Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

420,179 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
reddog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like that tripod. I don't want to replace my current tripod with a tripod/monopod like that mefoto right now though.

I'm confused now. Is the foot on my 70-200 vrii just a spot to accept an adapter plate of my choice? So I need some sort of quick release plate or head on my monopod, then put an adapter plate on my lens foot to attach it. Or I can replace the lens foot with something like a RRS collar foot that has built in dovetail mounting? Any recommendations here?
labmansid
reddog90 said:

I like that tripod. I don't want to replace my current tripod with a tripod/monopod like that mefoto right now though.

I'm confused now. Is the foot on my 70-200 vrii just a spot to accept an adapter plate of my choice? So I need some sort of quick release plate or head on my monopod, then put an adapter plate on my lens foot to attach it. Or I can replace the lens foot with something like a RRS collar foot that has built in dovetail mounting? Any recommendations here?
It appears there are options to replace the original foot with one that is Arca-style quick release compatible, eliminating the need for a separate adapter.

Kirk model.

RRS model.
Jethro95
AG
I have the RRS foot that replaces the Nikon one for my 70-200 VRI for tripod use. However, when I use my monopod, I remove the foot entirely and just screw it right onto the top of the monopod. No head at all.
reddog90
AG
You screw the monopod into the lens collar or into the body?
Jethro95
AG
reddog90 said:

You screw the monopod into the lens collar or into the body?
Lens Collar.
dubi
AG
So my Tamron 70-200 collar is arca swiss compatible so I just use that with my tripod.

My canon 100-400 is not so i use the plate (linked above) on the collar
Guitarsoup
AG
Friends are selling some top qualify film production stuff, but a lot of stuff that works for stills as well.

https://www.filmlab.com/gear-sale
TexasAggie_02
AG
New canon 70-200 lenses announced. I really don't see the need to upgrade. They are basically the same, just better lens coatings to reduce flaring.

https://petapixel.com/2018/06/06/canon-unveils-the-70-200mm-f-2-8l-is-iii-and-70-200mm-f-4l-is-ii/
AggieDruggist89
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

New canon 70-200 lenses announced. I really don't see the need to upgrade. They are basically the same, just better lens coatings to reduce flaring.

https://petapixel.com/2018/06/06/canon-unveils-the-70-200mm-f-2-8l-is-iii-and-70-200mm-f-4l-is-ii/

Agreed. What was the point. Well, other than to boost the sale some.

Nonetheless, both Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS I & II are excellent lenses.
flintdragon
AG
was hoping for a slam dunk new lens.... so version 2 would come down into my price range.
BMo
Any Sony users? I didn't go through the entire thread.
AggieDruggist89
AG
BMo said:

Any Sony users? I didn't go through the entire thread.

bthotugigem05 is the resident Sony expert.

I used Sony for about 3 years but got rid of everything Sony for now. Will look at them later.
bthotugigem05
AG
By expert Druggist means I just spend too much damn money on the stuff, but yep I'm about as Sony as it gets, what do you need to know?
TexasAggie_02
AG
What cracks me up about that ver III canon announcement is that they boasted 3.5 stops of image stabilization, when the ver II had 4 stops.

After getting hammered about it, Canon said it wasn't a downgrade, they just just lied about the version II by rounding up to 4.
Guitarsoup
AG
Canon gonna Canon
dubi
AG
Lol
BMo
My 70-200 vII was the first thing I sold off when I started the switch to Sony. Friends couldn't believe I was selling the holy grail of Canon lenses but I rarely used it. I only have a 7Dmkii left now and I'm debating whether to buy a Tamron 150-600 g2 or not. I owned the g1 at one time. I may end up selling the 7D though I said I would never part with it.

AggieDruggist thanks for the info on the Sony user. Maybe we can have a dialog at some point.
BMo
bthotugigem05 said:

By expert Druggist means I just spend too much damn money on the stuff, but yep I'm about as Sony as it gets, what do you need to know?
Ha I saw this after I posted. You won't ever be wrong about the cost of Sony. How long you been using Sony? BTW, if you hear of anyone looking for a like new, on the camera maybe four times Sigma MC-11 I have one I'll take $100 for. Sold my last Canon lens last night.
rrtodds
AG
Hoping one of you has a recommendation for a waterproof point & shoot. Will be used for snorkeling not scuba diving.
dubi
AG
rrtodds said:

Hoping one of you has a recommendation for a waterproof point & shoot. Will be used for snorkeling not scuba diving.
I have an Olympus TG4. Fantastic little camera.

