Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

420,464 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It will cut glare but not sure about haze
91AggieLawyer
AG
Does anyone have a Pana GH4? The one I just got, the front dial (by the shutter release button) won't move. I can't find it but wonder if this is a setting or if not, what it means to the operation of the camara. I'm going to call tech support tomorrow but I need this at the end of May and can't send it off.
AggieDruggist89
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Does anyone have a Pana GH4? The one I just got, the front dial (by the shutter release button) won't move. I can't find it but wonder if this is a setting or if not, what it means to the operation of the camara. I'm going to call tech support tomorrow but I need this at the end of May and can't send it off.

I have a GH2 and that dial is on the back by thumb rest. It scrolls aperture and or shutter speed. Did you try pressing down to scroll?
91AggieLawyer
AG
There are 2 dials on the GH4. The front one is above the shutter release and operated by the index finger and the one in the back, operated by the thumb as you have it. It is funny that your GH2 has the dial in the back because my GH1 has one dial in the front, though it is below the shutter release.

I've never seen a dial on a camera not move and can't figure out what is causing it.
TexAgsAnon
Press in on the dial...maybe it has a locking feature?
91AggieLawyer
AG
There's no pressing and no locking feature that I can find. It is almost assuredly defective. Now, what to do about it.

NM; returned.
HECUBUS
AG
Volleyball ended in the darkest gym of the season, the George R Brown Convention Center. I will be looking for an upgrade next season. I'm not looking forward to paying for it as the daughter will quit volleyball for sure once I pony up the cash for worthy optics.

The best I could do was f/3.2 at 46mm and 1/800 ss. Not very good in a dark gym.

In hindsight, for junior volleyball my wish would be:
50 - 135mm (You are close to the action)
F/1.8 minimum (I needed 4000 iso at f/3.2 for 1/800 in the darkest gym, even 1/800 isn't fast enough for me.)

To add one last comment. I'll be looking at 50-100 f1.8 lenses. This is all new to me other than knowing what I would like next season after suffering through my first with a Luminex.
AZAG08
AG
Quote:

I'm not looking forward to paying for it as the daughter will quit volleyball for sure once I pony up the cash for worthy optics.
But at least you will have a nice new lens out of it
flintdragon
AG
I was just there too! It's the worst tournament as far as lighting is concerned. But my usual settings turn out ok on my setup.

ISO 3200, 1/800, 2.8

Better places I can bump to 1/1000.
I always need to run through lightroom to make them look awesome.

I do agree my 70-200mm can be a little too close but only when I'm standing near the net and the action is right on me.

HECUBUS
AG
Have to get a new camera too. Probably a D500 and a 50mm 1.4. I'm cheap.
HECUBUS
AG
Yep. That was a long tourney, about seven hours Saturday and Sunday. At least the Marriott was nice.
flintdragon
AG
Our first day started at 8am and ended at 7:30pm. It was pretty fun though.

I'm also cheap. I was able to find a 1Dmark3 on a recommendation from guitarsoup (I think). That cost me $400. Then patience got me the 70-200 2.8 IS for $800.

It's a nice setup though you don't get the crazy MPs or other niceties. Color is awesome on it, 10MP is plenty and 10fps is super nice.
Guitarsoup
AG
HECUBUS said:

Have to get a new camera too. Probably a D500 and a 50mm 1.4. I'm cheap.
Don't get the Nikon 50 1.4. If you are shooting VB, 85 1.8 is a much better choice for about the same money.
HECUBUS
AG
I was just looking at my last photos, 46mm was too wide angle, even on the side lines. I've got a while before the next season starts. Any good 85mm 1.4 lenses?

Ouch. $1k more for the 1.4.
Guitarsoup
AG
85 1.8 is a fantastic lens, especially for the money (3-400 used.) That goes for Canon or Nikon.

1.8 to 1.4 doesn't even gain you a stop of light.

