Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

421,255 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
hatchback
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sony Alpha a7iii just arrived from BorrowLenses! Can't wait to try it out and then take it for a whirl while in Seattle.
jaggiemaggie
AG
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1170701-REG/peak_design_sl_2_padded_camera_sling_shoulder_neck_strap.html

Peak Design strap $20 off today
AggieDruggist89
AG
Nice plug for u43

bthotugigem05
AG
Yay Sony 400mm f2.8, boo (although expected) $12000
TexasAggie_02
AG
Big canon summer sale at B&H

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/items/ci/37503
AgBQ-00
AG
I just started reading the thread yesterday so i have a lot of catching up to do. But i am wanting to get out of a point and shoot type camera into a DSLR. I currently have an olympus su600 uz. It does ok in some situations but it has way too much noise and very poor shutter reaction i am not happy with it. I am leaning i think to nikon either d3400 or d5600 or something similar. But before i jump into it i want to get tips on what to look for and what to avoid and recommendations.
To give an idea about what i want to do i want to take landscape pics, outdoors animal pics (think dog retrieving) and indoor close up pics of leatherwork. I am starting a site to blog and post pictures of stuff i do and want the pics to look great.

Anyway all info is greatly appreciated as it will help get me out of ubernoob status and into photography enthusiast status.

ETA: Cross post from Outdoors board
cross post

Here are two examples I gave in that thread of what I have done with the camera I have and examples of what I want to do in the future

What I hope to shoot with the new camera:

Thanks again for any and all info. It is greatly appreciated
MonkeyKnifeFighter
Guitarsoup
AG
You can take good landscapes with any camera.

The D5600 is going to have better AF than the D3200, but you might want to look at buying a nicer camera used for a better deal.

For up close, you probably want some sort of a macro. Tamron makes a pretty good 90mm macro for Canon and Nikon.

That dog pic was likely taken with a 70-200mm f4 or 70-200 f2.8. Look for used at KEH.

A D700 would be a super fantastic value for you. So would a D600 or D610.
BMo
bthotugigem05 said:

Yay Sony 400mm f2.8, boo (although expected) $12000
Let me know if I can borrow it when you're not using it. ;-)
reddog90
AG
Guitarsoup said:

That dog pic was likely taken with a 70-200mm f4 or 70-200 f2.8. Look for used at KEH.

Mark's go-to is a 70-200 f2.8. He has some other bigger glass too though. Not sure what bodies he uses right now but they are full frame and extremely fast. Here's some of his work and my hound below.

http://upclosephoto.com/gallery?g2_itemId=10458

tk for tu juan
When taking photos at the beach, what is the best product to use to get sea spray off of the front element?
Guitarsoup
AG
tk for tu juan said:

When taking photos at the beach, what is the best product to use to get sea spray off of the front element?
Use a UV filter. Then a microfiber cloth regularly.

This is the only time I suggest a UV filter.
dubi
AG
Quote:

Reason #2
Protect expensive glass at the gun range!
Guitarsoup
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

Reason #2
Protect expensive glass at the gun range!
Should probably put a UV filter on Mr. Dubi, then.
AgBQ-00
AG
Thanks for the info in both threads!! Now it is time to start shopping. One or two more quick questions if you know...did the dust issues in the d600 get figured out? Also for doing website work is the 12 mp d700 enough to get a quality shot?
Guitarsoup
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Thanks for the info in both threads!! Now it is time to start shopping. One or two more quick questions if you know...did the dust issues in the d600 get figured out? Also for doing website work is the 12 mp d700 enough to get a quality shot?
12MP on the D700 is more than enough for anything you are doing. You just won't have as much space to crop as the newer cameras.

There is a pretty much forever recall on the D600. So you can always return it to Nikon and they will fix it. But yeah, great camera for the money because of that.
reddog90
AG
Guitarsoup said:

tk for tu juan said:

I literally always have a UV filter on my glass. Not kosher?
labmansid
reddog90 said:

Guitarsoup said:

tk for tu juan said:

I literally always have a UV filter on my glass. Not kosher?
Using a filter I consider a personal choice. I used to use one nearly all the time. Now, I rarely use a filter. I have seen some instances where it can degrade picture quality, mostly through internal reflections caused by the filter. Also, I feel like adding another element into the system is just another opportunity to introduce imperfections. It's just as easy to clean the front element of a lens as it is to clean a filter, so why risk it unless there is a situation like the beach where the benefit out weighs potential risks. I do keep a microfiber cloth and cleaning fluid handy in my bag.

