BMo said:

Guitarsoup said:

Making the "Buy Nikon" case for me.
Not in mirrorless but I have thought about a D500. My 7D2 would get jealous though. (grins) I'm just trying to sell an 85mm. Friends love that prime but it doesn't work for me.
Guitarsoup
AG
85mm 1.4G for Nikon is probably my most used lens.

I have the D500 and it is fantastic. About to cross over the 150k click threshold on the shutter.
heddleston
AG
For portraits on a crop sensor is a 50mm enough or do you like something even longer?
Guitarsoup
AG
heddleston said:

For portraits on a crop sensor is a 50mm enough or do you like something even longer?

unless you are doing an environmental style wear the area around the people is meant to tell a story then always longer than 50.
BMo
Guitarsoup said:

85mm 1.4G for Nikon is probably my most used lens.

I have the D500 and it is fantastic. About to cross over the 150k click threshold on the shutter.
I know this is the case with many Canon users so it makes sense to be the same for Nikon. It just doesn't do it for me.
First Page Last Page
Page 56 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.