MonkeyKnifeFighter
HECUBUS
AG
I just looked at some nice VB photos with a D600 and 85mm 1.8. Good thing I have time. FX or DX? So many options.
Guitarsoup
AG
Do not recommend shooting sports with a manual focus lens.

D600 is full frame
D500 is crop
HECUBUS
AG
D850 with 85 mm 1.8 would do for junior VB.

Farm Credit needs to deliver a fat patronage distribution this year!
Guitarsoup
AG
Don't forget the grip and the big battery so you can rip it at 9fps
flintdragon
AG
85mm on a crop might tight for some shots. I know at 70mm with small crop factor on 1Dm3 is too close sometimes.
HECUBUS
AG
Ha, ha. Yes, I would like that too. Uhg. D5?
HECUBUS
AG
Yep. A 50 - 100 mm constant 1.8 would be ideal with an FX. I'll have to save pennies just to get to decent.
bthotugigem05
AG
a7iii is phenomenal so far, what a value for the money!
HECUBUS
AG
Nice. I did learn that faster frames per second and a bigger buffer is desirable in VB. You want the pass, set and hit. It's all about the shots you almost got that haunt you as you search through the 1000 photos/match.

Sony a7R III with the FE 24-70mm f/2.8 would be nice. GAS is fun when your shopping. Her film making broseph will be glad to inherit whatever.
Jethro95
AG
New Nikon price drops.

D750 down to $1496.......runs off to file price match for last months purchase.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Hmm, that's what I paid for my refurbished model a week or so ago...

I'm in freaking love with this thing, btw. It's almost a comical upgrade to my D60.
Jethro95
AG
I've had the D7000 since it came out and this is one hell of an upgrade!
Guitarsoup
AG
D750 is by far the best deal in cameras and has been since it was released. That price is just stupid great.

Also, I would bet the D750 replacement is announced in August or September.
MBAR
AG
Soooooooooooooooooo my intervalometer took a bath in the Pedernales river last night so I'm gonna pick up a new one. Do any of you have one that you like? I usually just pick up a cheap one on amazon, but I might get something nicer this time.
labmansid
MBAR said:

Soooooooooooooooooo my intervalometer took a bath in the Pedernales river last night so I'm gonna pick up a new one. Do any of you have one that you like? I usually just pick up a cheap one on amazon, but I might get something nicer this time.
What camera are you using? Some, especially newer ones, have that feature built in.

Otherwise, I have been using one of the Vello Shutterboss models.

I also recently got a Pluto Trigger. I haven't really had a chance yet to put it through the paces, but it looks to be useful for a lot of things, one being as an intervalometer. Not as cheap as a standalone, but more versatile as well.
MBAR
AG
labmansid said:

MBAR said:

What camera are you using? Some, especially newer ones, have that feature built in.

Otherwise, I have been using one of the Vello Shutterboss models.

I also recently got a Pluto Trigger. I haven't really had a chance yet to put it through the paces, but it looks to be useful for a lot of things, one being as an intervalometer. Not as cheap as a standalone, but more versatile as well.
I need one for my 6d. I recently got a T7i as a second body, but mostly for video and to have a crop sensor to extend my lense so I don't think I'll do much in the way of time lapses with it.
labmansid
I thought I remembered you were using a 6D. I wish it had an intervalometer feature built-in. Sucks about your old one.
MBAR
AG
labmansid said:

I thought I remembered you were using a 6D. I wish it had an intervalometer feature built-in. Sucks about your old one.
Yeah I was just careless when I was moving my tripod and it flew off. It was a pretty cheap one off Amazon so no big loss. It did the job but wasn't expensive. I have an app that will connect to the camera and it has an intervalometer function but then I can't use my phone for anything else and its a bit buggy.

The trigger you posted above seems pretty neat and its tempting, though.
FTAG 2000
AG
Any recommendations for a backup to my d750? Want something full frame but I can't justify another 750 or higher, just don't do enough.

Thanks.
First Page Last Page
Page 41 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.