Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

421,329 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
Sweet Kitten Feet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
What do you recommend? I've used lexar, sandisk, and Sony. Never had a failure.
tk for tu juan
Lexar is now owned by a Chinese company. The original execs at Lexar created a new company, ProGrade Digital
labmansid
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

What do you recommend? I've used lexar, sandisk, and Sony. Never had a failure.
Until a few months ago my main card was a 64GB Transcend CF card. Never had any issues with it after several years of use. I replaced it with a 128GB Lexar for more storage and faster speeds. So far so good with it. I also have a couple of Transcend and Sandisk 64 and 32GB SD cards for another camera and second/backup slot in the one with the CF card. I don't recall having any issues with a card, knock on wood!
Guitarsoup
AG
The only cards that have never failed on me are PNY and Sony, but I have significantly less of them than Sandisk or Lexar.

Lexar pisses me off because the new owners refuse to honor the warranties, so I wish bad things on them.
BMo
Anyone interested or know someone interested in a Canon 7DmkII with 50K clicks? Link to Texags classified.

Canon for sale
tk for tu juan
What program was used to get the shutter count?
BMo
tk for tu juan said:

What program was used to get the shutter count?
https://www.direstudio.com/shuttercount/

It was unavailable for a while but looks to be back. I had an acquaintance in the UK send me his second unused license.

reddog90
AG
https://photographylife.com/news/super-wolf-blood-moon-eclipse?utm_source=Photography+Life+Newsletter&utm_campaign=aa59940fee-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_74d1711c3d-aa59940fee-183997429#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=super-wolf-blood-moon-eclipse

I live in Houston. Will there be too much light pollution in town or a short drive away to photograph the super wolf blood moon this month?
labmansid
reddog90 said:

https://photographylife.com/news/super-wolf-blood-moon-eclipse?utm_source=Photography+Life+Newsletter&utm_campaign=aa59940fee-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_74d1711c3d-aa59940fee-183997429#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=super-wolf-blood-moon-eclipse

I live in Houston. Will there be too much light pollution in town or a short drive away to photograph the super wolf blood moon this month?
Based upon my experience, it might be difficult to really catch the full effect from a heavily light polluted area. Living in Houston, if the eclipsed moon becomes dark enough, it might even become difficult to find in the sky. It will be pretty high in the sky for us, since it occurs shortly before midnight. Therefore, it would take a little creativity to get any foreground objects/views in the same field as the moon. Maybe a tall building looking up. I would suggest driving out a bit to get away from the majority of the lights.

I live on the edge of south College Station, and it shouldn't be as much of an issue here. I can see quite a few stars from my house, probably not so much in Houston.

This shot was from the lunar eclipse in March of 2014. I actually had to work that night, so I just took a few small breaks and used a 24-105mm zoom at 105mm on a tripod for quick setup. ISO1600, f4, 1/2second shutter speed.

This one is from Dec. of 2010. I used a telephoto of 700mm at f5.6, ISO800, and 0.8second shutter speed. So you can kind of get a feel for just how dark it can be.

bthotugigem05
AG
Max eclipse is at 11:12pm in Texas, so it's going to be a little rough to capture it in context of the location you're in but the benefit is that it'll be high enough in the sky to mitigate a lot of the light pollution of the city if you want to get a zoomed in shot like the ones above.

I love capturing stuff like this in context, like this one I did last year of the lunar eclipse:

I'll be in Cape Town during this one so I'll miss out but I look forward to seeing everyone's pics!
labmansid
I remembered this link I saw a few days ago. It has pretty extensive info on various aspects of photographing an eclipse.

Photographing Lunar Eclipse.
AZAG08
AG
I've got to find a good place to shoot this! Thanks for the heads up
Guitarsoup
AG
Try to find out how high it will be at different points and where in the sky it will be.

Try to get a terrestrial object to give it perspective
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
An app called the photographer's ephemeris is great and helps me plan my landscape and night shots. Go check it out.
k20dub
AG
Does anyone have recommendations on printing a drone shot on a canvas? Online or somewhere in Houston.
Punked Shank
AG
So i feel completely lost with long exposure shots. Ive read multiple articles and fiddled on my camera at lengths.

How do i get long exposure shots on my camera? Nikon D3400. Is it possible? Talking anything from 2 seconds to 15.

I have a tripod and filter. Do i need something more? I cant figure it out and feel kinda dumb..
Guitarsoup
AG
coastsrs said:

So i feel completely lost with long exposure shots. Ive read multiple articles and fiddled on my camera at lengths.

How do i get long exposure shots on my camera? Nikon D3400. Is it possible? Talking anything from 2 seconds to 15.

I have a tripod and filter. Do i need something more? I cant figure it out and feel kinda dumb..

