Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

421,316 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
TexasAggie_02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Buy the book Understanding Exposure and really learn and practice the material.

Go look up some of his videos on YouTube as well. Guy is a hoot. He's like the Doc Brown of photography.

Jason Ag
AG
Thanks! I just bought the Understanding Exposure book and threw on "Digital Photography Complete Course". We'll look up that youtube guy, do you know his name?
TexasAggie_02
AG
Bryan Peterson, he wrote the understanding exposure book.

Adorama tv on YouTube has a lot of good video series as well.
Jason Ag
AG
Ok thanks, I need to work on my reading comprehension!
rrtodds
AG
I'm shopping for a new camera strap for my Canon EOS. I know this has been discussed..can't seem to find the comments via search. TIA.
Sam75
MBAR
AG
rrtodds said:

I'm shopping for a new camera strap for my Canon EOS. I know this has been discussed..can't seem to find the comments via search. TIA.
Best strap I've ever owned

https://www.peakdesign.com/product/straps/slide
AggieDruggist89
AG
For me, this.

http://www.blackrapid.com/all/camerastraps
hatchback
AG
A second vote for Black Rapid camera straps.
dubi
AG
hatchback said:

A second vote for Black Rapid camera straps.
+3
AggieDruggist89
AG
Good God I struggled to find a Black Rapid instruction video. Lots of videos with guys who love to hear themselves talk. STFU already...

Here's a simple video on how it works.

Guitarsoup
AG
You finished pharmacy school, but needed a video to learn how to use a camera strap?
AggieDruggist89
AG
No,

I just wanted rrtodds to see how it slides over the strap. Instruction is actually in the website.
dubi
AG
Guitarsoup said:

You finished pharmacy school, but needed a video to learn how to use a camera strap?
Priceless!
MBAR
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Good God I struggled to find a Black Rapid instruction video. Lots of videos with guys who love to hear themselves talk. STFU already...

Here's a simple video on how it works.

The functions a lot like the Peak Design strap I linked above but I like the Slide better because I don't need to screw it into my camera body. I just attach it to the anchor points. One is always on my camera and the other is on the quick release plate I keep on my camera but it could easily go on an L bracket.

flintdragon
AG
if you go with the black rapid design, be sure to buy a backup strap that attaches to the camera anchor point in case the screw breaks.
dubi
AG
flintdragon said:

if you go with the black rapid design, be sure to buy a backup strap that attaches to the camera anchor point in case the screw breaks.
I have this tether.
flintdragon
AG
dubi said:

flintdragon said:

I have this tether.
yep. I went cheap and bought a knock off along with a friend. My friend's mount screw snapped off as he was installing it. Good thing it didn't actually break while he was using it.

I bought an extra screw mount so I keep one of the body and one on the 70-200 at all times.
dubi
AG
Per a suggestion from Guitarsoup, i bought 2 of these: Arca-Swiss Compatible Fusion Plate.

You would hook your blackrapid strap to this instead of the screw plus it is a tripod mount.

TexasAggie_02
AG
https://petapixel.com/2018/05/16/canon-to-unveil-two-new-70-200mm-lenses-next-month-report/

Quote:

Canon Rumors is hearing that the official unveiling will be in early June and that one of the lenses is 100% going to be a new 70-200mm f/4L IS II. The lens will be a followup to the original 70-200mm f/4L IS that was released in November 2006 (so it's had a nice 12-year run).
Quote:

The second lens is "95%" going to be a top-of-the-line 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III, replacing the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II that was announced 8 years ago in April 2010.
AggieDruggist89
AG
How much can they improve 70-200mm f2.8 IS II?

