Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

417,252 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
MBAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AG 2000' said:

Any recommendations for a backup to my d750? Want something full frame but I can't justify another 750 or higher, just don't do enough.

Thanks.
What do you want to do with the 2nd body?
bthotugigem05
AG
I think the D750 is on sale for $1500 right now, hard to pass anything else up at that price. D610 would be a logical backup but it's just not the camera the D750 is.
TexasAggie_02
AG
labmansid said:

I thought I remembered you were using a 6D. I wish it had an intervalometer feature built-in. Sucks about your old one.

If you are confident in your ability to not turn your camera into a brick, you can install Magic Lantern on it. One of the features is an intervalometer. I've been running magic lantern on my 6D for 4 years.

It also has a motion trigger, that I've been able to use to catch lightning strikes.

magiclantern.fm
labmansid
TexasAggie_02 said:

labmansid said:

I thought I remembered you were using a 6D. I wish it had an intervalometer feature built-in. Sucks about your old one.

If you are confident in your ability to not turn your camera into a brick, you can install Magic Lantern on it. One of the features is an intervalometer. I've been running magic lantern on my 6D for 4 years.

It also has a motion trigger, that I've been able to use to catch lightning strikes.

magiclantern.fm
I actually did install Magic Lantern on my 6D maybe a couple of years ago, mostly to try out the intervalometer aspect of it. It does work, but I already had a Vello and for some reason found that easier to use at the time. I could be remembering wrong, but seems like the LCD screen needed to stay on for Magic Lantern to work, which brought up battery concerns for long time lapse projects.
AgGunNut
AG
Looking to move from crop sensor to FF, so the 70D has to go

Cross-post from Classifieds.
setsmachine
AG
Question about photos: our family recently did a photo shoot for a local magazine, and the photographer gave us the option to purchase a download of the entire photo shoot through Smugmug (thought we would just get access to them since he was already paid by the mag but no biggie). So I just paid for it and downloaded all "high-res" pics, and it seems to me they're not so high-res after all. Right-click properties says each of the photos is about 300kb, 2000x1333, and 100dpi. Also included were the touched up pics that appeared in the magazine, and their info says 300dpi, 2400x1600 and 1-2MB each.

I'm a novice at understanding dpi and file size for printing. I know it's not all about size -- my dslr can take huge photos that don't look anywhere as good as these professional ones -- but if we were hoping to print some 16x20 canvases, are these even gonna work? Appreciate any help.
Guitarsoup
AG
2400x1600 will look fine on a 16x20" canvas.

I have no clue why people down-res their sizes. We deliver everything in full resolution and also give a separate web-res that is better for emailing.
jaggiemaggie
AG
Is there a reason to get the D810 instead of D750?
Guitarsoup
AG
The D810 has more megapixels, I think it has better auto focus, and a sturdier/more heavy duty body.

The D750 is probably the better buy.
rrtodds
AG
Finally ready to move from my well traveled and trusty 60D to a FF. I am looking at renting a Canon 7D Mark ii. I think I'm correct that my EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens will work on the FF. So..looking for any advice and/or suggestions. Right now planning on renting via BorrowLenses and getting it in a couple of weeks. Thoughts?
Maximus_Meridius
AG
I think the 810 also lacks an anti-aliasing filter, while the D750 has one, but I might be mistaken there.
AgGunNut
AG
7D is still a crop sensor btw.
dubi
AG
Quote:

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens will work on the FF
Correct.

EF-S lenses only work on crop sensor bodies.
rrtodds
AG
So for a FF...what do you all recommend? My lens is NOT an EF-S..it's EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM. Thoughts on the EOS 5D Mark?
Guitarsoup
AG
Depends on budget. If you are sticking with Canon, the 6D is a good value as is the 5D3.
rrtodds
AG
Thanks...
labmansid
I have a buddy looking to sell a used 5D MKIII. Don't know how much he is asking, but can find out later.
rrtodds
AG
Thanks...I'd appreciate that!
91AggieLawyer
AG
Small travel bag recs plese. I have a Panny GH4, 2 small lenses, a couple of batteries, and the cards. Would actually like space for a second body and possibly a voice recorder. If an iPad 9.7 and charger can fit in there, all the better. Looking at the Lowepro sling something but I'd rather go as non-descript as possible.

Also does anyone have and use those pacsafe bags that lock and you can attach them to something fixed?
AggieDruggist89
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Small travel bag recs plese. I have a Panny GH4, 2 small lenses, a couple of batteries, and the cards. Would actually like space for a second body and possibly a voice recorder. If an iPad 9.7 and charger can fit in there, all the better. Looking at the Lowepro sling something but I'd rather go as non-descript as possible.

Also does anyone have and use those pacsafe bags that lock and you can attach them to something fixed?

I carry my u43 camera, lenses and batteries in my backpack with other things and not a separate camera bag when traveling.
BMo
labmansid said:

I have a buddy looking to sell a used 5D MKIII. Don't know how much he is asking, but can find out later.
That would be me. It is like new, bought early February.

5DmkIII for sale

BCSWguru
where can you get photos like this? looking for a template to add some party photos to, want to go with a retro style....

rrtodds
AG
Sending you an email...would like to see it.
BMo
rrtodds said:

Sending you an email...would like to see it.
I got it and will be in touch.
Jason Ag
AG
I just bought a Pentax K-70 on Amazon for my wife. She's always loved photography but is a very frugal person, frankly I should have done this many years ago.

I also probably should have consulted here first, I did get a warehouse deal on it for $220 off the normal price (has a tiny spec of glue on one if the port covers).

I don't know anything about photography, any thoughts would be appreciated. I've bought the following so far:

K-70 Pentax with 18-155mm
35 mm lens
Extra battery (pentax brand)
2 - 64 gig high speed SD, & high speed sd to usb
dubi
AG
I shot this leaving the range today. Tamron 70-200 2.8.

Jason Ag
AG
Awesome pic! Might be a dumb question, but is the background real or photoshop?
TexasAggie_02
AG
dubi said:

did you use an extension tube?
dubi
AG
Jason Ag said:

Awesome pic! Might be a dumb question, but is the background real or photoshop?

Original raw image. Photo above is is cropped and color corrected, but the background is real. Shooting with a 2.8 lens blurs the background (bokeh).
dubi
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

dubi said:

did you use an extension tube?
No.
dubi
AG
My son snapped an iphone photo of me taking the pic posted above.

Your friends and family get used to you randomly stopping the car to grab a pretty shot. I saw the butterfly and slammed on the brakes and hoped it did not fly away.

AggieDruggist89
AG
Obligatory...

Happy mothers day.

dubi
AG
That is hilarious!
dubi
AG
Jason Ag said:

I just bought a Pentax K-70 on Amazon for my wife. She's always loved photography but is a very frugal person, frankly I should have done this many years ago.

I also probably should have consulted here first, I did get a warehouse deal on it for $220 off the normal price (has a tiny spec of glue on one if the port covers).

I don't know anything about photography, any thoughts would be appreciated. I've bought the following so far:

K-70 Pentax with 18-155mm
35 mm lens
Extra battery (pentax brand)
2 - 64 gig high speed SD, & high speed sd to usb
My totally amateur suggestion is to take photos every weekend for a few months. Inside/outside plus up close and far away. You will figure out where you might have a gap in your lens collection.

For me borrowing a lens from Guitarsoup allowed to to figure out how I like to shoot. I use my 70-200 95% of the time when I am outdoors and it is a great "macro" lens assuming you can get far enough away. 24-105 for indoors.
Guitarsoup
AG
Buy the book Understanding Exposure and really learn and practice the material.

First Page Last Page
Page 42 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.