Put it in shutter priority, set the shutter to whatever length of time you want. Have auto iso and it will control aperture for you. Make sure it is secure on a tripod
dubi
AG
Quote:

Put it in shutter priority, set the shutter to whatever length of time you want. Have auto iso and it will control aperture for you. Make sure it is secure on a tripod
I do it that way too!
Punked Shank
AG
Thanks ill figure it out this evening i suppose
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
coastsrs said:

Thanks ill figure it out this evening i suppose
Another thing you could do is just figure out your exposure at a shorter shutter, 1/2 second, 1 second etc, and then use an app like Exposure Calculator to calculate it all. I've done that before. Figure it out one second and then use the app for equivalency at a longer time. You can use that for hyperfocal distance settings as well.
labmansid
coastsrs said:

What kind of scenes are you looking to shoot with long exposures? Night scenes? Daylight, like maybe waterfalls, since you mentioned a filter?

As mentioned, you should be able to do that with shutter priority. According to the specs, you should be able to set it to shoot as long as 30 seconds. Manual mode should work as well. A cable or remote release of some kind would probably be helpful as well to reduce camera shake when pressing the shutter button at long shutter speeds. Using the self timer for this might work as well.
Punked Shank
AG
labmansid said:

coastsrs said:

What kind of scenes are you looking to shoot with long exposures? Night scenes? Daylight, like maybe waterfalls, since you mentioned a filter?

As mentioned, you should be able to do that with shutter priority. According to the specs, you should be able to set it to shoot as long as 30 seconds. Manual mode should work as well. A cable or remote release of some kind would probably be helpful as well to reduce camera shake when pressing the shutter button at long shutter speeds. Using the self timer for this might work as well.

Well eventually day / evening scenes. But this particular first instance im wanting to shoot the "blood" moon sunday night. Was planning on using sigma 17-50mm. I have a basic nikkor 70-300mm but not planning on using it for this instance.

Ive only had the camera a yearish but just recently using more often lately shooting sports and landscapes (northern arizona and Grand Canyon over new years). Shoulder injury put me out of normal hobbies while i recover.
bthotugigem05
AG
You won't need a long exposure for the moon. The moon moves much quicker than you'd expect.
reddog90
AG
Thanks for the tips on the eclipse guys. I only have a 17-55 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 vrii. Do you guys think I should focus on taking telephoto shots with the bigger lens, or wider shots with the smaller lens?
TexasAggie_02
AG
reddog90 said:

Thanks for the tips on the eclipse guys. I only have a 17-55 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 vrii. Do you guys think I should focus on taking telephoto shots with the bigger lens, or wider shots with the smaller lens?

Totality lasts an hour, the whole thing will go from 9:30-1:30. You'll have to plenty of time for both.
TexasAggie_02
AG
I'll add, if you use the wide angle lens, try to find an interesting foreground subject.
Punked Shank
AG
Thanks for the tips. Pretty easy once explained simply by you guys. I was derping pretty hard reading stuff online.

Hoping for clear skies sunday!
reddog90
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

reddog90 said:

Totality lasts an hour, the whole thing will go from 9:30-1:30. You'll have to plenty of time for both.
I figured since this is my first time shooting an eclipse, it might be less stressful to stick with one lens and one style of shot and try to get it right. Maybe not.

I'm having trouble thinking of ways to incorporate an interesting foreground with a wide lens in Houston. I google "lunar eclipse over city" and see plenty of awesome images, but the blood moons are all very low in the sky. Won't ours be almost directly overhead? I also want to be cognizant of where I'm walking around alone with expensive camera gear at midnight.
AZAG08
AG
I've been watching the weather all week and the "peak" time for the eclipse for me is ~10:30pm MST and the forecast keeps hovering around 80-90% cloud cover
labmansid
Yeah this eclipse will occur almost directly overhead. Not an ideal situation for foregrounds. Too wide angle of a lens to try a foreground shot and the moon will be pretty small in the image.
Gigem314
AG
I noticed that Luxe Academy is doing a heavy discount rate right now on their tutorial videos and Lr/Ps presets through January 27th.

Has anyone utilized them before, and is it worth it?
reddog90
AG
Gigem314 said:

I noticed that Luxe Academy is doing a heavy discount rate right now on their tutorial videos and Lr/Ps presets through January 27th.

I was going to post that as well.

First, do they run sales like this frequently? The discounts are tempting.

Second, I'd be interested in tutorials, but does anyone actually pay for presets? Kinda seems like cheating. I would rather have a fundamental understanding of how to use LR and make my own presets as I want to.
AZAG08
AG
reddog90 said:

Gigem314 said:

I was going to post that as well.

First, do they run sales like this frequently? The discounts are tempting.

Second, I'd be interested in tutorials, but does anyone actually pay for presets? Kinda seems like cheating. I would rather have a fundamental understanding of how to use LR and make my own presets as I want to.
My brother uses presets for 90%+ of his pictures -- he says it saves him time. Applies a preset, makes a minor adjustment and goes

When I use one I feel like its no longer mine, I don't know if that's the right way to view it or not
labmansid
I have several presets that I set up and saved in LR myself for commonly used lighting conditions. It's easy to do. I did download a set from another source, I think they were deeply discounted as well. I do use them on occasion just playing around for something different or special circumstances. I wouldn't spend a lot on presets.
dubi
AG
I have used the Luxe presets, but tweaked the ones I like with my own style and the lens correction saved with it.

I use that as my default "import" preset.
First Page Last Page
Page 58 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.