Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

420,178 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
AZAG08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I use the peak clutch hand strap. I bought that one because I also use the clip system for my backpack

labmansid
reddog said:

Also thinking about a lenscoat for my new 70-200 vrii. Anyone run them on their big lenses? I'm not so worried about camouflaging my gear, but I feel like it would provide some protection in the duck blind.

http://www.lenscoat.com/lenscoatsuptmsup-nikon-70200-p-1035.html
I use one on my 500 f4 and the 1.4x TC that is usually on it. It's great for protecting the lens from dings and scratches, been on since virtually day one of owning the lens. It also helps to insulate the lens in extreme heat or cold, which is helpful when handling the lens. Most serious nature shooters use a Lenscoat or similar product.
bthotugigem05
AG
I've used just about all of Peak's products at one point or another and they're very good. For all-day assignments I use a blackrapid strap setup but the Peak clutch is great.
dubi
AG
Recommendations for a camera backpack please.

I had this cheap one from Amazon; it is starting to fray at the seams so time to buy the correct brand this time!

My current problem is too much weight:
javajaws
AG
Dubi your not in Austin are you? I've got a Think tank photo backpack I don't need...like new.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
dubi
AG
javajaws said:

Dubi your not in Austin are you? I've got a Think tank photo backpack I don't need...like new.
BCS? Can you post a link? I could paypal you.
Guitarsoup
AG
I have a Think Tank Shapeshifter for sale. Has Canon Professional logo on the back. Only used it a couple times, and mainly for wires when displaying on location.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/shape-shifter/products/shape-shifter
dubi
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I have a Think Tank Shapeshifter for sale. Has Canon Professional logo on the back. Only used it a couple times, and mainly for wires when displaying on location.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/shape-shifter/products/shape-shifter
WOOHOO! This would make me look like a professional!

Cost?

AggieDruggist89
AG
dubi said:

Recommendations for a camera backpack please.

I had this cheap one from Amazon; it is starting to fray at the seams so time to buy the correct brand this time!

My current problem is too much weight:

And your solution is u43.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
How you like that clip setup? The premise is intriguing, just not sure I'd enjoy the feel of my camera hanging on my backpack strap like that.
reddog90
AG
I have their clip too, I use it hiking and it's great. Max I've used it with a D7000 and 17-55 f2.8 and it was fine. But if your backpack is empty you definitely notice the weight in front.
reddog90
AG
labmansid said:

reddog said:

Also thinking about a lenscoat for my new 70-200 vrii. Anyone run them on their big lenses? I'm not so worried about camouflaging my gear, but I feel like it would provide some protection in the duck blind.

http://www.lenscoat.com/lenscoatsuptmsup-nikon-70200-p-1035.html
I use one on my 500 f4 and the 1.4x TC that is usually on it. It's great for protecting the lens from dings and scratches, been on since virtually day one of owning the lens. It also helps to insulate the lens in extreme heat or cold, which is helpful when handling the lens. Most serious nature shooters use a Lenscoat or similar product.
Thanks. I'll have to pick one up soon then.
reddog90
AG
I was going to get this pack soon:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1277500-REG/lowepro_lp37016_flipside_trek_bp_450.html

Anyone have experience with it?
dubi
AG
Quote:

AZAG08
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

How you like that clip setup? The premise is intriguing, just not sure I'd enjoy the feel of my camera hanging on my backpack strap like that.
For me it has been good. I use it mostly when I know I will want repeated access to my camera
AZAG08
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

For me it has been good. I use it mostly when I know I will want repeated access to my camera
MBAR
AG
I have tried so many bags that I finally realized I just needed to buy a Tenba BYOB or 2 and use my hiking backpack.
labmansid
For backpacks it's hard to go wrong with any of the major players like Think Tank, Tenba, Case Logic, Tamrac, or Lowepro. Just find one in your price range and feature set.

That said, I actually have three Lowepro bags that I use regularly. They are all older models I have had for several years, and all are still going strong. Two I bought used. I use a Slingshot model for lighter and more general use. One is a large, tall bag for the 500 with camera by itself. The other is a model similar to yours, but a bit larger in case I need to carry more gear. It even holds a laptop if necessary. I have used it to carry the 500 as well on longer trips through airports. Lowepro makes sturdy bags at a reasonable price IMO.

jaggiemaggie
AG
What should I look for in mirrorless camera?

I've been considering upgrading to the D750 and 24-70 from a crop sensor but it's occurring to me that I really don't care to lug around my d5300 as it is already....
AggieDruggist89
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

What should I look for in mirrorless camera?

I've been considering upgrading to the D750 and 24-70 from a crop sensor but it's occurring to me that I really don't care to lug around my d5300 as it is already....

You got Sony, Fuji, and u43. Ok Nikon and Canon too.

With Sony, expensive lenses and bodies with not much advantage in lens size.

I dont have much experience with Fuji.

u43, now 10 years old, Panasonic and Olympus have very robust line of lenses that are pretty cheap in used market. And size advantage is definitely with u43.