A polarizer at the beach IMO would be a more viable option than a UV filter. Besides some protection from salt spray, there is the added benefit of glare reduction and deeper contrast of blue skies.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
For those of you who use the Peak Design straps, how are you setting up with larger lenses (70-200 and 200-500)? I really like using one of the camera's anchor loops and the connect pad screwed in on the bottom, which makes it more of a shoulder sling. I imagine a connect pad on the tripod foot of the lens is one, but where should the other connection be? My main concern is not putting too much stress on the mounting flange.
MBAR
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

For those of you who use the Peak Design straps, how are you setting up with larger lenses (70-200 and 200-500)? I really like using one of the camera's anchor loops and the connect pad screwed in on the bottom, which makes it more of a shoulder sling. I imagine a connect pad on the tripod foot of the lens is one, but where should the other connection be? My main concern is not putting too much stress on the mounting flange.
I use it the same way as I do with other lenses. I never have the strap attached to the lens. I have one on my tripod quick release plate and one on the strap attachment. I would never want to attach it to the lens. Just seems like introducing bad stress as you pointed out.
Guitarsoup
AG
Can't tell you about peak designs, because I really don't like them.

But with Black Rapids or Hold Fast, when I am using a 70-200, I am attaching it to the tripod collar of my lens every time. The lens is so heavy, if you don't support the lens, the camera mount will loosen up and you will have big problems with that.
dubi
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Can't tell you about peak designs, because I really don't like them.

But with Black Rapids or Hold Fast, when I am using a 70-200, I am attaching it to the tripod collar of my lens every time. The lens is so heavy, if you don't support the lens, the camera mount will loosen up and you will have big problems with that.

I do this too because Guitarsoup told me so! ALWAYS with the 70-200 or 100-400.
BMo
Maximus_Meridius said:

While I had the Canon 500 f4 I never attached anything to lens and used Black Rapid on the camera but always carried it by the tripod foot. BTW the Black Rapids (2) will be for sale soon if anyone is interested. Put the rig over my shoulder if on a tripod/monopod. I'm now using Sony with the Peak Design straps but don't attach strap to the 100-400. The bodies have a pretty stout lens mount. I don't carry the camera dangling by my side when walking at all.
dubi
AG
I have a blackrapid double strap so when I'm shooting with one camera the other must dangle. Hence any lens with a tripod collar I use that to attach the strap.

Even when I use the single strap, I let the camera dangle to rest my arms. Photography gives me a bad case of tennis elbow in my left arm.
AgBQ-00
AG
Update for those interested...i have an amazing wife. I went through all the cameras i was considering and what i found to be positives and negatives about each one. Then she said youre not buying a used camera get you a new camera the one you want. So i am the proud owner of a new Nikon D750. Got my copy of understanding exposure in the mail today. Time to start learning about all that goes with pgotography. Thanks for all the advice and resources mentioned. Looking forward to sharing pictures with all of you
Guitarsoup
AG
Excellent choice. That camera will last you for years to come. Great investment.
AgBQ-00
AG
From what i read it seems to be the best successor of the d700 on the modern cameras. Everything i read about it screamed workhorse that would be a quality camera for as long as i want it. Thank you again for the guidance and places to look
Guitarsoup
AG
That it is. And since it went down a bit in price a month ago, it is a fantastic value. It is the work horse of many wedding photographers I know.
BMo
If anyone is interested in Black Rapids for sale.

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/2960920/replies/52108640
reddog90
AG
I know backpacks were discussed briefly earlier, but does anyone have opinions on the Lowepro Flipside Trek BP 450 AW Backpack? I need to order a pack this morning, and this one has been on my B&H wishlist for a while.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1277500-REG/lowepro_lp37016_flipside_trek_bp_450.html
Guitarsoup
AG
reddog90 said:

I know backpacks were discussed briefly earlier, but does anyone have opinions on the Lowepro Flipside Trek BP 450 AW Backpack? I need to order a pack this morning, and this one has been on my B&H wishlist for a while.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1277500-REG/lowepro_lp37016_flipside_trek_bp_450.html
I prefer ThinkTank to Lowe Pro.
I have the Streetwalker HD. This is the slightly smaller version, which is also excellent. The main difference is the HD also carries a 15" MBP.

https://amzn.to/2ugNqle
reddog90
AG
Why do you prefer ThinkTank over Lowepro in general?

That streetwalker looks nice, but it seems like the Flipside Trek is better suited for my outdoor activities. And it's got a little extra space for me to throw in some day hiking gear when I travel.
AZAG08
AG
reddog90 said:

That streetwalker looks nice, but it seems like the Flipside Trek is better suited for my outdoor activities. And it's got a little extra space for me to throw in some day hiking gear when I travel.
I like Loewpro because for me its not strictly a camera bag. Its a back pack with camera compartments

That doesn't work as well for some, but for me as a casual vacation photographer it works best
Guitarsoup
AG
reddog90 said:

I feel like my ThinkTanks are better made than my Lowepros, so I have moved to them exclusively.

My Streetwalker HD has a waist band, but it can also take a heavier duty one if needed, but if not needed, it folds into the bag.

It has plenty of space, depending on how much you want to carry. I've added all kinds of things depending on the shoot. I often use the laptop compartment for non-laptop things and have packed sneakers in it when I am not carrying as much equip.

I don't like the design where the zippers and opening is where my back goes.
TexasAggie_02
AG
I have ver 1 of the think tank shapeshifter and love it. It's a well made bag.
First Page Last Page
Page 47 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.