Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

421,338 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
91AggieLawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Dropbox and Google drive backup will work for any file types.

OK, I'll go with dropbox as I have an acount. Thanks.

Now, I am going to be able to get the SD card contents on to a portable hard drive. Is there a way to back up that hard drive via the iPad without putting the stuff ON the iPad? That is, use the iPad to connect to dropbox and send the files on the HD.
reddog90
AG
I need to pick up a 70-200 f2.8 very soon. I am stuck between getting a used nikon ED VRII or a new Tamron Di VC USD G2. Any advice? Can't afford the new nikon f2.8E FL. Leaning towards the Tamron as my first 70-200.
Guitarsoup
AG
Whatever you get, get it used, especially from a place like KEH with a generous return policy. Then if you decide to upgrade later, you can get out of your lens about what you put into it. Basically free long-term rental.
dubi
AG
reddog90 said:

I need to pick up a 70-200 f2.8 very soon. I am stuck between getting a used nikon ED VRII or a new Tamron Di VC USD G2. Any advice? Can't afford the new nikon f2.8E FL. Leaning towards the Tamron as my first 70-200.
I own that Tamron and it absolutely rocks!
reddog90
AG
KEH has the nikon vrii in stock in EX+ and EX condition.... now im leaning back towards that.
reddog90
AG
Have you owned a vrii for comparison? You shoot a lot of 3 gun type matches in good light right?
dubi
AG
reddog90 said:

Have you owned a vrii for comparison?
I do not (Canon owner here).

Quote:

You shoot a lot of 3 gun type matches in good light right?
Lots "shoot" photos most every weekend at shooting matches. But I also go out in very early morning and late evening to shoot with the Tamron 2.8 and have been very happy.

I suggest you rent or borrow both before you buy.
hatchback
AG
I need a recommendation from the photo gurus on the board. I'll be traveling to Seattle, the Olympic National Park, and Mount Rainer in a couple of weeks. My wife and I will be doing day hikes while in the parks and general/architectural sightseeing while in Seattle.

I currently have a Nikon 1V1 with a couple of lenses, but nothing remarkable or telephoto. I want to rent a body and a couple of lenses for our 10 day trip.

I'm an experienced amateur photographer so will be doing more than just shooting in "auto mode" for the trip. I like the versatility with a full DLSR but not sure I want to lug all of that around for 10 days.

Thoughts? I'll likely rent through Borrow Lenses or something similar. Long-term plan is to replace the Nikon 1V1 with something else.
Guitarsoup
AG
Maybe try out Fuji.

Nikon is supposed to be launching their mirrorless in the next couple months.
bthotugigem05
AG
Sony a7iii and the 24-105 lens would be a good combo for that.
OldArmyBrent
AG
reddog90 said:

I rented the G2 and the older version separately, and the focus was a little slower on the G2. The rental company said they had the same complaint from someone else, so not sure if it was just that particular lens or a problem with the newer model.
dubi
AG
OldArmyBrent said:

reddog90 said:

I rented the G2 and the older version separately, and the focus was a little slower on the G2. The rental company said they had the same complaint from someone else, so not sure if it was just that particular lens or a problem with the newer model.
I've not noticed any focusing issue with my G2. Perhaps it was the specific lens?

The only lens i have a focus problem on is my brand new Canon 100-400.
reddog90
AG
I ended up splurging for an E+ rated VR ii from KEH. I have rented this lens twice in the past and it's been on my wish list for a while. Planning on renting a 200-500 f5.6 and using both these in a workshop in west tx later this summer.
Guitarsoup
AG
200-500 is excellent. It is also on my list of lenses to get.
hatchback
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

What's the battery life like on this? After reading reviews, it seems like the camera has an internal battery that can only be recharged via USB. Are exchangeable batteries available because I like to keep a backup batter charged in my bag when traveling?
bthotugigem05
AG
Battery life is excellent on the III (compared to the II anyway), I have no problem going out for a half day shoot with a single battery and leaving with over 50% left. Batteries are absolutely interchangeable.
hatchback
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Battery life is excellent on the III (compared to the II anyway), I have no problem going out for a half day shoot with a single battery and leaving with over 50% left. Batteries are absolutely interchangeable.