I use both Canon FF and u43. for travel and video, I use u43.
AggieDruggist89
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

Well...

Guitarsoup
AG
Nikon's mirrorless is coming soon. I'd wait on that
AggieDruggist89
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Nikon FF mirrorless could have a different lens mount or even if they keep the same mount, now you've lost the size advantage. If different mount, then now you're waiting on new lenses and I don't imagine they will be cheap.

With mirrorless, even Nikon will most likely use Contrast Detection AF and not Phase Detection. So I'm not sure Nikon will have much advantage over Sony or other mirrorless.
javajaws
AG
I wish Fuji would put IBIS in more bodies. APS-C seems to be a good sweet spot for mirrorless. And for that it's either them or Sony (a6500 etc) - but Sony is split between FF and APS-C.

I have no regrets going u43 though - they have some really good compact lenses. I tried out the new Panny 50-200 f/2.8-4 from a dealer rep a couple weeks ago and its a sweet little lens. 100-400 equiv out of a 5" lens!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Guitarsoup
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Nikon FF mirrorless could have a different lens mount or even if they keep the same mount, now you've lost the size advantage. If different mount, then now you're waiting on new lenses and I don't imagine they will be cheap.

With mirrorless, even Nikon will most likely use Contrast Detection AF and not Phase Detection. So I'm not sure Nikon will have much advantage over Sony or other mirrorless.
None of the FF mirrorless bodies have much of a size/weight advantage over a D750 similarly equipped.

My understanding is that the body will have a different mount, but will have an adapter to use all existing Nikon lenses so you can go back and forth and your old lenses can be used with the new cameras.

The only cameras with a significant size/weight advantage over a camera like the D750 are the ones with smaller sensors, so you compromise image quality to get it. How important that IQ compromise is depends on the photographer and the subject.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I have said previously that FF mirrorless like Sony doesn't provide size advantage. But Sony certainly has a nice used market and proven lenses and adapters. JaggieMaggie doesn't even want to lug around a smaller Nikon DSLR body.. and I don't imagine he/she is lugging around 24-70 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8, 300mm, or 400mm. So I would imagine large Nikon lenses are out.

Nikon FF Mirrorless may be around the corner (Spring 2019) but they're still ways behind and certainly it will be a while before many lenses are released. Probably 2 to 3 years before a decent line of lenses are available.

So, even if I was a Nikon user, I wouldn't wait for it.

IQ, considering even some pros are using u43 successfully, I don't know how much amateurs are giving up by using u43. And considering majority of the world are satisfied with cellphone pictures, Fuji and u43 definitely provide a great alternative to DSLR.

Guitarsoup
AG
I believe the Nikon mirrorless target date for shipping is October.

If you are already heavily invested in the system, it is probably worthwhile to wait.

There will likely be a very good adapter for current Nikon lenses from day 1, so no real need to wait for a ton of mirrorless lenses if you are already in the ecosystem.
Jethro95
AG
I love my D750!
UmustBKidding
People were talking about packs bh has this on sale today 70% off
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/dealZone.jsp

reddog90
AG
Can you guys recommend a decent monopod? I just need something that will help support and stabilize a D7000 and a 70-200 or 200-500. I have an Oben carbon fiber tripod with twist lock legs that I have been modestly satisfied with. I don't need a super fancy monopod, I am open to flip locks and aluminum construction. I would like it fairly light though.

Currently looking at Manfrotto XPRO ($70, aluminum, flip locks), Manfrotto Element ($50, aluminum, twist), and AmazonBasics ($52, carbon fiber, twist)
dubi
AG
reddog90 said:

Can you guys recommend a decent monopod? I just need something that will help support and stabilize a D7000 and a 70-200 or 200-500. I have an Oben carbon fiber tripod with twist lock legs that I have been modestly satisfied with. I don't need a super fancy monopod, I am open to flip locks and aluminum construction. I would like it fairly light though.

Currently looking at Manfrotto XPRO ($70, aluminum, flip locks), Manfrotto Element ($50, aluminum, twist), and AmazonBasics ($52, carbon fiber, twist)
Make sure to check the height of the monopod. I tried to get a fairly inexpensive one and it was too short for my 5'8" height.
Jethro95
AG
reddog90 said:

I have a Manfrotto 681B I bought in 2010 and it's great. I think it's similar to the XPRO in size and I use it mostly with my 70-200. If anything, it's overkill for that lens but you never know what big glass you might rent.
reddog90
AG
dubi - Good call. I'll probably need a 4 section to give me enough height.

I don't plan on using a head on this monopod. Is that kosher?
dubi
AG
I have have a tripod/monopod combo like this. The middle section disconnects and becomes the monopod.

It also has the arca swiss mount that is compatible with the tripod mounts i put on my big lenses. I can use them with my tripod or with my Black Rapid strap.

bthotugigem05
AG
Love my mefotos! Still trying to get a brand deal worked out with them but in the meantime have two of their tripods and am about to get a third!
First Page Last Page
Page 45 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.