That lens is almost perfection.
TexasAggie_02
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

more stops if IS? even faster autofocus? lighter?

just guesses
flintdragon
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

more stops if IS? even faster autofocus? lighter?

just guesses
Whatever it will be, I see owning a used version II in the coming year.
bthotugigem05
AG
In Stockholm at the moment and went into the metro to shoot the art in a few of their stations, thought yall might enjoy a few of them.

tk for tu juan
AggieDruggist89 said:

Hopefully they do not swap the locations of the zoom and focus rings like Nikon did with their recent 70-200
Guitarsoup
AG
tk for tu juan said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Hopefully they do not swap the locations of the zoom and focus rings like Nikon did with their recent 70-200

The new locations are a million times better than the old.
tk for tu juan
My unsteady hands prefer the zoom ring closer to the body
Guitarsoup
AG
Well then boy do I have a deal for you.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Travel photo backup. Leaving soon on a trip and don't want to take my MBP. I am, however, taking a 128g iPad and have my 128g iPhone as well. I'm looking at getting a device that will transfer the SD card contents to the iPad (or iPhone) where I can then back them up on iCloud and idrive. I'm thinking of also taking an external HD and putting the files on that device. These files could end up being very important and I don't want to risk losing them, so redundancy is a big issue.

Ideas?

If I do transfer the files to the (wifi) HD, is there an app through the iPad that could back those files up to idrive or other online service?
dubi
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Travel photo backup. Leaving soon on a trip and don't want to take my MBP. I am, however, taking a 128g iPad and have my 128g iPhone as well. I'm looking at getting a device that will transfer the SD card contents to the iPad (or iPhone) where I can then back them up on iCloud and idrive. I'm thinking of also taking an external HD and putting the files on that device. These files could end up being very important and I don't want to risk losing them, so redundancy is a big issue.

Ideas?

If I do transfer the files to the (wifi) HD, is there an app through the iPad that could back those files up to idrive or other online service?
If you have iCloud backup turned on for photos with your iPad, it will backup automatically at night when connected to WiFi AND plugged in. There is also a "backup now" button you can press.

Other apps for Dropbox, Google drive, etc can configured to backup photos also.
javajaws
AG
In my hunt for something smaller and lighter than my FF Canon gear I decided on the Panny G9. I initially wanted to get a smaller body, but kept finding too many compromises in everything I looked at. I agonized for days (weeks?) over u43 vs APS-C but in the end I loved the features available on the G9 and how it felt in my hand. After I invest in some lenses I may buy a second smaller u43 body (used probably) for those times I want something even smaller).

Why I didn't get Sony a6500 - don't care for the direction Sony is going with emphasis on full frame and didn't want to invest in their APS-C system given that. Also don't care for their build quality, menus, and pricy lenses.

Why I didn't get Fuji X-t2 / X-t20: Lack of IBIS mostly. That and lack of feature set compared to G9 in general. Liked their prime lens options though. These were my runners up.

Why I didn't go Olympus: Build quality, reliability reputation (of their bodies - I'll probably get some Oly lenses), general "feel" and style I didn't care for.

Why I went with G9: overall feature set, IBIS, touchscreen, AF joystick, feel in hand. View through VF looks great to me compared to other lower end u43 cameras. Oh, and I got it for $300 less than current list price.

Picked up a used Panny 20 f/1.7 for $180 until I can decide what lenses I want to get.

Here's a bit of size comparison (yeah, vastly different lenses...semi ignore that):

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
AZAG08
AG
Looks good. I picked up a u43 last year and find myself taking it a lot more places than my canon
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

If you have iCloud backup turned on for photos with your iPad, it will backup automatically

The thing is that they will mostly be videos with a file format that the Photos app may not recognize.
dubi
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

If you have iCloud backup turned on for photos with your iPad, it will backup automatically

The thing is that they will mostly be videos with a file format that the Photos app may not recognize.
Dropbox and Google drive backup will work for any file types.

You can certainly test this tomorrow and not wait until you are out of the country.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Welcome to u43 world!!

So many great lenses!
HECUBUS
AG
D5S? I see some places dropping the D5 to under $5k.

First Page Last Page
Page 43 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.