UW camera reviews
tk for tu juan
Good timing, DPReview just updated their underwater buying guide
https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-waterproof-cameras
dubi
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Good timing, DPReview just updated their underwater buying guide
https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-waterproof-cameras
I see their pick is Olympus; their UW cameras have been great for many years!
bthotugigem05
AG
BMo said:

bthotugigem05 said:

Ha I saw this after I posted. You won't ever be wrong about the cost of Sony. How long you been using Sony? BTW, if you hear of anyone looking for a like new, on the camera maybe four times Sigma MC-11 I have one I'll take $100 for. Sold my last Canon lens last night.
I've only ever used Sony, starting with the a7 and now with an a7rIII, a6500, and a7III. I wish I would've waited a couple more weeks to get my MC-11! I still use Canon tilt-shift lenses on my Sonys.
BMo
bthotugigem05 said:

I've only ever used Sony, starting with the a7 and now with an a7rIII, a6500, and a7III. I wish I would've waited a couple more weeks to get my MC-11! I still use Canon tilt-shift lenses on my Sonys.
Bought my wife an A7 early last year and that started it. Now with an RX10 IV, A7R III and several lenses. Since I still have the 7DmkII I may end up keeping it for awhile and buy a Tamron 150-600 for it. If I were to do that I could always use the MC-11.

A couple of sites and starting to post Sony stuff.

https://billmorris.smugmug.com/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25797101@N04/

bthotugigem05
AG
From what I've heard the MC-11 doesn't work with any of the superzooms like that (with the exception of those made for the Sony a-mount, which is a different adapter). 7dII is a great camera though, that should work fine for the Tamron for a long time.

I've been looking for a used 5DSR for a good price for my tilt shifts and just keep them on that body.
dubi
AG
Your photos are lovely!
BMo
bthotugigem05 said:

From what I've heard the MC-11 doesn't work with any of the superzooms like that (with the exception of those made for the Sony a-mount, which is a different adapter). 7dII is a great camera though, that should work fine for the Tamron for a long time.

I've been looking for a used 5DSR for a good price for my tilt shifts and just keep them on that body.
That is the reason I own the MC-11, tried it on my wife's A7 with a Sigma 150-600 but sent the lens back. I can try the Tamron with the adapter and nothing lost if it doesn't work since I own the 7D. I had the first version of the Tamron for a while already.
BMo
dubi said:

Your photos are lovely!
Thank you very much.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG

Does this look like a 20 time lapse of a helicopter taking off?
bthotugigem05
AG
More like a rocket launch, I've rarely seen a heli take off that vertically.
reddog90
AG
What lens for all those bird shots on your flickr? Great work!
reddog90
AG
So my lightroom 5 has been crashing off and on when I try to import new files lately. I was told by TexAgs to upgrade to Lightroom 6. I'm annoyed I have to pay $150 for this fix. Anyone else have this problem in 5 and upgraded to fix it?
BMo
reddog90 said:

What lens for all those bird shots on your flickr? Great work!
Most of the ones there were shot with a Sony FE 100-400 f4.5-5.6 GM OSS. On the smugmug page only more recent are with that lens. More of those were shot with a Canon 500 f4 that I bought used a couple of years ago.

Thank you and thanks for looking.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
TexasAggie_02
AG
FYI, peak design is recalling v3 anchors from their straps. If you take their survey, you can get replacement v4 anchors for free.

https://support.peakdesign.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000833866

https://peakdesign.typeform.com/to/u9JrZC

Quote:

This is actually the 4th time we've updated our Anchors, meaning that our new Anchors are actually version 4 (or V4). We began making V3 Anchors in August 2017, which featured a thinner cord that could fit directly in smaller camera eyelets. In Spring 2018 we got a few reports (7 total) of V3 Anchors prematurely wearing out and failing. To put things in perspective, we've sold over 1 million V3 Anchors, so the observed failure rate is 7 in 1,000,000 (or 1 in every 17,000 users). Though small, this failure rate is unacceptable for us and hence we're updating our Anchors to prevent this issue from happening to anybody else.

I had been using the same v2 anchors that my strap came with 3 years ago, and had just purchased some v3's b/c my old anchors were finally starting to fray. B/C i have a full frame DSLR with a 70-200, I was a little apprehensive to how thin the cord was on v3. Apparently, the v4 anchors go back to the v2 threading.

First Page Last Page
Page 46 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.