Good to know. The dpreview site made it seem like the battery wasn't interchangeable. I'll give this camera a serious consideration.
bthotugigem05
AG
They were probably saying it was annoying that the a7iii doesn't come with a separate charger for the battery.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Tamron released FE mount 28-75mm f2.8 for & $799. Good stuff!
dubi
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

Dropbox and Google drive backup will work for any file types.

OK, I'll go with dropbox as I have an acount. Thanks.

Now, I am going to be able to get the SD card contents on to a portable hard drive. Is there a way to back up that hard drive via the iPad without putting the stuff ON the iPad? That is, use the iPad to connect to dropbox and send the files on the HD.

My understanding is that dropbox sync's from the ipad. If it is possible to sync from a SD card then I am unaware of the process.

Google also says do this:
1) turn on camera upload in Dropbox
2) turn on background uploading in Dropbox
3) "always allow" location services for Dropbox

TEST TEST TEST before you go!

Make sure it uploads both pictures and video.
dubi
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I think the D750 is on sale for $1500 right now, hard to pass anything else up at that price. D610 would be a logical backup but it's just not the camera the D750 is.
Body with battery grip for $1500
hatchback
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Would you also rent a prime (looking at the Sony 35mm lens) in conjunction or should the 24-105 be sufficient for my needs?
dubi
AG
hatchback said:

bthotugigem05 said:

Would you also rent a prime (looking at the Sony 35mm lens) in conjunction or should the 24-105 be sufficient for my needs?
I've found my 24-105 will really do it all. IMO if you brought the prime you would not change lenses to take a few shots; it is too much trouble.
bthotugigem05
AG
24-105 should cover just about everything you need. You can always switch into Auto ISO to ensure you don't miss any shots, the a7iii handles higher ISOs like a champ.
bthotugigem05
AG
Friend of mine is selling her D750 for $1000 if anyone is interested, her 24-70 f2.8 for $850 also
Maximus_Meridius
AG
That the Nikon 24-70?
bthotugigem05
AG
Yes, Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 ED
AggieDruggist89
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Friend of mine is selling her D750 for $1000 if anyone is interested, her 24-70 f2.8 for $850 also

Is she going mirrorless???
bthotugigem05
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

bthotugigem05 said:

Is she going mirrorless???
She already is, she and I met on the Sony Kando trip a couple weeks ago, she shoots with an a9 and now an a7rIII which she won during the trip.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
That's a really good price if the condition is good. But I'm trying to save up for a 200-500, so I shouldn't...
johnrth
I just bought an entry level DSLR and don't know much about it. I'm watching youtube videos nightly trying to learn everything about the camera and different modes and settings. Anyways, I went to my daughters kindergarten graduation tonight and was thoroughly disappointed in the zoom on the standard 18-55mm lens it came with. My phone had better zoom. We're planning a family trip this summer to Yellowstone and after seeing the zoom I'm looking to rent a lens from on of those camera lens rental places. My question is, What is a good lens for zoom for landscape and wildlife photography? I also want to try a couple night shots as there will be a full moon on one night we are there. the camera is a Nikon D3400.
TexasAggie_02
AG
as a beginner, your 18-55 should be just fine for landscape photography. landscapes are probably the one thing that those kit lenses can do fairly well. Mainly, b/c you are using a stopped down aperture and the wider angle of view to maximize your depth of field.

as for wildlife, I would guess you'll want 200mm at the minimum. If you are planning on renting, 100-400mm would be a good choice.

**Captain Obvious** keep a safe distance from wild animals, don't end up being "that guy with the camera" that we read about in the news, or see getting mauled on youtube.
bthotugigem05
AG
What TexasAggie_02 said above, the true pros get mauled by animals on Vimeo.
TexasAggie_02
AG
B&H has a lot of their Canon L e on sale

http://www.canonrumors.com/new-specials-on-popular-canon-l-lenses-from-bh-photo/
reddog90
AG
Anyone use a Peak Designs Clutch hand strap? Or something similar? I'd like to get a hand strap soon but not sure which one to get.

https://www.peakdesign.com/clutch

Also thinking about a lenscoat for my new 70-200 vrii. Anyone run them on their big lenses? I'm not so worried about camouflaging my gear, but I feel like it would provide some protection in the duck blind.

http://www.lenscoat.com/lenscoatsuptmsup-nikon-70200-p-1035.html
First Page Last Page
Page 44 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.